Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• I'd start Gilbey. He is our best chance of midfield goals IMO.
    In what multiverse is that? Gilbey has scored 16 league goals in his last 5 seasons. He has 28 career goals in 318 games. Jack Payne has 57 in 333 and Scott Fraser has 51 in 306. Fraser and Payne both have around double the goals Gilbey does. Even JFC has 26 goals in 247 (2 fewer goals in 71 fewer games). Not only does Gilbey not suit the style we're playing he's never been a real goal threat and never scored more than 5 goals in a season. I'd love that to change but there's absolutely nothing indicating that he's the best chance of goals. He's not got that many more career goals than Sean Clare
    Interesting. Are you saying there are multiple multiverses?

😉
    Have you not watched the latest Doctor Strange documentary? 
  • ButtleJR said:
    Could equally be Forster-Caskey on the move... Rich doesnt mention an incoming
    Not sure it would be that as club have just posted a photo of him preparing for the weekend. 

"You're going to be on the bench this Saturday."
    "You won't even make the bench!"
    Many a true word said in jest...
  • I'd start Gilbey. He is our best chance of midfield goals IMO.
    In what multiverse is that? Gilbey has scored 16 league goals in his last 5 seasons. He has 28 career goals in 318 games. Jack Payne has 57 in 333 and Scott Fraser has 51 in 306. Fraser and Payne both have around double the goals Gilbey does. Even JFC has 26 goals in 247 (2 fewer goals in 71 fewer games). Not only does Gilbey not suit the style we're playing he's never been a real goal threat and never scored more than 5 goals in a season. I'd love that to change but there's absolutely nothing indicating that he's the best chance of goals. He's not got that many more career goals than Sean Clare
    I think he has goals in him and a good chance we will see it this season. Then you might understand it is in this multiverse.
  • we start another season with the squad smaller than last season and still needing crucial new players at left back, center back. Particularly one who is comfortable with the ball at his feet. Also we need two good experienced strikers who can play in Garners formation and can play 90 mins+ a game and not break down and be out for weeks. 
    Making up a load of academy players to the first team is not making up the numbers.
    This sounds like the start of last season.
    I am crossing every finger and toe that I am proved wrong.
  • msomerton said:
    we start another season with the squad smaller than last season and still needing crucial new players at left back, center back. Particularly one who is comfortable with the ball at his feet. Also we need two good experienced strikers who can play in Garners formation and can play 90 mins+ a game and not break down and be out for weeks. 
    Making up a load of academy players to the first team is not making up the numbers.
    Smaller squad ??? have you seen the subs bench today 
  • msomerton said:
    we start another season with the squad smaller than last season and still needing crucial new players at left back, center back. Particularly one who is comfortable with the ball at his feet. Also we need two good experienced strikers who can play in Garners formation and can play 90 mins+ a game and not break down and be out for weeks. 
    This years squad is far bigger than this time last year. We had Ghandour, Clayden etc on the bench. Even after further signings came in it included players like Watson and Souare who Jackson stopped using.
  • MacKirdy starts for Swindon today.
  • Sponsored links:

• JFC wasn’t on the bench today. Compare that to last season when Clayden was our only attacking option on the bench.
  • JFC wasn’t on the bench today. Compare that to last season when Clayden was our only attacking option on the bench.
    Has anyone got the line up from the first game last season ?
  • Yann897 said:
    JFC wasn’t on the bench today. Compare that to last season when Clayden was our only attacking option on the bench.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58036095
  • Apparent Nixon story tomorrow. Will probably be Rak-Sayki knowing the rate he moves at. 
  • edited July 2022
    Yann897 said:
    JFC wasn’t on the bench today. Compare that to last season when Clayden was our only attacking option on the bench.
    Sessegnon, CBT and the goalie the only real upgrades from that line-up
  • edited July 2022
    SDAddick said:
    msomerton said:
    The squad was far too big last season
    Had players like Matthews, Gunter, Castillo, Soure, and others I probably can't remember who weren't good enough. Had players who didn't fit the system. Started the season with youth players who weren't ready in the bench.

Our squad is much stronger this season. Even up front where we're still light, we're better. Need a left aided defender and probably two attackers. But this is a very solid squad, especially in midfield. 
    That midfield that got completely overrun and outchallenged for 45 minutes by Accrington today?
  • Southbank said:
    Yann897 said:
    Sessegnon, CBT and the goalie the only real upgrades from that line-up
    I’d say 4 positions are stronger but the overall squad is a huge difference and that’s without jfc Aneke or Egbo being on the bench, will be interesting to see who misses out once we bring another 2/3 really hope it’s some decent attackers and we could be on to something.
  • edited July 2022
    Jac_52 said:
    On the bright side we picked up zero points last season against Accy so we're basically infinitely better than we were.
    Picked up four points against them in 2018/19, so could equally claim to be on track
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm not sure the worth of comparing our side with that on the opening day of last season, as everyone knows that our squad then was awful, hence we started the season in relegation form.

The question isn't whether we are comparatively better, which obviously we are, but whether we are good enough to be genuine promotion contenders.

Personally I think our squad is really unbalanced. When have 3 midfielders on the bench, and can still leave JFC out completely, never mind youngsters like Henry, there's something wrong. 
  • I'm not sure the worth of comparing our side with that on the opening day of last season, as everyone knows that our squad then was awful, hence we started the season in relegation form.

The question isn't whether we are comparatively better, which obviously we are, but whether we are good enough to be genuine promotion contenders.

Personally I think our squad is really unbalanced. When have 3 midfielders on the bench, and can still leave JFC out completely, never mind youngsters like Henry, there's something wrong. 
    Agree on the question, I can see signs that point to us improving on last season, but like you I'm not sure if it'll be enough.

On the squad you're right, which is why one or two players are expected to move on. We were never going to miss out on signing McGrandles and Payne just because JFC or Gilbey were still here.
  • edited July 2022
    Southbank said:
    SDAddick said:
    msomerton said:
    The squad was far too big last season
    Had players like Matthews, Gunter, Castillo, Soure, and others I probably can't remember who weren't good enough. Had players who didn't fit the system. Started the season with youth players who weren't ready in the bench.

Our squad is much stronger this season. Even up front where we're still light, we're better. Need a left aided defender and probably two attackers. But this is a very solid squad, especially in midfield. 
    That midfield that got completely overrun and outchallenged for 45 minutes by Accrington today?
    I think it's very possible that as the season goes on, two out of those three, maybe all three, aren't considered our strongest starting midfield. I think JFC IF he stays (big if), McGrandles, and Payne might be the first choice three when the latter two are fully fit.

I don't think Morgan and Fraser matched up well against Accy away due to lack of physicality and defensive abilities, plus I don't think either has really shone for us up until now. But both were excellent in the first half breaking the lines and causing them fits, and that resulted in the goal. Dobbo is still adjusting to the system but he was our POTY last year. 

So yes, that midfield. 
  • edited July 2022
    I'm not sure the worth of comparing our side with that on the opening day of last season, as everyone knows that our squad then was awful, hence we started the season in relegation form.

Agreed, and it sounds like Gallen and Garner agree as both have talked about outgoings as well as incomings. I suspect at least one, maybe two of the central midfielders will leave. It'd be great if Henry could go to L2. I would personally much rather move Morgan on than JFC, but Garner doesn't seem to agree with me. I still feel like Morgan only does it in flashes.

I think we need another attacker, ideally two, and a left sided defender. Remember, the window doesn't close for another month. And a lot of Prem/Champ loan signings are done later in the window. So I'm not overly fussed. If on Sept 2 we haven't signed attack or defensive cover, then I'll worry. But right now I think we have the foundations and system for a promotion push. 
  • The only worry with waiting till the last few days of the window is that we have key matches against promotion rivals (Derby, Weds, Wycombe, Plymouth) before then. We’re gonna need to have a front 3 that operates a lot better than the front 3 did today if we’re gonna get a good return from these fixtures.

We drew our first game last season (with an almost identical front 3 that didn’t work) & then went on to have a disasterous month. Need to ensure we don’t give ourselves a mountain to climb again this year. 

• sam3110 said:
    I'd imagine McGrandles Fraser Payne is the ultimate first choice midfield in Garners eyes
    Agree with McGrandles and Payne - unless Payne plays further forward - as they're the players HE signed, but to me the 3rd spot is up for grabs
  • SDAddick said:
    I'm not sure the worth of comparing our side with that on the opening day of last season, as everyone knows that our squad then was awful, hence we started the season in relegation form.

Agreed, and it sounds like Gallen and Garner agree as both have talked about outgoings as well as incomings. I suspect at least one, maybe two of the central midfielders will leave. It'd be great if Henry could go to L2. I would personally much rather move Morgan on than JFC, but Garner doesn't seem to agree with me. I still feel like Morgan only does it in flashes.

I think we need another attacker, ideally two, and a left sided defender. Remember, the window doesn't close for another month. And a lot of Prem/Champ loan signings are done later in the window. So I'm not overly fussed. If on Sept 2 we haven't signed attack or defensive cover, then I'll worry. But right now I think we have the foundations and system for a promotion push. 
    JFC is by no means a guaranteed 1st team player but he won't play for the next few weeks.  Not because Garner doesn't like him.