Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Leuth said:
    Two forwards, for me. That's all. The rest is amply covered - both Clare and Egbo can probably play on the left in an emergency, not to mention Clayden
    Not for me. We don't have a single left footed defender. That includes CB, LB and LWB.
  • edited July 2022
    Two replies about CBT, agree he’s not a striker but Parker wasn’t either I don’t believe, he was used as a pest for defenders chasing down lost causes.  We’re likely to sign a forward when Davison goes anyway. 
    CBT is a million times a better striker than Davison is or Parker was IMO. So I think as you say he could do a job. 
  • Forward who can do a job wide and left back, that’s it for me, the rest is a bonus.
    But for what?   If you think genuinely that a forward can play wide and just a left back is going to get us where?   Promoted?   Or comfortably mid table?

I am GENUINELY asking as right now, Washington, our hardest working forward has gone and Burstow our most promising young forward has gone and replaced by Davison - who wasn't good enough for us last year and Leaburn who was significantly behind Burstow last year.

I think this side doesn't end up anywhere near the bottom 3 like the side that started last year but in the same way I think this side doesn't end up anywhere near the top 2 either.

This side, is a more solid mid table side than last year's.

In my opinion.   Not enough goals.   Not enough clean sheets, too many square pegs in round holes at right back and left back.  Not sure the goalkeeper or centre halves are quite up to playing the football Garner wants.

More positive than a year ago, but even @golfaddick probably is too!
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Two replies about CBT, agree he’s not a striker but Parker wasn’t either I don’t believe, he was used as a pest for defenders chasing down lost causes.  We’re likely to sign a forward when Davison goes anyway. 
    CBT is a million times a better striker than Davison is or Parker was IMO. So I think as you say he could do a job. 
    CBT is a good forward but not a particularly good striker. He's got pace and tricks to spare but don't see him as a huge goal threat directly 
  • supaclive said:
    Forward who can do a job wide and left back, that’s it for me, the rest is a bonus.
    But for what?   If you think genuinely that a forward can play wide and just a left back is going to get us where?   Promoted?   Or comfortably mid table?

I am GENUINELY asking as right now, Washington, our hardest working forward has gone and Burstow our most promising young forward has gone and replaced by Davison - who wasn't good enough for us last year and Leaburn who was significantly behind Burstow last year.

I think this side doesn't end up anywhere near the bottom 3 like the side that started last year but in the same way I think this side doesn't end up anywhere near the top 2 either.

In my opinion.   Not enough goals.   Not enough clean sheets, too many square pegs in round holes at right back and left back.  Not sure the goalkeeper or centre halves are quite up to playing the football Garner wants.

Well the left back to play left back as we haven’t got a natural one, and the forward/winger to be able to play in a two or wide of a three, surely you’re not saying there’s no such thing as a forward who can play wide??

I think the squad is coming along very nicely, the two signings I said I want to see I’ve no idea how good they’ll be but hopefully very!  I’m not going to predict where we’ll come because it’s just too hard to call.  Why do I need too?  We’ll get an indication of that in the first month or two, at this point we’re all in need of some faith because what choice do we have, we can’t control what goes on all we can do is debate it in here.  Appreciate you’re glass half empty and that’s fine, but you and I are none the wiser!
  • Sponsored links:

• Forward who can do a job wide and left back, that’s it for me, the rest is a bonus.
    Sounds expensive if he has the ability to play up top and out wide and the tackling ability to play left back
  • supaclive said:
    Forward who can do a job wide and left back, that’s it for me, the rest is a bonus.

Well the left back to play left back as we haven’t got a natural one, and the forward/winger to be able to play in a two or wide of a three, surely you’re not saying there’s no such thing as a forward who can play wide??

I think the squad is coming along very nicely, the two signings I said I want to see I’ve no idea how good they’ll be but hopefully very!  I’m not going to predict where we’ll come because it’s just too hard to call.  Why do I need too?  We’ll get an indication of that in the first month or two, at this point we’re all in need of some faith because what choice do we have, we can’t control what goes on all we can do is debate it in here.  Appreciate you’re glass half empty and that’s fine, but you and I are none the wiser!
    Not glass half empty, just I think that as a whole Charlton should be aspiring to be getting out of this bloody division not getting rid of loads of players and replacing them with freebies.   We beat Derby to his signature - a big club, who are severely restricted by the Football League in what they can and can't do.

Swindon wanted to keep him.   That's right.  Swindon of Dvision 2, who lost in the play offs and who got relegated from League 1 the season before.

I don't aspire to bottom half of League 1 football and Charlton shouldn't either.   I'm not sure we have any choice, but I'm just preparing myself for a less difficult, but still difficult season - that way I won't bleat on for fcuking ever this year when things turn out how I thought they might.

I WANT to be proven wrong.   I can't see the side that does that for me.

• thenewbie said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    CBT is a good forward but not a particularly good striker. He's got pace and tricks to spare but don't see him as a huge goal threat directly 
    We haven’t seen him as a striker really.  His pace will petrify defences.  He COULD be devastating if he could learn the role of a striker. Him playing on the shoulder of some of the l1 cloggers would be ridiculous 

• Doubt anything in it, but Egbo tweeted this earlier today…

• sammy391 said:

Doubt anything in it, but Egbo tweeted this earlier today…

For context, Harry Mckirdy has been begging Jack Payne all summer to sign a new Swindon contract 
  • J BLOCK said:
    Another very good addition. This is a rebuild and needs time, I doubt we’ll get promoted next season but we’ve signed good talent on contracts for 3 years +, the foundations are there. 
    agreed, feels that way. My only issue is that it’s probably what we should have done last summer. Sandgaard will only cut the budget IMO 
  • I thought JFC was the pick of the midfield from what I saw on Charlton Tv on Saturday. Nothing spectacular but linked the play better than the others. Not arguing that we need the creativity that hopefully Payne will provide nor that we have too many in that position now but would be disappointed if he’s the one to go. 
    As others have said think we need at least another full back and a striker. Whilst I’ve been impressed with Leaburn, I was also initially impressed with Barstow but it’s difficult to maintain that form at that age. 
  • I thought JFC was the pick of the midfield from what I saw on Charlton Tv on Saturday. Nothing spectacular but linked the play better than the others. Not arguing that we need the creativity that hopefully Payne will provide nor that we have too many in that position now but would be disappointed if he’s the one to go. 
    As others have said think we need at least another full back and a striker. Whilst I’ve been impressed with Leaburn, I was also initially impressed with Barstow but it’s difficult to maintain that form at that age. 

I felt the complete opposite towards JFC vs Sutton.
    looked like he was trying to everything and be every type of player , not really anything concrete.

didn’t show he was a few steps up above Sutton which was a worry (then again, did many of ours)  but you’d imagine he’d have been easily noticeable in the middle which he wasn’t.

hoping Leaburn can use this summer as his step up, ala Joe Gomez under bob peeters/Lookman under Riga & Robinson! 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2022
    Davison gone
  • Got to be at least one new striker being bought in then. I can see the idea that Payne is supposed to be on that dividing line between midfielder and outright forward (like a better version of Elliott Lee) but we now have exactly two senior strikers and one is Aneke.
  • edited July 2022
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:

Not glass half empty, just I think that as a whole Charlton should be aspiring to be getting out of this bloody division not getting rid of loads of players and replacing them with freebies.   We beat Derby to his signature - a big club, who are severely restricted by the Football League in what they can and can't do.

Swindon wanted to keep him.   That's right.  Swindon of Dvision 2, who lost in the play offs and who got relegated from League 1 the season before.

I don't aspire to bottom half of League 1 football and Charlton shouldn't either.   I'm not sure we have any choice, but I'm just preparing myself for a less difficult, but still difficult season - that way I won't bleat on for fcuking ever this year when things turn out how I thought they might.

I WANT to be proven wrong.   I can't see the side that does that for me.

What difference does it make if they were freebies or not?  So if the signings we had all had a year left and we paid a fee you’d be happy?  Pogba went for free, the price is irrelevant loads of good players are out of contract.

Swindon wanted him of course they did, in the same way we wanted to keep Aribo, but they went to clubs with bigger ambitions, I don’t see how that draws you to a negative conclusion.  
  • Davisgone!

Not good enough for 3rd / joint second choice forward for us im afraid. Good luck to him though. 
  • Good move all round I think, he’s never looked up to it for us but I’m sure he’ll do a good job at Wimbledon. 

I could see him being a decent league 1 player in a few years time. Unfortunately for him and us league 2 is his current level.
  • Striker in in the next day or two? 👀
  • Thanks Jj ! Any chance you can sign a few more of your old team ?