Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    Obviously the striker requirement is key, think most agree with that.

However after Saturday I’m fairly concerned defensively.  I know it’s only the first game, and you can read into stats too much, but the expected goals data said the game should have ended 3-1.  And we did let them have an absurd amount of shots (albeit majority off target).
    It’s a funny thing how stats are so heavily relied upon,and yet so often don’t correspond to the actual results. So yes I’d say most definitely stats are read into too much, they never allow for the human aspect of things, which is why we keep watching the stupid game and why we are never 100% correct all the time.
    In this instance the human aspect (those that attended) did mention that we look likely to concede often.  Meaning we could be on the end of a severe hiding at some point.  
    I was eluding to decisions by humans on the pitch, refereeing decisions, players, managers , coaches etc. any team can be on the end of a hiding/ thumping win on any day, that’s football.
    Indeed, one off results are what make sport great, the idea that even the greatest can be beaten by the no hoper, that nothing is guaranteed.

Over the course of a season, things do even up though. The teams that regularly create plenty of good chances and don't let the opposition create many good chances will be near the top of the table.
  • Xg is the most useless stat in football 
    I think all stats are pretty useless to be honest... the only one that really matters is the score

All others just provide endless debates that dont really matter about a game
  • paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    Obviously the striker requirement is key, think most agree with that.

However after Saturday I’m fairly concerned defensively.  I know it’s only the first game, and you can read into stats too much, but the expected goals data said the game should have ended 3-1.  And we did let them have an absurd amount of shots (albeit majority off target).
    It’s a funny thing how stats are so heavily relied upon,and yet so often don’t correspond to the actual results. So yes I’d say most definitely stats are read into too much, they never allow for the human aspect of things, which is why we keep watching the stupid game and why we are never 100% correct all the time.
    In this instance the human aspect (those that attended) did mention that we look likely to concede often.  Meaning we could be on the end of a severe hiding at some point.  
    I was eluding to decisions by humans on the pitch, refereeing decisions, players, managers , coaches etc. any team can be on the end of a hiding/ thumping win on any day, that’s football.
    Indeed, one off results are what make sport great, the idea that even the greatest can be beaten by the no hoper, that nothing is guaranteed.

Over the course of a season, things do even up though. The teams that regularly create plenty of good chances and don't let the opposition create many good chances will be near the top of the table.
    Agreed, hope you are correct, I see us making chances but worry our forwards aren’t giong to finish those chances regularly enough, defensively, well we need to stay switched on more let’s put it that way.😬
  • edited August 2022
    Xg is the most useless stat in football 
    I'm pretty sure it's used a lot in elite football to analyse where the highest quality chances are being created from and where they are not. Not to mention the kinds of chances being conceded.
  • edited August 2022
    Saw this on Facebook, taken from McKirdy’s instagram.

• Chunes said:
    I'm pretty sure it's used a lot in elite football to analyse where the highest quality chances are being created from and where they are not.
    Of course it is, there’s analysts looking at this stuff week in week out the closer to the top you go, the more information the better I say, the hesitancy around modern technology which is designed to help is odd.  
  • Least it looks as though he's got rid of that silly Gareth Bale style haircut
  • jams said:
    For interest, I've heard that bishop went to Portsmouth for £500k
    That’s what you need to do to get a decent striker spend money. It really isn’t rocket science. 
  • PWR

116 new posts any actual rumours or just the endless waffle about everything and nothing?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2022
    jams said:
    For interest, I've heard that bishop went to Portsmouth for £500k
    That’s what you need to do to get a decent striker spend money. It really isn’t rocket science. 
    You mean a Striker who scored less than Stockley last season - Then again I think we paid that sort of money for Stockley last summer

Gonna have to spend a lot more than £500k for a 20-goal bloke
  • PWR

116 new posts any actual rumours or just the endless waffle about everything and nothing?
    While you’ve been gone we all took the opportunity to get together and agree how terrible everything is 😉
  • PWR

While you’ve been gone we all took the opportunity to get together and agree how terrible everything is 😉
    Except for me, who looks at things in a far too positive, happy clappy way, apparently!!😂😂😂
  • edited August 2022
    PWR

The latter of course, what do you expect from a rumours thread...rumours?...behave  :D:D😂😂
    Why?  It’s an indication that on another day we could have got spanked, so perhaps we could use this let off to tighten up.

Why the desperate need to ignore all the modern information technology at our disposal now.  
    I'm not sure how confirming you should've scored more goals but didn't is useful in any way. You could tell that from just watching the game
  • Need another Brown too
    Why?  It’s an indication that on another day we could have got spanked, so perhaps we could use this let off to tighten up.

Why the desperate need to ignore all the modern information technology at our disposal now.  
    I'm not sure how confirming you should've scored more goals but didn't is useful in any way. You could tell that from just watching the game
    That’s not what I said, I said about tightening up because we could have conceded more according to stats.

So have another go, why so desperate to ignore modern technology that’s designed to point out where you might go wrong in future fixtures?  
  • Sponsored links:

• We aren't called Athletic though, nor do we play in such a manner too.

It’s useful over a longer period for example it can show if good form is likely to continue due to ability or if it’ll come to an end eventually as it’s more down to luck.
  • Need another Brown too
    Got enough brown stuff already 
  • edited August 2022
    Chunes said:

More and more teams spend less time swinging in high crosses and shoot from range a lot less because they have been found to be low xG. It's why Man City spend most of their time getting to the byline and hitting those low crosses back across goal for a tap-in just like our first against Accrington because it's a much higher percentage play. 

So I'd argue it's not true to say it's the most useless stat in football, it has really changed the game. 

As a fan you might find it useless to know your team had more chances but still lost, I personally like the info. There's been a few times I've been surprised by the xG because I've been too caught up in the emotion of the match and thinking we are rubbish! Also gives you an indication of whether you have serious problems or you are actually playing well but just not finishing chances. 
    You’ve put it a lot better than I have.

But to add, if a manager has to prepare for the next fixture what’s more helpful?

a)Watching precious matches.
    b)Watching previous matches and analysing performance stats.  

Unless you’re bonkers you’re going with B.
  • Chunes said:

More and more teams spend less time swinging in high crosses and shoot from range a lot less because they have been found to be low xG. It's why Man City spend most of their time getting to the byline and hitting those low crosses back across goal for a tap-in just like our first against Accrington because it's a much higher percentage play. 

So I'd argue it's not true to say it's the most useless stat in football, it has really changed the game. 

As a fan you might find it useless to know your team had more chances but still lost, I personally like the info. There's been a few times I've been surprised by the xG because I've been too caught up in the emotion of the match and thinking we are rubbish! Also gives you an indication of whether you have serious problems or you are actually playing well but just not finishing chances. 
    No matter how many chances you create, if you consistently don't convert them then you do have serious problems, so I do not find that statistic very comforting!
  • edited August 2022
    Three clubs enquired about signing Kirk permanently - Blackpool, Reading and Hibs.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-winger-drawing-interest-from-three-clubs/
  • edited August 2022
    Chunes said:

No matter how many chances you create, if you consistently don't convert them then you do have serious problems, so I do not find that statistic very comforting!
    You would expect that if you created enough high quality chances over enough games, good players would start to convert. If not, I guess it would at least highlight the problem and problem players. Though our main striker was, on ratio, perhaps in the top 1-2 strikers in the league for missed chances last year and yet still remains popular. 

• Scoham said:
    Be surprised if he's here come September