Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Leuth said:
    Btw, you read it here first: the Devon Lewandowski
    Who is? If you meant Stockley he was born in Dorset.
    Yeah but that doesn't sound as good
  • cafc4life said:
    Stockley is one of the best centre forwards in the league, get off his back and get behind him and the boys. 
    The cafc4life pitch for the vice captaincy
  • edited July 2022
    Who’s to say that it was Garner that chose Jayden to be captain?
    I've often wondered if there was a clause in Stockley's contract when he joined us last summer that he'd be made Captain
    I haven't! 😎 but that image of Stockton's photo shopped head will live long in my memory. Very good 👍
  • Leuth said:

Correct:
    Jayden was born in Poole; a water birth ?
  • Then most inexplicable part of the wholly unimpressive transfer window to date was letting Purrington leave when we have no recognised left back for the opening fixture and no one claiming the number 3 shirt. 

Guess what part of our defence  Accrington will be targeting from the start. 
  • edited July 2022
    Come in number 3, let's be havin' you.

Come in number 7, who is the forward that can cross, go central to support, play 90 minutes, assist goals, score 15+, graft, tackle, good team player, tea total, dedicated Professional, respected by his team mates, worshipped by the fans.

What is this player doing in League 1 🤔
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2022
    For what it's worth, with a month to go, I think our transfer window so far has been pretty impressive
    In an ideal world, our permanent transfer business would be done, and this next month would be identifying loans that could help bulk the squad out a little bit more - Thats only realistic though, if all our permanent transfers were freebies.
  • For what it's worth, with a month to go, I think our transfer window so far has been pretty impressive
    I agree. Plus we’ve got Kirk coming back into the squad, and Fraser is finally match fit. A lot of my confidence is that those two players will shine is our new formation. 
  • I do feel that a portion of our fanbase need to wake up and realise we are a league one side. People seem to expect us to be spending millions on household names.

SCMP means we can only spend 60% of turnover on wages. Sensibly this stops clubs paying way beyond their means unless they have a super rich owner who is happy to throw money at it at their own cost and not risking the future of the club.

Overall considering the limitations of being a league one club I think we have assembled a good squad that should be competing for the top 6 at a minimum. We can probably all agree our defence and midfield look stronger than the last few years, yes we need a couple of additions up top to give us options but one is almost through the door and we should sign another prior to the window closing.

It feels like a corner of our support will use any excuse to bash the club/owner. We are a third division side with a top end third division budget.

Myself, I am excited to see how we get on this season. BG will have us playing a good style of football and I am confident he will get us into the playoffs.
    Couldnt agree more. The highlighted bit rings true for me.
  • Who’s to say that it was Garner that chose Jayden to be captain ? Perhaps there was a dressing room vote. Seems like we have a few leaders and ex captains within the squad now. Perhaps it wasn’t a straightforward managers choice. 
    Are you saying our captain is selected in the sane manner as the Tory  leader ? Members only. They will squabble like ferrets in a bag if so. 🤣🙃
    Perhaps the fans should select the captain?

After all I've paid for my ST so I'm entitled to my opinion and pick the captain. :smiley:

• For what it's worth, with a month to go, I think our transfer window so far has been pretty impressive
    I agree. Plus we’ve got Kirk coming back into the squad, and Fraser is finally match fit. A lot of my confidence is that those two players will shine is our new formation. 
    Agreed as far as it goes. But there are 6 league games before the window SLAMS shut and if we wait until the last knockings to complete the team we will be playing catch up by then. 
  • BG to SLP:

Three positions that need strengthening.  

• Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    What a strike force you’ve christened: The Cheat Code and the Devon Lewandowski 
    Agreed as far as it goes. But there are 6 league games before the window SLAMS shut and if we wait until the last knockings to complete the team we will be playing catch up by then. 
    Not such a problem if we’ve won 4 and drawn 2 by then though🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Leuth said:

Correct:
    Jayden was born in Poole; 
    My home town for the last 30 years!
    He was born the same year as my son, a mere 4 months later
  • Scoham said:
    Garner confirms we’re looking for signings in three positions.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-coy-on-transfer-interest-in-crystal-palace-winger-but-talks-about-three-positions-that-need-strengthening/

I assume that’s out wide (JRS), up front and someone who can play LCB and LB.

I await the meltdown if it’s JRS, LB and LCB without a striker coming in.
    Sometimes there can be a little bit of an obssession with certain positions – centre-forward being one of them.

Shows to me how he's seen as such a progressive Manager with how the Sport has changed.

Quite like this side of him, along with the incident with the fan last week... Nothing wrong being set in our ways, but the Sport continuously changes in styles, so we as fans need to move with those times too
  • Then most inexplicable part of the wholly unimpressive transfer window to date was letting Purrington leave when we have no recognised left back for the opening fixture and no one claiming the number 3 shirt. 

Guess what part of our defence  Accrington will be targeting from the start. 
    We’ll get one in. It isn’t as simple as someone leaving and getting a replacement straight away. We still have a month left of the window, we are clearly biding our time waiting for our number 1/2 choice. Would you rather we go and get another bang average player in or wait for the right one? 
  • Macronate said:
    I do feel that a portion of our fanbase need to wake up and realise we are a league one side. People seem to expect us to be spending millions on household names.

SCMP means we can only spend 60% of turnover on wages. Sensibly this stops clubs paying way beyond their means unless they have a super rich owner who is happy to throw money at it at their own cost and not risking the future of the club.

Overall considering the limitations of being a league one club I think we have assembled a good squad that should be competing for the top 6 at a minimum. We can probably all agree our defence and midfield look stronger than the last few years, yes we need a couple of additions up top to give us options but one is almost through the door and we should sign another prior to the window closing.

It feels like a corner of our support will use any excuse to bash the club/owner. We are a third division side with a top end third division budget.

Myself, I am excited to see how we get on this season. BG will have us playing a good style of football and I am confident he will get us into the playoffs.
    I'm sorry, but there's no place for posts like this on this forum.
    Sad isn’t it? 🙄