Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• paulfox said:
    Danthered said:
    Hoping for.. before the window closed, is slightly less encouraging to here, hopefully it’s just dampening expectations.
    Someone help me out here……JRS who is that?
    I suppose it’s the lad from Palarse?
    I thought JRS was the fella out of JLS!
  • CAFCsayer said:
    If anyone fancies taking the bet, I'll take stockley to get more goals than piggott... I don't think Pompeys team is very strong
    If no ones taken you up on this I'd be up for taking Pigott over Stockley mate
  • Rough day for those who want a better Striker in.

We'll be playing one up front this season, everyone will surely know this... Including any Strikers that we want to sign on loan, as like Davison they'll know that there is instantly no certainty that they'll be a constant starter - Similar to the struggles Spurs have had with finding backup for Kane
    Indeed, made even more complicated knowing that you will essentially be 3rd in the pecking order, and won’t get chances off the bench because of Aneke.

Surely you mean , will get chances off the bench because of Aneke being injured
  • sam3110 said:
    Jayden isn't captain material, like Solly wasn't captain material. A captain needs to be the most vocal player, a leader of men and a disciplinarian. For all his footballing shortcomings and faults, Pearce epitomised this. I'd give it to Inniss, O'Connell, Dobson or McGrandles based on that alone
    How much do you know about O’Connell or McGrandles though? I’m not 100% convinced on Stockley as captain, although I do think we seem to have more leaders than before so ultimately it’s not the be all and end all. No point having a cracking captain without anyone backing him up.
  • Ultimately the players will have had some say on who’s made captain with the new manager coming in and Stockley seems to have been the favourite the whole time. I’m not really keen on the captain being up top myself but I’m sure there’s an understanding that O’Connell is in charge at the back. 
  • mendonca said:
    Get Harry Arter back in as captain. Also he's way too good for L1. Easily be the best midfielder in the league. 
    He’s premier league now mate, we don’t have a chance
  • sam3110 said:
    Jayden isn't captain material, like Solly wasn't captain material. A captain needs to be the most vocal player, a leader of men and a disciplinarian. For all his footballing shortcomings and faults, Pearce epitomised this. I'd give it to Inniss, O'Connell, Dobson or McGrandles based on that alone

I dunno, he's pretty vocal when flapping his arms around having a good old moan.
  • Sponsored links:

• AndyG said:
    I like Stockley and think he has done little wrong to get the stick he has had on here lately. However he isnt an on field captain for me. To many silly bookings for my liking
    Difficult to say as we don't know the dynamic in the team or how JS is viewed by the rest of the squad.

Pearce was captain and got booked.
    Yup but Pearce was calculated imo. For me Stockley isnt, once he gets a booking I always think he is likely to get another one and sent off
  • He hasn't been sent off that many times.
  • edited July 2022
    He hasn't been sent off that many times.
    Three straight reds in his career, just the one with us, which was his first in five years.

Even then that red card was given by Trevor Kettle, so doesnt really count

He's been sent off twice for two bookings in his career, but again the most recent was 2017

He can be an idiot with challenges, as we saw last Saturday against Swansea, but then he's also got his head screwed on... I mean it wasnt long after that foul, that he pretty much decided against even going for one loose ball as looked a 50/50 for him getting to it.
  • AndyG said:
    AndyG said:
    I like Stockley and think he has done little wrong to get the stick he has had on here lately. However he isnt an on field captain for me. To many silly bookings for my liking
    Difficult to say as we don't know the dynamic in the team or how JS is viewed by the rest of the squad.

Yup but Pearce was calculated imo. For me Stockley isnt, once he gets a booking I always think he is likely to get another one and sent off
    How many times has he been sent off playing for us?
  • AndyG said:
    AndyG said:

How many times has he been sent off playing for us?
    Just the once against Burton right. And I still don’t believe him and Deji deserved straight reds for that - but they got kettled. 

• I like a player with an edge. If they do something stupid, I expect them to learn from it. Stockley puts himself about and winds up opponents which I always thought was a good thing. 
  • cafc4life said:
    Stockley is one of the best centre forwards in the league, get off his back and get behind him and the boys. 
    This.

Sheff Wednesday were after him before opting for Rotherham’s top scorer instead if I’m not mistaken, says all you need to know.
  • cafc4life said:
    Stockley is one of the best centre forwards in the league, get off his back and get behind him and the boys. 
    This.

Sheff Wednesday were after him before opting for Rotherham’s top scorer instead if I’m not mistaken, says all you need to know.
    Because we told them he was not for sale .. plus they could not afford him hence signing a free from Rotherham 
  • Sponsored links:

• At this level, if he stays fit and works within the system he is a 20 plus a season player. I think that is something we really need.
  • There is a question mark about him in the Championship, but that is a discussion I'm sure we will be pleased to have next season. I can't see why it is needed now when most teams if not all at this level would have him if we was giving him away.
  • sam3110 said:
    Genuinely astonished that people still believe this idea that every captain needs to behave like Roy Keane. I'm also amazed people think they can make judgments about whether a player is a suitable captain based on what they've seen in a few matches rather than the professional football manager who have spent decades in the game and have been working with the players every day. Stockley has worn the armband for Adkins, Jackson and now Garner, I'm beginning to suspect that according to the people that see the squad every day, Stockley might just be captain material.
    Come on mate, Sam’s seen Stockley complain about the world class service he receives every game, how can he be a skipper.
  • It is true that as fans it is a role we have less idea about. He doesn't captain us.