Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Rough day for those who want a better Striker in.

We'll be playing one up front this season, everyone will surely know this... Including any Strikers that we want to sign on loan, as like Davison they'll know that there is instantly no certainty that they'll be a constant starter - Similar to the struggles Spurs have had with finding backup for Kane
  • If it takes this long to get a loan signing on board goodness knows how long a permanent one would take.  
    Exactly 

Signing players from other clubs, loan or perm, takes a lot of time and effort as there as so many parties involved.

• Stockley being made captain potentially sends a signal to them.
  • Redrobo said:
    So it looks like we could be starting the season with no recognised left back. I know Sessignon has played there before but seeing as the No3 shirt has been left vacant I'm assuming the club feel that we want a left footed left back.

So, no lessons learnt from last season then. 
    We had a recognised left back last season. Try and keep up.
    Sorry, I should gave said a fit one.

Gunter started the season at left back; then we brought in Souare who wasnt match fit either. 
  • If it takes this long to get a loan signing on board goodness knows how long a permanent one would take.  
    Exactly 

Signing players from other clubs, loan or perm, takes a lot of time and effort as there as so many parties involved.

Just as well we have ages before the season starts in that case……
  • It is of course possible that nobody wants the number rather than it is waiting for a player. It was Purrington's last season and he has left as we know.
    Yes, I just heard the club have retired it in honour of our Wembley goalscorer 😄

We'll be playing one up front this season, everyone will surely know this... Including any Strikers that we want to sign on loan, as like Davison they'll know that there is instantly no certainty that they'll be a constant starter - Similar to the struggles Spurs have had with finding backup for Kane
    Indeed, made even more complicated knowing that you will essentially be 3rd in the pecking order, and won’t get chances off the bench because of Aneke.

FA, for the 4-3-3 to work, Stockley won't be isolated. If Ben Garner is a good coach he must know this after watching the high/low lights of last Season. A good manager assesses games quickly and knows what works and what doesn't. 

Same manta from me as 12 months ago.
    Stockley's needs a partner or partners; don't care what they are called: forwards or midfielders but they need to get in and around the box in numbers to create chances which hopefully we take.

Struggling to see how we will win at home but will be delighted to be wrong and any more incomings will help on the forward and Left footed LB situation.

• Redrobo said:
    So it looks like we could be starting the season with no recognised left back. I know Sessignon has played there before but seeing as the No3 shirt has been left vacant I'm assuming the club feel that we want a left footed left back.

Gunter started the season at left back; then we brought in Souare who wasnt match fit either. 
    He was barely a left back either. 
  • Sponsored links:

Not really, look at our keeper situation for example.  And besides doesn’t mean he can’t be dropped look at Pearce last season.  All this does is cement his faith in Stockley in the system he’s playing and his leadership qualities.  
  • It is of course possible that nobody wants the number rather than it is waiting for a player. It was Purrington's last season and he has left as we know.
    The number is being left unused on purpose in honour of Purrington who no replacement could live up to. :)
    The number is being left unused on purpose in honour of Purrington who no replacement could live up to. :)

Purrington's goal at Wembley was the catalyst for our victory. Also his form when JJ was caretaker helped take us from the Quicksand to mid table despite then most of the team losing form.

I assumed we were getting a faster attacking LB in to replace Ben so they could get up and down the left flank quicker, so surprised that Steven Sessegnon has got the gig as unlike Ryan Sessegnon he doesn't go on the outside but prefers to cut back on his stronger Right foot.
  • Redrobo said:

Nice recovery.
  • edited July 2022
    I like Stockley too but feel we are relying on him too much. What if playing him as a lone striker doesn't work because players that haven't scored loads through their careers suddenly don't score loads of goals to support him now. We had more options last season thank God and Jacko went to two strikers to get us out of the relegation zone. And if we didn't learn from last season that U23s can't be banked on until they break through it would suggest the owner is thick in football terms, making roughly the same mistakes due to a misguided ego. Lets hope that isn't right! Sadly that is where I am at this time.
  • AndyG said:
    I like Stockley and think he has done little wrong to get the stick he has had on here lately. However he isnt an on field captain for me. To many silly bookings for my liking
    Difficult to say as we don't know the dynamic in the team or how JS is viewed by the rest of the squad.

Pearce was captain and got booked.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2022
    Learning from our mistakes my bollox. 
    Nowhere near good enough for a promotion push 
    Sadly I think you are spot on. I so wish to have egg on my face and I am trying to see the positives but just can't. Where are the F*ing goals going to come from? Garner will have to be the second coming but he made a mess at Bristol Rovers and couldn't get Swindon promoted. He has hardly shown he has a record of turning water into wine.
  • BREAKING: Cardiff City goalkeeper Dillon Phillips joins KV Oostende on loan 
    Any news on the Plymouth players from January fella?
  • I really don't understand people thinking stockley wouldn't be garners main man up top... as much as I'd like some competition,  stockley is basically Davison but better and much better in the air
  • CAFCsayer said:
    I really don't understand people thinking stockley wouldn't be garners main man up top... as much as I'd like some competition,  stockley is basically Davison but better and much better in the air
    Problem is Garner likes the play the ball on the floor.

Has Stockley scored in pre-season at all  ??  How many of our goals in pre-season have been scored with headers, especially from balls crossed into the box from open play (ie, not from a corner/free kick).

Sorry to say, if this squad is going to get top 6 there is going to have to be a seachange from lot of players. Watching the Swansea match last Saturday I don't remember CBT crossing many for Stockley to head home. Really, just think about it. 
  • Learning from our mistakes my bollox. 
    Nowhere near good enough for a promotion push 
    Sadly I think you are spot on. I so wish to have egg on my face and I am trying to see the positives but just can't. Where are the F*ing goals going to come from? Garner will have to be the second coming but he made a mess at Bristol Rovers and couldn't get Swindon promoted. He has hardly shown he has a record of turning water into wine.
    Let’s wait and see. It’s impossible to say we haven’t had a better summer so far than previous summers and there is still time to go.

He really did turn water into wine with Swindon who started pre season with 5 players last year and he’s been brought in because he plays attacking football with lots of shots and goals.

It may prove to be unsuccessful but let’s just wait and see. I think there are lots of reasons to be positive.
  • I accept he did a decent enough job there but he went into the play offs with a level playing field and his team fell short.
  • Some captains lead by example and there is nothing to stop say an expereinced defender to marshall the defence like a captain. Ideally you want a team of potential captains.
  • edited July 2022
    I accept he did a decent enough job there but he went into the play offs with a level playing field and his team fell short.
    Because a Charlton player, that has now been "jogged on" missed a penalty, apart from that it's impeccable logic.
  • Stockley is at his best when he gets a regular supply of crosses into the box for his headers. I did not see this happen last season and I have not seen any real change in the pre season games.

Garner is happy with his change in play by picking up balls deeper and bringing wide players into the attack. However, I really can`t see him getting into the box quick enough afterwards to be in position to receive the crosses when they do come in.

So, how are we going to score enough goals to force the wins we need to even think about promotion? 
    No one else has shown a hunger to shoot (apart from young Leburn and Gilbey) so Garner must have some aces up his sleeve once the league games get underway or will be as toothless as last season.

If we wait until the end of the window (1st Sept) to get our final signings in, we will probably have to wait a further month before they are ready to be integrated into the first team. This just reminds me of the bad start we had last year which we never recovered from and which guaranteed another year in this division.

I was hoping for a far better organised start to this season to give us a fighting chance. Not sure it`s going to happen.

Just hope Garner will surprise me and have the players motivated to collect enough points before he gathers his first eleven together.

• CAFCsayer said:
    I really don't understand people thinking stockley wouldn't be garners main man up top... as much as I'd like some competition,  stockley is basically Davison but better and much better in the air
    Problem is Garner likes the play the ball on the floor.

Has Stockley scored in pre-season at all  ??  How many of our goals in pre-season have been scored with headers, especially from balls crossed into the box from open play (ie, not from a corner/free kick).

Sorry to say, if this squad is going to get top 6 there is going to have to be a seachange from lot of players. Watching the Swansea match last Saturday I don't remember CBT crossing many for Stockley to head home. Really, just think about it. 
    I’ll add to that he needs quite a few crosses - it’s too much to expect if we do get the odd ball in the box he’ll be able to score every time.  

Garner must be confident in his approach so we’ll have a better idea come the end of the month