Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Options
    Yesterday I wrote that Portsmouth had signed  Colby Bishop who had now scored 4 goals plus Joe Pigott...and basically why didn't  we......

The response was I was sent within 2 minutes.  I was told I was weird. 

What  is weird about noting how many decent strikers have been available but not been looked . Stanley have sold 2 good strikers starting in January.  We bought Aneke..

Just what are Gallen and Co looking at ?
    You was called weird because of you shoehorning a dig at Aneke at every single opportunity you get. Its really strange.

Yesterday I wrote that Portsmouth had signed  Colby Bishop who had now scored 4 goals plus Joe Pigott...and basically why didn't  we......

What  is weird about noting how many decent strikers have been available but not been looked . Stanley have sold 2 good strikers starting in January.  We bought Aneke..

Players that fit our system 
    players that the manager wants
    players that are within budget
    players that are available
    players that are interested in joining us
    players That can be sold for a profit
    players that are different to what we have

i don't think pigott would tick too many of the above. Bishop, not sure if he was on our radar, but going on his start to life at portsmouth, his goals could have been one of the missing parts to our jigsaw
    My thoughts exactly.  How come Posh and Stanley always find these diamonds and all we dig up is coke ?
    They don’t, they have plenty of duds too. The diamonds they pay absolutely top dollar for, £1.2m and upwards, with the knowledge they will have to move them on in a year at a profit. It’s a risky strategy but that’s how they punch above their weight.
     Risky in that they always have 2 goalscoring players....ok
    Risky if you pay £1.2m for a striker and they turn out to be dross as. Peterborough have had this strategy for the last 15 years so they’ve become good at it but as my Posh supporting mate says, when they get it wrong it can mess up the whole season.

The whole set up of the club is based around the strategy, they play attacking football (and not worry so much about the defence) so strikers and their agents know they’ll get good figures and be in demand. Every time they’ve been promoted in the last 15 years they come straight back down, only seems to work in L1
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    sammy391 said:
    Total management speak. Am sure we will see a couple go and a couple come in. People may just need to be patient though as I suspect it'll be late business. Who doesn't love a bit of excitement on transfer deadline day...
    The problem with deadline day deals is that you usually get some cast off, U21, ancient fossil that no one else wants. The rest & the best have all be snapped up months ago. That's why the transfer window opens in June and not August 15th. 
  • Options

You was called weird because of you shoehorning a dig at Aneke at every single opportunity you get. Its really strange.

Players that fit our system 
    players that the manager wants
    players that are within budget
    players that are available
    players that are interested in joining us
    players That can be sold for a profit
    players that are different to what we have

i don't think pigott would tick too many of the above. Bishop, not sure if he was on our radar, but going on his start to life at portsmouth, his goals could have been one of the missing parts to our jigsaw
    My thoughts exactly.  How come Posh and Stanley always find these diamonds and all we dig up is coke ?
    They don’t, they have plenty of duds too. The diamonds they pay absolutely top dollar for, £1.2m and upwards, with the knowledge they will have to move them on in a year at a profit. It’s a risky strategy but that’s how they punch above their weight.
     Risky in that they always have 2 goalscoring players....ok
    Risky if you pay £1.2m for a striker and they turn out to be dross as. Peterborough have had this strategy for the last 15 years so they’ve become good at it but as my Posh supporting mate says, when they get it wrong it can mess up the whole season.

The whole set up of the club is based around the strategy, they play attacking football (and not worry so much about the defence) so strikers and their agents know they’ll get good figures and be in demand. Every time they’ve been promoted in the last 15 years they come straight back down, only seems to work in L1
    Despite what some say, I think Stockley is one of the best League One strikers  available but not sure he is Championship. In fact more likely he isn't than he is.
  • Options
    'hoping' Aneke available for Saturday, so four league missed now and counting .....
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    He is so close, it is unbelieveable. :)
  • Options
    We were close on 2 signings last week said Garner 1has signed where's the other one?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    sammy391 said:
    Total management speak. Am sure we will see a couple go and a couple come in. People may just need to be patient though as I suspect it'll be late business. Who doesn't love a bit of excitement on transfer deadline day...
    The problem with deadline day deals is that you usually get some cast off, U21, ancient fossil that no one else wants. The rest & the best have all be snapped up months ago. That's why the transfer window opens in June and not August 15th. 
    Not true. Loads of the best people available are available at the end. It’s the free transfers, the over priced and the ones that no one wants that go early.
  • Options
    But Garner told the South London Press: “I think every club in this league would probably like another striker and someone who scores goals – they are a rare commodity. As things stand, being honest, I don’t think we’ll be able to do that within our budget unless things move and change. There it is, make of it what you will.
  • Options
    What's the logic in closing the transfer window a month into the season would be better surely if it shut in the Summer before the start of the season so everyone had their squads ready for the season we're not alone in trying to get our squad finalised so late.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Garner underpromising and not looking like we desperately need a striker to agents and other clubs. Nothing has changed as we knew the club were looking to offload players and that we wanted one maybe two more. What we now know is the one more isn’t a striker - I don’t think that’s surprising when Inniss is one of three senior centre backs.
    Don't you? When we have only two senior strikers one of whom you can't rely on from one game to the next and the other appears not to fit the system. For me a striker is a priority over another centre half 
  • Options
    In reality we could easily bring 2 or 3 in, especially as we have 3 spare loan slots available, indeed I expect us to.

Whether those are permanent players involving a fee, loan players from the Championship (the Jamie Ward/Andrew Shinnie/Elliot Lee/Paul Smyth level of player) or an U21 kid from the PL, who knows.
  • Options
    I would imagine that our two biggest earners are Jayden and Chuks, it would be fair to assume that any striker coming in would also be in that bracket. I can see in that statement by Ben Garner, that he has been told that TS will only allow another forward in if its financed by a sale or two and the combined wages of the departing players. So the manager now needs, first to find interested buyers with the cash and secondly,  work out which players he could do without. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Rothko said:
    RedRobin said:
    No striker incoming according to BG, happy with Stockley and Chuks with Leaburn as back up 
    Literally not what he said
    Literally what he said. As things stand, no idea what position this 1 more plays, likely centre back maybe? 
  • Options
    What's the logic in closing the transfer window a month into the season would be better surely if it shut in the Summer before the start of the season so everyone had their squads ready for the season we're not alone in trying to get our squad finalised so late.
    They tired that few seasons back but the rest of Europe did not follow suit so players were still leaving and clubs could not replace them 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Scoham said:
    Garner underpromising and not looking like we desperately need a striker to agents and other clubs. Nothing has changed as we knew the club were looking to offload players and that we wanted one maybe two more. What we now know is the one more isn’t a striker - I don’t think that’s surprising when Inniss is one of three senior centre backs.
    Don't you? When we have only two senior strikers one of whom you can't rely on from one game to the next and the other appears not to fit the system. For me a striker is a priority over another centre half 
    Agreed although we shouldn't have given Innis another year so that does leave us short at CB unless Dobson is seen as cover (think he's needed in MF personally). 

Lack of goals is our problem as none of our midfielders or wingers are regular goal scorers and we have a CF who lacks the skill and movement to play the role expected and our only other genuine striker is never fully fit.

Yes we're playing better as a team but we will not score enough goals without signing a couple of goal scoring forwards/wingers. Rak sakyi could be the new Conor Gallagher or the new Dylan Levitt it's a big risk expecting him to be the answer
  • Options
    FFS! The interview is very clear. Hoping for one more but possibly more if we move someone on and free up some space in the budget.

But guess what? The usual suspects pipe up stating as fact that we aren't signing anyone and yet again twist the interview contents to fit their own agenda.

So fucking boring.

Part of me wishes the club would just say nothing. Can you imagine the dummy spitting that would go on if Garner answered every transfer question with "no comment"

Does this sense of entitlement apply to all football fans or is it just a Charlton thing?
    No comment 😂
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Arise King Kanu.
  • Options
    mart77 said:
    George Hirst looks to be leaving Leicester. Faves are Ipswich and Pompey. Decent striker. If he heads to Ipswich this could free up Simpson.
    We need Geoff Hurst, not George! :smile:

• Options
    edited August 2022
    JamesSeed said:
    William Osula

Sheffield Utd Danish striker who just scored twice v our U21s. 

Not that tall but a bit of a lump.
    We’ve already got lumps. 
    "One lump or two, vicar?"

EDIT: Just seen that @DOUCHER has beaten me to it. Duh!

• Options
    We were still promoted that season, are we signing Parker? 🤣
  • Options
    'hoping' Aneke available for Saturday, so four league missed now and counting .....
    Didn't say what Saturday though 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    If it was Inniss (the Aneke of our CBs) who happened to be injured and Lavelle or O'Connell was struggling for form there'd be similar discussion about signing a CB. We went through that in January 2021.

I'm not downplaying the need for a striker, I see them as equally urgent priorities and both need sorting if we're to challenge for promotion. An affordable centre back is likely easier to find and if the right player is available we shouldn't risk missing out. If we don't sign one we'll be throwing Ness in, so it's a similar situation as it is with Leaburn.
  • Options
    sammy391 said:
    I do love a good manager quote without it being properly answered.

" we have Jayden who is a proven goalscorer at this level". - just not in my set up.

"We've got Chuks, who when fit & firing is a goals scorer at this level" - yeah, and if my auntie had bollocks she'd be my uncle.

" we've got young Miles who I think will score goals at this level with time ". Yeah, just not this season as he's never played senior football before July 30th & really should be out on loan or still playing with the U23's. 

Soundbites that show up the clusterfuck in all its clarity. 
    Although, Golfie ...... Garner is just answering the reporter's question without giving anything away.
    Why would you make it known in the media that you're after a player that other clubs want also?

He did drop the hint that the club have a comprehensive list of potential signings and are still working on ins and outs to "fine tune" the squad.
    But it's pretty obvious that he's keeping his cards close to his chest - as the club has done all summer with their incoming transfer business.