Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Though I do like the look of that diamond
  • CAFCsayer said:
    Though I do like the look of that diamond
    If we went for it I’d see Fraser on the left and Payne at the tip.
  • Like this signing if it happens. Now we have two midfielders in Fraser and Payne who can chip in and score which we didn’t have with Albie/Gilbey.   Neither Fraser or Payne are known for their defense so we probably see McGrandles starting at times against the better squads in the league since he is more combative. I hope we don’t move JFC because he would be good cover for Dobson if he were to be injured.  I know jfc probably has more market interest than Gilbey/Albie but selling him would put a lot of pressure on Dobson.  Now we need a goal scoring wide forward (prem loan or Mckirdy?) as much as I would like to upgrade on Innis as starting cb or Clayden/Davison as reserves, my guess is that this less of a priority and may not happen
    Why would JFC have more interest than Gilbey? 
  • Who needs strikers when you have goal scoring midfielders. Peps got it wrong again. Fancy buying a player over 6ft. Plank.

😀
    The same Pep who just won a Premier League title playing without strikers?

True but lost a champion League semi final as Real Madrid put on young fast forwards who could attack down the middle and Pep had no Strikers. Hence why he wanted Kane and now has gone for the boy wonder Erwin Haaland. 
  • Two replies about CBT, agree he’s not a striker but Parker wasn’t either I don’t believe, he was used as a pest for defenders chasing down lost causes.  We’re likely to sign a forward when Davison goes anyway. 
  • Redhenry said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    If JFC does go I wonder if it will be reuniting with Robinson at Oxford. 
    Jacko, the obvious connection
    You think JFC would leave us for League 2?
  • Redhenry said:
    Like this signing if it happens. Now we have two midfielders in Fraser and Payne who can chip in and score which we didn’t have with Albie/Gilbey.   Neither Fraser or Payne are known for their defense so we probably see McGrandles starting at times against the better squads in the league since he is more combative. I hope we don’t move JFC because he would be good cover for Dobson if he were to be injured.  I know jfc probably has more market interest than Gilbey/Albie but selling him would put a lot of pressure on Dobson.  Now we need a goal scoring wide forward (prem loan or Mckirdy?) as much as I would like to upgrade on Innis as starting cb or Clayden/Davison as reserves, my guess is that this less of a priority and may not happen
    Just my opinion but I think he is generally viewed as a better more versatile midfielder.  Gilbeys struggles last couple of years might dampen interest a little bit
  • Who needs strikers when you have goal scoring midfielders. Peps got it wrong again. Fancy buying a player over 6ft. Plank.

😀
    Fuck me but he does have De Bruyne, Sterling, Foden, Gundogan, Silva, Jesus, Mahrez and Grealish to name but a few in attack.

Charlton have nobody approaching that level in League One equivalent.   We have something approaching that level of talent from League 2 equivalent.... not yet proven they can do it in League One... or even get a League 2 side promoted....

I'm excited by this signing, but let's compare apples with apples - we are a MID TABLE League 1 side.... Man City, well.... aren't !

• Redhenry said:
    Like this signing if it happens. Now we have two midfielders in Fraser and Payne who can chip in and score which we didn’t have with Albie/Gilbey.   Neither Fraser or Payne are known for their defense so we probably see McGrandles starting at times against the better squads in the league since he is more combative. I hope we don’t move JFC because he would be good cover for Dobson if he were to be injured.  I know jfc probably has more market interest than Gilbey/Albie but selling him would put a lot of pressure on Dobson.  Now we need a goal scoring wide forward (prem loan or Mckirdy?) as much as I would like to upgrade on Innis as starting cb or Clayden/Davison as reserves, my guess is that this less of a priority and may not happen
    Just my opinion but I think he is generally viewed as a better more versatile midfielder.  Gilbeys struggles last couple of years might dampen interest a little bit
    Doubt it, two ACL's in quick succession
  • I think we need:

LCB
    LB
    Winger 
    Striker

2 loans & 2 perms would be nice. Offload JFC & Davison 
    This. Except I'd much prefer Gilbey to go over JFC. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I think we need:

LCB
    LB
    Winger 
    Striker

If only because JFC can play left back if needed 
  • I think we need:

LCB
    LB
    Winger 
    Striker

No, because Gilbey is pretty shite. JFC is a far superior footballer. 

• ozaddick said:
    Sounds like the next Bromley addicks meet could be a bit tasty! 
    Not really..all he has to do is tell me in front of others or alone why he called me a troll over something I was right about and why attaching it to that comment was trolling.

I never said it would be the next meeting as I can't always go. Depends when it is. Imagine if I had called him a troll over this if it was his post. 
    Asking him directly seems the best way rather than a row on here.  

Back to the rumours. 
    You really need to learn to read. Henry called Ronnie a troll, not you. 
  • I think we need:

LCB
    LB
    Winger 
    Striker

No, because Gilbey is pretty shite. JFC is a far superior footballer. 
    Err, both reasons maybe?
  • 50 lols and a few comments saying what a great post and it was deleted before I saw it 😂😬
  • Two weeks ago TS said no signings likely in the next two weeks but that he expected the market to pick up as we got close to the start of the season.

And so it came to pass.

TS also five perm and 3 or 4 loans.

Garner said this morning 2 or 3 more.

We have five perms and 1 loan done.

So 2 or 3 loans still to come?

Things change as options come up, other deals fall through, injuries happen and players are moved on.
    I imagine a lot depends on who/how many moves out now. JFC and Davison both strongly linked with exits and I'd hope permanent replacements for both (unless we assume Payne IS the JFC replacement) and maybe a few others on loan.
  • supaclive said:
    Who needs strikers when you have goal scoring midfielders. Peps got it wrong again. Fancy buying a player over 6ft. Plank.

😀
    Fuck me but he does have De Bruyne, Sterling, Foden, Gundogan, Silva, Jesus, Mahrez and Grealish to name but a few in attack.

Charlton have nobody approaching that level in League One equivalent.   We have something approaching that level of talent from League 2 equivalent.... not yet proven they can do it in League One... or even get a League 2 side promoted....

I'm excited by this signing, but let's compare apples with apples - we are a MID TABLE League 1 side.... Man City, well.... aren't !

Eh? I've not compared us to Man City, I'm just pointing out to Golfie that using Pep as an example of a team who need strikers isn't quite the right one considering he just won a league without them. I suspect we probably will line up with strikers..
  • edited July 2022
    think we know how that TS Garner interview really went: high press blah blah.. I can get you a new team for free.. you're hired!
  • Sponsored links:

• razil said:
    think we know how that interview really went: high press blah blah.. I can get you a new team for free.. you're hired!
    maybe run a poll on it 
  • matt88 said:
    50 lols and a few comments saying what a great post and it was deleted before I saw it 😂😬

Great bit of content but presuming our marketing budget doesn't include usage rights for BBC owned content! Great bit of imagination though - love it!
  • The midfield is certainly about as good as you can hope for in this league. A left back, centre half and striker away for me. 
  • edited July 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Good that Richard Cawley is back in the know and Sage wins the messenger award so the likes won't be stripped from him.

The great unknown is how players dovetail but at least it seems we have another Payne in the window so now on to the LB issue B)
    I don't think we will sign a left back.
    I’m thinking that way more now, a striker and/or winger seems more likely given the options we currently have.

I thought SS was meant to be two footed, I don’t think we’ve seen enough of him in preseason to show he can’t be effective on the left.

It also seems the club have faith in Clayden, I don’t think we should write him off. It’s a gamble but a second choice LB doesn’t have to be a top L1 player for us to do well.
    I wasn't impressed with SS on Saturday as a left back, and interesting that he was substituted at HT rather than at 75 minutes, our only change at HT. 
    He is behind on "minutes" isn't he?
    He is, and I thought he looked good. I like a full back who doesn’t just back off, he actually likes to get his foot in. With more minutes I think he’ll prove to be a good signing. Fingers crossed. 
    This summer transfer window seems to be more about marginal gains so far, rather than any wow factor signings. Perhaps that’ll turn out to be a good thing. 
  • Two forwards, for me. That's all. The rest is amply covered - both Clare and Egbo can probably play on the left in an emergency, not to mention Clayden
  • CAFCsayer said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Good that Richard Cawley is back in the know and Sage wins the messenger award so the likes won't be stripped from him.

The great unknown is how players dovetail but at least it seems we have another Payne in the window so now on to the LB issue B)
    I don't think we will sign a left back.

Guess what, I'm not convinced either as SS is going to play LB.  Is there some chubby but skilful 18 year old attacking LB who can attack like Luke Shaw but has gone under the radar?
    Grant Basey forging a birth certificate?

Jacob Roddy
    I’ve heard Cory Gibbs has finally got fit & ready to go 😎
  • razil said:
    think we know how that TS Garner interview really went: high press blah blah.. I can get you a new team for free.. you're hired!
    To be fair the majority of clubs in the league haven’t paid a fee or if they have it was minimal (Famewo going for £50k).
  • Forward who can do a job wide and left back, that’s it for me, the rest is a bonus.