Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Almost all the players we have had in the last 2 years, to me come under the definition of;

"You won't get promoted if x is your y, but x being your y doesn't mean you can't get promoted".

I think if you look at Bowyer's squad, and to a lesser extent Powell's, Curbs play off team as well, you probably had 10ish players like that.  If not more.

They all had "not good enough for a promotion team" players as well.

What we really lack is players that "if you have him in the side you have a chance".
    We need 5 of them.  Until we get them we are going no where.

I said at the end of the 20/21 season we need to replace out 5 worst with 5 "best" players.  I don't think we have 5 "worst" any more, but I don't think we have 5 "best" either.

We didn't know who our best 5 were after the first game in 11/12 or 18/19, the question is more do we potentially have those players. We probably don't but we know we're after two or three more signings.
  • Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Almost all the players we have had in the last 2 years, to me come under the definition of;

"You won't get promoted if x is your y, but x being your y doesn't mean you can't get promoted".

I think if you look at Bowyer's squad, and to a lesser extent Powell's, Curbs play off team as well, you probably had 10ish players like that.  If not more.

What we really lack is players that "if you have him in the side you have a chance".

I said at the end of the 20/21 season we need to replace out 5 worst with 5 "best" players.  I don't think we have 5 "worst" any more, but I don't think we have 5 "best" either.

We didn't know who our best 5 were after the first game in 11/12 or 18/19, the question is more do we potentially have those players. We probably don't but we know we're after two or three more signings.
    Or after few more games
  • Laddick01 said:
    You cannot judge a transfer window until it ends.

We do need to sign a few more, but the negativity is so boring. 
    I believe the expression is let's hit the ground running. 
    By the end of August we will be playing catch up.
    Learning from our mistakes my bollox.
    I sat an exam once having done no preparation for it. I took my golf clubs in the boot of my car knowing I had no chance, left early and played a round. I failed.

Sat it again the following year having studied really hard and prepared thoroughly, but screwed up on the day and failed again.

I believe I did learn from my mistakes the first time round despite getting the same end result.

Let me ask you this  Would you argue that I didn't?  
  • ross1 said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Or after few more games
    Yep, easy to forget the likes of Aribo and Bielik improved as the season went on.
  • Southbank said:
    I'd also argue we have hit the ground running in terms of the Transfer Market and ahead of the season.

Looking at the team, the back five are done and dusted, its frustrating Egbo is injured but cant be helped, and ideally we need another Left-Back... But we do have Sessegnon, and just have to hope, and expect him not to get injured between now and September, unless of course the plan is for Clayden to be his backup.

Midfield | Striker | Wingers... We probably had our first choice against Accrington, with DJ / Kirk the only debatable position, which I imagine will be decided once Rak-Sakyi or someone else joins - I'm confident we wont get another Striker to replace Stockley, partly because he's just been named captain, and no proven Striker will join at this stage, knowing that they wont be first choice, the moment they walk through the door... Hence why its probably another U21 striker we're waiting for a Premier League side to make a decision on.

The question is now... Is the squad we have, good enough to mount a challenge on the top six, or at least make a continued upwards improvement on 13th last season, because we sure as hell dont want to go backwards.

No doubt people will claim that it cant happen, but this is a Division where sides can be promotion challengers one year, and then go back to being a classic mid-table side the next - Final chance for many to prove last season, was nothing more than a blip.
    So, you are saying our back 4 is sorted except we don't have 2 fit and  proper full backs. Our midfield is sorted except they got overrun on Saturday and our front 3 is a s***show.

Seems about right.
    I think Clare and Sessegnon will be the first choice Full-Backs
  • When does the window slam shut this year ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:

It's not scientific, but I don't look at our squad and think "wow that's a cracking signing" or "how did you get him to join/stay at a L1 club". Decent players yes, but none that really stand out. Especially when we are starting from a lower base than Bowyer did in the summer of 2018. 

I suspect that most outsiders feel that way too, judging that the pundits and bookies all seem to be tipping us for mid table mediocrity at the moment. 

https://www.bettingodds.com/news/league-1-winner-odds-22-23
  • Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Indeed but, ingoring the keeper, most of the team on Saturday were here last season.

It could be as simple as 2 or 3 more quality players, a cheeky loan or two in January and a youth player, or two, push on.  That's probably an accurate like for like to 18/19.
  • When does the window slam shut this year ?
    1st September @ 11pm
  • Cafc43v3r said:

It's not scientific, but I don't look at our squad and think "wow that's a cracking signing" or "how did you get him to join/stay at a L1 club". Decent players yes, but none that really stand out. Especially when we are starting from a lower base than Bowyer did in the summer of 2018. 

I suspect that most outsiders feel that way too, judging that the pundits and bookies all seem to be tipping us for mid table mediocrity at the moment. 

We're in much better shape than we were this time last season and the bookies tipped us for the playoffs so what do they know.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

I think the 18/19 squad is such a hard one to bench mark to.  It was 1 or 2 squad players short of getting autos.  That 1st eleven would have given Powell's team a run for their money.

The 17/18 and 20/21 squads are much more similar to where we are at now.  Personally I think they were both marginally better.  Ironically I think the 20/21 was the better of the two.
  • Laddick01 said:

Why does an alternative view have to be classed as negative and boring. 

This is a message board and multiple people have multiple views 
    I would argue that those of us who aren’t convinced need to see it to believe it as well.  Hopefully that will come over time, but unless we’re hearing about real quality players coming to us, which of course is unlikely, then as much as we want/hope the new players to do well, it’s hard to get excited.  

If people are negative then I can understand it to be honest 
  • sam3110 said:
    RedRobin said:

They're worried if they don't tie him down before he comes and plays for us, his head will be turned by the (slightly more) normal looking fans in the stands, and the fact he's not having to play in a Sainsbury's car park every other week. Plus we're still the only club in SE London to win the FA Cup, and are therefore still the only relevant team in SE London 
    Very true. I know this response was sent in jest, but some things should be not be joked about. Imagine being a 19 year-old lad having to ply your trade in front of 1000's of the worst deviants imaginable - he must feel like Jodie Foster visiting Hannibal Lecter in that maximum security prison.
  • Laddick01 said:

Why does an alternative view have to be classed as negative and boring. 

This is a message board and multiple people have multiple views 
    Try, "The same few people always have negative views".
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I think the 18/19 squad is such a hard one to bench mark to.  It was 1 or 2 squad players short of getting autos.  That 1st eleven would have given Powell's team a run for their money.

The 17/18 and 20/21 squads are much more similar to where we are at now.  Personally I think they were both marginally better.  Ironically I think the 20/21 was the better of the two.
    The 18/19 squad had Taylor & Grant and although Grant left half way through the season Taylor still had enough about himself to carry the threat upfront alone (as Parker was a non-entity)

Stockley is not in his class. Aneke will be here all season but play less game time than grant did.
  • I know and start the first game of the season but a few of there fans and Bristol Rove's podcast are saying today has been released.
  • Danthered said:
    Wiki says he just signed a new 2 year deal with BR in June.

Also got injured on his debuts with both Rotherham & BR. Then got a red card for head butting an opponent on his return from injury.

Sounds just like our type of player. 

Oh....and he's 5ft 5. 

Never heard of him but yeah he's not played more than 9 league games in a season over the last 3 seasons.
  • If Peterborough hold on to their players they are going to piss the league…after that it’s anyone’s 
  • We need a Clarke Harris type of player up front otherwise forget our chances of getting promoted - either that our some massive prem player loans