Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• sam3110 said:
    My Dad isn't on any forums and he thinks the weak link in our play is Stockley, I am on the forums and think the same. One of my friends who isn't a Charlton fan but came with me to the Swansea friendly commented that "your striker isn't very good is he?" when he miscontrolled the ball for the third time in the box, breaking down a decent passage of play yet again.

Look, I don't think he's as bad as some make out, and last season he proved he can score goals, but last season we played a very different style of football, and unless something clicks soon, he's going to start to cop a lot more flack if he doesn't start scoring, because he's the focal point of the team and the attack
    Looks like it clicked 
  • Try to move DJ on. Use Leaburn in thr right forward role (as backup) and get a centre forward who fancies battling it out for head honcho.
  • Can we get shot of JFC so Morgan can have the 8?
  • Just a striker and a left footed CB to compete with the three we have and we'll be well on our way.
    I wonder if Jason Pearce is keeping himself fit, just in case he's needed. I assume if we had a squad space, there would be nothing to stop us bringing him back for a couple of games as emergency cover. After all didn't Paul Scholes come back after retiring!
  • mendonca said:
    Try to move DJ on. Use Leaburn in thr right forward role (as backup) and get a centre forward who fancies battling it out for head honcho.
    What sort of wages is DJ on?  3k a week tops?  What sort of fee would we get for DJ?  Not a lot.

What sort of head honcho striker you getting for 3k a week and not a lot of fee?
  • Not necessarily in the context of this striker debate, but I do think Leaburn seems to be more effective from the right at the moment. RJS/Leaburn and Kirk/CBT should be the pairings. DJ is a versatile player and injuries happen so happy to keep him, but @Cafc43v3r I'm assuming that mendonca meant we'd move DJ on to free up SOME wages, but we'd obviously need to spend more than that to bring in a striker. At least that's how I read it.

• Cafc43v3r said:
    mendonca said:
    Try to move DJ on. Use Leaburn in thr right forward role (as backup) and get a centre forward who fancies battling it out for head honcho.
    What sort of wages is DJ on?  3k a week tops?  What sort of fee would we get for DJ?  Not a lot.

What sort of head honcho striker you getting for 3k a week and not a lot of fee?
    Sounds like you've worked out our remaining budget to the £!
  • Vfrf said:
    Not necessarily in the context of this striker debate, but I do think Leaburn seems to be more effective from the right at the moment. RJS/Leaburn and Kirk/CBT should be the pairings. DJ is a versatile player and injuries happen so happy to keep him, but @Cafc43v3r I'm assuming that mendonca meant we'd move DJ on to free up SOME wages, but we'd obviously need to spend more than that to bring in a striker. At least that's how I read it.

Miles is faster than his dad, so that wide attacking role seems to suit him. Playing in the centre is tougher than in the wide positions, I think the same applies in defence.
  • Asamaoah Gyan anyone? Wants to get fit for the World Cup. Wollacott could have a word. 

In all seriousness, at 36 I doubt he'd offer much so not a serious suggestion. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Vfrf said:
    Not necessarily in the context of this striker debate, but I do think Leaburn seems to be more effective from the right at the moment. RJS/Leaburn and Kirk/CBT should be the pairings. DJ is a versatile player and injuries happen so happy to keep him, but @Cafc43v3r I'm assuming that mendonca meant we'd move DJ on to free up SOME wages, but we'd obviously need to spend more than that to bring in a striker. At least that's how I read it.

Miles is faster than his dad, so that wide attacking role seems to suit him. Playing in the centre is tougher than in the wide positions, I think the same applies in defence.
    He really will be some player. Big, strong, reasonably quick and has very good ability on the ball and he'll only get better.

I hate to say this but we should really enjoy him whilst we can. He's averaging a goal every 42 minutes so far in the league, which is insane.
  • JamesSeed said:

A striker that scores goals?

What, like Wilks? 
    Too expensive. 
    Can't see that happening. He played last night, so we would ask him to drop a league, move down south, take a salary cut and play second fiddle to Stockley! As you say too expensive.

• mendonca said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    mendonca said:

Sounds like you've worked out our remaining budget to the £!
    Of course I haven't but you would think you what ever budget you had would need to be managed to the extent that you had 3 strikers before it ran out.  Wouldn't you?

When the January 21 window shut we had Stockley, Aneke, Washington, Shwartz and Davison.  Now we have just the first two.

So either it's not a budget issue and that's been said to dampen expectations or something unexpected has, or hasn't, happened.

When your total wage bill is about 8 million quid 3k a week isn't much is it?
  • Clarky said:
    JamesSeed said:

A striker that scores goals?

What, like Wilks? 
    Too expensive. 
    Can't see that happening. He played last night, so we would ask him to drop a league, move down south, take a salary cut and play second fiddle to Stockley! As you say too expensive.

As you say, not happening as he came of the bench. But you wouldn’t sign a player like that to play second fiddle to Stockley, he’d have been first choice you’d think. 
    We definitely need another striker with Aneke probably out for even longer, although that could well be a loan. 
  • J BLOCK said:
    Scoham said:
    The Wilks rumour feels a lot like the “we tried but couldn’t get it over the line” we heard in the early Roland years. Never felt genuine, appeared to be the club wanting to look like they were in for some exciting players.

The way things are off the pitch I wouldn’t be surprised if it was leaked by the club to look like money isn’t an issue. Making staff redundant and Garner talking about the budget doesn’t fit with a big L1 name like Wilks coming in.
    How can that work when no one form the club has mentioned we are after Wilkes. 
    Do you know who the source of the person who shared the Wilks rumour was then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Scoham said:
    The Wilks rumour feels a lot like the “we tried but couldn’t get it over the line” we heard in the early Roland years. Never felt genuine, appeared to be the club wanting to look like they were in for some exciting players.

The way things are off the pitch I wouldn’t be surprised if it was leaked by the club to look like money isn’t an issue. Making staff redundant and Garner talking about the budget doesn’t fit with a big L1 name like Wilks coming in.
    Nothing official has come from the club or Cawley. So theoretically if this doesn’t happen how can you then turn round and say it was a plant from the club. It’s a rumour, like a dozens of others that happen to each window. 

• J BLOCK said:
    Scoham said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Scoham said:

Nothing official has come from the club or Cawley. So theoretically if this doesn’t happen how can you then turn round and say it was a plant from the club. It’s a rumour, like a dozens of others that happen to each window. 

Just speculating that it feels like that, not saying it definitely is. We don’t know the source, it may or may not have been passed on from someone in the club. Those rumours from that RD years that I compared to weren’t always from the club or Cawley.
  • I can only think that Charlton are playing games in the press about the striker.
    I doubted it the other day that the club would be doin this, but what other reason can there be to say we are interested but the ones we want are effectively out of our price range? That’s how I read the article anyway.
    It’s obvious to all that we need a new striker to cover or even start. Curbs and Minto saying the same.
    No doubt there’s targets, and Wilks would be a great addition. 
    Can’t see that happening myself. Stockton is a one season wonder in my opinion and offers nothing more than Stockley.
    Stockton probably ends up at Wrexham who are chucking cash around on wages. Like they did with the striker last season.
    Not sure a Prem loan would work. The kid would get bullied in our league.
    Perhaps a championship player who’s not in the plans is the way forward. Same as we did with Stockley. Experienced at this level and has a point to prove.

• I think it is what has been said by SG and BG.

We need to move other players on to free up space in the squad and free up wages for the new boys.

Moving on the like of Gilbey and JFC won't be that easy IMHO hence the hold up.

The guy from Chesterfield feels more likely than Wilks or Stockton but I have no ITK knowledge
  • I have a feeling that they will get Bonne back on loan , and loan out Leaburn to get some experience - as well as offloading JFC , DJ and Gilbey. - Garner said he prefers to work with a smaller squad. - The emergence of Clayden and Henry will add some depth and can always recall Deji at CB if required. 
    That is one way to totally piss off the fans and derail our season