Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• I said weeks ago our transfer business was done, as soon as Leaburn had a good pre-season Tommy sniffed we had solved our striker problems thus saving any money on a signing. 

Leaburn fits right in with Tommy's brief of a good mix of youngsters and experienced pro's

We all know this will not work and that we do need a striker however prepare to be disappointed.
    It can work but where I think the owner is misguided is that he doesn't understand that it doesn't work until it works. By that I don't mean a young player showing a lot of potential, but that player becoming an indespensable part of the team. There is a degree of nurturing required with most players and it is unfair to put too much pressure on them.

We also have our views on this one striker system in terms of what it does for Stockley's game, but what does it do for Leaburn's. It is much harder for a young inexperienced player to lead the line on their own IMO. We haven't seen much yet but what we have seen suggests Leaburn does better when he comes on with Stockley, playing on the right but when he comes in he becomes a striker much better than Kirk or CBT does. Maybe because he is a striker, and admittedly, they are better wide players.
  • Is Mick Lynch available? 
  • Redhenry said:
    Seem to be a lot of one line negative comments on here recently, from posters I haven't really seen before.... Weird
    An ellipsis should only have three dots.
    well done Sir.... :)
  • Redhenry said:
    What no striker ?
    This is exactly what I mean... Seems like an agenda, wondering if it's one person setting up multiple accounts.
    Quite possibly... That said I do know lots of my friends who aren't on forums feel the same (and it's not the usual groupthink). We know Stockley has goals in him, but when he doesn't look like scoring in this system with three games of heavy possession, it's entirely possible lots of people have noticed that. I for one enjoyed a few of the runs Leaburn was making against Wednesday, but just don't think he's ready yet to be a serious contender for our central striking position. Someone like Simpson or Stockton would be better suited to that 'get in behind' style of play and we have the technical players to execute that with the likes of Fraser, Morgan and Payne. Would be a no brainer to me to at least bring in one striker who isn't a target man to at least rotate the game when Stockley is being marked out of it.
  • Vfrf said:
    Another forum reporting our entire Summer budget is £400,000. I'll let the 'Like to LOL ratio' gauge whether it's true or not.
    Think I might be eating a slice of humble pie on this one judging by our business.
  • Vfrf said:
    Redhenry said:
    What no striker ?
    This is exactly what I mean... Seems like an agenda, wondering if it's one person setting up multiple accounts.
    Quite possibly... That said I do know lots of my friends who aren't on forums feel the same (and it's not the usual groupthink). We know Stockley has goals in him, but when he doesn't look like scoring in this system with three games of heavy possession, it's entirely possible lots of people have noticed that. I for one enjoyed a few of the runs Leaburn was making against Wednesday, but just don't think he's ready yet to be a serious contender for our central striking position. Someone like Simpson or Stockton would be better suited to that 'get in behind' style of play and we have the technical players to execute that with the likes of Fraser, Morgan and Payne. Would be a no brainer to me to at least bring in one striker who isn't a target man to at least rotate the game when Stockley is being marked out of it.
    I think this is a good point. Where Stockley can struggle is when he has a couple of players on him and that is an issue when there is nobody else to take the strain and help him. He will find it easier in some games more than others and an option would be good when it isn't working. I still think Stockley will get a decent number and finish our top scorer as it stands. In a team that doesn't seem to have the circa 70 goals it will probably need in it, it seems destructive to take Stockley's contribution away from that already challenging total.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2022
    Redhenry said:
    Seem to be a lot of one line negative comments on here recently, from posters I haven't really seen before.... Weird
    Who the fuck are you?!

EDIT: i am of course joking, i know you've been on this forum since time began.
  • Vfrf said:
    Redhenry said:
    What no striker ?
    I think this is a good point. Where Stockley can struggle is when he has a couple of players on him and that is an issue when there is nobody else to take the strain and help him. He will find it easier in some games more than others and an option would be good when it isn't working. I still think Stockley will get a decent number and finish our top scorer as it stands. In a team that doesn't seem to have the circa 70 goals it will probably need in it, it seems destructive to take Stockley's contribution away from that already challenging total.
    Fair point mate, if he could get goals last season you'd have think he would certainly be able to this year. I just look at the way we play tactically and think a Stockton/Simpson type would more likely be able to link up and overlap with our CAMs bringing goals to those round him as well as himself. I've just not seen that at all from Stockley in pre season or the main games. I don't know how long we can give someone to get a solitary competitive goal before deciding we're placing all our eggs in one basket and the window slams shut. At the very least we should ready ourselves for the possibility that he won't be as effective in this system. Few people are calling for him to be instantly replaced, but we should at least give ourselves the option. The only reason I think we wouldn't is down to budget, and if that's the case then it is what it is, but I think it would be a shame to have a very competitive team and fall short because we wouldn't invest in another option.
  • edited August 2022
    I have been saying all along that Stockton would suit us but I can't see that is going to happen, Simpson neither so we have Stockley to get the best out of. If Stockley is what you have, you need to maximise what you get from him. If the system means he doesn't score then we have to tweak it as it is going to be easier getting goals from Stockley than players that have scored one or two a season or worse throughout their careers.

I agree totally with your final point but isn't that mostly the Charlton way over the last decade.?
  • My Dad isn't on any forums and he thinks the weak link in our play is Stockley, I am on the forums and think the same. One of my friends who isn't a Charlton fan but came with me to the Swansea friendly commented that "your striker isn't very good is he?" when he miscontrolled the ball for the third time in the box, breaking down a decent passage of play yet again.

Look, I don't think he's as bad as some make out, and last season he proved he can score goals, but last season we played a very different style of football, and unless something clicks soon, he's going to start to cop a lot more flack if he doesn't start scoring, because he's the focal point of the team and the attack
  • Vfrf said:
    Redhenry said:
    What no striker ?
    I think Stockton would thrive in this team
  • It is a shame, I have to say that our forwards comprise of a reliance on a 19, 18 and 17 year old, knowing that the senior forward suffered a bad injury last year and his understudy does not start games.

No moaning but an area I thought we would learn from and apply this season.
  • mendonca said:
    It is a shame, I have to say that our forwards comprise of a reliance on a 19, 18 and 17 year old, knowing that the senior forward suffered a bad injury last year and his understudy does not start games.

No moaning but an area I thought we would learn from and apply this season.
    We still might.. dependent on who leaves and who becomes available.  
  • If we got an offer for Stockley do you think Garner would be tempted to go for someone else? Feels like he is the first name on the team sheet if he’s been made captain.

• Redhenry said:
    What no striker ?

Are you saying that the forum is being invaded by social media bots? If so, millwall fans aren’t smart enough to hire a bot company and palace fans bots would end every post with a series of cringy emojis
  • If we got an offer for Stockley do you think Garner would be tempted to go for someone else? Feels like he is the first name on the team sheet if he’s been made captain.
    I think any league 1 manager would be tempted by an offer for any of his players if he thought the money could improve the team/squad. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    If we got an offer for Stockley do you think Garner would be tempted to go for someone else? Feels like he is the first name on the team sheet if he’s been made captain.
    I think any league 1 manager would be tempted by an offer for any of his players if he thought the money could improve the team/squad. 
    The issue at this late stage would be getting the replacement. If there was one available, given our known lack of strikers any replacement would probably cost us way over the worth of the player. 
  • While we are on the Stockley thread, he always looked like nicking a goal when we were a poor/average football team last season but never even looks like scoring now we are trying to be a more fluid footballing team. 

I don't think many/any are suggesting he is poor - just that based on evidence to date he does not seem to flourish in the Garner-style system. 

Early days and a few others are struggling to get going too (Fraser and Kirk) but a valid concern all the same. 

• Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    An ellipsis should only have three dots.
    well done Sir.... :)
    I should have added a winky face. 
  • Think I see somewhere that Cowley distanced themselves but that doesnt mean that nothing is going to happen!
  • Hearing we are trying to negotiate a permanent deal for Malik Wilkes
    Blimey hope thats true! What a signing that would be. 

Has he played a striker before just out of interest? I know he is a winger by trade.