Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• If anything we seem slightly over stocked with RBs when compared to our LB options
    In hindsight, signing an out and out LB over Sessegnon would have made more sense. Depends on whether Garner thinks Egbo can do a job at LB, if he does we'll probably stick with the 3 we've got and have Clayden as 4th choice. If not, he's got a decision to make, would he be content if Sessegnon gets injured and we have to use Clayden for 10-15 games. 

The left-footed defender able to play LCB or LB makes sense on paper, but I don't really think that sort of player exists. You might get a LB capable of playing CB in a 3, or a CB capable of being a defensive LB, but how do you get a O'Connell and Sessegnon as one player?
    I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Egbo play at LB. We've already seen that Garner is quite happy having a LB who cuts in and contributes to the midfield shape. We all thought Egbo was there out of necessity in pre-season but it could well be that he was put there because we like a right footed LB cutting in
    Could be. I mean I definitely think Egbo was there out of necessity but it could be both. I wouldn't be shocked at all if we went with 3 FBs, and then 2 need to be able to play on each side. As we're stocked in CM it's possible JFC could get the odd game there too. 
  • CH4RLTON said:
    he’s 100% signing today 
    ‘Like’ magnet. 
  • edited August 2022
    thenewbie said:
    Jac_52 said:
    seth plum said:
    Henry and JRS would know about each other due to development football.

Not counting Ness (harshly criticised anyway) but Leaburn, Morgan, Henry and Clayden all played a part last night.
    Steve Avory was there and must’ve been pleased.

I predict there are other decent players who will emerge pretty soon.

What they will lack is experience of grown men playing professional football, but are already very experienced in football as a sport if that makes sense.

Albie Morgan was an eye catching player coming through and playing with and against his peers, he is still very young but his professional experience has added value.

We have others who can grow into the professional game similarly.

I don't think the criticism of Ness was harsh. He was torn to pieces at right back and also decided to try and become Madjid bougherra with an ill advised dribble out of defence. I am not writing him off by any means and hope to see a lot more of him at CB, but it is completely fair to say he wasn't good yesterday even if you can also lay the blame at Garner for throwing him to the wolves out of position.

With Egbo injured I think seeing if Ness is ready/able to provide cover at RB is actually fairly reasonable by the manager.

Sadly it seems the answer is "probably not" but at least we know and if necessary can potentially act in the window.
    I thought it was a mistake at the time. Chin was on the bench but then Ness chosen above him? Weird one for me 
    Not really, based on the pre seasons and the U23s last season. He’s normally a very reliable defender, but the odds were stacked against him yesterday, coming on against a Prem quality player at a time when QPR were really going for it. 
    We seem almost eager to write off our young players sometimes. 
    Speaking of which, I’m slightly less concerned about the left back slot after watching Clayden on Tuesday. 

• If anything we seem slightly over stocked with RBs when compared to our LB options
    In hindsight, signing an out and out LB over Sessegnon would have made more sense. Depends on whether Garner thinks Egbo can do a job at LB, if he does we'll probably stick with the 3 we've got and have Clayden as 4th choice. If not, he's got a decision to make, would he be content if Sessegnon gets injured and we have to use Clayden for 10-15 games. 

The left-footed defender able to play LCB or LB makes sense on paper, but I don't really think that sort of player exists. You might get a LB capable of playing CB in a 3, or a CB capable of being a defensive LB, but how do you get a O'Connell and Sessegnon as one player?
    It seems a bit odd if we end up with 3 options at LB in Sessegnon, Clayden and Egbo, all being of the "can do a job" variety.

And it looks a bit inconsistent to have a right footed LB cutting inside, but not have the same on the right seeing that all our RB options are right footers, Egbo, Clare and Sessegnon plus Ness who's been tried there.

A formation doesn’t need to be symmetrical. Probably harder to find a left footer comfortable at right back too.
  • JamesSeed said:
    thenewbie said:
    Jac_52 said:
    seth plum said:

Not counting Ness (harshly criticised anyway) but Leaburn, Morgan, Henry and Clayden all played a part last night.

What they will lack is experience of grown men playing professional football, but are already very experienced in football as a sport if that makes sense.

Albie Morgan was an eye catching player coming through and playing with and against his peers, he is still very young but his professional experience has added value.

I don't think the criticism of Ness was harsh. He was torn to pieces at right back and also decided to try and become Madjid bougherra with an ill advised dribble out of defence. I am not writing him off by any means and hope to see a lot more of him at CB, but it is completely fair to say he wasn't good yesterday even if you can also lay the blame at Garner for throwing him to the wolves out of position.

With Egbo injured I think seeing if Ness is ready/able to provide cover at RB is actually fairly reasonable by the manager.

Sadly it seems the answer is "probably not" but at least we know and if necessary can potentially act in the window.
    I thought it was a mistake at the time. Chin was on the bench but then Ness chosen above him? Weird one for me 
    Not really, based on the pre seasons and the U23s last season. He’s normally a very reliable defender, but the odds were stacked against him yesterday, coming on against a Prem quality player at a time when QPR were really going for it. 
    Speaking of which, I’m slightly less concerned about the left back slot after watching Clayden on Tuesday. 

Agreed on Clayden. He had an early mistake (think he basically fell over the ball) which I worried would knock a young players confidence but he really grew into the game and looked impressive. 
  • Scoham said:
    If anything we seem slightly over stocked with RBs when compared to our LB options

It seems a bit odd if we end up with 3 options at LB in Sessegnon, Clayden and Egbo, all being of the "can do a job" variety.

And it looks a bit inconsistent to have a right footed LB cutting inside, but not have the same on the right seeing that all our RB options are right footers, Egbo, Clare and Sessegnon plus Ness who's been tried there.

A formation doesn’t need to be symmetrical. Probably harder to find a left footer comfortable at right back too.
    Remember Wiggins in 11/12 playing right back, was awful.
  • Scoham said:
    If anything we seem slightly over stocked with RBs when compared to our LB options

I prefer having left footed players on their ‘natural’ side. I think that we will be better off if / when JRS signs because having two right footers on the left makes us too predictable. Kirk thrived when he had a left footed left back at Crewe.

Maybe after the other night Clayden could make a claim. Whilst I wouldn’t want to put too much pressure on him along with his impressive 30 second cameo against Mendez Lang I think we have something to work with.

Agreed. Personally I'd prefer Clayden went out on loan and we brought in a left-footed LB. But with Clare, Sessegnon and Egbo I can easily see Garner being comfortable with them three fighting it out. If funds are tight it's going to be down the list
    Think Clayden’s left footed. 
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:

Agreed. Personally I'd prefer Clayden went out on loan and we brought in a left-footed LB. But with Clare, Sessegnon and Egbo I can easily see Garner being comfortable with them three fighting it out. If funds are tight it's going to be down the list
    He is, but he’s not a left back. I thought he had a decent game Tuesday but was caught out of position a few times. Not sure I’d be comfortable with him for an extended run if Sessegnon was injured, especially if Kirk was in front of him. Having said that, I think Kirk would benefit from him in an attacking sense. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    thenewbie said:
    Jac_52 said:
    seth plum said:

We seem almost eager to write off our young players sometimes

Laughable - would you be going on like this if Lucas wasn’t mates with your son? 
  • JamesSeed said:

He is, but he’s not a left back. I thought he had a decent game Tuesday but was caught out of position a few times. Not sure I’d be comfortable with him for an extended run if Sessegnon was injured, especially if Kirk was in front of him. Having said that, I think Kirk would benefit from him in an attacking sense. 
    Being caught out of position a few times doesn’t mean his future isn’t at left back. Players make mistakes, especially younger ones adapting to first team football and learning a new position.

It’s similar with Clare, just because a player was labelled as a midfielder or winger earlier in their career it doesn’t mean it’s his best position.

If Clayden wants to play regularly at this level I think left back where his future is. I don’t see him being good enough in attack to play one of the wide forward roles. I also doubt we can bring in someone significantly better to be back up.
  • JamesSeed said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    he’s 100% signing today 
    ‘Like’ magnet. 
    ‘Lol’ magnet. 😅
  • Is this the formation thread?
  • Is this the formation thread?
    The military two step 
  • JamesSeed said:
    thenewbie said:
    Jac_52 said:
    seth plum said:

Seriously? We're one of the best clubs in the country at bringing through young players.

A lot of fans were saying AMB should be given a go. Leaburn is already on his way to being a cult hero like his dad. Most fans are itching to see what Kanu can do. 
  • Albie Morgan would like a word...

Gets the endless: "If he wasn't an Academy product, he'd have been long gone" treatment on here, whilst there are only a handful of posters who'll defend his performances - I mean, that one is literally one mistake away from every screaming: "Told you you", "We'll never get promoted with Albie"... Whilst any other mistakes from others in a game get pointed out as they happen, yet quickly get forgotten.

Mason Burstow too was fucking hilarious, the way opinion suddenly changed like a light switch at the end of the transfer window.

We'll support the kids, but only if we think they're good enough
    Only a personal opinion but I think Morgan always had/has more potential than Burstow, it’s just taken a while to being realised.

Gets the endless: "If he wasn't an Academy product, he'd have been long gone" treatment on here, whilst there are only a handful of posters who'll defend his performances - I mean, that one is literally one mistake away from every screaming: "Told you you", "We'll never get promoted with Albie"... Whilst any other mistakes from others in a game get pointed out as they happen, yet quickly get forgotten.

Mason Burstow too was fucking hilarious, the way opinion suddenly changed like a light switch at the end of the transfer window.

Only a personal opinion but I think Morgan always had/has more potential than Burstow, it’s just taken a while to being realised.
    Not sure... I'm undecided on Burstow now after Chelsea have opted to keep him, rather than loan him out because of the coaching he apparently needs - I think if he listens to those around him (which by the sounds of things, he did with us), then I think he could become a decent player.

He showed with us that he's got that instinct of knowing where the goal is.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2022
    I love the thought of a fake Transfer Rumour twitter account owner having a mini wank right now, celebrating that they've actually gotten something right - Even though the signs pretty much were already there anyway
  • Heard it all before.....

WIOTOS
  • JamesSeed said:

It’s the trade off - someone that contributes well to the attack like Sessegnon or Clayden or a blocker .  I prefer the former - you don’t find many Chris Powell figures that could do both in league 1

If it's felt a player isn't good enough then fans will give their opinion. Doesn't matter if that player is from the academy like Morgan, or someone we signed like Gilbey.
  • edited August 2022
    Albie Morgan would like a word...

If it's felt a player isn't good enough then fans will give their opinion. Doesn't matter if that player is from the academy like Morgan, or someone we signed like Gilbey.
    Oh god yeah... I just feel that sometimes, an Academy player will get a lot less leeway, because people dont want it to almost look like favouritism - Like I say Albie and Mason (can argue he wasnt a Charlton player after January, but he was still an Academy graduate, so treat him the same as I do Joe Gomez etc.) are perfect examples of that recently.
  • Nonsense Twitter rumour that we’re after a holding midfielder. Saying that didn’t someone on here say we wanted cover for Dobson?
  • edited August 2022
    Scoham said:
    Nonsense Twitter rumour that we’re after a holding midfielder. Saying that didn’t someone on here say we wanted cover for Dobson?
    If a name gets mentioned... HIM THATS HIM... I GOT IT RIGHT
    If a name doesnt get mentioned... Oh well, must have fallen through
  • Maybe the delay has been Palace seeking financial security that he receives more first team minutes than Nile John?

We have not been a great advert for youthful PL loans of very late.