Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Chunes said:
    Xg is the most useless stat in football 
    Why?  It’s an indication that on another day we could have got spanked, so perhaps we could use this let off to tighten up.

Why the desperate need to ignore all the modern information technology at our disposal now.  
    I'm not sure how confirming you should've scored more goals but didn't is useful in any way. You could tell that from just watching the game
    More and more teams spend less time swinging in high crosses and shoot from range a lot less because they have been found to be low xG. It's why Man City spend most of their time getting to the byline and hitting those low crosses back across goal for a tap-in just like our first against Accrington because it's a much higher percentage play. 

So I'd argue it's not true to say it's the most useless stat in football, it has really changed the game. 

As a fan you might find it useless to know your team had more chances but still lost, I personally like the info. There's been a few times I've been surprised by the xG because I've been too caught up in the emotion of the match and thinking we are rubbish! Also gives you an indication of whether you have serious problems or you are actually playing well but just not finishing chances. 
    No matter how many chances you create, if you consistently don't convert them then you do have serious problems, so I do not find that statistic very comforting!
    If you create loads of great chances but miss them, your weakness is finishing which may require a more clinical striker
    If you don't create loads of great chances, then it's not the striker's fault you aren't scoring goals.

Indeed things like shot conversion rates are a good way of comparing strikers. Last season for example Swindon were a very attacking team, creating lots of chances, therefore you'd expect their attacking players to score lots of goals, whereas a striker feeding off scraps elsewhere might actually be more clinical, but score fewer goals because the team creates so little.
  • Kirk might well do well elsewhere. I don’t believe it is at our footballing expense.
    Good luck to him, but everybody should cut their losses on this one.
    Basically it’s all a bit being at the wrong place at the wrong time.
  • Happy if we manage to get McKirdy as he's different to what we have
  • Chunes said:
    Why?  It’s an indication that on another day we could have got spanked, so perhaps we could use this let off to tighten up.

Why the desperate need to ignore all the modern information technology at our disposal now.  
    I'm not sure how confirming you should've scored more goals but didn't is useful in any way. You could tell that from just watching the game
    More and more teams spend less time swinging in high crosses and shoot from range a lot less because they have been found to be low xG. It's why Man City spend most of their time getting to the byline and hitting those low crosses back across goal for a tap-in just like our first against Accrington because it's a much higher percentage play. 

So I'd argue it's not true to say it's the most useless stat in football, it has really changed the game. 

As a fan you might find it useless to know your team had more chances but still lost, I personally like the info. There's been a few times I've been surprised by the xG because I've been too caught up in the emotion of the match and thinking we are rubbish! Also gives you an indication of whether you have serious problems or you are actually playing well but just not finishing chances. 
    No matter how many chances you create, if you consistently don't convert them then you do have serious problems, so I do not find that statistic very comforting!
    It’s not supposed to be comforting. It just helps us understand the problem areas, in the most simplest form are we struggling creating or converting chances?
  • A for Away! 

• edited August 2022
    Chunes said:

But then the stat doesnt take into account that there is another bloke, on the other team who has a job to do to keep the shots out of his net.

A Goalkeeper cant stop everything, but xG must still a very one sided stat, as doesnt break down how many shots went wide, how many were missed with an empty net in front of them... Or even how many were standard or worldie saves from the opposition Goalkeeper surely?

Its one thing that makes me laugh when fans talk about performances during a match

- Our Striker: He should have scored that... Our Goalkeeper: Oh he should have saved that

But how often is it spun on its head, with fans taking the same view with the opposition
  • Sponsored links:

• Vfrf said:
    A for Away! 

P is for Pegging?
  • Gammon said:
    Chunes said:

It’s not supposed to be comforting. It just helps us understand the problem areas, in the most simplest form are we struggling creating or converting chances?
    Exactly, it's the difference between a bit of bad luck/goalie having a blinder and an actually bad performance. 
  • Scoham said:
    Three clubs enquired about signing Kirk permanently - Blackpool, Reading and Hibs.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-winger-drawing-interest-from-three-clubs/
    good job we aren't in Clubcall days. Would have been holding on for 5 mins to be told something what we already know
  • Vfrf said:
    A for Away! 

P is for Pegging?
    Maybe A is for Anal...
  • Didnt Blackpool have a deal where they had an option on Kirk as part of the loan? They clearly didn't take that up!
    Cos the quoted price was unacceptable i.e. we want money for his signature and that's unacceptable
  • Scoham said:
    Be surprised disappointed if he's here come September

• Didnt Blackpool have a deal where they had an option on Kirk as part of the loan? They clearly didn't take that up!
    I believe they wanted to keep him but at a lower price than had been agreed. 
    I believe they did that with a previous loan. Took on player with option to buy at an agreed figure & then tried to renegotiate which I think succeeded.
  • edited August 2022
    This thread's really gone downhill of late, and that's from a rather lowly starting point. Come back Cawley. Your country needs you!
  • Bristol Rovers fans believe we are in for AFC Wimbledon’s Luke McCormick

• mart77 said:
    Bristol Rovers fans believe we are in for AFC Wimbledon’s Luke McCormick

• Sponsored links:

• McCormick is a good young player that I’d be happy for us to sign. But he’s another midfielder so I can’t see it happening without multiple outgoings.
  • That’s come from what was said on Gas Chat which came from the AFC Wimbledon end apparently
  • Bristol rovers fans have just looked at the nearest team to AFC Wimbledon who are slightly better and landed on us.  Surely we are not signing another midfielder.  
  • Blucher said:
    Reading are under a transfer embargo, Blackpool have already returned the player and I can’t see Hibs forking out a substantial transfer fee. I hope I’m wrong, but if Kirk leaves, I suspect it will be on loan to free up some wages.
    I think Hibbs are more interested in getting Boyle back, but that has complications. Not least that he has been receiving a huge tax free salary. If he comes back that will be taxable. No doubt he will be wanting someone other than him to be paying it!

McGeady is out for a while so they do need someone and Kirk is apparently the back up choice.

For those who may have missed it, Hibbs manager is a certain Lee Johnson.
    I will say no more.
  • Chunes said:

Scoring goals is a percentage thing from chances created.

Although if you don't create chances, you ain't going to score many goals.

• Redrobo said:
    Blucher said:
    Reading are under a transfer embargo, Blackpool have already returned the player and I can’t see Hibs forking out a substantial transfer fee. I hope I’m wrong, but if Kirk leaves, I suspect it will be on loan to free up some wages.
    I think Hibbs are more interested in getting Boyle back, but that has complications. Not least that he has been receiving a huge tax free salary. If he comes back that will be taxable. No doubt he will be wanting someone other than him to be paying it!

McGeady is out for a while so they do need someone and Kirk is apparently the back up choice.

I will say no more.
    They won't be coming in for Dobson then!
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Blucher said:

I will say no more.
    Agreed. To be honest the best player to replace McGeady would be JFC.
  • 'Muppet' no less.
  • Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Blucher said:

I will say no more.
    Agreed. To be honest the best player to replace McGeady would be JFC.
    You would replace a winger with a CM? 
  • Matthew Bondswell, left back from Newcastle should be one we are looking at. Has played in a few pre-seasons games and linked to FGR.