Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2022
    What actually has made me even less patient is before Saturday I thought we were way off. I now think we are not that far off so I am worried that gap won't be bridged because it is fundamental to our success. I always thought it all hinged on Garner and he is showing signs he might have something about him. Which is a great development. See what Bowyer did with Douchebag. Sandgaard needs to back him but will he?
  • Options
    Sorry not a rumour. Don't think anybody thought Washington was a bad player for League 1. The problem was his salary.. 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Sorry not a rumour. Don't think anybody thought Washington was a bad player for League 1. The problem was his salary.. 
    Didn't realise his salary was the issue?
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Mendonca was 29, but had also scored 59 goals in 3 or 4 seasons at Grimsby, which is nearly as many as Stockton has scored in his career since 2011
    Maybe. But players like Stockton, McKirdy, our old mate Ajose (the one season wonders) .......... suddenly caught fire for a reason: their team was set up to exploit the particular abilities and strengths of the player or the player found himself in the ideal gameplan for him. Once they scored a few goals, belief and confidence does the rest.

You can even add Lyle Taylor to that list. He never made much impact as a goalscorer until he went to Wimbledon and the team was set up for him to score goals. Same really at Charlton.

The other thing: players like Taylor and Stockton not only have vision, decent ability and 1st touch, they are experienced wily old sods who've learned to wind up and distract opponents. McKirdy at Swindon also apparently. We all saw what Taylor got up to playing at Charlton; and we saw Stockton's antics and gamesmanship when we played Morecambe last season. 

On the other hand, if the team set up doesn't work for them, they flop ...... think Ajose at Charlton, Taylor at Forest.
    If you think back, you can probably remember many others that came with a good reputation but flopped.

• Options
    Yesterday I wrote that Portsmouth had signed  Colby Bishop who had now scored 4 goals plus Joe Pigott...and basically why didn't  we......

The response was I was sent within 2 minutes.  I was told I was weird. 

What  is weird about noting how many decent strikers have been available but not been looked . Stanley have sold 2 good strikers starting in January.  We bought Aneke..

Just what are Gallen and Co looking at ?
    Signing any striker is a gamble. If they have a decent record then could say more likely to have a decent season but it isnt guaranteed. Its 3 games in and Bishop has started well...plenty of time for that form to peter out. His best record in professional football is 10 a season in the league. Solid but it isnt "sign this man now" form. 

• Options
    Yesterday I wrote that Portsmouth had signed  Colby Bishop who had now scored 4 goals plus Joe Pigott...and basically why didn't  we......

What  is weird about noting how many decent strikers have been available but not been looked . Stanley have sold 2 good strikers starting in January.  We bought Aneke..

What you are willing to pay comes into it.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Can see Bishop working in a Cowley brothers direct way of playing, would Bishop work in a more considered way of playing. 

System fit is going to be the thing, Stockley the jury is out, so the next signing is important to fit. 
    Stockley would fit into a Cowley brothers way of playing. 

He fits into ours in our build up - but at the cost of his lack of goals.

System fit is everything. 

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Redhenry said:
    When he signed, I received a text saying it was a bonkers signing, as was using a large part of our salary capped budget...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedRobin said:
    Not a rumour but looks like Cawley is back! 
    How tall is he ?
  • Options

Players that fit our system 
    players that the manager wants
    players that are within budget
    players that are available
    players that are interested in joining us
    players That can be sold for a profit
    players that are different to what we have

i don't think pigott would tick too many of the above. Bishop, not sure if he was on our radar, but going on his start to life at portsmouth, his goals could have been one of the missing parts to our jigsaw
  • Options
    i think we should be looking at ryan hardie from plymouth - think he would fit in well and also macaully bonne on loan - looks lost at qpr but would be decent in the garner formation - hes a goal poacher. 
  • Options
    I have been saying this for many years and I think a lot of people just view the issue from their own perspective. But what I have been saying is that the most important Charlton fans are the fickle ones and the ones who are not Charlton fans yet. Those that would go religiously in League 2 or the national league are to be commended but they are not important at all because they will eat any crap they are given.

The question is always, can we find more of these easily pleased people and I think there is no evidence that it is possible. A club which has a natural home in the Championship can only lose money and over time fans in the lower leagues. If we become an established league one club that will become our natural place and sadly over the last decade, that seems to be where we are settling. That isn't Sandgaard's fault but it is important we remove the chains of League One sooner rather than later and that is where we have a problem if he is incapable of doing so.

The problem with initiatives to increase fans is not just the plan behind them but the importance that everything else aligns alongside them. Airman was part of the club when it had very ambitious targets which some may have felt were impossible, but what they had alongside a great plan was a club on the up under a terrific manager. And we got promoted to the Premier League.

It worries me when we are told it is possible to double or even triple revenue in League One. It is pie in the sky and just another ridiculous thing to add to the list. We have Airman, who some might have said was over optimistic about what could be done with Target 10,000 and Traget 20,000 telling us there is no plan and indeed I can't see one like so many other little things that add up to a big thing - preventing us getting promoted from a division that is sucking the blood out of us like a leech.

It worries me when I hear stories of chaos within the club, it worries me when I see a team start last season with no goals in it and the owner leading it out playing his song, it worries me when the owner tries to change the name of the women's team to Ladies when they don't want it, it worries me when we had a strikers crisis last season which cost us a lot of points and we go into this with fewer strikers, it worries me when the owner seems to think that the U-23s will solve our issues when you can't bank on it, it happens when and if it happens. It worries when I see stories about a staff member issue that the owner doesn't seem to want to address, it worries me when Jacko was sacked without being given a proper chance and whilst Garner seems to be potentially decent, he has to line up with the system he signed up to like Adkins did. I believe Jacko was sacked because he didn't. It worries me when Sandgaard talks crap and I appreciate I should learn to see around some of it but he has got to me. It also worries me when we seem to have money to waste on players but none to spend on glaring needs. 

If I am supposed to be happy about all that because we are, and indeed we are, playing some more attractive football, then sorry I can't feel it at all.I look at the past and it makes me worry about the future. I look at an owner who I think is out of his depth but he thinks he is a genius. Some think it is a certainty we will get the striker we need but I am concerned that whilst it is blindingly obvious we need one, maybe two, we haven't got him yet and are very likely not to get him at all.
    I  suspect for long serviing suffering fans who have been going since the 60s/70s this view resonates for a lot of us.

It certainly does with me.  I  remember a slogan/picture after we got back to the Valley of a football with the Valley written on it being handed to a person in a red shirt saying "Now don't lose it ever again".  Well guess what, we have less than 30 years later and royalty fucked up all the hard work Curbishley and Murray did.

So I still go,  it will forever be in my blood,  but I  despair at the way we have been run in recent years,  exacerbated by the success of our neighbours.  We should never have allowed it to happen and imo,  with the way football success is now largely governed by financial muscle, I don't see a way back to the Premier league for us. 

So to the stat bearing happy clappers it is not negativity, it is saying it how it is, and how people see it.  Despite getting dogs abuse, I wasn't wrong when I  said we would get relegated in 2020. 

Overtime you get to know,  have that feeling about things.  I  will wait until 1 September re this season re this team.  I  am excited at the progress to date, but losing that game Saturday instinctively told me,  that without strengthening, we are short of a promotion bid. 
    Why do this? You've just written a long post about how you feel and how you apparently get 'dogs abuse' for your views and then slip in an insult to other Charlton fans on here. It completely undermines your point and goes to show that for all you claim there's an agenda going one way you're quite happy to play into the us and them mentality. Laugh if you want but we can all agree or disagree on here without people's opinions being shouted down - they aren't, if lots of people disagree with you then lots of people disagree with you, the admins handle any actual abuse - and we can all hear what other people have to say without insulting people as negative doomers or happy clappers for either side of the opinion. I'm optimistic about Charlton because if I'm not then I don't understand the point; we're a third division side who often lose. If I don't hold onto the positives then I may as well stop altogether. Others don't feel that way. Fine. It doesn't help matters to create factions within the support though and we're all in charge of whether that happens or not.
    Great post Gary.👍
  • Options
    I have been saying this for many years and I think a lot of people just view the issue from their own perspective. But what I have been saying is that the most important Charlton fans are the fickle ones and the ones who are not Charlton fans yet. Those that would go religiously in League 2 or the national league are to be commended but they are not important at all because they will eat any crap they are given.

The question is always, can we find more of these easily pleased people and I think there is no evidence that it is possible. A club which has a natural home in the Championship can only lose money and over time fans in the lower leagues. If we become an established league one club that will become our natural place and sadly over the last decade, that seems to be where we are settling. That isn't Sandgaard's fault but it is important we remove the chains of League One sooner rather than later and that is where we have a problem if he is incapable of doing so.

The problem with initiatives to increase fans is not just the plan behind them but the importance that everything else aligns alongside them. Airman was part of the club when it had very ambitious targets which some may have felt were impossible, but what they had alongside a great plan was a club on the up under a terrific manager. And we got promoted to the Premier League.

It worries me when we are told it is possible to double or even triple revenue in League One. It is pie in the sky and just another ridiculous thing to add to the list. We have Airman, who some might have said was over optimistic about what could be done with Target 10,000 and Traget 20,000 telling us there is no plan and indeed I can't see one like so many other little things that add up to a big thing - preventing us getting promoted from a division that is sucking the blood out of us like a leech.

It worries me when I hear stories of chaos within the club, it worries me when I see a team start last season with no goals in it and the owner leading it out playing his song, it worries me when the owner tries to change the name of the women's team to Ladies when they don't want it, it worries me when we had a strikers crisis last season which cost us a lot of points and we go into this with fewer strikers, it worries me when the owner seems to think that the U-23s will solve our issues when you can't bank on it, it happens when and if it happens. It worries when I see stories about a staff member issue that the owner doesn't seem to want to address, it worries me when Jacko was sacked without being given a proper chance and whilst Garner seems to be potentially decent, he has to line up with the system he signed up to like Adkins did. I believe Jacko was sacked because he didn't. It worries me when Sandgaard talks crap and I appreciate I should learn to see around some of it but he has got to me. It also worries me when we seem to have money to waste on players but none to spend on glaring needs. 

If I am supposed to be happy about all that because we are, and indeed we are, playing some more attractive football, then sorry I can't feel it at all.I look at the past and it makes me worry about the future. I look at an owner who I think is out of his depth but he thinks he is a genius. Some think it is a certainty we will get the striker we need but I am concerned that whilst it is blindingly obvious we need one, maybe two, we haven't got him yet and are very likely not to get him at all.
    I  suspect for long serviing suffering fans who have been going since the 60s/70s this view resonates for a lot of us.

It certainly does with me.  I  remember a slogan/picture after we got back to the Valley of a football with the Valley written on it being handed to a person in a red shirt saying "Now don't lose it ever again".  Well guess what, we have less than 30 years later and royalty fucked up all the hard work Curbishley and Murray did.

So I still go,  it will forever be in my blood,  but I  despair at the way we have been run in recent years,  exacerbated by the success of our neighbours.  We should never have allowed it to happen and imo,  with the way football success is now largely governed by financial muscle, I don't see a way back to the Premier league for us. 

So to the stat bearing happy clappers it is not negativity, it is saying it how it is, and how people see it.  Despite getting dogs abuse, I wasn't wrong when I  said we would get relegated in 2020. 

Overtime you get to know,  have that feeling about things.  I  will wait until 1 September re this season re this team.  I  am excited at the progress to date, but losing that game Saturday instinctively told me,  that without strengthening, we are short of a promotion bid. 
    Why do this? You've just written a long post about how you feel and how you apparently get 'dogs abuse' for your views and then slip in an insult to other Charlton fans on here. It completely undermines your point and goes to show that for all you claim there's an agenda going one way you're quite happy to play into the us and them mentality. Laugh if you want but we can all agree or disagree on here without people's opinions being shouted down - they aren't, if lots of people disagree with you then lots of people disagree with you, the admins handle any actual abuse - and we can all hear what other people have to say without insulting people as negative doomers or happy clappers for either side of the opinion. I'm optimistic about Charlton because if I'm not then I don't understand the point; we're a third division side who often lose. If I don't hold onto the positives then I may as well stop altogether. Others don't feel that way. Fine. It doesn't help matters to create factions within the support though and we're all in charge of whether that happens or not.
    This with absolute bells on.

I didn’t really want to add anymore to the non transfer window discourse. But it’s frustrating to see people wanting to pigeon hole supporters into ‘happy clappers’ or ‘doom mongers’ reducing any nuance in conversation or opinions.

When people who don’t like other opinions resort to saying conversation is being shut down, shouted down, getting dogs abuse or even laughable make claims of being bullied - comments like the above do more towards that you then people just expressing their opposing views. 
  • Options
    i think we should be looking at ryan hardie from plymouth - think he would fit in well and also macaully bonne on loan - looks lost at qpr but would be decent in the garner formation - hes a goal poacher. 

I don't think Bonne is good enough on the ball or at holding it up to fit this system. He is also not particularly quick or good at passing.
    He played on his own up front for us in the championship and didn’t do too badly. He definitely has the work rate for the high press. I’d say hes not rapid but he’s quick enough but do agree his link up play and holding the ball up might be an issue. We aren’t going to be able to get someone that’s good at it all though, this is league 1. Anyone that’s quick, can link play, hold the ball up and finish will already be at a higher level. He was dreadful on Tuesday for QPR but I would be surprised if we bring in someone better than him so I think he would be a decent realistic option and potential to get him on a free when his contracts up 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I don't think Bonne is good enough on the ball or at holding it up to fit this system. He is also not particularly quick or good at passing.
    Yeah but apart from that.
    He doesn't understand the offside rule and can't head the ball .
  • Options

Probably easier to say what he is good at, fairly good positional awareness and finishing. Other than that he is just a really poor footballer.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    mendonca said:
    Redhenry said:
    When he signed, I received a text saying it was a bonkers signing, as was using a large part of our salary capped budget...
    When we signed Washington and Gilbey I was told we might struggle to get enough bodies in under the cap because their salaries were so,  relatively,  high.   I still don't know who signed that off.   Any ideas? 
  • Options

What you are willing to pay comes into it.
    Why should I pay...Sandgaard owns the club and he doesn't want to pay either. 
    I think Airman was referring to Sandgaard. 
  • Options

You was called weird because of you shoehorning a dig at Aneke at every single opportunity you get. Its really strange.
  • Options

Probably easier to say what he is good at, fairly good positional awareness and finishing. Other than that he is just a really poor footballer.
    Totally agree. 
  • Options

He doesn't understand the offside rule and can't head the ball .
    I’d rather him than Stockley in this system 
  • Options

You were right, we were relegated, but only because a series of freak circumstances. In a normal world you would have been wrong, I think.