Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:
    SDAddick said:
    I'm not sure the worth of comparing our side with that on the opening day of last season, as everyone knows that our squad then was awful, hence we started the season in relegation form.

The question isn't whether we are comparatively better, which obviously we are, but whether we are good enough to be genuine promotion contenders.

Personally I think our squad is really unbalanced. When have 3 midfielders on the bench, and can still leave JFC out completely, never mind youngsters like Henry, there's something wrong. 
    Agreed, and it sounds like Gallen and Garner agree as both have talked about outgoings as well as incomings. I suspect at least one, maybe two of the central midfielders will leave. It'd be great if Henry could go to L2. I would personally much rather move Morgan on than JFC, but Garner doesn't seem to agree with me. I still feel like Morgan only does it in flashes.

I think we need another attacker, ideally two, and a left sided defender. Remember, the window doesn't close for another month. And a lot of Prem/Champ loan signings are done later in the window. So I'm not overly fussed. If on Sept 2 we haven't signed attack or defensive cover, then I'll worry. But right now I think we have the foundations and system for a promotion push. 
    JFC is by no means a guaranteed 1st team player but he won't play for the next few weeks.  Not because Garner doesn't like him. 
    Why's that then?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    SDAddick said:
    I'm not sure the worth of comparing our side with that on the opening day of last season, as everyone knows that our squad then was awful, hence we started the season in relegation form.

The question isn't whether we are comparatively better, which obviously we are, but whether we are good enough to be genuine promotion contenders.

Personally I think our squad is really unbalanced. When have 3 midfielders on the bench, and can still leave JFC out completely, never mind youngsters like Henry, there's something wrong. 
    Agreed, and it sounds like Gallen and Garner agree as both have talked about outgoings as well as incomings. I suspect at least one, maybe two of the central midfielders will leave. It'd be great if Henry could go to L2. I would personally much rather move Morgan on than JFC, but Garner doesn't seem to agree with me. I still feel like Morgan only does it in flashes.

I think we need another attacker, ideally two, and a left sided defender. Remember, the window doesn't close for another month. And a lot of Prem/Champ loan signings are done later in the window. So I'm not overly fussed. If on Sept 2 we haven't signed attack or defensive cover, then I'll worry. But right now I think we have the foundations and system for a promotion push. 
    JFC is by no means a guaranteed 1st team player but he won't play for the next few weeks.  Not because Garner doesn't like him. 
    Why's that then?
    Injured?
  • He’s up for sale.
  • WSS said:
    He’s up for sale.
    He isn't.  It's really complicated.  The best solution maybe that he leaves but that isn't the outcome anyone wanted.

He isn't involved now because he is the most likely to leave, that doesn't mean he is the one Garner would most like to leave.

He isn't "up for sale" and hasn't been transfer listed. 

He won't be going to Gillingham or Wimbledon if he leaves. 
  • JFC is expendable because we are stuffed with midfielders. We don't need seven senior midfielders to cover 3 positions.
  • edited July 2022
    Basically no-one wants JFC to leave, but at the same time he's expensive and not an automatic first choice, and we're stacked in midfield so logically if anyone's going to move on it's him
  • Wow, really surprised with the timing of the Elewere move, especially as we can't recall him for the first 28 days. It was interesting though in one of the pre season matches, where he played RB and Ness played in the middle, so clearly Garner wanted to see how Ness coped there.

Wealdstone is a decent club. With the NL being so strong, and the lack of transfer window rules, it makes sense to loan players there. 
    I’m not, he isn’t the ready yet, obviously…
  • edited July 2022
    Gutted to concede last minute. I’m at a wedding overseas atm, I saw it flash up in my phone that we’d scored and was buzzing only to then check again to see 2-2, some things never change! 

I saw the opening half and thought we looked good, Frasers goal was very good and can see goals like that being more frequent for us. If someone offered me the point before the game, I’d of taken it, still early days so we move on and with two or three more additions, I think we will have a good season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• JFC is expendable because we are stuffed with midfielders. We don't need seven senior midfielders to cover 3 positions.
    Exactly this.
    Plus if his leaving means we can bring in a striker or a left sided defender it will strengthen us.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    SDAddick said:

Not even in cup games?

What is the deal with him then? Is he due a salary increase if he makes another league appearance? Wouldn’t be surprised if the contract extension he signed when he got injured included something along those lines….a higher basic pay if/when he gets back to full fitness and completes X games.

Pure guesswork though….it seems a very strange situation.
  • That was floating around a couple of weeks ago
  • The first 45 minutes were positive yesterday as reflected by the comments, after the second 45 + minutes the deep insecurity of being a Charlton fan/critic came storming  through. 

We all know the two or 3 positions we need to strengthen; hopefully we can or else this will be the mid table from hell (let alone lower !)
    It was, but on an account that was written off as unreliable. First mentioned him as far back as 5th July.

https://twitter.com/fplrealwinner/status/1544213868796329987?s=21&t=ZeL2o7PUoYgSbGitmwSNPg

https://twitter.com/fplrealwinner/status/1549705945357361153?s=21&t=ZeL2o7PUoYgSbGitmwSNPg

On the upside it is a rumour unlike most of the stuff on this thread. 🙂

seems we have fewer  ITK posters any more. 

Or more realistically it’s going to go down to the last few days of the window as TS said. 
  • Sponsored links:

• If I’m honest, if it’s a choice between Derby and us I’m not that hopeful.
  • Leuth said:
    cabbles said:
    I'd start Gilbey. He is our best chance of midfield goals IMO.
    I admire your persistence Mutts.  This is like a dog whistle to me ;-) 

Absolutely no.  
    I don't know, we only scored one midfield goal yesterday. Gilbey would definitely have had at least two

Would have plucked DJ's chance out the air and absolutely buried it.
  • If I’m honest, if it’s a choice between Derby and us I’m not that hopeful.
    It was a choice between us and Derby for Jack Payne I think
    Payne chose us because of geography I suspect.

He is back living in Essex now after many years around the country.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    WSS said:
    He’s up for sale.
    He isn't.  It's really complicated.  The best solution maybe that he leaves but that isn't the outcome anyone wanted.

He isn't involved now because he is the most likely to leave, that doesn't mean he is the one Garner would most like to leave.

He isn't "up for sale" and hasn't been transfer listed. 

He won't be going to Gillingham or Wimbledon if he leaves. 
    OK, I appreciate your insight and the fact that this seems like a somewhat odd and unique situation. But this is a player whose contract extension we exercised a couple of months ago. We then proceeded to sign two more central midfielders to add to our midfield that already had quality and depth.

What I'm getting at is, how did we end up here? Why is there no joined up thinking? Did we just sign JFC to sell him, like we did Davison? If so, fine, I guess. But even if he isn't a guaranteed starter when fit, he's still one of our better midfielders.

It just feels like there's not a lot of joined up thinking. 
  • Depends what Everton want from the loan, they will ultimately decide what’s best for their players development or it could be purely financial, and then who knows 
  • So Tom cannon, if it has any truth, what’s his record?, has he played and scored league goals?, is he a youngster worth having and any better than our youngsters? For example Leaburn. If not I ask what’s the point of this type of loan signing.