Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• This will be good for the “where are the goals coming from” mob, 13 last season 👏🏻 
    In L2 to add a cautionary note, though he has had decent seasons in L1 as well.
    Of course, I guess if he had scored 13 in our league last season he’d be championship bound.
    * as a midfielder

got to be careful or the Stockley is naff brigade will be after us!
  • Has he been training with anybody pre-season?
  • wmcf123 said:
    A mate of mind is a big Southend fan where Payne came through, and has followed his career fairly closely since he left them.
    'Good player but teams always find it difficult to slot him in the side, potential to be a bit of a luxury player but use him correctly and he'll do well for you' 
    Poor man’s Oztumer. 

How does one fit him and Fraser into the same team ?
    Easy, put one of them on the subs bench and bring on as one of the five. 
  • Looks good in that video…they always do.
    I was impressed by some quick positive decision making, his speed of reaction and his waspishness.
    He also looks to keep his shots down, unlike Albie.
  • mendonca said:
    Has he been training with anybody pre-season?
    Hadn't he been in Swindon's pre-season? Seem to remember people spotting him in their photos/videos 
  • mendonca said:
    Hadn't he been in Swindon's pre-season? Seem to remember people spotting him in their photos/videos 
    Wasnt that Louis Reed who we were linked with too
  • Have never seen him play but the gaffer obviously knows and likes him
  • mendonca said:
    Probably not. So we won't see him till November/December where he will get injured during the busy Christmas period because we rushed him through and will be out for most of the season until reappearing for the last day of the season in a mid table borefest.

Who said Charlton athletic and this exasperating heat make me grumpy?
  • Sponsored links:

• wmcf123 said:
    A mate of mind is a big Southend fan where Payne came through, and has followed his career fairly closely since he left them.
    'Good player but teams always find it difficult to slot him in the side, potential to be a bit of a luxury player but use him correctly and he'll do well for you' 
    Poor man’s Oztumer. 

Looking at the Swindon formation for a couple of their end of season games, according to the BBC he was on the right of the midfield 3 with Reed in the centre (doing the defensive work) and Jonny on the left. Which explains why they weren't that great defensively I guess!

The equivalent for us would be Payne, Dobson and Fraser

• CafcWest said:
    So many people saying Davison out on loan or let go.  But it seems clear to me that Garner thinks he can improve him and must see something from his loan at Swindon last season.  He is obviously a work in progress and not the first name on the team sheet but really can't see him going anywhere.
    Ok there’s a small outside chance of that being the case…..but I think you’re wrong CW.
    I actually hope I'm wrong @SoundAsa£ as I think he'd benefit from another loan...it's just that Garner worked with him last season that makes me wonder... hope I'm wrong!
  • wmcf123 said:
    Poor man’s Oztumer. 

Looking at the Swindon formation for a couple of their end of season games, according to the BBC he was on the right of the midfield 3 with Reed in the centre (doing the defensive work) and Jonny on the left. Which explains why they weren't that great defensively I guess!

The equivalent for us would be Payne, Dobson and Fraser

Their No9 was useful apparently...😉
  • edited July 2022
    After Saturday, I'd really like a LB to be the next signing.

Neither Sessegnon nor Clayden to me are the answer, especially if playing behind a right footer like Kirk who cuts inside.

Ben Purrington has moved on and overall had a decent time with cafc with highs and some lows; steady Eddie.

The incoming LB needs to be an upgrade on BP.
    We need a natural Left footer who can also use his right foot at least to pass if not to shoot.
    He needs to have pace and the ability to overlap and cross the ball from an advanced position. These are basic requirements of an LB* in the modern game if you are a pro active attack minded team. Why are we having the same conversations now that we did 12 months ago ?

It's so patently clear to me, killer and surely others that to have two players playing on the left who's main trick is to cut in on their right foot won't work too often unless the other teams defence are thick and don't  have analysis. 

That why CBT is so important as he can play on either flank and can go inside or outside. 

* One of the great attacking full backs when fit at Cafc over the last 10 years Rhoys Wiggins, was told to hold his position unless we were already well ahead by big Bob Peeters!
  • So, if Garner is correct and he would like 2 or 3 more before the window closes and hopefully before the season starts and we, if Payne comes are probably going to sell JFC (and I think Davison as well), is there anybody who genuinely thinks our squad is strong enough to be challenging for Top 6?

I don't think Garner is saying 2 or 3 more on the basis we are going to sign 7.... we are going to sign 2 or 3 more and lose 2.....

I want to be positive.   The sun is shining, the new season is upon us, but we are SO undercooked and lack squad depth it's worrying.
  • Should be entering his prime, scores goals from midfield, very agile. Williams said last season Payne really should be playing above League Two level. Scored goals for a Bradford side who got relegated from League One before. In a better team you would hope he would score goals from midfield for us too.
  • Stewart said:
    What a day to have a fitness test. 
    Will be in the gym with the AC on.  
  • Is this our 3rd signing from last season's Swindon side?
  • Sponsored links:

• Stewart said:
    What a day to have a fitness test. 
    Will be in the gym with the AC on.  
    TS has banned the use of AC he is skint this month.
  • Good that Richard Cawley is back in the know and Sage wins the messenger award so the likes won't be stripped from him.

The great unknown is how players dovetail but at least it seems we have another Payne in the window so now on to the LB issue B)
  • Good that Richard Cawley is back in the know and Sage wins the messenger award so the likes won't be stripped from him.

The great unknown is how players dovetail but at least it seems we have another Payne in the window so now on to the LB issue B)
    I don't think we will sign a left back.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Good that Richard Cawley is back in the know and Sage wins the messenger award so the likes won't be stripped from him.

Why not?, we don’t have a left footed left back.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Good that Richard Cawley is back in the know and Sage wins the messenger award so the likes won't be stripped from him.

I think we will but it’ll be a loan.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

I think we will but it’ll be a loan.
    2 left backs on loan, would be unique.

I think we need one but don't think we will get one.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

I’m thinking that way more now, a striker and/or winger seems more likely given the options we currently have.

I thought SS was meant to be two footed, I don’t think we’ve seen enough of him in preseason to show he can’t be effective on the left.

It also seems the club have faith in Clayden, I don’t think we should write him off. It’s a gamble but a second choice LB doesn’t have to be a top L1 player for us to do well.
  • Croydon said:
    Is this our 3rd signing from last season's Swindon side?
    Yes mate, Wollacot and Egbo being the two others.