Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Can't understand a football journalist going away on holiday at the start of the football season and during the transfer window. 
    Something to do with having kids, school holidays and working to live rather than the other way around I imagine.
    Laughing at the idea of Richard Cawley's marriage falling apart, as he dedicates himself to placating a random, middle-aged man off the internet's thirst for transfer rumours - at the expense of his home life.

"Come to bed Rich, I miss you"

"I can't - Golfie needs an update on the Tom Cannon deal. I can't let him down"
    I couldn't give a fig about rumours. I just think it's strange that a sports journalist who covers a lot of football goes on holiday just as the season starts & the transfer window is still open. 

If he has school aged children then fair enough, but even then the schools broke up a week before the season started. 

As I said, it dont bother me.....just think it's strange that's all.
  • sam3110 said:
    See I think Kirk should be starting over DJ based on what I saw pre season, and if we sign another player in that position, then again I'd probably let DJ leave over Kirk. However if Kirk is the one garnering interest, especially from championship clubs, then I think we cut our losses and sell him
    Agreed, was very shocked to see DJ starting over Kirk at the weekend but he may have been a bit lightweight for accy away. 
  • Deji Elerewe being loaned out for a minimum of 28 days is a weird one.
    The only upside is he'll probably get some game time when their season starts.  (Saturday's friendly was defensively dismal for Wealdstone)
    But he's young enough to not be included in the squad cap numbers nor does he earn very much and Wealdstone unlikely to be covering it all so the decision isn't financial un;ess the bean counter is a moron or we're actually broker than some keyboard worriers would have us believe.
    He can be loaned out on this sort of a 'callback anything after 28 days' deal up to the end of the window so why now when he might be needed?
    He's at least our 4th best centre half - after watching Innis and O'Connell on Saturday that's harsh on Deji
    This only begins to make sense if Charlton has a senior CH incoming this week.  No word of any such thing yet.
    Charlton is now one injury away from no options at CH and let's face it Innis has played 101 minutes this week so will break down imminently.  One harsh referee decision against Derby and we can be down to maximum one vaguely competent CH.
    This is rash.
    DE's capabilities and experience at CH are far greater than any cover or backup that we have for either full back slot.  In truth we currently have no experienced cover at all for either fullback.  This is cretinous.

Able but makeshift right back with no cover.
    Two dodgy CH's with one to cover, whom Garner clearly ranks 3rd of 3.
    Right back playing creditably at left back with enthusiastic but inexperienced youngster for cover.

Puts all the noise about striker shortage into stark perspective.

I'll wager 10:1 Charlton's next recruit will be a midfielder.  Dereliction of duty.
  • Uboat said:
    Any new players will have to cover their faces while they play. It will be like The Masked Footballer. Then when Rich gets back he will reveal who they are. 
    I have visions of Jonathan Ross guessing Harry Kane or Lewandowski, only for Simon Church to be revealed
    I miss Spongefoot - still the best nickname for a footballer.
    It’s good but is it better than One Size Fitz Hall or The Loch Ness Drogba?
  • MattF said:
    Will be hard for Reading as they are under an embargo! Likely Blackpool but for no less that what we paid. Agent talk! 
  • edited August 2022
    According to Nixon the hold up is Palace are negotiating a new contract with JRS. Won’t move until it’s done, makes sense. 
  • We have been told that there needs to be movement to accommodate squad bolstering so just a question of value on the table and how important player A vs player B is to our chances of success? I think Kirk could have a lot to offer, BUT,  not with just one pace merchant in the front three (CBT, to a lesser extent DJ). We need speed on both wings or on one wing and up front IMHO and so Kirk’s departure is viable for me, subject to getting in a pace merchant with some end product. Not easy this game is it. Wish I could get my hands on that black box for half a day 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• I would only sell if it’s a profit on what we paid for him, especially as Blackpool are probably in for him due to Forest going for Josh Bowler. So they will have money to spend if that deal happens. And only if some of that can then be reinvested in a replacement that will add goals. Still think Kirk is the most likely scorer out of him, CBT and DJ so I was expecting him to start on the left with CBT on the right this season 

• Would be disappointed if Kirk went. See way more potential in him than DJ. 
  • DJ looks a sub to me. Kirk is a better player but whether he fits us is another question. Maybe it is best to have a look at him.
  • 90% of people before pre-season were happy to move Kirk on for next to nothing this summer. 

If we can get back the money we spent for him it's a win. 
  • DJ looks a sub to me. Kirk is a better player but whether he fits us is another question. Maybe it is best to have a look at him.

Exactly, at least give Kirk a decent run in the side under Garner and let's see what's what. Wouldn't mind starting him Saturday. 
  • I've flipping edited it, happy now
  • edited August 2022
    Kirk won't work out at Charlton. Players like him end up a luxury here where we need each player to do two people's job because only half turn up!
  • Sponsored links:

• Rate DJ far more than Kirk.

Think he suits Garnerball far more too.

Plus there is interest in Kirk and possibly a fee so happy to him move on.

100% this, but imo neither are what we need. 
  • I don’t want  either Kirk or DJ starting.  I am fine with them as reserves but neither are good enough if you want to be a promotion winning side. Right now we have three wide forwards/wingers (CBT, Kirk and DJ).  Leaburn is a center forward who is playing out of position.  Given how thin we are out wide, do we really want to sell either until we are certain we have at least one and preferably two wide players coming in? CBT has been very good but given his style of play, he burns out after 45-60 minutes.  
  • RedRobin said:
    MattF said:
    Will be hard for Reading as they are under an embargo! Likely Blackpool but for no less that what we paid. Agent talk! 
    Yes maybe agent talk our end. Hurry up Blackpool, Reading and Hibs are interested now (and we need Kirk sold to buy Stockton 😉)
  • Leuth said:
    I've flipping edited it, happy now
    extatic !
  • Yep agree Id like to Mckirdy and the Palace lad coming in to replace DJ and Kirk as our wingers if we have any serious asperations of promotion :)
  • Leuth said:
    I've flipping edited it, happy now
    extatic !
    Not to bully, ECSTATIC😜😂👍