Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Sage said:
    You’d expect if we have put an offer on the table to Payne and show that we’re serious, he would join.

He’s from London, the most productive season of his career so far was with our current manager, we are a league above Swindon and he ought to have ambitions of proving himself at this league with a view of getting into the Championship.

For those of us that like stats, he’s played and scored the same amount of Southend and Swindon in all competitions. 88 appearances, 17 goals.

His best season in League One came with Bradford City, 9 goals in 39 games. Bradford finished bottom that season.

In a team that keeps the ball and ought to be creating lots of chances, with better players around him, he should join us with the expectation on himself to get close to double figures from midfield.
    He still got shortlisted for the Bradford City team of the decade, some familiar names in it as well.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/widthofapost.com/2019/12/11/the-bradford-city-team-of-the-decade/amp/

Payne and Reed were probably to the two most important players to the way Swindon played and the two that have been good in league 1 before.  Probably the two roles we least need now.  I know you can't sign the players in order of priority but I think there would have to be a significant out going before one of them came in.

As much as it would be good I really can't see us bringing in another senior midfielder.
  • Just as rumours around players coming in has been very quiet it might be the same for outgoings.

I’d say 5 or 6 CMs is enough:

DM - Dobson (Reed/JFC?)
    LCM - Fraser and JFC (or Payne?)
    RCM - McGrandles and Gilbey/Morgan (or Williams?)

That’s without Henry, Anderson etc or anyone else they might be looking at outside of Swindon.

We may want to go with 5 so the u23s have more of a pathway and we’re not spending decent wages on CMs who can’t make the bench when everyone’s available.
  • edited July 2022
    Remember Blair's education, education, education.

Left back, Left back, Left back should be every Charlton fan's mantra.

LWB in a 3-5-2. Attacking LB in 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 etc, Left back who can get up and down that left flank who is a natural LEFT footed player.

Since the day Ged Roddy left, Roddy junior has disappeared off the scene. He was an u18 or possible U23 but he was well out of his depth when he was our only fit LB at the club. You would've thought there was nepotism occuring ?

The lesson learnt from last season was don't play a RB at LB if you have any ambition of attacking and it's a nightmare when defending if the opposition have Pacey forwards, RWB or midfielders who charge down the right flank.

A natural LB will join ASAP or otherwise Clayden is the only option ? JFC doesn't have the pace to play there though in a friendly against a non League side it won't matter but you are wasting another game where you could bed in the new LB.
  • SOTF said:
    I’d be amazed if we made an offer to Jack Payne without offloading someone. We have 3 midfield spots covered by JFC, Morgan, Gilbey, Fraser, Macgrandles  and Dobson.

Im sure we’d love Payne to join us but there’s definitely 2-3 other priorities that need fixing.
    Morgan and Gilbey are not good enough for a promotion push. 
    Offload one of them or possibly offer one in part exchange. 
    Either way Payne is better than both of them and is one we should try to sign.
  • edited July 2022
    Any names for this LWB or attacking LB position? It doesn't have to be from a town in Wiltshire with the magic Roundabouts.
  • Sponsored links:

• Seth, since the Bosman ruling pro players are in such a better position since the days I was talking to Mark Stuart at London Bridge station after training as he made his way back to west London where he lived.
    Mark told me he was collecting the keys for his new house nearer to Sparrows lane in a week's time. 
    That will be better for you I said to Stuart.

Six weeks later Mark Stuart was sold to Plymouth !
  • So what movements are we expecting to see over the next couple of weeks? No rumours, but surely we must be looking at:

Ins:
    2 x left back/wing back
    1 x centre back
    1 x winger (ideally a player comfortable on both sides)
    1 x central midfielder
    1 x striker

outs:
    Davison - hardworking but unconvinced at league one level let alone, if we get promoted
    Morgan - full season loan at league one or top league two level - will do him and us better than him being in an out of the side which I don’t think is good for his confidence and he is a confidence player it would appear 

Keeps: Dependent on the type of left back/left wing back we get, we know that Kirk can be pretty useful at this level (particularly on the assists front) and did not shame himself by all accounts at Blackpool, so personally I would keep him. 

Leaburn and Kanu - if Davison goes, I would prefer to keep hold of and use Leaburn and Kanu as needed throughout the season, combined with Stockley, Chuks and another new forward. Hopefully our main strikers will remain fitter this season, but equally our gems ought to be given their chances too and am excited to see them play at senior level.
  • Scoham said:
    Interesting view of signings made across L1, with four so far we’re doing pretty well. Already out of date as Derby have started signing players.
    Saw Derby’s four signings, not moved at all by any of them, they’ll be lucky to make top half IMO.  
  • SOTF said:
    I’d be amazed if we made an offer to Jack Payne without offloading someone. We have 3 midfield spots covered by JFC, Morgan, Gilbey, Fraser, Macgrandles  and Dobson.

Im sure we’d love Payne to join us but there’s definitely 2-3 other priorities that need fixing.
    Morgan and Gilbey are not good enough for a promotion push. 
    Offload one of them or possibly offer one in part exchange. 
    Either way Payne is better than both of them and is one we should try to sign.
    No doubt he’d improve us. But we’re not in a fantasy league. It’s real money, of which our owner is losing a lot already.

As I said I’m sure we’d love to sign him, but you can’t force players under contract to leave and if we can’t shift someone whose spot do we sacrifice? Another striker? A Left back?

Until someone leaves it’s a financial gamble.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bumped into Thomas on Friday at The Valley.  He was waiting for a taxi to the Airport as he was flying home then flying coming back Tuesday so don't expect any signings until Wednesday 😉

Re: the U23s game at Deal yesterday.  Did any of the academy players offered deals back in May play? Or not as the case maybe.

Adigan? Anderson? Leaburn was in Spain but who else hadn't signed.
  • Pompey interested in Jack Payne and Dorking's striker Alfie Rutherford.

http://d3d4football.com/exclusive-portsmouth-face-fight-to-land-30-goal-non-league-ace/

Suggests Rutherford's attracted a lot of interest from third tier clubs, I wonder if that includes us?
  • edited July 2022
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    A Charlton player can’t be offered to anybody without their agreement.
    If players feel they are being treated like chattels they need to up their Trade Union game, stand by one another, and take industrial action if it is warranted and if the Trade Union laws are followed.
    Course they can. We can ring Swindon and offer them cash plus Davison for Reed for example. Davison of course doesn’t have to accept the move but nothing wrong with informing clubs that X is available and Y is available to loan. That’s exactly what being transfer/loan listed means 
    Of course you are right.
    Which would make the position of the player even worse if treated that way without their agreement.
    Josh Davison is trucking along doing his work at Charlton and behind his back he is offered out as available.
    Really?
    If he is formally listed as available for loan or transfer that is another thing, but that particular formality surely has to be agreed by the contracted player.
    For others to suggest a player can be used as ballast in a deal is a nasty cavalier approach to the player/worker.
    How do you know that Davison hasn’t been told that he’s surplus to requirements and his agent isnt currently trying to find him a new club? Also, do you think that Washington got his move that quickly? His agent would have been working on things since at least January. I know he was out of contract but it works both ways. Football is unlike most businesses when it comes to workers rights and in my opinion players generally hold the cards when it comes to moves.
    If Davison has been told something regarding his future does  anybody know?
    Certainly not me, but I do know he is under contract.
    I am curious about your comment regarding workers ‘rights’. Isn’t the law supposed to work the same for all workers unless there are specific contractual clauses?
    As for Washington, for whatever reason he has achieved a good transfer to a higher grade.
  • edited July 2022
    Bumped into Thomas on Friday at The Valley.  He was waiting for a taxi to the Airport as he was flying home then flying coming back Tuesday so don't expect any signings until Wednesday 😉

Re: the U23s game at Deal yesterday.  Did any of the academy players offered deals back in May play? Or not as the case maybe.

Adigun, Toure, Reilly and Ladapo all played.  Leaburn is in Spain.  Anderson is already signed up professionally.  Not sure on the keeper or older two who were offered extensions (Williams one I think)
  • Bumped into Thomas on Friday at The Valley.  He was waiting for a taxi to the Airport as he was flying home then flying coming back Tuesday so don't expect any signings until Wednesday 😉

Adigun, Toure, Reilly and Ladapo all played.  Leaburn is in Spain.  Anderson is already signed up professionally.  Not sure on the keeper or older two who were offered extensions (Williams one I think)
    Cheers, not on the OS but seems likely they have signed.

Even if still negotiating they certainly haven't signed elsewhere.

@scoham or anyone? Who were the academy players named on the OS as having been offered deals?
  • Scoham said:
    Bumped into Thomas on Friday at The Valley.  He was waiting for a taxi to the Airport as he was flying home then flying coming back Tuesday so don't expect any signings until Wednesday 😉

@scoham or anyone? Who were the academy players named on the OS as having been offered deals?
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/view/6286075ee9cf5/academy-update-retained-and-released-players

The club have offered contracts to Euan Williams and Nathan Harvey.

Jason Adigun, Tolu Ladapo, Miles Leaburn, Mack Reilly and Seydil Toure have all been offered new contracts with the club.
    So all appear at Deal (done Deal) or were in Spain.

Seems a good pointer that they have all signed.
  • edited July 2022
    Scoham said:

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/view/6286075ee9cf5/academy-update-retained-and-released-players

The club have offered contracts to Euan Williams and Nathan Harvey.

Jason Adigun, Tolu Ladapo, Miles Leaburn, Mack Reilly and Seydil Toure have all been offered new contracts with the club.
    So all appear at Deal (done Deal) or were in Spain.

Seems a good pointer that they have all signed.
    Does it? Or just that they're not at new clubs yet.

I hope you're right of course! 
  • _MrDick said:

To be fair, he’s been here a while so he probably does need to change his pants and put some deodorant on
    He needs to put the bins out too. He doesn't want to miss the Monday green bin collection.