Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Good luck Josh , you could never fault his effort but league 2 is probably his level
  • Shame  Alice band, socks above the knee. He had it all!

Good luck Josh.
  • Striker in in the next day or two? 👀
    Doubt it. By the end of the window yes, but don't expect it to be that soon personally.
  • Never like it when we sell before we replace... Not with Strikers. 

Given how we have been playing... I just hope that Aneke isnt the Davison replacement (Given he has been playing in Midfield), with Payne in to cover where Aneke has been playing during Pre-Season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    Forward who can do a job wide and left back, that’s it for me, the rest is a bonus.
    But for what?   If you think genuinely that a forward can play wide and just a left back is going to get us where?   Promoted?   Or comfortably mid table?

I am GENUINELY asking as right now, Washington, our hardest working forward has gone and Burstow our most promising young forward has gone and replaced by Davison - who wasn't good enough for us last year and Leaburn who was significantly behind Burstow last year.

I think this side doesn't end up anywhere near the bottom 3 like the side that started last year but in the same way I think this side doesn't end up anywhere near the top 2 either.

This side, is a more solid mid table side than last year's.

In my opinion.   Not enough goals.   Not enough clean sheets, too many square pegs in round holes at right back and left back.  Not sure the goalkeeper or centre halves are quite up to playing the football Garner wants.

More positive than a year ago, but even @golfaddick probably is too!
    Well the left back to play left back as we haven’t got a natural one, and the forward/winger to be able to play in a two or wide of a three, surely you’re not saying there’s no such thing as a forward who can play wide??

I think the squad is coming along very nicely, the two signings I said I want to see I’ve no idea how good they’ll be but hopefully very!  I’m not going to predict where we’ll come because it’s just too hard to call.  Why do I need too?  We’ll get an indication of that in the first month or two, at this point we’re all in need of some faith because what choice do we have, we can’t control what goes on all we can do is debate it in here.  Appreciate you’re glass half empty and that’s fine, but you and I are none the wiser!
    Not glass half empty, just I think that as a whole Charlton should be aspiring to be getting out of this bloody division not getting rid of loads of players and replacing them with freebies.   We beat Derby to his signature - a big club, who are severely restricted by the Football League in what they can and can't do.

Swindon wanted to keep him.   That's right.  Swindon of Dvision 2, who lost in the play offs and who got relegated from League 1 the season before.

I don't aspire to bottom half of League 1 football and Charlton shouldn't either.   I'm not sure we have any choice, but I'm just preparing myself for a less difficult, but still difficult season - that way I won't bleat on for fcuking ever this year when things turn out how I thought they might.

I WANT to be proven wrong.   I can't see the side that does that for me.

What difference does it make if they were freebies or not?  So if the signings we had all had a year left and we paid a fee you’d be happy?  Pogba went for free, the price is irrelevant loads of good players are out of contract.

Swindon wanted him of course they did, in the same way we wanted to keep Aribo, but they went to clubs with bigger ambitions, I don’t see how that draws you to a negative conclusion.  
    We have signed players who played for a side who got relegated from League 1 two seasons ago and didn't get promoted last year.

I don't think they are going to get us promoted this year.   We are more solid, but more solid mid table, is still mid table.

I don't think 30 months into TS' reign (at the end of this season) that we should be aspiring to a solid mid table finish!

And I'm allowed that opinion.

If you are happy with mid table.   Be happy with it.  I'm not.
    Well now you’re being silly because you know I’m not happy with mid table.  And no one’s said you’re not allowed that opinion, you’re just being challenged, that’s one of the fundamentals of a forum.  

I don’t think we’ll finish mid table, I don’t understand what you mean when you say we’re more solid than last season but will finish mid table like last season.  Either we’ve improved or we haven’t, I think it’s flaming obvious we have.  But that’s where disagree, and on that note enjoy your evening.  
  • supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    Forward who can do a job wide and left back, that’s it for me, the rest is a bonus.
    But for what?   If you think genuinely that a forward can play wide and just a left back is going to get us where?   Promoted?   Or comfortably mid table?

I am GENUINELY asking as right now, Washington, our hardest working forward has gone and Burstow our most promising young forward has gone and replaced by Davison - who wasn't good enough for us last year and Leaburn who was significantly behind Burstow last year.

I think this side doesn't end up anywhere near the bottom 3 like the side that started last year but in the same way I think this side doesn't end up anywhere near the top 2 either.

In my opinion.   Not enough goals.   Not enough clean sheets, too many square pegs in round holes at right back and left back.  Not sure the goalkeeper or centre halves are quite up to playing the football Garner wants.

Well the left back to play left back as we haven’t got a natural one, and the forward/winger to be able to play in a two or wide of a three, surely you’re not saying there’s no such thing as a forward who can play wide??

I think the squad is coming along very nicely, the two signings I said I want to see I’ve no idea how good they’ll be but hopefully very!  I’m not going to predict where we’ll come because it’s just too hard to call.  Why do I need too?  We’ll get an indication of that in the first month or two, at this point we’re all in need of some faith because what choice do we have, we can’t control what goes on all we can do is debate it in here.  Appreciate you’re glass half empty and that’s fine, but you and I are none the wiser!
    Not glass half empty, just I think that as a whole Charlton should be aspiring to be getting out of this bloody division not getting rid of loads of players and replacing them with freebies.   We beat Derby to his signature - a big club, who are severely restricted by the Football League in what they can and can't do.

Swindon wanted to keep him.   That's right.  Swindon of Dvision 2, who lost in the play offs and who got relegated from League 1 the season before.

I don't aspire to bottom half of League 1 football and Charlton shouldn't either.   I'm not sure we have any choice, but I'm just preparing myself for a less difficult, but still difficult season - that way I won't bleat on for fcuking ever this year when things turn out how I thought they might.

What difference does it make if they were freebies or not?  So if the signings we had all had a year left and we paid a fee you’d be happy?  Pogba went for free, the price is irrelevant loads of good players are out of contract.

Swindon wanted him of course they did, in the same way we wanted to keep Aribo, but they went to clubs with bigger ambitions, I don’t see how that draws you to a negative conclusion.  
    We have signed players who played for a side who got relegated from League 1 two seasons ago and didn't get promoted last year.

I don't think they are going to get us promoted this year.   We are more solid, but more solid mid table, is still mid table.

I don't think 30 months into TS' reign (at the end of this season) that we should be aspiring to a solid mid table finish!

Well now you’re being silly because you know I’m not happy with mid table.  And no one’s said you’re not allowed that opinion, you’re just being challenged, that’s one of the fundamentals of a forum.  

I don’t think we’ll finish mid table, I don’t understand what you mean when you say we’re more solid than last season but will finish mid table like last season.  Either we’ve improved or we haven’t, I think it’s flaming obvious we have.  But that’s where disagree, and on that note enjoy your evening.  
    People are not keen on being challenged on here!!😂😬
  • Never like it when we sell before we replace... Not with Strikers. 

Given how we have been playing... I just hope that Aneke isnt the Davison replacement (Given he has been playing in Midfield), with Payne in to cover where Aneke has been playing during Pre-Season. 
    Except in this case, when I feel the youth team are a step up from what we actually have. Let’s be honest, we need another striker, but that need hasn’t increased any more by us shipping Davison on.
  • paulfox said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:

Challenge away.   I do like a good debate.   We'll know soon.   I just think what we have brought in should mean we don't start SHITE, but I don't think it gets us anywhere near top 6, let alone top 2.

So, I find from 7th downwards a failure for a club of our size and stature.   I am glad we're not owned by the last lot and TS has done a lot of good, but 30 months on (when the season ends I repeat), if we are not challenging, ney, getting promoted, I am sure TS will see it as a failure, as will I.

Sorry about that.   I grew up with us being shit in Division 2 and then the Premier League days.  I know how far the fans fought to save our club.   I'm proud to be a Charlton fan, especially as a lot of my mates are Palace wankers, but I aspire in my day to be better than mediocre and would like Charlton, its players, its owners and its fans to aspire to greater things too.

RED ARMY!
  • Sponsored links:

• Jonniesta said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:

Actually, I think Payne is the first player we've signed from the side that got relegated two seasons ago, unless you're counting Wollacott's 2 appearances on loan from Bristol City. 

No-one's happy with mid-table, but the cost of the transfer is not a good indicator of the quality of the signing. 

This team wouldn't get us promoted this year under Adkins... or Jackson. But under Garner, who knows? I'm more optimistic. 
    You can be optimistic.   He doesn't have a single promotion on his CV.   And I'm not saying THESE specific players all played for THE side that got relegated to League 2, but they played for a side that got relegated to League 2 and had only had 6 players at the start of last season and Garner did NOT have a good CV managerial record.

Now, BG may turn out to be the messiah.   I want him to.   But blind optimism just leads us to many new false dawns.   I am a realist.  Not a pessimist.   We have been pretty mediocre for a while and I again, don't see anything but a play off place or automatic promotion as any tangible improvements after 30 months of new ownership.

• supaclive said:
    paulfox said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:

Challenge away.   I do like a good debate.   We'll know soon.   I just think what we have brought in should mean we don't start SHITE, but I don't think it gets us anywhere near top 6, let alone top 2.

So, I find from 7th downwards a failure for a club of our size and stature.   I am glad we're not owned by the last lot and TS has done a lot of good, but 30 months on (when the season ends I repeat), if we are not challenging, ney, getting promoted, I am sure TS will see it as a failure, as will I.

Sorry about that.   I grew up with us being shit in Division 2 and then the Premier League days.  I know how far the fans fought to save our club.   I'm proud to be a Charlton fan, especially as a lot of my mates are Palace wankers, but I aspire in my day to be better than mediocre and would like Charlton, its players, its owners and its fans to aspire to greater things too.

RED ARMY!
    Oi, don’t have a pop at me pal, I actually agree with a large chunk of this post from you, a lot of you’re other posts have been a bit bolloxy I’ll admit😜 but anyway,, last season was a complete failure, but as it stands none of us really know what is going to happen, there is no reason to suggest this bunch of players( not complete by the way) aren’t going to have a good season. They may not but we have to wait and see. If they fail again then TS and the club deserve some stick. I’ve been going since the seventies so seen the best, possibly the worst times, not as many as some on here, but enough to know sometimes when the bar isn’t very high it gets well and truly jumped over. It’s the hope that gets us, don’t see the point if we don’t keep hoping.
  • From memory, Davison hasn't played as a No 9 this pre-season, instead he's been one of the wide attackers. Against Colchester, when Chuks was tried in midfield, it was Leaburn who played in the middle.
  • supaclive said:
    Jonniesta said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:

Actually, I think Payne is the first player we've signed from the side that got relegated two seasons ago, unless you're counting Wollacott's 2 appearances on loan from Bristol City. 

No-one's happy with mid-table, but the cost of the transfer is not a good indicator of the quality of the signing. 

This team wouldn't get us promoted this year under Adkins... or Jackson. But under Garner, who knows? I'm more optimistic. 
    You can be optimistic.   He doesn't have a single promotion on his CV.   And I'm not saying THESE specific players all played for THE side that got relegated to League 2, but they played for a side that got relegated to League 2 and had only had 6 players at the start of last season and Garner did NOT have a good CV managerial record.

Now, BG may turn out to be the messiah.   I want him to.   But blind optimism just leads us to many new false dawns.   I am a realist.  Not a pessimist.   We have been pretty mediocre for a while and I again, don't see anything but a play off place or automatic promotion as any tangible improvements after 30 months of new ownership.

Fair enough, but a realist supporting Charlton is just asking for trouble. It's hard enough being an optimist. Come on board HMS Scrape-the-play-offs instead... 
  • supaclive said:
    Jonniesta said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:

How about intangible ones, such as nearly a whole squad of players on long term contracts?

Rather than 7, when he took over who didn’t even receive wages for a month. 
  • I would have Naby Sarr back I'm a heartbeat but frankly, I suspect he can/will do better than us. 

Even with the guaranteed odd howler, he'd be a big upgrade on Akin 'hoof it down the line' Famewo.

• Swear he was on stupid wages too with us and Huddersfield