Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Scoham said:
    Saw this on Facebook, taken from McKirdy’s instagram.

Also added this to his story:

Maybe I'm about to be whooshed here, but surprised more hasn't been made of these 2 pictures on this thread.  I'd say it's very likely Mckirdy is on his way.  Am I missing something??
    Is this a job for Mulder and Scully?
  • CafcSCP said:Donkeys N
    As we're clutching at straws...

Does that mean Tom Cannon is more likely to come to us now, as rumoured recently? If we're even in for him, that is.
    Dobbin is a bit of a donkey.
    Guess we’ll find out who’s got the donkeys on Saturday!😉
    Donkey Derby ?
    Can see the headline now “Stockley stars in Donkey Derby”
  • Scoham said:
    Saw this on Facebook, taken from McKirdy’s instagram.

Also added this to his story:

Maybe I'm about to be whooshed here, but surprised more hasn't been made of these 2 pictures on this thread.  I'd say it's very likely Mckirdy is on his way.  Am I missing something??
    Looks like he is signifying the letter E to me. Probably some sort of spoofing game
  • Redhenry said:
    Mcgrandles isn’t a DM. He said on signing for us, that he filled in there last season because of injuries
    Clare said he wasn’t a defender either .  
  • It seems like the rumours are becoming less and less now which may mean more is being done behind closed doors we just don’t know about, but it would also seem to imply the majority of the action will happen at the end of the window.  

I really don’t see how that is any different to last year if that’s the case.  The only difference being who we may bring in.  However, as with most of our deadline day action in recent years, it’s not been very inspiring 
  • Think this has turned into a grasping at straws thread 
  • Think this has turned into a grasping at straws thread 
    "Turned into" It always has been.   
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:
    It seems like the rumours are becoming less and less now which may mean more is being done behind closed doors we just don’t know about, but it would also seem to imply the majority of the action will happen at the end of the window.  

I really don’t see how that is any different to last year if that’s the case.  The only difference being who we may bring in.  However, as with most of our deadline day action in recent years, it’s not been very inspiring 
    Not sure how the majority of the action will happen towards the end of the window, when we got 6 players in before the season started, and the likelihood is we will be bringing in 3, maybe 4 more max I expect.

Wonder how many more clubs across the football league will be doing similar?
  • cabbles said:
    It seems like the rumours are becoming less and less now which may mean more is being done behind closed doors we just don’t know about, but it would also seem to imply the majority of the action will happen at the end of the window.  

No not really, it's how every single deal so far has happened. 
  • As with all transfer windows the proof of wheather they have been good or bad will be shown in the results. 

I think having a decent clear out was a good thing  apart from Washington who I would have kept. 

As for the players we have brought in they appear to be better than those who have left.

My main concern is that as things stand we are not good enough for promotion. 
    So any further signings will have to be very good. 
    A good point - I would have kept Washington and Purrington myself. Both areas where we are now hunting for a replacement when the season has already started. 
    I do not get the impression we are "hunting for a forward now Leaburn has turned pro, TS has always said a blend of youth and experience and with his goals in the friendlies and a goal on his debut I suspect he is happy with what we have now. 
  • We've got 3 1/2 weeks to go, Garner has said we need a few more, Sandgaard said he thought there would be more business at the end of the window. 

The business so far has been alright so far, couple more it'll be even better. 
  • Oggy Red said:
    This Palace lad is taking his time.

We should be signing one of McKirdy, McCormick or Izale McLeod.
    Why is Stockton messing us around?

And the LB cover ......... why wait for transfer deadline day to re-sign Ben Purrington?

Because we not made a bid for Stockton .. 
  • edited August 2022
    As with all transfer windows the proof of wheather they have been good or bad will be shown in the results. 

I think having a decent clear out was a good thing  apart from Washington who I would have kept. 

As for the players we have brought in they appear to be better than those who have left.

A good point - I would have kept Washington and Purrington myself. Both areas where we are now hunting for a replacement when the season has already started. 
    I do not get the impression we are "hunting for a forward now Leaburn has turned pro, TS has always said a blend of youth and experience and with his goals in the friendlies and a goal on his debut I suspect he is happy with what we have now. 
    Depends what type of forward you mean. Centre forward then yes it's highly unlikely we're desperately looking. But there is pretty much confirmed interest from us in Rak-Sakyi so we obviously are hunting for forwards who can play wide.
  • Sponsored links:

• As with all transfer windows the proof of wheather they have been good or bad will be shown in the results. 

You may be right - but I think it's likely that if we go through the whole season with only Aneke, Stockley and Leaburn as our 3 strikers, at one point the two senior players will inevitably be out for a few weeks at the same time, at which point we will have to rely on Leaburn alone - I think the kid's a great promise but I fear that would be a tall ask for a striker even of his stature.

If we spend a month or more of the season in that situation I think that could condemn our chances of play offs or promotion
  • cabbles said:

There’s been an obvious difference in that we’ve signed players to fit a style and with more coming in earlier than last year.

I expect our final few signings to be players that improve us, unlike Arter, Souare and Henderson.

Whether it’ll be enough for a genuine promotion challenge is the question, we will have a good idea of that over the next two months.
  • Oggy Red said:

And the LB cover ......... why wait for transfer deadline day to re-sign Ben Purrington?

Aaaaaaaargh!!!!
  • cabbles said:

Not sure how the majority of the action will happen towards the end of the window, when we got 6 players in before the season started, and the likelihood is we will be bringing in 3, maybe 4 more max I expect.

Wonder how many more clubs across the football league will be doing similar?
    Sorry, didn’t express myself clearly.  I meant the majority of what we bring in now, not overall.  I think we have made some useful additions so far, but I think we still need better.  If we get the remaining 2 or 3 on deadline day, we run the risk of repeating what we did last season.

I’m hopeful we will get better than Lee, Leko and Arter, but we want players in as early as possible to avoid the scramble.

• One question is whether we are in a better points position on deadline day. It’s a pretty low bar given we had four from five games last year (and lost the next two), but if we had ten or more from six then the later signings have a chance. 
    It also depends how fit the new signings are as well.  Last season only Lavelle had kicked a ball in anger and it showed.  Doing preseason in league games, in September, is never a good idea.
  • Oggy Red said:

It's also been a while since we bid for Izale McLeod. Do keep up Ronnie, please.