Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• If stockley is up on his own again garner will be gone by Christmas 
    FFS!!!!
  • I do feel that a portion of our fanbase need to wake up and realise we are a league one side. People seem to expect us to be spending millions on household names.

SCMP means we can only spend 60% of turnover on wages. Sensibly this stops clubs paying way beyond their means unless they have a super rich owner who is happy to throw money at it at their own cost and not risking the future of the club.

Overall considering the limitations of being a league one club I think we have assembled a good squad that should be competing for the top 6 at a minimum. We can probably all agree our defence and midfield look stronger than the last few years, yes we need a couple of additions up top to give us options but one is almost through the door and we should sign another prior to the window closing.

It feels like a corner of our support will use any excuse to bash the club/owner. We are a third division side with a top end third division budget.

Myself, I am excited to see how we get on this season. BG will have us playing a good style of football and I am confident he will get us into the playoffs.
    Personally I am less convinced. And when respected pundits like the Not the top 20 podcast forecast us to finish 12th, that reinforces my concerns that against the other decent L1 sides, we are still lacking.
    How accurate were their predictions the season before?

They had us in 8th for last season.  Ahead of both Blackpool and Wigan...
    6th actually. Some right, a lot very wrong.

Ipswich.

Homer Disappear GIFs  Tenor
  • CAFCsayer said:
    cs1986 said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    If anyone fancies taking the bet, I'll take stockley to get more goals than piggott... I don't think Pompeys team is very strong
    If no ones taken you up on this I'd be up for taking Pigott over Stockley mate
    🤝🏼
    50 to upbeats?
    Yeah I'm in.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    sam3110 said:
    Why would Leaburn definitely start over CBT and Kirk? Sure he had a good preseason, but he's not the second coming. And isn't Inniss, O'Connell, Stockley, Clare adequate height in the side already? Hell, Fraser is 6ft, Dobson too, so is Gilbey, and McGrandles, and the 2 aforementioned wingers as well. In fact only Payne and Sessegnon are well under 6ft of the first team, so I don't get that
    Maybe hight was the wrong word, maybe physicality was a better choice.  I am specifically talking about tomorrow as well, not more hight/physicality generally.

I would have thought the idea was the front six to look something like

X
                    X
      X      X
                X      X 

Where now I see it being more like

X
            X        X
           X   X       X 

Once Aneke was injured the team that started last Saturday will start this one.  Obviously things change.  
    Hard to believe Morgan gets in ahead of Dobson. 
  • Incidentally…..I must have missed it somehow but what’s the latest on Aneke’s injury?
  • Incidentally…..I must have missed it somehow but what’s the latest on Aneke’s injury?
    2 weeks(ish) 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Incidentally…..I must have missed it somehow but what’s the latest on Aneke’s injury?
    2 weeks(ish) 
    Yeah 2 week ish legs. Duh!
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Jac_52 said:
    The league is very much split into two groups of 12. One dozen will be hopeful of promotion, the others will likely be happy with another season in this league.

Of the 12 contenders, I'd bracket them like this:

1st to 8th: Sheff Wed, Ipswich, Peterborough, Bolton (something would go horribly wrong for them to not be top six)

4th to 12th: MK Dons, Barnsley, Portsmouth, Oxford, Derby, Charlton, Wycombe, Plymouth (dog fight between eight clubs for 2-4 additional places in the top six)

Out of interest, why do you rate Bolton so much and ahead of Barnsley? Have they really strengthened this summer or something?
    Bolton would have gone up if the season started at Christmas last season IMO, they have got better every window for 2 seasons.  
    Shows how disconnected I am with some of the other clubs going’s on…. Last I remember they were bankrupt and about to go out of existence with 5 players on the books 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    sam3110 said:
    Why would Leaburn definitely start over CBT and Kirk? Sure he had a good preseason, but he's not the second coming. And isn't Inniss, O'Connell, Stockley, Clare adequate height in the side already? Hell, Fraser is 6ft, Dobson too, so is Gilbey, and McGrandles, and the 2 aforementioned wingers as well. In fact only Payne and Sessegnon are well under 6ft of the first team, so I don't get that
    Maybe hight was the wrong word, maybe physicality was a better choice.  I am specifically talking about tomorrow as well, not more hight/physicality generally.

I would have thought the idea was the front six to look something like

X
                    X
      X      X
                X      X 

Where now I see it being more like

X
            X        X
           X   X       X 

Once Aneke was injured the team that started last Saturday will start this one.  Obviously things change.  
    Hard to believe Morgan gets in ahead of Dobson. 
    Personally I find it hard to believe that either of them get in ahead of a fully fit JFC.  But there you go.

Morgan wouldn't get on the bench in "my team" but I am not the manager and I won't get sacked if I balls it up.

There is something about Dobson that I obviously can't see, he isn't highly rated "in the game" remember last year Sunderland paid him off to leave.  He was our best player, once we changed formation, last season.  By far IMO.

When was the last time we had a stand out POTY and they weren't ever seriously linked with a move away?
  • edited July 2022
    Second half of last season our striker options (for two places) were: Stockley, Washington, Aneke, Burstow, Kanu

Going into tomorrow, our striker options (for one place) are: Stockley, Aneke, Leaburn, Kanu

The fact that we have Aneke puts us in a difficult situation as theoretically the numbers we have (4) should cover us for the formation we want to play.

But the problem is that Chuks can't be relied stay fit and so, treating the real number as 3, we need someone with senior experience added to the group. I'd argue that we needed that additional senior presence last season too.

To reiterate, we are playing a formation this year that requires one striker fewer than we did last season. Hence it makes sense to have one striker fewer in the squad than we did last season. Add to the fact that Davison wasn't here while Aneke came in and we are in my opinion, no better or worse in terms of bodies vs positions to fill than we were at the end of last year.

The problem is that we were one short then and we remain one short now.
    And, with the best will in the world, I would suggest we need more experience than Leaburn and Kanu to get us near to a top six position.
    I don't disagree. I want us to sign another striker.

Asking for two is too much and will stunt the development of those same players.
    In all honesty Kanu is two years away from first team football. 
    It won't stunt his growth. 

Disagree.
    Daniel Kanu is 18 in November. Why shouldn't he be in the 1st team squad around December? We are League 1 and Kanu should be introduced to the squad around the Xmas Fixtures 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Incidentally…..I must have missed it somehow but what’s the latest on Aneke’s injury?
    2 weeks(ish) 
    Charlton injury weeks though are like comparing dog years to human years...
  • edited July 2022
    Good player. Would be worth going after but we’re so stocked on midfielders.
  • Second half of last season our striker options (for two places) were: Stockley, Washington, Aneke, Burstow, Kanu

Going into tomorrow, our striker options (for one place) are: Stockley, Aneke, Leaburn, Kanu

The fact that we have Aneke puts us in a difficult situation as theoretically the numbers we have (4) should cover us for the formation we want to play.

But the problem is that Chuks can't be relied stay fit and so, treating the real number as 3, we need someone with senior experience added to the group. I'd argue that we needed that additional senior presence last season too.

To reiterate, we are playing a formation this year that requires one striker fewer than we did last season. Hence it makes sense to have one striker fewer in the squad than we did last season. Add to the fact that Davison wasn't here while Aneke came in and we are in my opinion, no better or worse in terms of bodies vs positions to fill than we were at the end of last year.

And, with the best will in the world, I would suggest we need more experience than Leaburn and Kanu to get us near to a top six position.
    I don't disagree. I want us to sign another striker.

Asking for two is too much and will stunt the development of those same players.
    In all honesty Kanu is two years away from first team football. 
    It won't stunt his growth. 

Disagree.
    Daniel Kanu is 18 in November. Why shouldn't he be in the 1st team squad around December? We are League 1 and Kanu should be introduced to the squad around the Xmas Fixtures 
    Only if he's ready. He's clearly got talent no question there but Leaburn Jr seems to have got the nod based on being more physically developed and able to face that side of senior football.

I'd like Kanu to come through and develop into the striker he's showing the signs of being but a few weeks of being wrestled, bodychecked and booted into the air by some of the more rugged specimens of defender in league one could set him back considerably if we're not careful.
  • Second half of last season our striker options (for two places) were: Stockley, Washington, Aneke, Burstow, Kanu

Going into tomorrow, our striker options (for one place) are: Stockley, Aneke, Leaburn & Kanu.

Of those 4 you mention, 2 are raw and 1 is injury prone and cant play 90 mins. 

We might only need 1 "striker" but the options are hardly awe inspiring. I bet you before too long Leaburn will the main striker (either due to injury or suspension) and he will follow in his father's footsteps of being asked to compete way before his time. Carlo was a force later in his career with us but the first 3 seasons he was ridiculed & I just hope it doesn't happen to his son. 
    Even a stopped clock is right twice a day...
  • I mean, we finished 13th in a season where our striking options were Leko, Lee, Burstow and Kanu for a two month stretch ffs.

Things can't get any worse than that, can they?
    They are worse than that right now- Stockley er, that's it
  • For what it's worth, with a month to go, I think our transfer window so far has been pretty impressive
    really ??

lost 2 strikers that haven't been replaced
    lost a left footed left back that hasn't been replaced
    recruited 3 defenders, a defensive midfielder, a goalkeeper (that wasn't a priority) and 1 attacking midfielder.

In a team last year that didn't score enough goals to even get into the top half of the league. I understand you "build from the back" but goals win you games. 

Currently I would give the "rebuild" 5 out of 10. The squad itself about a 7 (and that's being generous)

We start our first game tomorrow with just 1 fit striker. If Stockley gets injured or sent off tomorrow we have big problems.

But I'm just a doom monger & everything will be alright once the transfer window closes on Sept 1st. 

This has been repeated a few times but it's a bit of a red herring. We played with two strikers last season so we needed 5 in the squad ideally. Garner only plays with 1, so we need 3. We don't actually have to replace both the strikers we lost as we're not playing the same way. One more will do it.
    Remind me of that when all 3 are out either injured or suspended. Last season we had 5 strikers and in March that wasn't enough when Stockley, Washington & Aneke were all out injured. 

Its funny, because in a World Cup squad you find Countries will almost invariably take 3 goalkeepers when they might only be playing 3 or 4 games, and will be lacking players upfront (Look at the 2006 WC when Bent didn't go). This is a 46 game season & currently we might have just 1 senior striker available tomorrow if Aneke isn't fit. 

pfft.
    Come off it. Aside from the fact the answer to all three being out is, obviously, Leaburn plays, how many strikers should we have competing for one spot just in case then? Should we have 5 first team strikers hanging around hoping that Stockley's legs explode? 10? What if we have 15 and then all get injured. WHY DIDN'T WE PLAN FOR IF WE HAD 15 STRIKERS INJURED?? Last season we had Stockley, Washington and Davison up to January and then Stockley, Washington and Aneke from there. Burstow was a youth player we catapulted up because we were short. It wasn't enough. This season we will, hopefully have Stockley, Aneke, another striker and Leaburn as part of the squad, with Kanu hopefully developing if real disaster strikes. Three proper first team options, Leaburn pushing to play and then some youth options if things are really desperate. We only need one more striker to meet that, not two.
    The reason teams take 3 goalkeepers to the World Cup is because the rules say you have to. 'Three players must be goalkeepers, with the number 1 shirt reserved for one of them'.
    You are really dreaming if you think Aneke will be a consistent option. He is not even fit now!
  • Sponsored links:

• https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/i-dont-like-a-big-squad-charlton-boss-ben-garner-on-whether-there-needs-to-be-transfer-outgoings/

“Charlton are thought to be receptive to offers for Jake Forster-Caskey and Alex Gilbey”

““We certainly need to add in one or two areas still.””
    Almost certain that both will leave in my opinion. Probably for no fee, and at the least on loan. There's definitely clubs in league one that would take both.
  • Leuth said:
    First person to make a turning circle joke gets a punch 
    High five! Of all the people to deliver the punchline…

• I do feel that a portion of our fanbase need to wake up and realise we are a league one side. People seem to expect us to be spending millions on household names.

SCMP means we can only spend 60% of turnover on wages. Sensibly this stops clubs paying way beyond their means unless they have a super rich owner who is happy to throw money at it at their own cost and not risking the future of the club.

Overall considering the limitations of being a league one club I think we have assembled a good squad that should be competing for the top 6 at a minimum. We can probably all agree our defence and midfield look stronger than the last few years, yes we need a couple of additions up top to give us options but one is almost through the door and we should sign another prior to the window closing.

It feels like a corner of our support will use any excuse to bash the club/owner. We are a third division side with a top end third division budget.

Myself, I am excited to see how we get on this season. BG will have us playing a good style of football and I am confident he will get us into the playoffs.
    Personally I am less convinced. And when respected pundits like the Not the top 20 podcast forecast us to finish 12th, that reinforces my concerns that against the other decent L1 sides, we are still lacking.
    How accurate were their predictions the season before?

They had us in 8th for last season.  Ahead of both Blackpool and Wigan...
    6th actually. Some right, a lot very wrong.

Isn’t there 2, 1st places?

Only got one placing correct?
  • Would keep still like to keep JFC and let Gilbey go.
  • Leuth said:
    First person to make a turning circle joke gets a punch 
    High five! Of all the people to deliver the punchline…

It's a fucking cheat code for my LOL count 
  • https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/i-dont-like-a-big-squad-charlton-boss-ben-garner-on-whether-there-needs-to-be-transfer-outgoings/

“Charlton are thought to be receptive to offers for Jake Forster-Caskey and Alex Gilbey”

““We certainly need to add in one or two areas still.””
    Almost certain that both will leave in my opinion. Probably for no fee, and at the least on loan. There's definitely clubs in league one that would take both.
    There certainly are many league 1 clubs that would happily have both (how we missed them both at the start of last season).  The issue is which league 1 clubs will both want them and they be happy to sign for?  That's a much smaller number.

I can't see either of them going on loan to Morecambe can you?