Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Is it me or does it feel like the general majority view among fans is that Alfie May is the next Ajose, whilst Cole Stockton is the next best thing since sliced bread - even though they actually both have very similar records leading up to having one good season last year where they both scored 26 league goals.

I don't think I would risk spending the money on either to be honest.
    1. Different playing styles
    2. Streaks of goals
    3. Calibre of teammates

- Although their records are identical, it’s what Stockton is able to bring to the team past his goalscoring that makes him more likely to kick on IMO. If May doesn’t score, what does he bring?

- May is also a streakier goalscorer. Stockton scored his 23 goals from 19 different games whereas May’s 23 came from 16 games including four in one match against Wycombe. Is that going to happen for him again?

- Of all the players, I was most impressed by Stockton when Morecambe visited the Valley. In contrast, I was more impressed by Cheltenham’s midfielders than I was by Alfie May earlier in the season. It’s only one game for each but it makes me lean towards thinking Stockton can be even better with better teammates. Did May already reach his ceiling?
    Other than Bannan, Stockton imo was comfortably the best player to visit the valley. Intelligent runs, looked strong and quick, dangerous with the ball at his feet and he of course scored. I’m fairly confident if we were to sign him he would have a similar impact that Lyle Taylor had for us, think he’s just hit his peak and we could really benefit from him. 

Saying that I also think May is worth the money at 500k, would be an upgrade on Washington 
    Good forwards really are the hardest players to find.  We unearthed a great signing in Lyle Taylor when we got him, particularly on a free.  I didn’t know he was going to turn out to be as good as he was when we got him, obviously it ended badly.  

May’s a great example of how overinflated the market is.  First real big season of goals at this level and bang, reportedly £500k fee.  We definitely need another one and I still think we need better than both Stockley and Aneke.  Where and who that is based on our budget, I have no idea 
  • Still cannot believe Alfie May played for VCD and Erith & Belvedere and we didn't pick him up. Bad scouting . He looked impressive as did Cole Stockton. If we are going to get promoted we need either one or both. We need depth. 

Ajose never had a run in the team and was treated badly albeit had attitude. 
  • Difference between Ajose and May is that May will run through walls for the cause, Ajose seemed to just mill about until a chance came.  

As for Stockton, he’s decent but quite similar to Stockley, he would improve the squad of course but I think we need something different.  

Personally I’d be well happy if we went in for May.  McKirdy probably more likely though and I’d be just as pleased as he can play multiple positions.  
  • Still cannot believe Alfie May played for VCD and Erith & Belvedere and we didn't pick him up. Bad scouting . He looked impressive as did Cole Stockton. If we are going to get promoted we need either one or both. We need depth. 

May is 29 and has only ever had 1 good season in league football. 

He spent 4 years at Doncaster and scored 10 goals in 92 league games. If he'd been here he'd have been hounded out long before now.
    Very true and hard to counter.  But as mentioned above the loveable rogue Lyle Taylor never peaked till his late 20s, Yann also.  Some players realise their potential late on, May could be one of them, the handful of times I saw him last season he was very good in a side not as strong as we’ll be this season. 

He spent 4 years at Doncaster and scored 10 goals in 92 league games. If he'd been here he'd have been hounded out long before now.
    Very true and hard to counter.  But as mentioned above the loveable rogue Lyle Taylor never peaked till his late 20s, Yann also.  Some players realise their potential late on, May could be one of them, the handful of times I saw him last season he was very good in a side not as strong as we’ll be this season. 
    I think that’s the issue really, he could be one of them but there is just as much chance he is another Ajose. An expensive gamble with no re-sale value if you get it wrong.
  • edited July 2022
    It's a gamble that clubs/managers have to weigh up. Someone like (just for example) Washington will "only" score somewhere around 10-12 goals a season but he's been fairly consistent about that. Or you take a chance on someone like a May, Stockton or McKirdy who could have a fluke season or could be late developing, and might end up anywhere between 2 goals and 20+.

It seems like Gallen and Co. feel like they can do better and find that goal scorer but as ever we wait and see. IF there really is a top level striker to be signed I doubt they will come cheap, or easy, so it may be a while yet.

I think that’s the issue really, he could be one of them but there is just as much chance he is another Ajose. An expensive gamble with no re-sale value if you get it wrong.
    Agree probably doesn’t fit the profile for that reason.  
  • Sponsored links:

Ajose never had a run in the team? He appeared in 21 out of 27 games his first season before being sent out on loan. He started 17 of those games. He was rubbish in almost all of them.

• Cheltenham hitting back, not much they can do if a club like us if similar come in for him. He's apparently not in their squad today, not sure why. I’ve been shouting about May for a while, we should be in for him. 
  • I’d prefer us not to be spending 500k on Alfie May based on his stats, because overall they are not great. I’d hope we’re looking at some more consistency and goals over a few seasons. 
  • I’m not convinced by May either, isn’t he more of a poacher? Stockton should be more suited to a lone striker role but I can’t see us having both him and Stockley.

I’m sure we’ll sign a striker, the type we bring in will be interesting.
  • I’d like to see us make a move for
    Max Watters rather than Stockton or May
  • Scoham said:
     Stockton should be more suited to a lone striker role but I can’t see us having both him and Stockley.

Why? He's far more mobile and busy than Stockley 
  • Also all you replica kit johnies can have...

STOCK-LEY-TON

on your brand new tops.
  • Bournesnr said:
    I’d like to see us make a move for
    He much more what we’re looking for. Mobile striker to play alongside Stockley. Only 23 and from London. 
    He’d be a very shrewd striker signing.
  • If you’re going to pick the player off one hot season, then it’s McKirdy, as he’s younger and knows the manager 
  • Sponsored links:

• Rothko said:
    If you’re going to pick the player off one hot season, then it’s McKirdy, as he’s younger and knows the manager 
    In a division lower though
  • When your looking at a striker, especially at league 1 level (ie your not going to get a complete 1) isn't the first question what do you actually want them to do?

Both Hull and Wigan's number 9s weren't their main source of goals.

At the moment Stockley is our only source of goals, yet we don't have a McGeady type winger.  Stockley would have scored a lot of goals in place of Wyke in that Sunderland team.  Stockley would have scored enough in both Hull and Wigan's teams.

If we are going to sign someone like a Wilkes or a Twine or a Jackson that is going to score 15-20 goals from else where Stockley becomes much less of an issue. If you think he is an issue.

If we start the season with Stockley as the "weak link" we will be well set, very well set. 
  • Scoham said:
     Stockton should be more suited to a lone striker role but I can’t see us having both him and Stockley.

Why? He's far more mobile and busy than Stockley 
    So was Washington but he was never a lone striker. Does May play up front on his own for Cheltenham? Is he physical enough to do it while retaining his goal threat? Might be wrong but I thought they played a form of 3-5-2 against us.
  • edited July 2022
    Oh yeah because before Lyle signed for us he was a goal machine? Bar the few years at Wimbledon, his record wasn’t great yet he was great for us and at his peak. May would be similar with better quality around him. 
  • RedRobin said:
    Oh yeah because before Lyle signed for us he was a goal machine? Bar the few years at Wimbledon, his record wasn’t great yet he was great for us and at his peak. May would be similar with better quality around him. 
    And £500k more than Taylor cost.
  • Bournesnr said:
    I’d like to see us make a move for
    Cardiff recalled him from loan after just six months, do you think they would sell him at a price we could afford?
    He would be a very good signing.
  • paulfox said:
    Crying out for a striker that can make something happen by himself in the box. Mendonca  mkll please.
    I thought Yassin was a right back.
  • RedRobin said:
    I did the stats last year for Mendonca, Washington, BWP and Washington l, before we signed them, they were all in the same ball park in goals per game.
  • _MrDick said:
    Stockton was the best striker I saw last year. Wouldn’t be too unhappy to see him as a replacement for Washington. 
    I would like Stockton, he reminds me of Yann.