Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Aneke can also play behind the striker and will be different to any other players who play in a similar position.

Do we wish he could play more? Obviously, he is a good player regardless of fitness issues. 

He certainly adds quality to the team. 
    I think he could also play wide in this system.

Personally I don't think we will get another striker before January.
  • I've had to skip 6 pages, any genuine rumours at the moment?
    Yes, there’s rumours that this thread talks a load of ol’ bollox!
    You must be ITK.
  • Smithy said:
    thenewbie said:
    Smithy said:
    I just don’t see us signing Simpson. It would effectively mean Aneke doesn’t get in the squad when he’s fit and that would mean accepting it was a terrible idea to sign him (which it clearly was)
    Surely that's better than NOT accepting it and just putting metaphorical fingers in ears about the whole thing? Aneke will be situationally useful but pragmatically, you just can't count on him definitely bring available so an alternative (such as Simpson) is not only sensible but near enough essential.
    Of course it is. But will it happen? 
    I think it might. There does seem to have been some lessons learned this season, the way we seem to have been targeting players specifically to fit the manager's favoured system for example and for the first time in a while there is actual depth in (parts of) the squad.

So I wouldn't rule out another striker entirely though I won't pretend to have any clue if that's likely to be Simpson or another.
  • Simpson isn’t anywhere near the finished article. I suspect Ipswich want way to much money for a club like Charlton to purchase potential. 
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Smithy said:
    I just don’t see us signing Simpson. It would effectively mean Aneke doesn’t get in the squad when he’s fit and that would mean accepting it was a terrible idea to sign him (which it clearly was)
    Don’t see it like that. If fit, there is no better substitute than Aneke in this league. He is also someone you can bring on to support another striker.

He just bullies tired defences. Signing another striker does not make him redundant.
    I am a big fan of him as a player and there's no doubt he can have a huge impact when he's fit. My point is he is probably a high earner and we paid a fee for him, so with our current forward options I don't think we'll get anyone else in. I'd love to be wrong though.
  • Smithy said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Smithy said:
    Don’t see it like that. If fit, there is no better substitute than Aneke in this league. He is also someone you can bring on to support another striker.

He just bullies tired defences. Signing another striker does not make him redundant.
    I am a big fan of him as a player and there's no doubt he can have a huge impact when he's fit. My point is he is probably a high earner and we paid a fee for him, so with our current forward options I don't think we'll get anyone else in. I'd love to be wrong though.
    His 3.5 year contract might suggest he took a lower wage in order to have the security of a long contract.
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Gallen says one or two more could come in and one or two could go. I hope it’s a striker and a centre back (ideally left sided) we’re after. I have more confidence in Clayden stepping up than Ness, it’s easier for a young full back to come in and I don’t like the idea of Inniss being one of only three senior CBs.
    Completely agree about Inniss being one of three, huge risk. Feel LB could still be strengthened though, whilst you’re right it is easier for a young LB to come in, Clayden isn’t a LB. 
    Have commented on this before but maybe he is and he’s finally found his best position? He has the pace we want in that position and isn’t good enough to challenge for a place in the front three.
    Fair and it’s possible. Although I think it’s more likely he’s being played there out of necessity. Not a position I’d necessarily panic and rule the season over but ideally I’d bring another in. 
    We have the front wide players sorted (it seems) midfield seems done & we still need a decent nippy striker who fits into our "new" formation. It would be a nonsense if we were just going to make do with square pegs in round holes at the back &/or untested youngsters for cover at CB. Hopefully we're still working on this.
  • Chunes said:
    Tyreece Simpson would be the icing on the cake and I think he'd end up being our first choice striker. He's strong, quick, he can hold it up and take players on and he can lay chances on for others as well as finish. Good all-round, mobile player which is what we need up top. 
    that sounds like exactly the sort of player we need if playing as a lone striker 
  • Chunes said:
    Tyreece Simpson would be the icing on the cake and I think he'd end up being our first choice striker. He's strong, quick, he can hold it up and take players on and he can lay chances on for others as well as finish. Good all-round, mobile player which is what we need up top. 
    Can’t see us having Stockley, Simpson, Aneke, and Leaburn fighting for one spot.
    Stockley is probably the only one who can only play in the centre forward position though  
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Gallen says one or two more could come in and one or two could go. I hope it’s a striker and a centre back (ideally left sided) we’re after. I have more confidence in Clayden stepping up than Ness, it’s easier for a young full back to come in and I don’t like the idea of Inniss being one of only three senior CBs.
    Completely agree about Inniss being one of three, huge risk. Feel LB could still be strengthened though, whilst you’re right it is easier for a young LB to come in, Clayden isn’t a LB. 
    Have commented on this before but maybe he is and he’s finally found his best position? He has the pace we want in that position and isn’t good enough to challenge for a place in the front three.
    Fair and it’s possible. Although I think it’s more likely he’s being played there out of necessity. Not a position I’d necessarily panic and rule the season over but ideally I’d bring another in. 
    We have the front wide players sorted (it seems) midfield seems done & we still need a decent nippy striker who fits into our "new" formation. It would be a nonsense if we were just going to make do with square pegs in round holes at the back &/or untested youngsters for cover at CB. Hopefully we're still working on this.
    "small nippy strikers" are unlikely to fit into the system to be honest (as a lone striker). I think our best bet is bringing someone in who can play anyway across the front line. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    Can’t see us having Stockley, Simpson, Aneke, and Leaburn fighting for one spot.
    Those 2 will be able to play out wide when needed with injuries, rotation etc.
  • Dizzle said:
    Barton in the press slagging off that Trevor Clarke lad again 😬

https://extra.ie/2022/08/09/sport/soccernews/joey-barton-trevor-clarke
    Barton has been there 18 months. He signed the guy last summer, gave him a new 2 year deal just a couple of months ago and even played him in their first league game of this season.

How on earth do you see the guy day in day out for an entire year, decide he's worth a new deal and then just a few weeks later, decide he is hopeless and you don't trust him? Very strange.
  • sam3110 said:
    Chunes said:
    Aneke will be permacrocked and Leaburn will be used wide as much as through the middle
    Which is why it was naive to resign Aneke. I just can’t see us paying Stockley, Simpson and Aneke when only one will play at a time. 

I think we’re done for strikers.
    Perhaps with hindsight. 

Aneke was signed to play in 3-5-2 system. That's now changed. It seems we're not going to play that way this season.

And obviously his role was to be impact sub, a game changer, scoring late goals.
    Maybe he still will do that.

• Blucher said:
    I’m worried about Stockley’s back problem, which can’t help with his mobility (not that mobility is really his bag). Chuks is best deployed from the bench and we don’t want to stunt Miles Leaburn’s development by overplaying him. 

Given the doubts about the fitness of our two main strikers, I really do think we need another in before the window closes. It’s a long, tough season and we can’t afford to be caught short handed like last season.
    Plus 5 subs permitted. That's going to make the bench players even more valuable.
    We need to ensure we have our strongest starting XI; and our strongest finishing XI.

We still can't be certain Stockley is fully recovered - or even playing with the injury and could break down again.
    Even if he's fit enough, he shouldn't be overplayed if there's any lingering doubts.

And yes, Leaburn is still only 18. He's showing great promise but of course he's not yet the finished article.
    We're meant to be developing him rather than expecting a ready made player. We need to build his confidence and experience gradually. 
    In the long run, that's best for the player and his impact upon the team. 

• Dizzle said:

Barton has been there 18 months. He signed the guy last summer, gave him a new 2 year deal just a couple of months ago and even played him in their first league game of this season.

How on earth do you see the guy day in day out for an entire year, decide he's worth a new deal and then just a few weeks later, decide he is hopeless and you don't trust him? Very strange.
    To be fair this is the twat who assaulted a team mate during training, and stubbed a cigar out on the eye of a Youth Team player - He's done a decentish job in the lower reaches of the EFL as a Manager. but still find it ironic how he bemoans player behaviour like this, which you cant even begin to compare.

I wonder if he's been told as much by any players he's fallen out with
  • Chunes said:
    Is Aneke even considered for the starting spot? And looking at how he was used in pre-season by Garner and how we set up second half vs derby and against QPR in more of a 4-2-3-1, Garner might be planning on using Aneke behind one of the strikers more than as the 1 up front 
  • a mobile centre forward is the priority now - offloading any of jfc, gilbey, kirk or dj - morgan probably isn't costing much so may as well keep hold - centre back and lb also in ideally but i'm talking about a centre forward to upgrade our best 11
  • Smithy said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Smithy said:

I agree 100% that if we do not sign anyone else, he can’t be relied upon to be that support act to Stockley. I feel we need someone else. And I think Garner does too. 

But if we do sign someone else and he is only really used off the bench, I think he could be a really important part of the season. His injuries happen when he’s played from the start too often. When he’s only come on and made impacts from the bench, his injury track record for us has been ok.
  • Dizzle said:

To be fair this is the twat who assaulted a team mate during training, and stubbed a cigar out on the eye of a Youth Team player - He's done a decentish job in the lower reaches of the EFL as a Manager. but still find it ironic how he bemoans player behaviour like this, which you cant even begin to compare.

I wonder if he's been told as much by any players he's fallen out with
    Well whilst i'm sure Clarke isn't exactly a top level player, there must be more to it. They must've had a row and this is Barton's way of dealing with him.

Because you can't have the player for a year, give him a new deal in June and then suddenly in August decide he's shit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:
    sam3110 said:
    Chunes said:
    Aneke will be permacrocked and Leaburn will be used wide as much as through the middle
    Which is why it was naive to resign Aneke. I just can’t see us paying Stockley, Simpson and Aneke when only one will play at a time. 

I think we’re done for strikers.
    Perhaps with hindsight. 

Aneke was signed to play in 3-5-2 system. That's now changed. It seems we're not going to play that way this season.

And obviously his role was to be impact sub, a game changer, scoring late goals.
    Maybe he still will do that.

I don’t think he was signed for any one formation or manager. I wouldn’t say it’s a case of hindsight, you don’t have to be a soothsayer to predict he will spend the majority of his time in the treatment room.
  • edited August 2022
    NabySarr said:
    Chunes said:
    Is Aneke even considered for the starting spot? And looking at how he was used in pre-season by Garner and how we set up second half vs derby and against QPR in more of a 4-2-3-1, Garner might be planning on using Aneke behind one of the strikers more than as the 1 up front 
    I just don’t see room for another striker, especially considering how important it is to Ben Garner having two wingers and midfielders on the bench. 

Assuming we start with the same team, we’d have to somehow fit Aneke, Simpson, JRS, Leaburn, DJ, Mcgrandles, and Payne on the bench. That’s before we add any defenders and a keeper. 
  • edited August 2022
    NabySarr said:
    Chunes said:
    I just don’t see room for another striker, especially considering how important it is to Ben Garner having two wingers and midfielders on the bench. 

Assuming we start with the same team, we’d have to somehow fit Aneke, Simpson, JRS, Leaburn, DJ, Mcgrandles, and Payne on the bench. That’s before we add any defenders and a keeper. 
    That's a rather nice problem to have, isn't it? Fierce competition. Imagine having to bust a gut just to make the bench. Pushes everyone's levels up. Great options for rotation as well.
  • NabySarr said:
    Chunes said:

Well yes it's a problem if everyone is fit, but that's going to be a rarity i'm sure.

If Aneke and Simpson were on the bench, Leaburn wouldn't be in the squad.

Bench would probably be something like Macgillivray, Lavelle, McGrandles, Morgan, DJ, Simpson, Aneke.
  • I think finding a back up striker may be difficult, I’d like someone like Niasse on a 1 year deal but can’t see anything like that happening in the short term. 

Squad overall looks healthy and very competitive to me. If we can get some more defensive bodies in I’d say we’re in business. 
    You must be ITK.
    Defo
    You must be ITK.
    Defo
    Judas returning?
  • Don’t see why we need new defenders.
    Garner obviously thinks they’re overrated based on the goals Swindon shipped last year 😂 Attack is his best form of defence!!
    4-4 draw tomorrow 
  • Chunes said:
    NabySarr said:
    Chunes said:

That's a rather nice problem to have, isn't it? Fierce competition. Imagine having to bust a gut just to make the bench. Pushes everyone's levels up. Great options for rotation as well.
    Yeah it’s a great problem, I don’t remember us going into a season so spoilt for choice up top. 

While I does drive competitiveness, I can also get peoples knickers in a twist.
  • I cant see how they will attract a decent striker into the building if they aren't playing most weeks, and i cant see us paying top dollar for a backup.