Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• It’s goals that win matches and promotion. We havnt got enough goals in us just yet in my opinion. We need a striker to complement Stockley and chip in with 15+ and a goal scorer from midfield to score us 10. Add Chuks off the bench and we might well be in business.
    A man after my own heart. Unless we strengthen upfront we wont be going anywhere fast. Currently we are a man down from last season - and that didnt end to well. You can't go into a season with just 3 main striker, one of whom is young, loaned out last season & frankly not League 1 material & another who can't play 90 mins, especially not 2x90 mins. 
    I think the streghtening is more likely to come with another winger type. I wouldn't be surprised if we do just go with the 3 we've got, although I agree I'd replace Davison. But we don't need more than 3 out and out strikers in a 433. 
  • edited June 2022
    I think anyone who thinks we can get promoted by only adding another 4 or so is off their head personally. 
    I don't know how many more we can realistically add to a squad that's already 18+ strong while staying under the squad cap.

Assuming no further outgoings, the left side of the defence and up front are the only remaining areas where we do not have enough bodies. The question of whether what we have is good enough for promotion is a different question.

I'd love to turn those four into seven by moving on Gilbey, Morgan and Davison but football transfers don't always work out the way you want them to. If it was up to me trying to overhaul a squad, I wouldn't have kept Inniss or signed Chuks either but they aren't going anywhere.
  • It’s goals that win matches and promotion. We havnt got enough goals in us just yet in my opinion. We need a striker to complement Stockley and chip in with 15+ and a goal scorer from midfield to score us 10. Add Chuks off the bench and we might well be in business.
    I think we have big problems if we’re planning on using Aneke as an impact sub.  That only leaves Stockley as our main attacker, and him alongside a Kirk/DJ in a 4-3-3 doesn’t inspire confidence.  Stockley’s touch is poor and he can’t hold the ball up.  He’s good with his head getting on the end of crosses, making a nuisance of himself, but has very little ability with the ball at his feet.  It’s the same problem if we modify it to a 4-5-1.

He/we need a much better ball playing forward if Aneke is to be used as coming off the bench.  Either someone like Yann who could hold the ball up and have that sort of first touch, or Lyle Taylor who used to pull players out wide and run at them with pace.  Aneke coming off the bench is fine, but only if we bring in better than Stockley 
  • GKs: Wollacott, MacGillivray, Harness

Right footed defenders: Egbo, Lavelle, O'Connell, Inniss

Left footed defenders: O'Connell(??)

Right footed midfielders: Dobson, Gilbey, Morgan, Blackett-Taylor, DJ, Clare

Left footed midfielders: Forster-Caskey, Fraser, Kirk

Strikers: Stockley, Aneke, Davison
  • I think anyone who thinks we can get promoted by only adding another 4 or so is off their head personally. 
    I don't know how many more we can realistically add to a squad that's already 18+ strong while staying under the squad cap.

Assuming no further outgoings, the left side of the defence and up front are the only remaining areas where we do not have enough bodies. The question of whether what we have is good enough for promotion is a different question.

I'd love to turn those four into seven by moving on Gilbey, Morgan and Davison but football transfers don't always work out the way you want them to. If it was up to me trying to overhaul a squad, I wouldn't have kept Inniss or signed Chuks either but they aren't going anywhere.
    Agreed, and then we won't go anywhere. If we're keeping Morgan, Gilbey and Davison then no chance we finish top 6. Appreciate we only have 4/5 slots left although you'd expect us to get 1/2 U21s. 

Of course we also have the option of simply leaving people out of the squad but I'd imagine funding will stop that. 
  • Yeah, I think June might be a little early to start panicking. 
  • I think anyone who thinks we can get promoted by only adding another 4 or so is off their head personally. 
    We could, we won't though.

If we signed 4 players of the standard that these were in league 1, (positions picked for obvious reasons) Wiggins, Aribo, KAG and Taylor, we could well be there or there abouts.

We won't sigh 4 players of that calibre so we need at least 6 or 7.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    I think anyone who thinks we can get promoted by only adding another 4 or so is off their head personally. 

If we signed 4 players of the standard that these were in league 1, (positions picked for obvious reasons) Wiggins, Aribo, KAG and Taylor, we could well be there or there abouts.

Even with those 4 we'd have a strong side but the lack of depth, particularly at the back would kill us. 
  • I expect three more permanents and four or five loans. Any less than 7 more won't be enough.

Kirks left foot is worse than mine!!  The most right footed left winger I have ever seen, including Millar.

Mid table at best.
  • Nothing has changed, judge the overall recruitment process once the season has started , if someone started slagging any job off before it’s finished, we’d tell them to wait until it’s finished. It’s generally the same people moaning about recruitment that are picking at every little issue they can towards TS. I’m assuming the doubters that feel so strongly won’t be going to support the team, seeing as TS is treating staff and running the club so abysmally?. If by the time the season starts we are in no better a position, then TS and the process deserves to be questioned. Until then people need to let them get on with it because the constant shit being slung they’re way is mostly just unnecessary and unhelpful. There is probably plenty going on and we will all get some nice surprises……..hopefully.🤞
  • I'd reckon we need:
    2 Left backs
    1 Left Centre back
    1 Attacking midfielder
    1 Striker

Would be nice to have:
    1 Right back (Clare could fill in)
    1 Winger
    Disagree.

We've already got a new keeper, right back, centre back.  

Then we’ve got two midfielders and a winger who hardly played at all who will seem like new signings.  

That’s 6 changes to the XI already, a fourth signing would make it 7.  Meaning all we have left from last season is Stockley, Dobson and CBT who are 3 of our best players.  

The starting XI has had and still is having its overhaul we all wanted, and you want another 4???

3? 😂
  • I'd reckon we need:
    2 Left backs
    1 Left Centre back
    1 Attacking midfielder
    1 Striker

Would be nice to have:
    1 Right back (Clare could fill in)
    1 Winger
    Agree, except that we need to lose two of our existing MF before another can come in. Left side of defense must me the priority, then a replacement for Washington.
  • Sponsored links:

• 17 players on Spain who count towards the 22 man squad cap so we have at least five potential spaces.

More if we sell or loan out others.
  • 17 players on Spain who count towards the 22 man squad cap so we have at least five potential spaces.

More if we sell or loan out others.
    Wouldn’t be surprised to see some moved on once BG has run the rule over the Spain trip and pre season. 
  • We’ll certainly be playing much more on the front foot this season so we can expect to make more chances than in recent seasons. That should increase the goals potential for every player on the pitch. Looks like Garner likes plenty of shots too so I’m expecting even the players with question marks over them to score a few more. Can never score too many goals though. 
    Disagree.

We've already got a new keeper, right back, centre back.  

Then we’ve got two midfielders and a winger who hardly played at all who will seem like new signings.  

That’s 6 changes to the XI already, a fourth signing would make it 7.  Meaning all we have left from last season is Stockley, Dobson and CBT who are 3 of our best players.  

The starting XI has had and still is having its overhaul we all wanted, and you want another 4???
    I wasn't referring to 4 players just for the starting XI, I mean overall. I don't disagree with anything you've said. 
  • edited June 2022
    THE 🗡️🐟 PREDICTS! 😱 (Just when you thought it was safe to get back in the water) 

All the comments below are made tongue in cheek BTW 

After much soul searching, I'm retiring the feature as of today. It goes without saying it's one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make, but I do so now for the following reasons:-

1) I'm worried that some Lifers maybe losing their shirts at the bookies because of my terrible tips;

2) Although it's just a bit of fun, I suspect it irritates some who'd rather it didn't appear here, not that my guesses have been any less successful than the more educated ones though;

3) My wife's been asking me some awkward questions about my feelings for this Luke Jephcott having read the response to an earlier post, claims made that I "fancy him" completely unfounded I might add;   

4) No one liked my Conchita Wurst/Ben Garner 'lookalike' post (page 191) - Tough crowd on here, so now I've got the right hump;

5) Perhaps most importantly of all, it is, in fact, a steaming pile of horse sh*t.

One final clue for today though:- An eagle of yesteryear. His surname begins with a personal hygiene problem and, although it isn't double barrelled, the second part precedes two smoking ones in the title of a famous film featuring Vinnie Jones. (This one's far too easy!) 

Right, I've said what I've come on here to say and now I'm done with it. Let's see some more actual signings please  😎
  • swordfish said:
    THE 🗡️🐟 PREDICTS! 😱 (Just when you thought it was safe to get back in the water) 

All the comments below are made tongue in cheek BTW 

After much soul searching, I'm retiring the feature as of today. It goes without saying it's one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make, but I do so now for the following reasons:-

1) I'm worried that some Lifers maybe losing their shirts at the bookies because of my terrible tips;

2) Although it's just a bit of fun, I suspect it irritates some who'd rather it didn't appear here, not that my guesses have been any less successful than the more educated ones though;

3) My wife's been asking me some awkward questions about my feelings for this Luke Jephcott having read the response to an earlier post, claims made that I "fancy him" completely unfounded I might add;   

4) No one liked my Concita Wurst/Ben Garner 'lookalike' post (page 191) - Tough crowd on here, so now I've got the right hump;

5) Perhaps most importantly of all, it is, in fact, a steaming pile of horse sh*t.

One final clue for today though:- An eagle of yesteryear. His surname begins with a personal hygiene problem and, although it isn't double barrelled, the second part precedes two smoking ones in the title of a famous film featuring Vinnie Jones. (This one's far too easy!) 

Right, I've said what I've come on here to say and now I'm done with it. Let's see some more actual signings please  😎
    Vinnie also featured in the movie Swordfish. But I expect you knew that.  As did the cheaper, slower version of one of my old cars, which, imo, it was the star of the movie! 
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Even with those 4 we'd have a strong side but the lack of depth, particularly at the back would kill us. 
    I don't know, are we just conditioned to a permanent injury crisis?  Obviously you have the Inniss factor but until we got our hands on him Lavelle had hardly missed a game in his career.  
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I don't know, are we just conditioned to a permanent injury crisis?  Obviously you have the Inniss factor but until we got our hands on him Lavelle had hardly missed a game in his career.  
    I probably do want more depth than necessary because of injuries. Although even if Lavelle stays fit all season I can't see how we don't need another CB. Three reliable CB's are enough plus the likes of Deji and Clare but Inniss is anything but reliable. 
  • Almost all clubs have 4 senior centre backs, maybe even 5 if they regularly play 3 at the back.