Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• edited August 2022
    We are already light on wingers. Letting one go now is madness imo 
    Not if it generates funds for McKirdy.
    The amount of people that seem to think Mckirdy would be our best ever signing. 

He’s 25 and was released on a free by port vale 12 months ago. Yes he had a good season last year for Swindon but I imagine a lot of those clamouring for him have never seen him play or at least not more than once.

Same goes for Stockton.
    A millwall fan I was chatting to yesterday said mckirdy was signing for them today 
  • DOUCHER said:

He’s 25 and was released on a free by port vale 12 months ago. Yes he had a good season last year for Swindon but I imagine a lot of those clamouring for him have never seen him play or at least not more than once.

Same goes for Stockton.
    A millwall fan I was chatting to yesterday said mckirdy was signing for them today 
    Cawley appeared to rule it out
  • DOUCHER said:

Same goes for Stockton.
    Cawley appeared to rule it out
    Yes I know, just reporting what this fella said - he seemed pretty sure 
  • NabySarr said:
    I guess my question is do really need to sell either of them given how thin we are at the position.  If financial fair play (or whatever acronym league one uses for salary limits) or a budgetary limit set by TS requires us to sell one to get one in, then it is a fair debate.  I get nervous when we only have three wide players in a 433 and CBT has historically had some hamstring issues.
    Yes, ideally we’d have the 3 we have now plus a new signing. But if we do lose Kirk we still have Leaburn, Kanu and Clayden. Plus Payne could be another option on the right which will help us fitting all our midfielders in the team. And Egbo can play further forward as well so we still have plenty of options 
    Plenty of options but not a single proper proven goslscorer amongst the lot of them.
  • Southbank said:
    NabySarr said:
    I guess my question is do really need to sell either of them given how thin we are at the position.  If financial fair play (or whatever acronym league one uses for salary limits) or a budgetary limit set by TS requires us to sell one to get one in, then it is a fair debate.  I get nervous when we only have three wide players in a 433 and CBT has historically had some hamstring issues.
    Yes, ideally we’d have the 3 we have now plus a new signing. But if we do lose Kirk we still have Leaburn, Kanu and Clayden. Plus Payne could be another option on the right which will help us fitting all our midfielders in the team. And Egbo can play further forward as well so we still have plenty of options 
    Plenty of options but not a single proper proven goslscorer amongst the lot of them.
    True which is why the new signing needs to add goals. I think Rak-Sakyi will do that if we get him but he’s obviously not proven. Payne has a decent record so should score a few, especially if he’s going to be on pens. I would like to keep Kirk though as I think he’s more likely to score than DJ 
  • Sponsored links:

• And here is Mckirdys career prior to last season.
  • Kirk will end up being like Morgan Fox and Dijksteel - mocked by the boo boys - but  play for far better teams than us in a higher league and earning more than our players. He like Fox and Dijksteel will look back and wet himself with laughter at us. 
    Who cares?
  • Kirk will end up being like Morgan Fox and Dijksteel - mocked by the boo boys - but  play for far better teams than us in a higher league and earning more than our players. He like Fox and Dijksteel will look back and wet himself with laughter at us. 
    Who are these 'boo boys' mocking Kirk? Fact of the matter is that he has yet to offer anything in a Charlton shirt. If he leaves and goes on to win the Champions League then good luck to the guy! Sometimes it just doesn't work out at a certain club.

Dijksteel was a very decent prospect, hence he moved on. A better example is Simon Francis who had a fantastic career despite being very poor at Charlton. It happens. 

As for Fox and Dijksteel looking back and wetting themselves with laughter, I suspect they would be more likely recognising the part that their time at Charlton played in them going on to have decent careers.

• Rothko said:
    Signing Stockton, will be like overpaying for the player who looked good in a poor team in the World Cup. One hot season isn’t worth a load of money. 
    Omar Pouso
  • I think with Kirk, there is clearly talent there and we undoubtedly haven’t seen his best yet. But if we can get, say, £500k for him, I do think that money can be invested better elsewhere as I don’t believe him to be that well suited to our current system. If that money can bring in a decent striker to fight with Jayden for the first XI then I think that would be worth doing.

As for DJ, there is no doubt his Charlton career hasn’t been good enough so far, but I think he is more suited to this system and showed on Saturday some of the talent he has.
  • Why would a Club pay us the amount we did for a player who hasn't settled/proven himself since his transfer to the club. 

There's an extra risk for them and they know they have the upper hand with negotiations.
  • Sponsored links:

• mendonca said:
    Why would a Club pay us the amount we did for a player who hasn't settled/proven himself since his transfer to the club. 

There's an extra risk for them and they know they have the upper hand with negotiations.
    Depends how much they want him, and if they rate him as highly as we did?
  • cfgs said:
    Rothko said:
    Signing Stockton, will be like overpaying for the player who looked good in a poor team in the World Cup. One hot season isn’t worth a load of money. 
    Omar Pouso
    Worth every penny
  • They will be judging him on his performances at Blackpool I am sure, rather than with us.
  • edited August 2022
    mendonca said:
    Why would a Club pay us the amount we did for a player who hasn't settled/proven himself since his transfer to the club. 

Quite clearly we would like to recoup our outlay of course we would, can't blame the club for at least trying, but hey, "You pays yer money and yer take yer chance" as the old saying goes, if another club sees what we can't see in a player, then cough up if you want to sign him.
    In the end, better to make a small loss if that transpires, than keep a player on high wages you ain't benefiting from..which will probably be what happens..
  • CafcSCP said:
    Major said:
    Kirk will end up being like Morgan Fox and Dijksteel - mocked by the boo boys - but  play for far better teams than us in a higher league and earning more than our players. He like Fox and Dijksteel will look back and wet himself with laughter at us. 
    Who cares?
    We should because  there are others booed to success by the moronic elements of this club.
    Not forgetting Francis who was booed out and had a fab career at Bournemouth 
    Yes but I didn't want to say that because I get rounded on when I do.

Or OXO tower who had a good career  at Brentford. 

Rounding on a player as with Gunter and Matthews etc causes worse performances.  Gunter played in the Euro finals out of position in a Wales side and looked far better. Why is that ?
    Because he would get paid by us regardless how bad he played? 
  • Diallang Jaiyesimi will be a leading contender for POTY this season.

You heard it here first.

Oxo Tower was probably my least favourite Charlton player of all time 

Anyway, back to the prolific transfer rumours.