Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Wish they would move the transfer window to be before the season starts fed up with going into a season with a incomplete squad.
  • I do feel that a portion of our fanbase need to wake up and realise we are a league one side. People seem to expect us to be spending millions on household names.

SCMP means we can only spend 60% of turnover on wages. Sensibly this stops clubs paying way beyond their means unless they have a super rich owner who is happy to throw money at it at their own cost and not risking the future of the club.

Overall considering the limitations of being a league one club I think we have assembled a good squad that should be competing for the top 6 at a minimum. We can probably all agree our defence and midfield look stronger than the last few years, yes we need a couple of additions up top to give us options but one is almost through the door and we should sign another prior to the window closing.

It feels like a corner of our support will use any excuse to bash the club/owner. We are a third division side with a top end third division budget.

Myself, I am excited to see how we get on this season. BG will have us playing a good style of football and I am confident he will get us into the playoffs.
    Personally I am less convinced. And when respected pundits like the Not the top 20 podcast forecast us to finish 12th, that reinforces my concerns that against the other decent L1 sides, we are still lacking.
    How accurate were their predictions the season before?

They had us in 8th for last season.  Ahead of both Blackpool and Wigan...
    6th actually. Some right, a lot very wrong.

• I think 4th - 12th is honestly a fair assessment of our likely "range" of finishing positions this season.

That could change very quickly if we go out and sign Harry Kane and Heung Min Son. Or it can change in the other direction if both Stockley and Aneke get injured at the same time without adequate replacement.

But for now, assuming we go along this season without too much incident, I'll stick by 4th being the ceiling and 12th being the floor.
  • edited July 2022
    I mean, we finished 13th in a season where our striking options were Leko, Lee, Burstow and Kanu for a two month stretch ffs.

Things can't get any worse than that, can they?
  • edited July 2022
    I mean, we finished 13th in a season where our striking options were Leko, Lee, Burstow and Kanu for a two month stretch ffs.

To be fair the previous season we finished 7th when our center half options were Pratley and Gunter, for what felt like months...

So to complete the set we need 4 CMs injured at the same time next season, maybe that's why we have got 7?
  • I mean, we finished 13th in a season where our striking options were Leko, Lee, Burstow and Kanu for a two month stretch ffs.

Well if Aneke picks up an injury (injured last week) it leaves us with only Stockley as a senior striker for 46 games.
  • I do feel that a portion of our fanbase need to wake up and realise we are a league one side. People seem to expect us to be spending millions on household names.

SCMP means we can only spend 60% of turnover on wages. Sensibly this stops clubs paying way beyond their means unless they have a super rich owner who is happy to throw money at it at their own cost and not risking the future of the club.

Overall considering the limitations of being a league one club I think we have assembled a good squad that should be competing for the top 6 at a minimum. We can probably all agree our defence and midfield look stronger than the last few years, yes we need a couple of additions up top to give us options but one is almost through the door and we should sign another prior to the window closing.

It feels like a corner of our support will use any excuse to bash the club/owner. We are a third division side with a top end third division budget.

Myself, I am excited to see how we get on this season. BG will have us playing a good style of football and I am confident he will get us into the playoffs.
    Personally I am less convinced. And when respected pundits like the Not the top 20 podcast forecast us to finish 12th, that reinforces my concerns that against the other decent L1 sides, we are still lacking.

Indeed, so like fans on here they can make an informed decision on what they see (and are probably less susceptible to positive and negative confirmation bias), but on the whole for lower league football it is basically a lottery until we get into the season.

Which is why I am always so miffed why some people are so confident in their predictions on how the season will go. When in truth no one will really know until the first 10 games. 

Why on earth would you waste energy getting "miffed" about it?
  • edited July 2022
    The league is very much split into two groups of 12. One dozen will be hopeful of promotion, the others will likely be happy with another season in this league.

Of the 12 contenders, I'd bracket them like this:

1st to 8th: Sheff Wed, Ipswich, Peterborough, Bolton (something would go horribly wrong for them to not be top six)

4th to 12th: MK Dons, Barnsley, Portsmouth, Oxford, Derby, Charlton, Wycombe, Plymouth (dog fight between eight clubs for 2-4 additional places in the top six)
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2022

Well if Aneke picks up an injury (injured last week) it leaves us with only Stockley as a senior striker for 46 games.

I'm still confident that'll be addressed before the end of the window. But yes, if it's not addressed, we're leaving ourselves wide open for problems.
  • I think 4th - 12th is honestly a fair assessment of our likely "range" of finishing positions this season.

That could change very quickly if we go out and sign Harry Kane and Heung Min Son. Or it can change in the other direction if both Stockley and Aneke get injured at the same time without adequate replacement.

But for now, assuming we go along this season without too much incident, I'll stick by 4th being the ceiling and 12th being the floor.
    I think your floor is right, I think your ceiling is optimistic "as it stands".

I honestly think our squad has got back to the level it was at the end of the 2020/21 season. Lack of quality here, needs a bit of depth there.  With a fair wind, a bit more before the window slams shut and a cherry on the cake in January there is no reason we can't challenge at the right end. 
  • RC_CAFC said:
    For what it's worth, with a month to go, I think our transfer window so far has been pretty impressive
    really ??

lost 2 strikers that haven't been replaced
    lost a left footed left back that hasn't been replaced
    recruited 3 defenders, a defensive midfielder, a goalkeeper (that wasn't a priority) and 1 attacking midfielder.

In a team last year that didn't score enough goals to even get into the top half of the league. I understand you "build from the back" but goals win you games. 

Currently I would give the "rebuild" 5 out of 10. The squad itself about a 7 (and that's being generous)

We start our first game tomorrow with just 1 fit striker. If Stockley gets injured or sent off tomorrow we have big problems.

But I'm just a doom monger & everything will be alright once the transfer window closes on Sept 1st. 

Let’s decide that once it has closed.

The goalkeeping position was a priority. No way McG is able to effectively play the way we want to this year.
    I'd rather a goalkeeper be able to stop shots & catch crosses than be able to dribble the ball around an onrushing attacker, but hey ho. 
    So would I.
    Expecting goalkeepers to play the ball out at this level is hopeful to say the least. 

Indeed, so like fans on here they can make an informed decision on what they see (and are probably less susceptible to positive and negative confirmation bias), but on the whole for lower league football it is basically a lottery until we get into the season.

Which is why I am always so miffed why some people are so confident in their predictions on how the season will go. When in truth no one will really know until the first 10 games. 

What an unusual comment. What ‘energy’ am I wasting precisely? Or am I not allowed to have an emotional response to people views either positive or negative. 

Why an earth did you waste your energy responding to my comment?

• Cafc43v3r said:
    I think 4th - 12th is honestly a fair assessment of our likely "range" of finishing positions this season.

I think your floor is right, I think your ceiling is optimistic "as it stands".

I honestly think our squad has got back to the level it was at the end of the 2020/21 season. Lack of quality here, needs a bit of depth there.  With a fair wind, a bit more before the window slams shut and a cherry on the cake in January there is no reason we can't challenge at the right end. 
    Definitely assuming with my prediction that Garner gets the three signings he wants. No other striker or wide player comes in and I’ll downgrade the prediction to 6th - 14th.
  • RC_CAFC said:
    For what it's worth, with a month to go, I think our transfer window so far has been pretty impressive
    really ??

recruited 3 defenders, a defensive midfielder, a goalkeeper (that wasn't a priority) and 1 attacking midfielder.

In a team last year that didn't score enough goals to even get into the top half of the league. I understand you "build from the back" but goals win you games. 

Currently I would give the "rebuild" 5 out of 10. The squad itself about a 7 (and that's being generous)

We start our first game tomorrow with just 1 fit striker. If Stockley gets injured or sent off tomorrow we have big problems.

But I'm just a doom monger & everything will be alright once the transfer window closes on Sept 1st. 

The goalkeeping position was a priority. No way McG is able to effectively play the way we want to this year.
    I'd rather a goalkeeper be able to stop shots & catch crosses than be able to dribble the ball around an onrushing attacker, but hey ho. 
    I'd rather the goalkeeper can stop shots, catch crosses and be able to pass accurately to his own players and not just hoof it. Bearing in mind that on occasions you need to clear the ball quickly.

• edited July 2022

We're currently only 1 injury away from it being Leaburn and Kanu, but at least they are actually strikers.

I have no doubt that we'll add another striker before the window closes though.
  • The league is very much split into two groups of 12. One dozen will be hopeful of promotion, the others will likely be happy with another season in this league.

1st to 8th: Sheff Wed, Ipswich, Peterborough, Bolton (something would go horribly wrong for them to not be top six)

4th to 12th: MK Dons, Barnsley, Portsmouth, Oxford, Derby, Charlton, Wycombe, Plymouth (dog fight between eight clubs for 2-4 additional places in the top six)

Out of interest, why do you rate Bolton so much and ahead of Barnsley? Have they really strengthened this summer or something?
  • edited July 2022
    Croydon said:

We're currently only 1 injury away from it being Leaburn and Kanu, but at least they are actually strikers.

I have no doubt that we'll add another striker before the window closes though.
    We’re completely on the same page. Another striker and a winger is a must if we want a serious promotion challenge this season.

It’s still possible that we could sneak in with the current set up but that relies on a lot of fragile assumptions. That Stockley can make 40+ starts, that Leaburn is capable of stepping up and scoring half a dozen goals in his absence, that Payne, Fraser and Kirk all find their shooting boots in a Charlton shirt etc.

Having two more options gives us flexibility in case some of the above doesn’t work out as hoped.
  • Sponsored links:

• For what it's worth, with a month to go, I think our transfer window so far has been pretty impressive
    really ??

This has been repeated a few times but it's a bit of a red herring. We played with two strikers last season so we needed 5 in the squad ideally. Garner only plays with 1, so we need 3. We don't actually have to replace both the strikers we lost as we're not playing the same way. One more will do it.
    Remind me of that when all 3 are out either injured or suspended. Last season we had 5 strikers and in March that wasn't enough when Stockley, Washington & Aneke were all out injured. 

Its funny, because in a World Cup squad you find Countries will almost invariably take 3 goalkeepers when they might only be playing 3 or 4 games, and will be lacking players upfront (Look at the 2006 WC when Bent didn't go). This is a 46 game season & currently we might have just 1 senior striker available tomorrow if Aneke isn't fit. 

pfft.
  • RC_CAFC said:
    really ??

Macgillivray didn't catch crosses anyway so what you're actually saying is "a keeper was the priority, but I'm too busy moaning about a million other things to acknowledge that"
  • Jac_52 said:
    The league is very much split into two groups of 12. One dozen will be hopeful of promotion, the others will likely be happy with another season in this league.

Out of interest, why do you rate Bolton so much and ahead of Barnsley? Have they really strengthened this summer or something?
    Bolton would have gone up if the season started at Christmas last season IMO, they have got better every window for 2 seasons.  
  • edited July 2022
    Jac_52 said:

I really rate their manager and was very impressed by their team when we played up there in the spring time. A well drilled team but with quality sprinkled throughout.

In my opinion, they didn’t really need a bumper summer because what they brought in in January (Charles, Morley, Sadlier, Dempsey) had already taken them up to the level required.

Between 31st Jan and the end of the season they picked up 38 points from 19 games and haven’t let go of any of their better players. I can only see them going from strength to strength.

On the other hand, Barnsley may be worthy of being in the upper bracket. To be honest I have t paid them much attention.

I feel as though their recruitment badly let them down last summer, will they do better this year? Time will tell. On top of that, with Duff coming in, while I rate him highly, it’s going to be a tough season of transition for them.

For all those reasons, I don’t see Barnsley as too dissimilar to us.

What an unusual comment. What ‘energy’ am I wasting precisely? Or am I not allowed to have an emotional response to people views either positive or negative. 

Why an earth did you waste your energy responding to my comment?

People making confident predictions on a football forum?
    It's of no consequence, why get miffed?
    Please yourself
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    really ??

This has been repeated a few times but it's a bit of a red herring. We played with two strikers last season so we needed 5 in the squad ideally. Garner only plays with 1, so we need 3. We don't actually have to replace both the strikers we lost as we're not playing the same way. One more will do it.
    Even when we played 2 we only ever had 3 of Stockley, Washington, Davison-Ponytail and A&Eneke in the squad at anyone time. 
    Yep, and we suffered for that last season massively. Adkins started the season wanting to play one up front, and we could have done with a backup to Stockley given Adkins didn't fancy Washington as a striker but we didn't get one in. Then Jackson played two up front so we brought in Chuks but we were still short and when the injuries hit we were screwed. I hope that's addressed this season with a proper bit of first team competition for Stockley.
    But my point is we shipped Davison out as soon as we brought Aneke back so we aren't two strikers down, no matter how many times @golfaddick says it
  • Thought we are ment to be playing 433 not not 451 again 
  • If stockley is up on his own again garner will be gone by Christmas