Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• One question is whether we are in a better points position on deadline day. It’s a pretty low bar given we had four from five games last year (and lost the next two), but if we had ten or more from six then the later signings have a chance. 
    Sounds obvious i know but getting points from the home games is going to be crucial for us because with Sheff Weds, Wycombe and Bolton away i'm not expecting us to get many on the road. I hope i'm wrong though.
  • edited August 2022
    Scoham said:
    Scoop Nixon throws his 1st dart, hits the floor 2 feet in front of the board. 2nd dart hits the frame of the board and richocets back towards him. 3rd dart just the wrong side of the 20 wire,  "one"...

Then realises the darts match was the week before.
  • One question is whether we are in a better points position on deadline day. It’s a pretty low bar given we had four from five games last year (and lost the next two), but if we had ten or more from six then the later signings have a chance. 
    Sounds obvious i know but getting points from the home games is going to be crucial for us because with Sheff Weds, Wycombe and Bolton away i'm not expecting us .to get many on the road. I hope i'm wrong though.
    It depends on your targets, but surely it’s just as crucial to get points away at the places you mention if our target is promotion, if it isn’t promotion, then just win at home
  • paulfox said:
    One question is whether we are in a better points position on deadline day. It’s a pretty low bar given we had four from five games last year (and lost the next two), but if we had ten or more from six then the later signings have a chance. 
    Sounds obvious i know but getting points from the home games is going to be crucial for us because with Sheff Weds, Wycombe and Bolton away i'm not expecting us .to get many on the road. I hope i'm wrong though.
    It depends on your targets, but surely it’s just as crucial to get points away at the places you mention if our target is promotion, if it isn’t promotion, then just win at home
    Agreed, a promotion seeking side will go to Wednesday, Wycombe etc and expect to come back with something.
  • Expecting a win is the perfect way to underestimate your opponent and then lose.
  • paulfox said:
    One question is whether we are in a better points position on deadline day. It’s a pretty low bar given we had four from five games last year (and lost the next two), but if we had ten or more from six then the later signings have a chance. 
    Agreed, a promotion seeking side will go to Wednesday, Wycombe etc and expect to come back with something.
    Might not get something at all of them, but NEED to get a good haul of points. Definitely can’t just rely on home form is my point.
  • Chunes said:
    To those saying they hope we don't get left behind, in our promotion season we lost the opening game to Sunderland and we couldn't even name a full bench. Just five of the available seven, those being Ajose, Sarr, AMB, Maloney (I don't even remember him) and Hackett-Fairchild.

And we went on to get promoted.

What's strange is that I've just been back through every season since then and I can't find a stronger, fuller squad than the one we've got now. (Find me another season where we've got players like MacGilvray, Payne, Kirk, McGrandles, Gilbey & Lavelle on the BENCH on day one). And yet this board is more overwhelmingly negative than it's ever been. I can only put it down to some kind of collective emotional trauma we've all experienced because objectively we are better placed than we have been in the past five years, including the season we got promoted. 

The season won't live or die based on whether we do our final business on deadline day or not, we are already further ahead than we've been in a long time.
    I agree, but I get laughed out of town for this type of post😂😂, oh well we can’t all be popular😜
  • I don’t expect any more permanent signings but loans will be crucial. Can we get some real quality in on loan?
  • Chunes said:
    To those saying they hope we don't get left behind, in our promotion season we lost the opening game to Sunderland and we couldn't even name a full bench. Just five of the available seven, those being Ajose, Sarr, AMB, Maloney (I don't even remember him) and Hackett-Fairchild.

What's strange is that I've just been back through every season since then and I can't find a stronger, fuller squad than the one we've got now. (Find me another season where we've got players like MacGilvray, Payne, Kirk, McGrandles, Gilbey & Lavelle on the BENCH on day one). And yet this board is more overwhelmingly negative than it's ever been. I can only put it down to some kind of collective emotional trauma we've all experienced because objectively we are better placed than we have been in the past five years, including the season we got promoted. 

The season won't live or die based on whether we do our final business on deadline day or not, we are already further ahead than we've been in a long time.
    We are miles ahead of where we were last summer and the two previous ones at this level.

In 18/19 we signed a few including Bielik and Cullen after the season started.  In the other two seasons we didn't get promoted, we didn't even finish in the top half last season.  So we are better off than last season isn't really a high bench mark.

I don't think anyone thinks we won't sign some more people before the window slams shut.  I don't think anyone thinks we have got enough to be promotion challengers now.

The big question is will we get a couple of Cullen and Bielik level signings or more Lee's and Leko's?

Last season I was convinced, even after 3 or 4 games that we would get it right.  We didn't.  We got it wrong in January.  Why should I believe we will get it right this time?
  • Sponsored links:

• Taxi_Lad said:
    I don’t expect any more permanent signings but loans will be crucial. Can we get some real quality in on loan?
    I fear we have dropped down the pecking order for the really good loans, all depends on Gallen and BG’s pulling power.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

We are miles ahead of where we were last summer and the two previous ones at this level.

In 18/19 we signed a few including Bielik and Cullen after the season started.  In the other two seasons we didn't get promoted, we didn't even finish in the top half last season.  So we are better off than last season isn't really a high bench mark.

I don't think anyone thinks we won't sign some more people before the window slams shut.  I don't think anyone thinks we have got enough to be promotion challengers now.

The big question is will we get a couple of Cullen and Bielik level signings or more Lee's and Leko's?

Last season I was convinced, even after 3 or 4 games that we would get it right.  We didn't.  We got it wrong in January.  Why should I believe we will get it right this time?
    January was tough because we already had nothing to play for. Fraser was a decent investment and we finally replaced Aneke, with Aneke. Castillo and John were poor admittedly, although the former can be explained, even if not defended, if the rumour about signing him for Aneke is true. 
  • paulfox said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    I don’t expect any more permanent signings but loans will be crucial. Can we get some real quality in on loan?
    I fear we have dropped down the pecking order for the really good loans, all depends on Gallen and BG’s pulling power.
    If Garner has a reputation for playing modern possession based football then it will be known at PL clubs. That’s a better bet for their youngsters than with no disrespect meant, Accrington for example.
  • I would accept we are ahead. Miles ahead......I'm not so sure.
  • paulfox said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    If Garner has a reputation for playing modern possession based football then it will be known at PL clubs. That’s a better bet for their youngsters than with no disrespect meant, Accrington for example.
    Yes hopefully, I just think maybe the better loans will go to teams competing for promotion, do the other clubs consider us to be in the mix?. I’d assume location is in our favour if we want the better youngsters in London?, all hypothetical thinking.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

January was tough because we already had nothing to play for. Fraser was a decent investment and we finally replaced Aneke, with Aneke. Castillo and John were poor admittedly, although the former can be explained, even if not defended, if the rumour about signing him for Aneke is true. 
    You could say January was a good window because we have Fraser and A&Eneke now but the 4 of them played how many games?  We had everything to play for on new years day.  We could have got promoted or relegated.

You could also say that last summer was a good window because Clare has reinvented himself as a defender, CBT got fit about February and Kirk might come good.  Didn't help us at the time though.
    Miles with his head,  certainly.
    Results will decide. 

• If we’re looking for a wide player think Dale would be a good option, was excellent for Crewe opposite to Kirk
  • Rothko said:
    We've got 3 1/2 weeks to go, Garner has said we need a few more, Sandgaard said he thought there would be more business at the end of the window. 

The business so far has been alright so far, couple more it'll be even better. 
    Even better than bang average? I for one cannot wait to see what further dross comes through the door. 
    Not a dig, just interested to know what dross we have signed so far? Obviously after one game you have a valid opinion….
  • Sponsored links:

• Lewis Bate gone to Oxford 
  • PWADDICK said:

If we’re looking for a wide player think Dale would be a good option, was excellent for Crewe opposite to Kirk
    Would swap him for Kirk...... 
  • Rothko said:
    We've got 3 1/2 weeks to go, Garner has said we need a few more, Sandgaard said he thought there would be more business at the end of the window. 

The business so far has been alright so far, couple more it'll be even better. 
    Even better than bang average? I for one cannot wait to see what further dross comes through the door. 
    Id "lol" this more if I could...what a ridiculous comment.
  • DOUCHER said:
    Lewis Bate gone to Oxford 
    Means JFC won't.... 
  • edited August 2022
    I would accept we are ahead. Miles ahead......I'm not so sure.
    Results will decide. 
    Results will decide the season, definitely. I think anyone can look at a time when we couldn't fill our bench, or started the season with 3-4 youth players, Vs now and decide whether we are ahead or not based purely on the terms of the squad readiness. 
  • Swindon said to owe a company £312k, though a judge has ruled a winding up petition against them should be dismissed.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/20595713.swindon-town-winding-up-petition-details-emerge-second-debt/
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Lewis Bate gone to Oxford 
    Means JFC won't.... 
    not sure we were in the equation this window - definitely last window - Oxford pushing the boat out apparently and they are expecting more prem loans from arsenal and Chelsea