Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• This is the beginning of my 58th season of watching the Addicks. Over this time I have developed a 6th sense about how we are likely to fare in the upcoming season and in the past 20 years I have rarely been wrong. When I have sensed an upturn in our fortunes I have invariably placed a bet for the season (Outright Winners, Promotion or both). I don't bet at any other time. When I fear a disappointing season ahead I simply don't place a bet. I did not bet in the last two seasons. However, this season I have placed two bets (£50 @ 28-1 Outright Winners and £50 @ 7-1 Promotion). Over the past 15 years I'm up by c£2,600. Who knows how this season will pan out, but I'm certainly not as negative as some and I have put my money where my mouth is. I'm quietly confident that this will turn out to be a much better season than some here fear.
    I've got £775 on top half.
    At what odds?
    £400 8/13
    £375 4/6
    Not bad although with our next 6 games including Derby, Wednesday, Plymouth, Bolton and Wycombe I could see those odds lengthening further if we don't bring in some star dust quick so might hold off and see if I get better then
  • This is the beginning of my 58th season of watching the Addicks. Over this time I have developed a 6th sense about how we are likely to fare in the upcoming season and in the past 20 years I have rarely been wrong. When I have sensed an upturn in our fortunes I have invariably placed a bet for the season (Outright Winners, Promotion or both). I don't bet at any other time. When I fear a disappointing season ahead I simply don't place a bet. I did not bet in the last two seasons. However, this season I have placed two bets (£50 @ 28-1 Outright Winners and £50 @ 7-1 Promotion). Over the past 15 years I'm up by c£2,600. Who knows how this season will pan out, but I'm certainly not as negative as some and I have put my money where my mouth is. I'm quietly confident that this will turn out to be a much better season than some here fear.
    I've got £775 on top half.
    At what odds?
    £400 8/13
    £375 4/6
    Not bad although with our next 6 games including Derby, Wednesday, Plymouth, Bolton and Wycombe I could see those odds lengthening further if we don't bring in some star dust quick so might hold off and see if I get better then
    We’ll certainly have a bloody good idea of where our seasons headed after playing that lot.
  • Perhaps TS is fur coat and no knickers
  • Ball park means close to but I'm going to guess more like 7th or 8th in the division now.
  • How does he know the figures of other clubs
  • supaclive said:
    Ball park means close to but I'm going to guess more like 7th or 8th in the division now.
    I've got quite confused how these budget restrictions relative to turnover kick in, that's unless Thomas effectively 'donates' money to us, which he doesn't.

It doesn't surprise me that our budget isn't top three based on turnover and so I think you're probably right.
  • TS is getting his retaliation in first. If things don't turn out well he is not the bad guy if he can convince us money was not the issue.
    BG gone by Xmas if we have a poor start? After all, apparently he has a top 3 budget to work with.
  • Clarky said:
    Can't see it really matters, afterall being in the top three budget wise last season didn't equate to anywhere near our final league position.
    I agree. Ipswich were probably in the top one of big spenders.
    It didn't get them promoted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Big money don't mean promotion, you can have all the money in the world, but if you don't know how and where to spend it, it means f all.
    We ain't done too bad with the signings so far, and listening to Ben's pre Derby interview, he sounds upbeat with how things are going with a couple of potential new signings, so every confidence that we will get what we want sorted soon enough..panic not everybody... B)
  • I understand that a top 3 budget should roughly equate to a top 3 finish in general terms, but we also have to take into account that the team that finished last season (regardless of the budget), finished 13th.  So you’re already having to make up for the gap that existed.  
  • Southbank said:
    TS is getting his retaliation in first. If things don't turn out well he is not the bad guy if he can convince us money was not the issue.
    BG gone by Xmas if we have a poor start? After all, apparently he has a top 3 budget to work with.
    And then went out of this way to big up Martin for "finding" Garner 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
  • How does he know the figures of other clubs
    Someone on here confirmed a while ago it’s shared with all owners in the division. Part of ensuring the league remains competitive I guess.
  • A top 3 budget doesn't mean a top 3 finish, but it sure helps! Ipswich were the outlier last season, but the likes of Wigan, Sunderland and Wednesday all finished in the top 5 last season. The 2011/12  and 2018/19 promotion sides would both have been near the top of the table for wages.

It's obvious we're spending less this summer from our signings, when we've signed 4 players who were all playing in L2 last season, and 1 from Lincoln who won't be near the top of the salary scale either. 
  • Perhaps TS is fur coat and no knickers
    😉

• Cannon of Everton who we are linked with playing under 21 for Everton now and scores just b4 halftime for them,
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    Both could very easily be true. Clearly Wednesday and Derby are spending more than anyone did last year. The players who Derby have brought in this summer will be on at least 2-3 times anything we are paying.

So shock horror, both Garner and TS could be telling the truth.
    I agree , but I suspect Ipswich are paying over the odds as well.

I suspect we are probably top six with Barnsley and Peterborough potentially out gunning us also.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2022
    I read that as our budget hasn't changed much.

How other budgets compare is another thing but I suspect the three relegated clubs plus Derby and Wednesday have bigger budgets.

I was more interested that Garner was finally wearing a club top and, since this is the  rumours thread, that he said two players were close.

Assuming JRS is one and Sarr is the other
  • I read that as our budget hasn't changed much.

How other budgets compare is another thing but I suspect the three relegated clubs plus Derby and Wednesday have bigger budgets.

I was more interested that Garner was finally were a club top and, since this is the  rumours thread, that he said two players were close.

Isnt Sarr @ Reading now?

I was more interested that Garner was finally were a club top and, since this is the  rumours thread, that he said two players were close.

Sarr?

I was more interested that Garner was finally wearing a club top and, since this is the  rumours thread, that he said two players were close.

Derby were one of the relegated clubs.
  • I assumed that was a joke about Henry's favourite ball playing defender.

Ince expecting Naby to be confirmed next week.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/reading-huddersfield-charlton-naby-sarr-24667216

Sarr?
    Im going to keep posting it until he returns!
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    Both could very easily be true. Clearly Wednesday and Derby are spending more than anyone did last year. The players who Derby have brought in this summer will be on at least 2-3 times anything we are paying.

So shock horror, both Garner and TS could be telling the truth.
    I believe Garner is telling the truth .