Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• I do feel that a portion of our fanbase need to wake up and realise we are a league one side. People seem to expect us to be spending millions on household names.

SCMP means we can only spend 60% of turnover on wages. Sensibly this stops clubs paying way beyond their means unless they have a super rich owner who is happy to throw money at it at their own cost and not risking the future of the club.

Overall considering the limitations of being a league one club I think we have assembled a good squad that should be competing for the top 6 at a minimum. We can probably all agree our defence and midfield look stronger than the last few years, yes we need a couple of additions up top to give us options but one is almost through the door and we should sign another prior to the window closing.

It feels like a corner of our support will use any excuse to bash the club/owner. We are a third division side with a top end third division budget.

Myself, I am excited to see how we get on this season. BG will have us playing a good style of football and I am confident he will get us into the playoffs.
    We have a top half squad, I don't think it's a top six squad.
  • Just want to lighten the mood by saying I saw someone on Twitter refer to our constantly injured impact forward as Chuks A&Eke.

Superb
  • Just want to lighten the mood by saying I saw someone on Twitter refer to our constantly injured impact forward as Chuks A&Eke.

Superb
    I’ve been critical but sometimes you’ve gotta hand it to Twitter 👏🏻 
  • I do feel that a portion of our fanbase need to wake up and realise we are a league one side. People seem to expect us to be spending millions on household names.

SCMP means we can only spend 60% of turnover on wages. Sensibly this stops clubs paying way beyond their means unless they have a super rich owner who is happy to throw money at it at their own cost and not risking the future of the club.

Overall considering the limitations of being a league one club I think we have assembled a good squad that should be competing for the top 6 at a minimum. We can probably all agree our defence and midfield look stronger than the last few years, yes we need a couple of additions up top to give us options but one is almost through the door and we should sign another prior to the window closing.

It feels like a corner of our support will use any excuse to bash the club/owner. We are a third division side with a top end third division budget.

Myself, I am excited to see how we get on this season. BG will have us playing a good style of football and I am confident he will get us into the playoffs.
    Personally I am less convinced. And when respected pundits like the Not the top 20 podcast forecast us to finish 12th, that reinforces my concerns that against the other decent L1 sides, we are still lacking.

Personally I am less convinced. And when respected pundits like the Not the top 20 podcast forecast us to finish 12th, that reinforces my concerns that against the other decent L1 sides, we are still lacking.
    How accurate were their predictions the season before?
  • For what it's worth, with a month to go, I think our transfer window so far has been pretty impressive
    really ??

lost 2 strikers that haven't been replaced
    lost a left footed left back that hasn't been replaced
    recruited 3 defenders, a defensive midfielder, a goalkeeper (that wasn't a priority) and 1 attacking midfielder.

In a team last year that didn't score enough goals to even get into the top half of the league. I understand you "build from the back" but goals win you games. 

Currently I would give the "rebuild" 5 out of 10. The squad itself about a 7 (and that's being generous)

We start our first game tomorrow with just 1 fit striker. If Stockley gets injured or sent off tomorrow we have big problems.

But I'm just a doom monger & everything will be alright once the transfer window closes on Sept 1st. 

I've not lost sleep over any one of the outgoing players from last season (were we not all calling for a squad clear out?) and every incoming player this summer has been an upgrade on what we've had before, especially for the style of play Garner wants.

Sure, I'd have loved a star striker in and all the deals done before we kick off tomorrow but the reality is that this was never going to be the case. I'd hazard a guess that most clubs outside the Prem are in the same situation. Garner has said as much in the article above.

I'm very confident we will fill the three key gaps in the squad over the next few weeks and I think we have more than enough about us as we stand to at least put in a solid showing until they arrive.

So yes, really.
  • Sponsored links:

No point playing then, just take the predictions. Won’t have to spunk money on anyone else then!!🙄👍

I've no idea, but I'm pretty sure they
    a) know the other clubs in L1 better than we do
    b) know last season's L2 better than we do, hence having far more knowledge about "Garnerball" and indeed the signings from L2 we've made
  • Scoham said:
    Sessegnon has been signed to play LB presumably because they’ve seen he’s performed in that position before. What Solly, Gunter etc have done is irrelevant. It’s rare to find someone comfortable on both sides but I don’t see why they’d sign a RB to play LB unless they were confident he’s comfortable there.
    To me he's a utility player, who hasn't tied down a position. He played right wing back mainly for Plymouth last season
  • For what it's worth, with a month to go, I think our transfer window so far has been pretty impressive
    really ??

recruited 3 defenders, a defensive midfielder, a goalkeeper (that wasn't a priority) and 1 attacking midfielder.

In a team last year that didn't score enough goals to even get into the top half of the league. I understand you "build from the back" but goals win you games. 

Currently I would give the "rebuild" 5 out of 10. The squad itself about a 7 (and that's being generous)

We start our first game tomorrow with just 1 fit striker. If Stockley gets injured or sent off tomorrow we have big problems.

But I'm just a doom monger & everything will be alright once the transfer window closes on Sept 1st. 

Doom monger, Golfie?

That's been your most optimistic post for ages. :smile:

• Scoham said:
    Sessegnon has been signed to play LB presumably because they’ve seen he’s performed in that position before. What Solly, Gunter etc have done is irrelevant. It’s rare to find someone comfortable on both sides but I don’t see why they’d sign a RB to play LB unless they were confident he’s comfortable there.
    And with the number 3 shirt still vacant, that rather suggests that there will be perhaps an incoming left footed defender to fill it?

• Scoham said:
    To me he's a utility player, who hasn't tied down a position. He played right wing back mainly for Plymouth last season
    I just feel we need to judge him as a LB after a run of games rather than deciding it’ll never work because he prefers his right foot.
  • edited July 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Amazing how many people know better who to pick to be captain than the manager....
    And the formation.  And the tactics. But then Charlton Life is rare in that 75% of posters appear to hold Uefa Pro coaching licences 
    Taught Pep and Jurgen everything they know
    Obviously don't listen though do they.  Not a 2 up front, nippy striker or 442 between the pair of them, idiots.

Never win anything like that. 

Pep knew that he needed a striker not to win the Premier League but to win the Champions League. He couldn't get Kane because of Levy but he knew he needed Haaland. 

To compare Liverpool and Man City to Charlton needs in League 1 just doesn't compare.
    I must have imagined Rotherham got promoted from League 1 and Wycombe came within a play off match. If a League 1 side had the right mix of players then 4-4-2 could well beat most teams if the correct players were in there optimum positions. 

You mix and match how you play in League 1 because we don't have world class midfielders and a world class wide forward like Mahrez. It's football from another universe the way Liverpool and Man city play even though they use different formations.

Looking forward to seeing how Ben Garner's way of playing comes off because there are some flaws at the moment with the players available.

• cs1986 said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    If anyone fancies taking the bet, I'll take stockley to get more goals than piggott... I don't think Pompeys team is very strong
    If no ones taken you up on this I'd be up for taking Pigott over Stockley mate
    🤝🏼
    50 to upbeats?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2022
    For what it's worth, with a month to go, I think our transfer window so far has been pretty impressive
    really ??

This has been repeated a few times but it's a bit of a red herring. We played with two strikers last season so we needed 5 in the squad ideally. Garner only plays with 1, so we need 3. We don't actually have to replace both the strikers we lost as we're not playing the same way. One more will do it.
    But 433 requires goal scoring wide attackers to work well, which we aren't exactly strong in either, unless CBT, Kirk and DJ can suddenly start scoring goals at a rate which they've never done before.

So we're weak in both No 9 cover and in the wide attacking areas. JRS sounds promising, but it isn't a given we'll get him, and we really could have done with someone like him earlier in the window
    really ??

This has been repeated a few times but it's a bit of a red herring. We played with two strikers last season so we needed 5 in the squad ideally. Garner only plays with 1, so we need 3. We don't actually have to replace both the strikers we lost as we're not playing the same way. One more will do it.
    But 433 requires goal scoring wide attackers to work well, which we aren't exactly strong in either, unless CBT, Kirk and DJ can suddenly start scoring goals at a rate which they've never done before.

So we're weak in both No 9 cover and in the wide attacking areas. JRS sounds promising, but it isn't a given we'll get him, and we really could have done with someone like him earlier in the window
    Which is why we’re signing JRS and experimenting with Leaburn there. Proven goal scoring wide players won’t be cheap so unless there’s one out of contract or going cheap for whatever reason they’re the type of signings we’ll likely have to wait for. If we sign JRS and he scores regularly then he’d have been worth waiting for.
    really ??

Even when we played 2 we only ever had 3 of Stockley, Washington, Davison-Ponytail and A&Eneke in the squad at anyone time. 
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    I just feel we need to judge him as a LB after a run of games rather than deciding it’ll never work because he prefers his right foot.

Barness was a right footed left back and he didn't work out too bad.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    For what it's worth, with a month to go, I think our transfer window so far has been pretty impressive
    really ??

Even when we played 2 we only ever had 3 of Stockley, Washington, Davison-Ponytail and A&Eneke in the squad at anyone time. 
    Yep, and we suffered for that last season massively. Adkins started the season wanting to play one up front, and we could have done with a backup to Stockley given Adkins didn't fancy Washington as a striker but we didn't get one in. Then Jackson played two up front so we brought in Chuks but we were still short and when the injuries hit we were screwed. I hope that's addressed this season with a proper bit of first team competition for Stockley.

They had us in 8th for last season.  Ahead of both Blackpool and Wigan...
  • edited July 2022
    I do feel that a portion of our fanbase need to wake up and realise we are a league one side. People seem to expect us to be spending millions on household names.

They had us in 8th for last season.  Ahead of both Blackpool and Wigan...
    We'd have done unbelievably well to finish in front of Blackpool.
    Think that's why Jacko got the boot. Couldn't deliver Championship safety  :D