Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• supaclive said:
    Nabby Sarr is NOT the answer.    Cult hero, but don't ever go back.
    I would normally adopt that mantra but Mortimer and whyte came back. Then I suppose so did Lee cook!
  • Think Kanu might well get an opportunity early on this season and by the looks of him I reckon he'll grab it with both hands.

Our problem might be keeping hold of him after Christmas!
  • supaclive said:
    Ahh but he is... Especially if the question is: "Which player went on loan to Red Star FC?" ;)
  • Think Kanu might well get an opportunity early on this season and by the looks of him I reckon he'll grab it with both hands.

Our problem might be keeping hold of him after Christmas!
    His complete absence from the 1st team in pre-season suggests that is unlikely
    Just keeping him hidden until the transfer window slams shut.
  • supaclive said:
    paulfox said:
    supaclive said:
    paulfox said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    Forward who can do a job wide and left back, that’s it for me, the rest is a bonus.
    But for what?   If you think genuinely that a forward can play wide and just a left back is going to get us where?   Promoted?   Or comfortably mid table?

I am GENUINELY asking as right now, Washington, our hardest working forward has gone and Burstow our most promising young forward has gone and replaced by Davison - who wasn't good enough for us last year and Leaburn who was significantly behind Burstow last year.

I think this side doesn't end up anywhere near the bottom 3 like the side that started last year but in the same way I think this side doesn't end up anywhere near the top 2 either.

This side, is a more solid mid table side than last year's.

In my opinion.   Not enough goals.   Not enough clean sheets, too many square pegs in round holes at right back and left back.  Not sure the goalkeeper or centre halves are quite up to playing the football Garner wants.

More positive than a year ago, but even @golfaddick probably is too!
    Well the left back to play left back as we haven’t got a natural one, and the forward/winger to be able to play in a two or wide of a three, surely you’re not saying there’s no such thing as a forward who can play wide??

I think the squad is coming along very nicely, the two signings I said I want to see I’ve no idea how good they’ll be but hopefully very!  I’m not going to predict where we’ll come because it’s just too hard to call.  Why do I need too?  We’ll get an indication of that in the first month or two, at this point we’re all in need of some faith because what choice do we have, we can’t control what goes on all we can do is debate it in here.  Appreciate you’re glass half empty and that’s fine, but you and I are none the wiser!
    Not glass half empty, just I think that as a whole Charlton should be aspiring to be getting out of this bloody division not getting rid of loads of players and replacing them with freebies.   We beat Derby to his signature - a big club, who are severely restricted by the Football League in what they can and can't do.

Swindon wanted to keep him.   That's right.  Swindon of Dvision 2, who lost in the play offs and who got relegated from League 1 the season before.

I don't aspire to bottom half of League 1 football and Charlton shouldn't either.   I'm not sure we have any choice, but I'm just preparing myself for a less difficult, but still difficult season - that way I won't bleat on for fcuking ever this year when things turn out how I thought they might.

I WANT to be proven wrong.   I can't see the side that does that for me.

What difference does it make if they were freebies or not?  So if the signings we had all had a year left and we paid a fee you’d be happy?  Pogba went for free, the price is irrelevant loads of good players are out of contract.

Swindon wanted him of course they did, in the same way we wanted to keep Aribo, but they went to clubs with bigger ambitions, I don’t see how that draws you to a negative conclusion.  
    We have signed players who played for a side who got relegated from League 1 two seasons ago and didn't get promoted last year.

I don't think they are going to get us promoted this year.   We are more solid, but more solid mid table, is still mid table.

I don't think 30 months into TS' reign (at the end of this season) that we should be aspiring to a solid mid table finish!

And I'm allowed that opinion.

If you are happy with mid table.   Be happy with it.  I'm not.
    Well now you’re being silly because you know I’m not happy with mid table.  And no one’s said you’re not allowed that opinion, you’re just being challenged, that’s one of the fundamentals of a forum.  

I don’t think we’ll finish mid table, I don’t understand what you mean when you say we’re more solid than last season but will finish mid table like last season.  Either we’ve improved or we haven’t, I think it’s flaming obvious we have.  But that’s where disagree, and on that note enjoy your evening.  
    People are not keen on being challenged on here!!😂😬
    Challenge away.   I do like a good debate.   We'll know soon.   I just think what we have brought in should mean we don't start SHITE, but I don't think it gets us anywhere near top 6, let alone top 2.

So, I find from 7th downwards a failure for a club of our size and stature.   I am glad we're not owned by the last lot and TS has done a lot of good, but 30 months on (when the season ends I repeat), if we are not challenging, ney, getting promoted, I am sure TS will see it as a failure, as will I.

Sorry about that.   I grew up with us being shit in Division 2 and then the Premier League days.  I know how far the fans fought to save our club.   I'm proud to be a Charlton fan, especially as a lot of my mates are Palace wankers, but I aspire in my day to be better than mediocre and would like Charlton, its players, its owners and its fans to aspire to greater things too.

RED ARMY!
    Oi, don’t have a pop at me pal, I actually agree with a large chunk of this post from you, a lot of you’re other posts have been a bit bolloxy I’ll admit😜 but anyway,, last season was a complete failure, but as it stands none of us really know what is going to happen, there is no reason to suggest this bunch of players( not complete by the way) aren’t going to have a good season. They may not but we have to wait and see. If they fail again then TS and the club deserve some stick. I’ve been going since the seventies so seen the best, possibly the worst times, not as many as some on here, but enough to know sometimes when the bar isn’t very high it gets well and truly jumped over. It’s the hope that gets us, don’t see the point if we don’t keep hoping.
    Nobody knows - correct.   I am praying, trust me.

Garner - no promotions on his CV.   Wants us to play a game WAY away from what Charlton fans watched a core of the side be able to do last year.

New keeper.   Not sure he's great with his feet and that brings into question Garnerball.

New right back.   Injured.   Has the attributes to be good.   Not proven.

New left back.   Is not left footed.   Is a square peg in a round hole (see Kirk below)

New centre half.   Looks to be accomplished, if not a little slow.

New midfielders.    One coming back from injury but appears to be a good box to box player.   Another from Swindon last year was a decent player, but didn't get them promoted and we beat Derby to his signature (no other clubs mentioned by name, but Plymouth rumoured etc)

Charlie Kirk - right footed left winger, who needs a left footed player outside him.   Concerned that our U23 left back is not as good or experienced as Purrington was and if SS plays with him, we have literally NO width on the left if these two form a partnership.   Wasn't good enough/didn't settle for us last year when we were TRULY shit.

Bairstow gone.   Davison gone.  Washington gone.

Chuks and Jayden left up front.

I WANT to be optimistic, but realism kicks in.
    See you really spoiled it now, that’s a right chip pisser that!!, I’ll hold onto the positives until the season starts.👍
  • RC_CAFC said:
    supaclive said:
    paulfox said:
    supaclive said:
    paulfox said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    Forward who can do a job wide and left back, that’s it for me, the rest is a bonus.
    But for what?   If you think genuinely that a forward can play wide and just a left back is going to get us where?   Promoted?   Or comfortably mid table?

I am GENUINELY asking as right now, Washington, our hardest working forward has gone and Burstow our most promising young forward has gone and replaced by Davison - who wasn't good enough for us last year and Leaburn who was significantly behind Burstow last year.

I think this side doesn't end up anywhere near the bottom 3 like the side that started last year but in the same way I think this side doesn't end up anywhere near the top 2 either.

In my opinion.   Not enough goals.   Not enough clean sheets, too many square pegs in round holes at right back and left back.  Not sure the goalkeeper or centre halves are quite up to playing the football Garner wants.

Well the left back to play left back as we haven’t got a natural one, and the forward/winger to be able to play in a two or wide of a three, surely you’re not saying there’s no such thing as a forward who can play wide??

I think the squad is coming along very nicely, the two signings I said I want to see I’ve no idea how good they’ll be but hopefully very!  I’m not going to predict where we’ll come because it’s just too hard to call.  Why do I need too?  We’ll get an indication of that in the first month or two, at this point we’re all in need of some faith because what choice do we have, we can’t control what goes on all we can do is debate it in here.  Appreciate you’re glass half empty and that’s fine, but you and I are none the wiser!
    Not glass half empty, just I think that as a whole Charlton should be aspiring to be getting out of this bloody division not getting rid of loads of players and replacing them with freebies.   We beat Derby to his signature - a big club, who are severely restricted by the Football League in what they can and can't do.

Swindon wanted to keep him.   That's right.  Swindon of Dvision 2, who lost in the play offs and who got relegated from League 1 the season before.

I don't aspire to bottom half of League 1 football and Charlton shouldn't either.   I'm not sure we have any choice, but I'm just preparing myself for a less difficult, but still difficult season - that way I won't bleat on for fcuking ever this year when things turn out how I thought they might.

What difference does it make if they were freebies or not?  So if the signings we had all had a year left and we paid a fee you’d be happy?  Pogba went for free, the price is irrelevant loads of good players are out of contract.

Swindon wanted him of course they did, in the same way we wanted to keep Aribo, but they went to clubs with bigger ambitions, I don’t see how that draws you to a negative conclusion.  
    We have signed players who played for a side who got relegated from League 1 two seasons ago and didn't get promoted last year.

I don't think they are going to get us promoted this year.   We are more solid, but more solid mid table, is still mid table.

I don't think 30 months into TS' reign (at the end of this season) that we should be aspiring to a solid mid table finish!

Well now you’re being silly because you know I’m not happy with mid table.  And no one’s said you’re not allowed that opinion, you’re just being challenged, that’s one of the fundamentals of a forum.  

I don’t think we’ll finish mid table, I don’t understand what you mean when you say we’re more solid than last season but will finish mid table like last season.  Either we’ve improved or we haven’t, I think it’s flaming obvious we have.  But that’s where disagree, and on that note enjoy your evening.  
    Challenge away.   I do like a good debate.   We'll know soon.   I just think what we have brought in should mean we don't start SHITE, but I don't think it gets us anywhere near top 6, let alone top 2.

So, I find from 7th downwards a failure for a club of our size and stature.   I am glad we're not owned by the last lot and TS has done a lot of good, but 30 months on (when the season ends I repeat), if we are not challenging, ney, getting promoted, I am sure TS will see it as a failure, as will I.

Sorry about that.   I grew up with us being shit in Division 2 and then the Premier League days.  I know how far the fans fought to save our club.   I'm proud to be a Charlton fan, especially as a lot of my mates are Palace wankers, but I aspire in my day to be better than mediocre and would like Charlton, its players, its owners and its fans to aspire to greater things too.

RED ARMY!
    Oi, don’t have a pop at me pal, I actually agree with a large chunk of this post from you, a lot of you’re other posts have been a bit bolloxy I’ll admit😜 but anyway,, last season was a complete failure, but as it stands none of us really know what is going to happen, there is no reason to suggest this bunch of players( not complete by the way) aren’t going to have a good season. They may not but we have to wait and see. If they fail again then TS and the club deserve some stick. I’ve been going since the seventies so seen the best, possibly the worst times, not as many as some on here, but enough to know sometimes when the bar isn’t very high it gets well and truly jumped over. It’s the hope that gets us, don’t see the point if we don’t keep hoping.

Garner - no promotions on his CV.   Wants us to play a game WAY away from what Charlton fans watched a core of the side be able to do last year.

New keeper.   Not sure he's great with his feet and that brings into question Garnerball.

New left back.   Is not left footed.   Is a square peg in a round hole (see Kirk below)

New midfielders.    One coming back from injury but appears to be a good box to box player.   Another from Swindon last year was a decent player, but didn't get them promoted and we beat Derby to his signature (no other clubs mentioned by name, but Plymouth rumoured etc)

Charlie Kirk - right footed left winger, who needs a left footed player outside him.   Concerned that our U23 left back is not as good or experienced as Purrington was and if SS plays with him, we have literally NO width on the left if these two form a partnership.   Wasn't good enough/didn't settle for us last year when we were TRULY shit.

Think that may be called pessimism, not realism. An incredibly downbeat way of looking at what seemingly looks like excellent business so far this summer.
    Excellent?   Really?   No.   Promising.  Not excellent.   This is where we definitely will disagree.    Better than last year.   But could it really have been much worse?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2022
    supaclive said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    supaclive said:
    paulfox said:
    supaclive said:
    paulfox said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:

RED ARMY!

Think that may be called pessimism, not realism. An incredibly downbeat way of looking at what seemingly looks like excellent business so far this summer.
    Excellent?   Really?   No.   Promising.  Not excellent.   This is where we definitely will disagree.    Better than last year.   But could it really have been much worse?
    You don't sound like you think it's promising!
  • Chunes said:
    supaclive said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    supaclive said:
    paulfox said:
    supaclive said:
    paulfox said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:

RED ARMY!

Promising - compared to last year!   But we are woefully light up front and we still don't have a left back with a left foot!
  • supaclive said:
    I would normally adopt that mantra but Mortimer and whyte came back. Then I suppose so did Lee cook!
    I despised - despised - Lee Cook in his first spell with us, but I'm willing to admit he wasn't completely terrible when he came back in 11/12
  • supaclive said:
    Chunes said:
    supaclive said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    supaclive said:
    paulfox said:
    supaclive said:
    paulfox said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:

RED ARMY!

Promising - compared to last year!   But we are woefully light up front and we still don't have a left back with a left foot!
    We’ve probably had left backs with two right feet in the past!!🤣
  • Chunes said:
    supaclive said:
    Chunes said:
    supaclive said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    supaclive said:
    paulfox said:
    supaclive said:
    paulfox said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:

RED ARMY!

Oh well. They seem like very solvable problems with the time we have left? Could be a lot worse. Plus if it wasn't some bizarre legal error, this transfer window would have been presided over by Chris Farnell and Dave Jones.
    Very true mate very true. When u look at our recent past and think that could be our future we should all count ourselves lucky 
  • Sponsored links:

• paulfox said:
    supaclive said:
    Chunes said:
    supaclive said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    supaclive said:
    paulfox said:
    supaclive said:
    paulfox said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:

RED ARMY!

We’ve probably had left backs with two right feet in the past!!🤣
    He went to the SPL
  • Swear he was on stupid wages too with us and Huddersfield 
    He had agreed a massive cut in wages to stay with us last time but we couldn't do it because of the embargo.

Not saying it is happening but it's certainly possible.
  • Would have loved Colby Bishop from Accy to solve our striker issues but appears he's off to Blackpool. Wonder if it's going to be a loanee instead as I'm struggling for names off the top of my head beyond Alfie May, Cole Stockton and Matty Stevens (FGR striker , is injured anyway) 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Would have loved Colby Bishop from Accy to solve our striker issues but appears he's off to Blackpool. Wonder if it's going to be a loanee instead as I'm struggling for names off the top of my head beyond Alfie May, Cole Stockton and Matty Stevens (FGR striker , is injured anyway) 

Think it's gonna be a loaner tbh. Watters would be good or just some kid from the premier League we've never heard of but turns out to be way too good for league 1.

Stockton has disaster written all over it for me. Only 1 decent season and very much one of those northern players that I can see not settling down here.
  • supaclive said:

Sorry to make light of your concerns, which I share for our lack of forward options, but don't you mean Burstow? Bairstow usually holes out in the deep after making a quick ton! Breaking my own rule here and posting after having had a couple, just to calm the nerves mind, and not spirits. I've cut back on those, on a weekday. 
  • swordfish said:
    supaclive said:

Sorry to make light of your concerns, which I share for our lack of forward options, but don't you mean Burstow? Bairstow usually holes out in the deep after making a quick ton! Breaking my own rule here and posting after having had a couple, just to calm the nerves mind, and not spirits. I've cut back on those, on a weekday. 
    Bastard! 🤣🤣
  • edited July 2022

Keke Simmonds anyone.............

• Cafc43v3r said:

Keke Simmonds anyone.............

To random to be on your wishlist, must mean you've heard we're interested...
  • Nesta Guinness-Walker is on trial at Reading but I still think that could be a goer if he doesn't get a deal there. Fits in with our current signings for me.