Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Scoham said:
    Gallen says one or two more could come in and one or two could go. I hope it’s a striker and a centre back (ideally left sided) we’re after. I have more confidence in Clayden stepping up than Ness, it’s easier for a young full back to come in and I don’t like the idea of Inniss being one of only three senior CBs.
    Completely agree about Inniss being one of three, huge risk. Feel LB could still be strengthened though, whilst you’re right it is easier for a young LB to come in, Clayden isn’t a LB. 
    He is a left back
  • Another zippy forward in. Starting to make Stockley look even less of a fit for the players we have. Will still support him fully.
  • If Tyreece Simpson is so good why are Ipswich selling him? Genuine question. 
    He’s refusing to sign a new deal.

Hasn't played since he was recalled in January either.. seems a weird one. From a quick YouTube glimpse looks like he'd be decent. Looks mobile but still strong.
  • edited August 2022
    Scoham said:
    JamesSeed said:
    If anything we seem slightly over stocked with RBs when compared to our LB options
    In hindsight, signing an out and out LB over Sessegnon would have made more sense. Depends on whether Garner thinks Egbo can do a job at LB, if he does we'll probably stick with the 3 we've got and have Clayden as 4th choice. If not, he's got a decision to make, would he be content if Sessegnon gets injured and we have to use Clayden for 10-15 games. 

The left-footed defender able to play LCB or LB makes sense on paper, but I don't really think that sort of player exists. You might get a LB capable of playing CB in a 3, or a CB capable of being a defensive LB, but how do you get a O'Connell and Sessegnon as one player?
    It seems a bit odd if we end up with 3 options at LB in Sessegnon, Clayden and Egbo, all being of the "can do a job" variety.

And it looks a bit inconsistent to have a right footed LB cutting inside, but not have the same on the right seeing that all our RB options are right footers, Egbo, Clare and Sessegnon plus Ness who's been tried there.

Agreed. Personally I'd prefer Clayden went out on loan and we brought in a left-footed LB. But with Clare, Sessegnon and Egbo I can easily see Garner being comfortable with them three fighting it out. If funds are tight it's going to be down the list
    Think Clayden’s left footed. 
    He is, but he’s not a left back. I thought he had a decent game Tuesday but was caught out of position a few times. Not sure I’d be comfortable with him for an extended run if Sessegnon was injured, especially if Kirk was in front of him. Having said that, I think Kirk would benefit from him in an attacking sense. 
    Being caught out of position a few times doesn’t mean his future isn’t at left back. Players make mistakes, especially younger ones adapting to first team football and learning a new position.

It’s similar with Clare, just because a player was labelled as a midfielder or winger earlier in their career it doesn’t mean it’s his best position.

If Clayden wants to play regularly at this level I think left back where his future is. I don’t see him being good enough in attack to play one of the wide forward roles. I also doubt we can bring in someone significantly better to be back up.
    No it doesn’t mean his future isn’t at left back, nor does playing there a couple of times mean it is. He done reasonably well the other night but when you think about what he done well, it was the attacking play and not the defensive side. I accept modern day full backs need to be good going forward so I’m not writing him off.

Personally I feel he looks like a wing back and I’d be slightly worried defensively if him and Kirk were playing down the left together. Ultimately, if Garner has seen enough of him to be the back up LB that’s good enough for me. But I want him to be there cos he’s good enough and not because our squad is too thin or budget too small. 
  • Sambcafc said:
    Scoham said:
    Gallen says one or two more could come in and one or two could go. I hope it’s a striker and a centre back (ideally left sided) we’re after. I have more confidence in Clayden stepping up than Ness, it’s easier for a young full back to come in and I don’t like the idea of Inniss being one of only three senior CBs.
    Completely agree about Inniss being one of three, huge risk. Feel LB could still be strengthened though, whilst you’re right it is easier for a young LB to come in, Clayden isn’t a LB. 
    He is a left back
    No he’s not. He’s only started playing there recently, always played further forward. 
  • I'm not one normally to comment on players, formations, what to expect of the new season etc. However, for the first time in years I actually feel really optimistic about the new season, slowly but surely each piece of the jigsaw is slowly coming together, I have the feeling we have a proper team in the making.

COYA

If not this season then next. Building blocks for the future.
    Permanent signings rather than 5 loan players.
    Dobson Clare and some won’t agree but Stockley were the start of the solid signings.
  • edited August 2022
    Biggest missing element is a left hoofed centre back. It's not strictly O'Connell that has made us vulnerable, it's the fact it is easy to press a right footer on the left hand side when playing out.
  • edited August 2022
    Biggest missing element is a left hoofed centre back. It's not strictly O'Connell that has made us vulnerable, it's the fact it is easy to press a right footer on the left hand side when playing out.
    Make your mind up, are we hoofing it or playing out! 
  • I just don’t see us signing Simpson. It would effectively mean Aneke doesn’t get in the squad when he’s fit and that would mean accepting it was a terrible idea to sign him (which it clearly was)
  • Sponsored links:

• Smithy said:
    I just don’t see us signing Simpson. It would effectively mean Aneke doesn’t get in the squad when he’s fit and that would mean accepting it was a terrible idea to sign him (which it clearly was)
    There is your answer. Even when he is fit again, it’s just a matter of time before he breaks down. 
  • Smithy said:
    I just don’t see us signing Simpson. It would effectively mean Aneke doesn’t get in the squad when he’s fit and that would mean accepting it was a terrible idea to sign him (which it clearly was)
    Surely that's better than NOT accepting it and just putting metaphorical fingers in ears about the whole thing? Aneke will be situationally useful but pragmatically, you just can't count on him definitely bring available so an alternative (such as Simpson) is not only sensible but near enough essential.
  • edited August 2022
    Barton in the press slagging off that Trevor Clarke lad again 😬

https://extra.ie/2022/08/09/sport/soccernews/joey-barton-trevor-clarke
  • I've had to skip 6 pages, any genuine rumours at the moment?
    Wont be surprised if any other signings come out of the blue

Realistically, its only Payne | Rak-Sakyi out of the seven incomings that we ever knew about before they happened.
  • edited August 2022
    Chunes said:
    Tyreece Simpson would be the icing on the cake and I think he'd end up being our first choice striker. He's strong, quick, he can hold it up and take players on and he can lay chances on for others as well as finish. Good all-round, mobile player which is what we need up top. 
    Can’t see us having Stockley, Simpson, Aneke, and Leaburn fighting for one spot.
  • Sponsored links:

Yes, there’s rumours that this thread talks a load of ol’ bollox!
  • thenewbie said:
    Smithy said:
    Surely that's better than NOT accepting it and just putting metaphorical fingers in ears about the whole thing? Aneke will be situationally useful but pragmatically, you just can't count on him definitely bring available so an alternative (such as Simpson) is not only sensible but near enough essential.
    Of course it is. But will it happen? 
  • edited August 2022
    sam3110 said:
    Chunes said:
    Tyreece Simpson would be the icing on the cake and I think he'd end up being our first choice striker. He's strong, quick, he can hold it up and take players on and he can lay chances on for others as well as finish. Good all-round, mobile player which is what we need up top. 
    Can’t see us having Stockley, Simpson, Aneke, and Leaburn fighting for one spot.
    Aneke will be permacrocked and Leaburn will be used wide as much as through the middle
    Which is why it was naive to resign Aneke. I just can’t see us paying Stockley, Simpson and Aneke when only one will play at a time. 

I think we’re done for strikers.
  • Quote from a Swindon site 

Maybe not with the norm but I am not over excited by the #STFC Tyreece Simpson rumours, good player but the fact he hasn't played since January: feels like we would be taking a huge risk paying a lot of money for a player who will not be fit for a while.
  • I’m sure there will be people that disagree with me but if the rest of our window went like this, I can not see it being anything other than a FANTASTIC window;

INS
    - Tyreece SIMPSON (Permanent) from IPSWICH
    - Conor COVENTRY (SLL) from WEST HAM
    - Covering LB (SLL) 
    - Covering CB (SLL)

OUT
    - HENRY (LOAN)
    - 1 of GILBEY/JFC (LOANED out till JAN…Reassess CM options in JAN for 2nd half of the season)

Me personally and this is only my opinion but I would loan out JFC and keep GILBEY.

1) I feel GILBEY is more suited to Garner’s system

2) JFC’s Knee issues causes me concern, that’s X2 knee injuries, some players are never the same after 1 Knee injury let alone 2, so loaning JFC out give us the protection of keeping our squad strong and then the option to reassess JFC for 2nd half of the season and whether or not his knees hold up and he is the same player, we’ve always had.

• I’m worried about Stockley’s back problem, which can’t help with his mobility (not that mobility is really his bag). Chuks is best deployed from the bench and we don’t want to stunt Miles Leaburn’s development by overplaying him. 

Given the doubts about the fitness of our two main strikers, I really do think we need another in before the window closes. It’s a long, tough season and we can’t afford to be caught short handed like last season.
  • edited August 2022
    I’m sure there will be people that disagree with me but if the rest of our window went like this, I can not see it being anything other than a FANTASTIC window;

INS
    - Tyreece SIMPSON (Permanent) from IPSWICH
    - Conor COVENTRY (SLL) from WEST HAM
    - Covering LB (SLL) 
    - Covering CB (SLL)

OUT
    - HENRY (LOAN)
    - 1 of GILBEY/JFC (LOANED out till JAN…Reassess CM options in JAN for 2nd half of the season)

Me personally and this is only my opinion but I would loan out JFC and keep GILBEY.

1) I feel GILBEY is more suited to Garner’s system

2) JFC’s Knee issues causes me concern, that’s X2 knee injuries, some players are never the same after 1 Knee injury let alone 2, so loaning JFC out give us the protection of keeping our squad strong and then the option to reassess JFC for 2nd half of the season and whether or not his knees hold up and he is the same player, we’ve always had.

That is unlikely to happen.

I see us bringing in two more loans at absolute most with one or two leaving.

I don't think we will sign any fee agents, not this late in the window especially as its not financially viable in terms of wages and getting them up to speed.