Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Morgan Fox might be available 👀
    This might be an even more powerful Returning King vibe than Naby. Just think of the abuse from the Covered End!
  • Leuth said:
    Morgan Fox might be available 👀
    This might be an even more powerful Returning King vibe than Naby. Just think of the abuse from the Covered End!
    Bet Morgan is praying it happens, someone else can take half the weight of the scapegoating ;)

@bobmunro, waiting for you to confirm or deny this one
  • Leuth said:
    Bet Morgan is praying it happens, someone else can take half the weight of the scapegoating ;)

No comment.
  • edited August 2022
    bobmunro said:
    Leuth said:

No comment.
    I meant was the rumour true, not the bit about the shared scapegoating ;)
  • Richard J said:
    Scoham said:
    If anything we seem slightly over stocked with RBs when compared to our LB options
    In hindsight, signing an out and out LB over Sessegnon would have made more sense. Depends on whether Garner thinks Egbo can do a job at LB, if he does we'll probably stick with the 3 we've got and have Clayden as 4th choice. If not, he's got a decision to make, would he be content if Sessegnon gets injured and we have to use Clayden for 10-15 games. 

The left-footed defender able to play LCB or LB makes sense on paper, but I don't really think that sort of player exists. You might get a LB capable of playing CB in a 3, or a CB capable of being a defensive LB, but how do you get a O'Connell and Sessegnon as one player?
    It seems a bit odd if we end up with 3 options at LB in Sessegnon, Clayden and Egbo, all being of the "can do a job" variety.

And it looks a bit inconsistent to have a right footed LB cutting inside, but not have the same on the right seeing that all our RB options are right footers, Egbo, Clare and Sessegnon plus Ness who's been tried there.

A formation doesn’t need to be symmetrical. Probably harder to find a left footer comfortable at right back too.
    I prefer having left footed players on their ‘natural’ side. I think that we will be better off if / when JRS signs because having two right footers on the left makes us too predictable. Kirk thrived when he had a left footed left back at Crewe.

Maybe after the other night Clayden could make a claim. Whilst I wouldn’t want to put too much pressure on him along with his impressive 30 second cameo against Mendez Lang I think we have something to work with.
    It doesn't make a team predictable as long as the players are being asked to do different jobs. City won a league title playing Grealish and Cancelo on the left and they're both right footed. They were far from predictable though; Cancelo moved into central midfield in periods of control and also arrived in the final third to provide a crossing platform for built-up moves. Grealish would push down the wing but also cut in, but he'd vary it which is important for a player in that spot. We've seen that Kirk is clever enough to know when to push down the line or cut inside and he keeps the width well. CBT is also very capable of providing width and then cutting in when he's built up some momentum. I know that we're not Man City but the instructions we will be giving the players aren't complicated. As long as the players are sufficiently comfortable on their assigned flank, which all three of our current options in those areas currently are, being able provide both line and inside play actually makes the team less predictable, not more.
    I'm pretty sure that Rak-SAkyi is being signed to play on the right as a left-footer as well.
    Last season they regularly used Zinchenko at LB, giving the left foot attacking threat down that side
    There' a few things there. Firstly, Zinchenko didn't bring any threat. He's a painfully average midfielder played as a LB because City didn't have any other backup. City do have the luxury of rotating their players regularly though. Despite that, no player made more appearances for City last season than Cancelo. He played 52 games, 36 in the league. Zinchenko made 28 appearances, 15 in the league. Most of Zinchenko's appearances were purely down to the absence of Kyle Walker (only 20 league appearances due to injury), at which point Cancelo would switch to RB. City under Guardiola rarely play the same way for too long, they have a huge amount of tactical flexibility. Mostly though your comment isn't really relevant anyway considering I never said they didn't ever play with left-footed LBs, I was pointing out how having two right footers on the left doesn't have to limit your tactical flexibility using City as an example of it done very well.
    I’m hoping a left sided defender means a left sided centre back rather than a left back.
  • Scoham said:
    I’m hoping a left sided defender means a left sided centre back rather than a left back.
    Fox can play there! But yes. 
  • Leuth said:
    Scoham said:
    Fox can play there! But yes. 
    I wouldn’t want him there as a regular option and we should be looking to improve our team, not bring in squad players to play out of position. He’s also not the right type of left back for the system.

We had a similar player in Purrington so I can’t see it happening.
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    I’d rather 7/10 Ben than him !
  • MattF said:
    Scoham said:
    Nonsense Twitter rumour that we’re after a holding midfielder. Saying that didn’t someone on here say we wanted cover for Dobson?
    Welcome back Ben Watson
    Why do we need a holding midfielder ? 

Because we are selling one?
  • Has Rishi signed yet? 
  • Also sounds like another player is not a million miles away from happening, probably next week though.
    Any idea on the position? 

Left-sided defender.

He's coming home,
    He's coming home,
    He's coming,
    Naby's coming home

Funnily enough exactly the same turning circle.
  • MrBurns said:
    Has Rishi signed yet? 
    too busy on the hustings
  • chev said:
    We'll definitely have goals in Midfield now

Fraser has achieved 14-goals in a season | Payne has achieved 13-goals on top of those Rak-Sakyi got last season.

Watch all three score a combined five goals now 
  • I'm surprised its taken this long for him to announce it.

Didnt we confirm he'd be leaving long before the season ended?
  • Sponsored links:

• https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news-rak-sakyi-charlton-crystal-palace-b1018010.html

“The Addicks are set beat off competition from Birmingham, Cardiff, Derby, Lincoln and Oxford to sign the 19-year-old. Palace will also see him renew his contract until 2025.

The move represents a coup for Charlton after his stunning 19 goal season in PL2 last year.

Rak-Sakyi, who made his Premier League debut last term, completed his medical on Thursday morning.”

• What time will the announcement be? I’ll guess 5pm today.
  • edited August 2022
    Scoham said:
    What time will the announcement be? I’ll guess 5pm today.
    Not too fussed if it’s announced tonight. As long as it’s before midday tomorrow so he can be involved at the weekend…
  • Scoham said:
    Tuesday 11:15
  • Scoham said:
    Not too fussed if it’s announced tonight. As long as it’s before midday tomorrow so he can be involved at the weekend…
    In true Charlton fashion he will have to be Charltonised for a couple of weeks.  Have we EVER just plonked people in the squad on signing?  I am sure a few on here have that information in their locker.
  • edited August 2022
    Scoham said:
    In true Charlton fashion he will have to be Charltonised for a couple of weeks.  Have we EVER just plonked people in the squad on signing?  I am sure a few on here have that information in their locker.
    Golfie will point out we have not.

And it does feel right. But that might be the norm for all I know.