Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Dazzler21 said:
    So I think we have the following contracted as first team players for the season: 

Goalkeepers
    31Nathan HarnessGK
    13Craig MacGillivrayGK
    1Joe WollacottGK
    Defenders
    28Sean ClareRB/RWB/CM/CB/ RM?
    ?Mandela EgboRB
    24Ryan InnissCB
    5Sam LavelleCB
    6Eoghan O'ConnellCB
    2Steven SessegnonRB/LB
    Midfielders
    23Corey Blackett-TaylorLW
    4George DobsonCDM
    8Jake Forster-CaskeyCDM
    21Scott FraserCAM
    11Alex GilbeyCM/CAM
    7Diallang JaiyesimiRW
    14Charlie KirkLW
    12Conor McGrandlesCM
    10Albie MorganCM/CAM
    19Jack PayneCAM
    Forwards
    22Chuks Aneke
    CF/SS (Super Sub not 2nd Striker)
    33Miles LeaburnCF
    9Jayden StockleyCF

To me this points to a need for:

A dynamic forward

with pace and technical ability (What Chuks was meant to be) instead of the super sub, injury prone big lump he has become. They don't need to be 10 ft tall. 

A proper left back 
    maybe a young one on loan or an out of favour player, to be back up & competition for Sessegnon who starred as the primary there against Accrington. Clayden isn't it and I don't know if any of the other younger players are yet. 

A Right Wing option to challenge DJ 
    we have Kirk and CBT on the left (with Clayden an option too) and DJ on the right. Personally think there's potential for any decent dribbler/crosser to play there as cover, but we need a proper intentional option. 

We also are going to want other players, but I think the above three are the critical ones that we need to get right. I'd say the forward is probably the most important on the list. 
    Egbo has played right wing and was apparently very good.
  • Redrobo said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    So I think we have the following contracted as first team players for the season: 

Goalkeepers
    31Nathan HarnessGK
    13Craig MacGillivrayGK
    1Joe WollacottGK
    Defenders
    ?Mandela EgboRB
    24Ryan InnissCB
    5Sam LavelleCB
    6Eoghan O'ConnellCB
    2Steven SessegnonRB/LB
    Midfielders
    4George DobsonCDM
    8Jake Forster-CaskeyCDM
    21Scott FraserCAM
    11Alex GilbeyCM/CAM
    7Diallang JaiyesimiRW
    14Charlie KirkLW
    12Conor McGrandlesCM
    10Albie MorganCM/CAM
    19Jack PayneCAM
    Forwards
    22Chuks Aneke
    33Miles LeaburnCF
    9Jayden StockleyCF

A dynamic forward

with pace and technical ability (What Chuks was meant to be) instead of the super sub, injury prone big lump he has become. They don't need to be 10 ft tall. 

A proper left back 
    maybe a young one on loan or an out of favour player, to be back up & competition for Sessegnon who starred as the primary there against Accrington. Clayden isn't it and I don't know if any of the other younger players are yet. 

we have Kirk and CBT on the left (with Clayden an option too) and DJ on the right. Personally think there's potential for any decent dribbler/crosser to play there as cover, but we need a proper intentional option. 

We also are going to want other players, but I think the above three are the critical ones that we need to get right. I'd say the forward is probably the most important on the list. 
    Yeah but that means we're again shoehorning Clare in as a RB. 
  • Dazzler21 said:

Goalkeepers
    31Nathan HarnessGK
    13Craig MacGillivrayGK
    1Joe WollacottGK
    Defenders
    ?Mandela EgboRB
    24Ryan InnissCB
    5Sam LavelleCB
    6Eoghan O'ConnellCB
    2Steven SessegnonRB/LB
    Midfielders
    4George DobsonCDM
    8Jake Forster-CaskeyCDM
    21Scott FraserCAM
    11Alex GilbeyCM/CAM
    7Diallang JaiyesimiRW
    14Charlie KirkLW
    12Conor McGrandlesCM
    10Albie MorganCM/CAM
    19Jack PayneCAM
    Forwards
    22Chuks Aneke
    33Miles LeaburnCF
    9Jayden StockleyCF

A dynamic forward

A proper left back 

The Palace kid is presumably seen as the right wing option given our interest is (or was) confirmed, so I would say that at least we know that the SMT agree with.

I'd be inclined to agree with both of those others too, though it does look increasingly like loans will be utilised there.

If the budget allows I'd not be opposed to seeing another CB as well given Iniss inevitably due an injury soon, but it's not as pressing.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Goalkeepers
    31Nathan HarnessGK
    13Craig MacGillivrayGK
    1Joe WollacottGK
    Defenders
    ?Mandela EgboRB
    24Ryan InnissCB
    5Sam LavelleCB
    6Eoghan O'ConnellCB
    2Steven SessegnonRB/LB
    Midfielders
    4George DobsonCDM
    8Jake Forster-CaskeyCDM
    21Scott FraserCAM
    11Alex GilbeyCM/CAM
    7Diallang JaiyesimiRW
    14Charlie KirkLW
    12Conor McGrandlesCM
    10Albie MorganCM/CAM
    19Jack PayneCAM
    Forwards
    22Chuks Aneke
    33Miles LeaburnCF
    9Jayden StockleyCF

A dynamic forward

A proper left back 

I think the two we’re after will be a CB (perhaps one who can cover LB) and a winger (JRS?). With Deji out on loan that makes Ness 4th choice and with Inniss as one of the 3 he’ll get game time.

Garner said 2 or 3 so that’ll either be a LB or striker. With Stockley as captain if a striker come in it may be one who can also play out wide, otherwise we can’t guarantee enough game time.

Some of this may also depend on who we can move on. JFC or Gilbey is expected but I wouldn’t be surprised if DJ or Kirk go too.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Redrobo said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Goalkeepers
    31Nathan HarnessGK
    13Craig MacGillivrayGK
    1Joe WollacottGK
    Defenders
    ?Mandela EgboRB
    24Ryan InnissCB
    5Sam LavelleCB
    6Eoghan O'ConnellCB
    2Steven SessegnonRB/LB
    Midfielders
    4George DobsonCDM
    8Jake Forster-CaskeyCDM
    21Scott FraserCAM
    11Alex GilbeyCM/CAM
    7Diallang JaiyesimiRW
    14Charlie KirkLW
    12Conor McGrandlesCM
    10Albie MorganCM/CAM
    19Jack PayneCAM
    Forwards
    22Chuks Aneke
    33Miles LeaburnCF
    9Jayden StockleyCF

A dynamic forward

A proper left back 

I think he is the better full back, but it is all about options when you start to need cover.
  • Scoham said:
    I warned you all its school holidays. Ignore everything you see on Twitter unless it’s from the OS.
    Just waiting for ‘@marksprin’ to post it up on his Twitter as fact now. 
    He already has

Seems more likely that he fell out with Barton if its true as Joey has a tendency to rub people up the wrong way....or punch them.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Almost all the players we have had in the last 2 years, to me come under the definition of;

"You won't get promoted if x is your y, but x being your y doesn't mean you can't get promoted".

I think if you look at Bowyer's squad, and to a lesser extent Powell's, Curbs play off team as well, you probably had 10ish players like that.  If not more.

They all had "not good enough for a promotion team" players as well.

What we really lack is players that "if you have him in the side you have a chance".
    We need 5 of them.  Until we get them we are going no where.

I said at the end of the 20/21 season we need to replace out 5 worst with 5 "best" players.  I don't think we have 5 "worst" any more, but I don't think we have 5 "best" either.

I think that's spot on. I think it's the general excessively online culture the world has developed that brings with it a potential negative in anything. We're all probably thinking about it too much and having too much of an opportunity to talk about it. Every time we make a signing there's a negative post with a criticism - often justifiable - and that sparks a debate. It's inevitable now. I think about the positivity there was with the Powell squad taking shape and how it would probably be lookd at now with the increase in data knowledge and the ability to go on another team's forum and find the posters who never liked that player and absorb their negative opinion. Look at that Powell squad
    Hamer - unwanted by a second division club, 28 L1 appearances across two loan clubs. Morrison - run out of town by Sheff Weds. Taylor - Jut one L1 season, why hasn't he played higher? Hughes - unwanted by a L1 club, old. Stephens - coming off a big injury, perfect for us etc. Hollands - free players? Where's all the Jenkinson money, pay a fee Slater. Green - L1 relegation player. Pritchard - non-league player, Pardew all over again. Yann - well to be fair the Yann signing got a fair bit of flak at the time. Of all our signings that season I'd say Wiggins was the only one where you couldn't possibly find a fault and it was very exciting. It felt like there was less of that at the time because I think we were all just less terminally online, and that allowed us to wait to see what the players had to offer rather than panicking about where they came from. A lot of those signings were game-changers for us though. We'll have to see if the new signings are. If O'Connell shores up our defence, Sessegnon offers defensive strength and progressive play, Payne creates and scores, Fraser rediscovers his form in a new system and CBT benefits from playing higher up then we might be looking very good. I think we're still a goal-scoring gem on the wing away from being a real promotion threat but we've got players in the squad who could be more than the sum of their parts if the system works. One of the problems we've had the past few years is Bowyer's style was all about the mentality of his players, and then Adkins and Jackson were more hand-wavy let's try and do some goals in their style. A good system well drilled and implemented can bring more out of the players you have than having 11 superstars on the pitch, especially at a lower level.
  • As things are, there is no chance that we will make top two. We are three players short of a play off push. I really, really want to be wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    Redrobo said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Goalkeepers

31Nathan HarnessGK
    13Craig MacGillivrayGK
    1Joe WollacottGK
    Defenders

?Mandela EgboRB
    24Ryan InnissCB
    5Sam LavelleCB
    6Eoghan O'ConnellCB
    2Steven SessegnonRB/LB
    Midfielders

4George DobsonCDM
    8Jake Forster-CaskeyCDM
    21Scott FraserCAM
    11Alex GilbeyCM/CAM
    7Diallang JaiyesimiRW
    14Charlie KirkLW
    12Conor McGrandlesCM
    10Albie MorganCM/CAM
    19Jack PayneCAM
    Forwards

22Chuks Aneke
    33Miles LeaburnCF
    9Jayden StockleyCF

A dynamic forward

A proper left back 

I think Clare just is a RB at this point. He's never looked right in central midfield, I think there was one game where he looked fairly decent but I've not been convinced. At CB he was passable in a 3 bringing the ball out but his positional awareness wasn't good enough and his weaknesses were exposed by walkabout RWBs. RB seems to suit him though; able to get forward and offer his physicality and pace to an attack, strong enough in one on one situations to stand up to his winger. If he can develop his communication with Inniss/Lavelle then he could offer a lot on the right side of our defence.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Almost all the players we have had in the last 2 years, to me come under the definition of;

"You won't get promoted if x is your y, but x being your y doesn't mean you can't get promoted".

I think if you look at Bowyer's squad, and to a lesser extent Powell's, Curbs play off team as well, you probably had 10ish players like that.  If not more.

What we really lack is players that "if you have him in the side you have a chance".

I said at the end of the 20/21 season we need to replace out 5 worst with 5 "best" players.  I don't think we have 5 "worst" any more, but I don't think we have 5 "best" either.

I think that's spot on. I think it's the general excessively online culture the world has developed that brings with it a potential negative in anything. We're all probably thinking about it too much and having too much of an opportunity to talk about it. Every time we make a signing there's a negative post with a criticism - often justifiable - and that sparks a debate. It's inevitable now. I think about the positivity there was with the Powell squad taking shape and how it would probably be lookd at now with the increase in data knowledge and the ability to go on another team's forum and find the posters who never liked that player and absorb their negative opinion. Look at that Powell squad
    Hamer - unwanted by a second division club, 28 L1 appearances across two loan clubs. Morrison - run out of town by Sheff Weds. Taylor - Jut one L1 season, why hasn't he played higher? Hughes - unwanted by a L1 club, old. Stephens - coming off a big injury, perfect for us etc. Hollands - free players? Where's all the Jenkinson money, pay a fee Slater. Green - L1 relegation player. Pritchard - non-league player, Pardew all over again. Yann - well to be fair the Yann signing got a fair bit of flak at the time. Of all our signings that season I'd say Wiggins was the only one where you couldn't possibly find a fault and it was very exciting. It felt like there was less of that at the time because I think we were all just less terminally online, and that allowed us to wait to see what the players had to offer rather than panicking about where they came from. A lot of those signings were game-changers for us though. We'll have to see if the new signings are. If O'Connell shores up our defence, Sessegnon offers defensive strength and progressive play, Payne creates and scores, Fraser rediscovers his form in a new system and CBT benefits from playing higher up then we might be looking very good. I think we're still a goal-scoring gem on the wing away from being a real promotion threat but we've got players in the squad who could be more than the sum of their parts if the system works. One of the problems we've had the past few years is Bowyer's style was all about the mentality of his players, and then Adkins and Jackson were more hand-wavy let's try and do some goals in their style. A good system well drilled and implemented can bring more out of the players you have than having 11 superstars on the pitch, especially at a lower level.
    No comparison at all

That summer Powell went and brought players in who had done the business in L1 the season before (many from clubs who had finished higher than us) or even who had been in the Championship. And we paid fees for 3 players (Green, Stephens and Wiggins) all of which had done the business in L1. 

This season we've brought in McGrandles (a modern equivalent to Hollands as a decent L1 midfielder available on a free), a decent Fulham loanee and 4 players who looked good last season in L2

Yes there's some excessive negativity around. But surely blind optimism is just as questionable, when not supported by evidence both in terms of who we've signed, but also who our opposition have in their sides.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Redrobo said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Goalkeepers
    31Nathan HarnessGK
    13Craig MacGillivrayGK
    1Joe WollacottGK
    Defenders
    ?Mandela EgboRB
    24Ryan InnissCB
    5Sam LavelleCB
    6Eoghan O'ConnellCB
    2Steven SessegnonRB/LB
    Midfielders
    4George DobsonCDM
    8Jake Forster-CaskeyCDM
    21Scott FraserCAM
    11Alex GilbeyCM/CAM
    7Diallang JaiyesimiRW
    14Charlie KirkLW
    12Conor McGrandlesCM
    10Albie MorganCM/CAM
    19Jack PayneCAM
    Forwards
    22Chuks Aneke
    33Miles LeaburnCF
    9Jayden StockleyCF

A dynamic forward

A proper left back 

Probably because he is the best right back at the club.  The sooner people accept that the better.  It sounds like the penny has dropped with him.
  • edited August 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Redrobo said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Goalkeepers
    31Nathan HarnessGK
    13Craig MacGillivrayGK
    1Joe WollacottGK
    Defenders
    ?Mandela EgboRB
    24Ryan InnissCB
    5Sam LavelleCB
    6Eoghan O'ConnellCB
    2Steven SessegnonRB/LB
    Midfielders
    4George DobsonCDM
    8Jake Forster-CaskeyCDM
    21Scott FraserCAM
    11Alex GilbeyCM/CAM
    7Diallang JaiyesimiRW
    14Charlie KirkLW
    12Conor McGrandlesCM
    10Albie MorganCM/CAM
    19Jack PayneCAM
    Forwards
    22Chuks Aneke
    33Miles LeaburnCF
    9Jayden StockleyCF

A dynamic forward

A proper left back 

Probably because he is the best right back at the club.  The sooner people accept that the better.  It sounds like the penny has dropped with him.
    He's not a bad Centre-Back either...

Left-Back can get forward on occasion, and we can pretty much change to three CBs until he's back in position.
  • Obviously the striker requirement is key, think most agree with that.

However after Saturday I’m fairly concerned defensively.  I know it’s only the first game, and you can read into stats too much, but the expected goals data said the game should have ended 3-1.  And we did let them have an absurd amount of shots (albeit majority off target).

However after Saturday I’m fairly concerned defensively.  I know it’s only the first game, and you can read into stats too much, but the expected goals data said the game should have ended 3-1.  And we did let them have an absurd amount of shots (albeit majority off target).
    It’s a funny thing how stats are so heavily relied upon,and yet so often don’t correspond to the actual results. So yes I’d say most definitely stats are read into too much, they never allow for the human aspect of things, which is why we keep watching the stupid game and why we are never 100% correct all the time.

Defence is my big concern too. Inniss is great at getting on the end of stuff but he’s easily turned when players run him. I’m still to be convinced by O’Connell. Yes I know it’s one game but I was disappointed. Thought he was dragged out of position too often and didn’t get close enough to support Sessegnon. I’d say he had a say in both Accrington’s goals. No concerns with either full back but we really need O’Connell to come through. I’m hoping McGrandles will offer midfield protection for the back four because Accrington found it far too easy to get shots off on Saturday. 
  • paulfox said:
    Obviously the striker requirement is key, think most agree with that.

It’s a funny thing how stats are so heavily relied upon,and yet so often don’t correspond to the actual results. So yes I’d say most definitely stats are read into too much, they never allow for the human aspect of things, which is why we keep watching the stupid game and why we are never 100% correct all the time.
    Nobody is saying that stats are more important than the actual result, but they do give a useful picture of how the game went, and how you're playing.

If you win 1-0 after having just 1 shot on target when the opposition have had 15 (hitting the woodwork twice, and with 2 decent penalty shouts turned down), it shows that while you have the 3 points for that game, you're not actually playing that well, and are unlikely to win many more games playing like that.
  • Sponsored links:

• paulfox said:

In this instance the human aspect (those that attended) did mention that we look likely to concede often.  Meaning we could be on the end of a severe hiding at some point.  
  • Need to greatly improve on last week both defensively and offensively. Play like that against Derby we will lose.
  • Xg is the most useless stat in football 
    Why?  It’s an indication that on another day we could have got spanked, so perhaps we could use this let off to tighten up.

Why the desperate need to ignore all the modern information technology at our disposal now.  
  • Cafc43v3r said:

No comparison at all

That summer Powell went and brought players in who had done the business in L1 the season before (many from clubs who had finished higher than us) or even who had been in the Championship. And we paid fees for 3 players (Green, Stephens and Wiggins) all of which had done the business in L1. 

This season we've brought in McGrandles (a modern equivalent to Hollands as a decent L1 midfielder available on a free), a decent Fulham loanee and 4 players who looked good last season in L2

Yes there's some excessive negativity around. But surely blind optimism is just as questionable, when not supported by evidence both in terms of who we've signed, but also who our opposition have in their sides.
    Not the point I was making at all though. What I was saying is that you will always have criticisms of players when they sign, particularly now, and there would have been more criticism and pressure loaded onto our 11/12 signings if we were making those equivalent signings today. If we're going into what you said though, I wouldn't say Dale Stephens had done the business in L1, he'd played two seasons there, part of one where he took in a L2 loan. O'Connell on the other hand often gets lumped in with these L2 player lists but has four seasons of L1 experience, he just stayed with his club in L2 last season ostensibly because of his relationship with the manager. Jack Payne has 6 seasons' L1 experience as well as one Championship season where he played 23 times for a team that won promotion to the Premier League, and one recent season in L2 after he went down in the Swindon sinking ship that couldn't have been saved by Leo Messi let alone Scott Twine. Joe Wollacott has 10 caps for Ghana and is about the age Ben Hamer was when he signed for us, about the age a keeper really starts to assert himself as a potential number one. These aren't just a bunch of L2 hopefuls, they're signings where we've capitalised on players who did well after going down a level lower than they probably should have whose contracts have expired. See, you can play the positive/negative game on any player but it's always reductive. There's not blind optimism, the negativity doesn't even have to be excessive, the point is that we don't need each player to be a world beater or need them to look like gods on paper, we need to construct a squad with some sprinklings of real quality that plays a way that brings the best out of everyone on the pitch. Players like Kish, Jon Fortune, Graeme Stuart and Hermann probably shouldn't have finished 7 points off the Champions league places but with a bit of quality from Di Canio, Jensen and [redacted] as well as graft from the rest in an organised system they were more than the sum of their parts. We can always find flaws in our incoming players, especially at this level, but we don't need to compare them to other teams and trawl through their histories, we need them to be suited to us in the system we're playing in order to move forward.
  • paulfox said:

Nobody is saying that stats are more important than the actual result, but they do give a useful picture of how the game went, and how you're playing.

If you win 1-0 after having just 1 shot on target when the opposition have had 15 (hitting the woodwork twice, and with 2 decent penalty shouts turned down), it shows that while you have the 3 points for that game, you're not actually playing that well, and are unlikely to win many more games playing like that.
    Ok fine, I wasn’t having an argument, it was an observation. I didn’t suggest anyone said anything.
  • paulfox said:

All of which we should be hoping our manager sees with his own eyes and not require stats, there are a lot of could or might haves, I’ve see. Many games that we should have won/ lost and the opposite has happened. 
  • For interest, I've heard that bishop went to Portsmouth for £500k
  • paulfox said:

In this instance the human aspect (those that attended) did mention that we look likely to concede often.  Meaning we could be on the end of a severe hiding at some point.  
    I was eluding to decisions by humans on the pitch, refereeing decisions, players, managers , coaches etc. any team can be on the end of a hiding/ thumping win on any day, that’s football.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

No comparison at all

Not the point I was making at all though. What I was saying is that you will always have criticisms of players when they sign, particularly now, and there would have been more criticism and pressure loaded onto our 11/12 signings if we were making those equivalent signings today. If we're going into what you said though, I wouldn't say Dale Stephens had done the business in L1, he'd played two seasons there, part of one where he took in a L2 loan. O'Connell on the other hand often gets lumped in with these L2 player lists but has four seasons of L1 experience, he just stayed with his club in L2 last season ostensibly because of his relationship with the manager. Jack Payne has 6 seasons' L1 experience as well as one Championship season where he played 23 times for a team that won promotion to the Premier League, and one recent season in L2 after he went down in the Swindon sinking ship that couldn't have been saved by Leo Messi let alone Scott Twine. Joe Wollacott has 10 caps for Ghana and is about the age Ben Hamer was when he signed for us, about the age a keeper really starts to assert himself as a potential number one. These aren't just a bunch of L2 hopefuls, they're signings where we've capitalised on players who did well after going down a level lower than they probably should have whose contracts have expired. See, you can play the positive/negative game on any player but it's always reductive. There's not blind optimism, the negativity doesn't even have to be excessive, the point is that we don't need each player to be a world beater or need them to look like gods on paper, we need to construct a squad with some sprinklings of real quality that plays a way that brings the best out of everyone on the pitch. Players like Kish, Jon Fortune, Graeme Stuart and Hermann probably shouldn't have finished 7 points off the Champions league places but with a bit of quality from Di Canio, Jensen and [redacted] as well as graft from the rest in an organised system they were more than the sum of their parts. We can always find flaws in our incoming players, especially at this level, but we don't need to compare them to other teams and trawl through their histories, we need them to be suited to us in the system we're playing in order to move forward.
    Hmm. I'd say Powell recruited with an eye on a squad capable of winning promotion to the Championship and staying there. Not sure the same could be said of this season's, notwithstanding we have one fit striker and a comedy back line yet again.

Sooner Innis is out of the first XI and Lavelle or Clare are in at centre half the better. The latter continues to impress me with his pace and reading of the game, and pace is a luxury we have nowhere else at centre half.