Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Scoham said:
    Swindon said to owe a company £312k, though a judge has ruled a winding up petition against them should be dismissed.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/20595713.swindon-town-winding-up-petition-details-emerge-second-debt/
    We’ll give you £312k for McKirdy/ any other fancied Swindon player of that value or more etc
  • Scoham said:
    He said incoming a week ago, rak-sakyi must have only just found his way to our stadium. 
  • Where’s Richard Cawley when you need him?
  • edited August 2022
    Chunes said:
    To those saying they hope we don't get left behind, in our promotion season we lost the opening game to Sunderland and we couldn't even name a full bench. Just five of the available seven, those being Ajose, Sarr, AMB, Maloney (I don't even remember him) and Hackett-Fairchild.

And we went on to get promoted.

What's strange is that I've just been back through every season since then and I can't find a stronger, fuller squad than the one we've got now. (Find me another season where we've got players like MacGilvray, Payne, Kirk, McGrandles, Gilbey & Lavelle on the BENCH on day one). And yet this board is more overwhelmingly negative than it's ever been. I can only put it down to some kind of collective emotional trauma we've all experienced because objectively we are better placed than we have been in the past five years, including the season we got promoted. 

The season won't live or die based on whether we do our final business on deadline day or not, we are already further ahead than we've been in a long time.
    Our squad might have more depth than that Sunderland one, but that Sunderland game squad arguably had more quality, the sort of players who are "too good for L1" as shown by the number playing at a higher level, or were signed by us in the Championship such as Bauer and Sarr.

I remember watching that game and coming away full of optimism as we looked good until Pearce was forced off .

• Rest of window / season will go like this…

1. Kirk sold
    2. JFC/Gilbey sold
    3. JRS in on loan
    4. McKirdy in (perm)
    5. Simpson in (perm)
    6. Defender in (loan)
    7. 85 pts
    8. Wembley promotion
    9. Open top bus celebration
    10. Statue of Garner built outside Museum
    7. Bottom 3 at the end of October
    8. Thomas sacks Garner - " We can't keep conceding stupid goals from trying to pass out from the back, I want a manager who can keep a clean sheet and grind out results, we need to attack more quickly. I've always been a believer in direct football."
    9. Tony Pulis becomes the new manager
    10. Jason Pearce comes out of retirement to play as an emergency No 9 with both Stockley and Aneke are injured
    11. Purrington rejoins for £500k to replace Sessegnon who has been recalled by Fulham
    12. We sign 6'9 Kyle Hudlin on loan from Huddersfield as a replacement for Leaburn who goes to Palace for an undisclosed fee
    13. Payne, Wollacott and Egbo all go out on loan to Swindon, we sign 3 Accrington players to replace them
    14. We finish 13th again.
    15. My season ticket for 23/24 goes up another £50

Crickey ,sounds like you could do with a few more better nights sleep!!
  • North Hykeham is a sub district of south Lincoln by the way.
  • Chunes said:
    To those saying they hope we don't get left behind, in our promotion season we lost the opening game to Sunderland and we couldn't even name a full bench. Just five of the available seven, those being Ajose, Sarr, AMB, Maloney (I don't even remember him) and Hackett-Fairchild.

What's strange is that I've just been back through every season since then and I can't find a stronger, fuller squad than the one we've got now. (Find me another season where we've got players like MacGilvray, Payne, Kirk, McGrandles, Gilbey & Lavelle on the BENCH on day one). And yet this board is more overwhelmingly negative than it's ever been. I can only put it down to some kind of collective emotional trauma we've all experienced because objectively we are better placed than we have been in the past five years, including the season we got promoted. 

The season won't live or die based on whether we do our final business on deadline day or not, we are already further ahead than we've been in a long time.
    I think it's also a case of looking at the squad as a whole and thinking they aren't up to much. Sure having honest and experienced pros knocking around the squad is better than having a bunch of kids, but none of them are exciting players, people who look a level above the league we're in, and that's what feels different compared to the promotion seasons IMO
  • Sponsored links:

• North Hykeham is a sub district of south Lincoln by the way.
    But it's in South Kesteven.
  • Scoham said:
    sam3110 said:
    Chunes said:

I think it's also a case of looking at the squad as a whole and thinking they aren't up to much. Sure having honest and experienced pros knocking around the squad is better than having a bunch of kids, but none of them are exciting players, people who look a level above the league we're in, and that's what feels different compared to the promotion seasons IMO
    Many of the players who were seen as “too good for League 1” became more highly rated as the season went on.

I remember players like Aribo and Bielik being inconsistent early on. Bielik was even subbed off at half time in one game after he kept giving the ball away and Aribo wasn’t the goal threat he became.

We don’t have players who obviously stand out like they did but it’s too early to be sure no one will progress to that point. Late signings coming in could add real quality too as Yann, Bielik and Cullen did.
    Another way of looking at it is we have about 5,040 different combinations of CMs (work it out on a calculator.. admittedly it would be a funny formation) that could do a job.  It is arguable if we have 2 or 3 for the back 4 and the front 3.  It's also arguable that we dont have a good front 3, as it stands, in any combination.

Now that could all change if the right 3 or 4 come in between now and the end of the month.  I hope it does.  Expecting it will is a bit different.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    sam3110 said:
    Chunes said:

Many of the players who were seen as “too good for League 1” became more highly rated as the season went on.

I remember players like Aribo and Bielik being inconsistent early on. Bielik was even subbed off at half time in one game after he kept giving the ball away and Aribo wasn’t the goal threat he became.

We don’t have players who obviously stand out like they did but it’s too early to be sure no one will progress to that point. Late signings coming in could add real quality too as Yann, Bielik and Cullen did.
    Another way of looking at it is we have about 5,040 different combinations of CMs (work it out on a calculator.. admittedly it would be a funny formation) that could do a job.  It is arguable if we have 2 or 3 for the back 4 and the front 3.  It's also arguable that we dont have a good front 3, as it stands, in any combination.

Now that could all change if the right 3 or 4 come in between now and the end of the month.  I hope it does.  Expecting it will is a bit different.
    Take 40 combos off for Albie though!!😜🤣… JOKE!!!!!!
  • supaclive said:
    I'm all for optimism but many of our shit show of last year started last week's game and, in my opinion nobody in this squad comes anywhere near Aribo, Cullen or Bielek.....

We got shit lucky with those guys didn’t we, very much the exception to the rule as they say. We are firmly back to the real world now. Although I don’t think it’s quite as bad as you say, hopefully with improvements.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

We are miles ahead of where we were last summer and the two previous ones at this level.

In 18/19 we signed a few including Bielik and Cullen after the season started.  In the other two seasons we didn't get promoted, we didn't even finish in the top half last season.  So we are better off than last season isn't really a high bench mark.

I don't think anyone thinks we won't sign some more people before the window slams shut.  I don't think anyone thinks we have got enough to be promotion challengers now.

The big question is will we get a couple of Cullen and Bielik level signings or more Lee's and Leko's?

Last season I was convinced, even after 3 or 4 games that we would get it right.  We didn't.  We got it wrong in January.  Why should I believe we will get it right this time?
    January was tough because we already had nothing to play for. Fraser was a decent investment and we finally replaced Aneke, with Aneke. Castillo and John were poor admittedly, although the former can be explained, even if not defended, if the rumour about signing him for Aneke is true. 
    You could say January was a good window because we have Fraser and A&Eneke now but the 4 of them played how many games?  We had everything to play for on new years day.  We could have got promoted or relegated.

You could also say that last summer was a good window because Clare has reinvented himself as a defender, CBT got fit about February and Kirk might come good.  Didn't help us at the time though.
    Not sure about the position in January, realistically our initial run under Jacko staved off relegation fears and we we'd started too far behind to realistically challenge. We lost at home to Wycombe on New Years Day and we were 14 points off play offs, only the very optimistic thought that would be possible. 

Fraser was an investment because he was a decent, permanent signing. The rest was pretty poor but ultimately didn't really contribute to last season's failure nor will it determine how we do this season so I find it pretty irrelevant now. 
  • supaclive said:
    I'm all for optimism but many of our shit show of last year started last week's game and, in my opinion nobody in this squad comes anywhere near Aribo, Cullen or Bielek.....

Whilst I, like many, won't disagree, it's not impossible for Dobson to be our Bielik, McGrandles our Cullen and either Payne or Fraser our Aribo. Our midfield depth is certainly better than that season, and let's not forget we only really had Taylor up top. I'm concerned about Stockley being suitable for the formation and the biggest concern for me is the defence to be honest. If we had Bauer, Sarr and Dijksteel I'd be a lot more confident. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2022
    Chunes said:

So much in this post I want to disagree with, but 2 that stand out are : 

We narrowly lost to Sunderland on the first day of that season and then met them in the PLAY OFFS 9 months later. No one will be meeting Accrington in the play offs this season. 

Agree our season wont live or die based on whether we do our final business on deadline day because its already too late. We needed a big rebuild this summer & to do it BEFORE the season started. 2 games in & we still dont have a left footed left back & only 3 recognised strikers - 1 of which made his debut (and yes, scored) on Saturday & 1 is so injury prone that he is not fit enough to start the season. 

And this season was going to be different than last. Yeah right. 
    I feel like you may have misread my post or skimmed it? It's nothing to do with who our opposition is on the first day, Accrington, Sunderland or whoever else. It was about the readiness of our squad. 

And on the other point you say it's 'too late because we are supposed to have our team before the season starts', and yet I've given the example above where we couldn't even fill the bench on the first day and went on to get promoted. 
  • As with all transfer windows the proof of wheather they have been good or bad will be shown in the results. 

I think having a decent clear out was a good thing  apart from Washington who I would have kept. 

As for the players we have brought in they appear to be better than those who have left.

My main concern is that as things stand we are not good enough for promotion. 
    So any further signings will have to be very good. 
    A good point - I would have kept Washington and Purrington myself. Both areas where we are now hunting for a replacement when the season has already started. 
    I do not get the impression we are "hunting for a forward now Leaburn has turned pro, TS has always said a blend of youth and experience and with his goals in the friendlies and a goal on his debut I suspect he is happy with what we have now. 
    In which case he is seriously delusional
  • It feels like in previous TS summers we’ve had the budget but our recruitment has been poor. This summer I think we are being a lot smarter with recruitment but I’m not sure the budget is enough to get us up there. I think we’ve improved from last season (not hard!) but not enough to be top 6. Hopefully we can bring in 3 really good players that make the difference but I’m not that confident 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

We are miles ahead of where we were last summer and the two previous ones at this level.

In 18/19 we signed a few including Bielik and Cullen after the season started.  In the other two seasons we didn't get promoted, we didn't even finish in the top half last season.  So we are better off than last season isn't really a high bench mark.

I don't think anyone thinks we won't sign some more people before the window slams shut.  I don't think anyone thinks we have got enough to be promotion challengers now.

The big question is will we get a couple of Cullen and Bielik level signings or more Lee's and Leko's?

Last season I was convinced, even after 3 or 4 games that we would get it right.  We didn't.  We got it wrong in January.  Why should I believe we will get it right this time?
    January was tough because we already had nothing to play for. Fraser was a decent investment and we finally replaced Aneke, with Aneke. Castillo and John were poor admittedly, although the former can be explained, even if not defended, if the rumour about signing him for Aneke is true. 
    You could say January was a good window because we have Fraser and A&Eneke now but the 4 of them played how many games?  We had everything to play for on new years day.  We could have got promoted or relegated.

You could also say that last summer was a good window because Clare has reinvented himself as a defender, CBT got fit about February and Kirk might come good.  Didn't help us at the time though.
    Not sure about the position in January, realistically our initial run under Jacko staved off relegation fears and we we'd started too far behind to realistically challenge. We lost at home to Wycombe on New Years Day and we were 14 points off play offs, only the very optimistic thought that would be possible. 

Fraser was an investment because he was a decent, permanent signing. The rest was pretty poor but ultimately didn't really contribute to last season's failure nor will it determine how we do this season so I find it pretty irrelevant now. 
    Aneke?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

Aneke?
    I wouldn't have signed him back but he needed replacing. So whilst I'm glad we addressed the gap, I would have gone elsewhere but no idea who. 
  • NabySarr said:
    It feels like in previous TS summers we’ve had the budget but our recruitment has been poor. This summer I think we are being a lot smarter with recruitment but I’m not sure the budget is enough to get us up there. I think we’ve improved from last season (not hard!) but not enough to be top 6. Hopefully we can bring in 3 really good players that make the difference but I’m not that confident 
    I'd agree with this. Hindsight is what brings me to say it but I just so wish we could have appointed someone like Garner and gone into last summer with this type of manager in place. Bit smarter last summer and even if we hadn't have gone up we might have had a decent core squad of 14/15 entering this summer's window. 
  • Scoham said:
    sam3110 said:
    Chunes said:

Aribo would disappear for a while in many games..Bielik was Mr inconsistent  especially early on and Cullen got a couple of injuries one long term. 

• NabySarr said:
    It feels like in previous TS summers we’ve had the budget but our recruitment has been poor. This summer I think we are being a lot smarter with recruitment but I’m not sure the budget is enough to get us up there. I think we’ve improved from last season (not hard!) but not enough to be top 6. Hopefully we can bring in 3 really good players that make the difference but I’m not that confident 
    i think this is a fair summary - bring 3 top signings in before the window closes and i will view things differently and think that we have been more selective as to how and where our budget has been spent - if we don't then i will think the strategy has always been to shoestring it with a manager who knows a lot of lower division players who might just be able to conjure something out of not a lot - we enquired about Lewis Bate again this window but were told the figures and said he was out of our price bracket - he's now at Oxford so either we either only valued him at a certain amount or we are being outgunned by the likes of Oxford.