Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    JFC and Gilbey both off the books would help a lot in being able to bring in a striker IMO
    I think that would be a bit of a mistake letting them both go! Injuries or players out of form, then leaves us short in middle of the park. 

Let one go, fine - certainly not both
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    mart77 said:
    Any transfer rumours from yesterday? Did many fans speak to the Sandgaard’s who were sitting in with the fans yesterday? 
    That did make me laugh when I heard he did that !!!

There itself is all the proof anyone needs that the bloke is a loon 😂

You tell me how many football clubs owners are crazy enough to sit in with the fans ? Just imagine how much grief he would get if we played like we did in the 1st half against Derby.

I would like a fiver for everytime someone asked him if we are buying a striker 😂😂😂

Bloke has some balls you have to give him that 
    Think he talking about the women game 
    TS was sat in the away end at Hillsbrough
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    sam3110 said:
    JFC and Gilbey both off the books would help a lot in being able to bring in a striker IMO
    I think that would be a bit of a mistake letting them both go! Injuries or players out of form, then leaves us short in middle of the park. 

We do still have Aaron Henry. Not sure whether he is ready to play 10+ League matches this season yet.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    sam3110 said:

We do still have Aaron Henry. Not sure whether he is ready to play 10+ League matches this season yet.
    Personally think he needs a loan to league 2, or at least a promotion contending National league side.

He seems to have been around for a while as he made his debut so young but let's not forget he only turns 19 at the end of this month. He'll get some cup games but i don't think he's really ready to play a serious part in league 1 yet and to me if he's only going to get a few minutes here and there, he'd be better off getting regular football on loan so he can develop better.
  • Options
    I have been saying this for many years and I think a lot of people just view the issue from their own perspective. But what I have been saying is that the most important Charlton fans are the fickle ones and the ones who are not Charlton fans yet. Those that would go religiously in League 2 or the national league are to be commended but they are not important at all because they will eat any crap they are given.

The question is always, can we find more of these easily pleased people and I think there is no evidence that it is possible. A club which has a natural home in the Championship can only lose money and over time fans in the lower leagues. If we become an established league one club that will become our natural place and sadly over the last decade, that seems to be where we are settling. That isn't Sandgaard's fault but it is important we remove the chains of League One sooner rather than later and that is where we have a problem if he is incapable of doing so.

The problem with initiatives to increase fans is not just the plan behind them but the importance that everything else aligns alongside them. Airman was part of the club when it had very ambitious targets which some may have felt were impossible, but what they had alongside a great plan was a club on the up under a terrific manager. And we got promoted to the Premier League.

It worries me when we are told it is possible to double or even triple revenue in League One. It is pie in the sky and just another ridiculous thing to add to the list. We have Airman, who some might have said was over optimistic about what could be done with Target 10,000 and Traget 20,000 telling us there is no plan and indeed I can't see one like so many other little things that add up to a big thing - preventing us getting promoted from a division that is sucking the blood out of us like a leech.

It worries me when I hear stories of chaos within the club, it worries me when I see a team start last season with no goals in it and the owner leading it out playing his song, it worries me when the owner tries to change the name of the women's team to Ladies when they don't want it, it worries me when we had a strikers crisis last season which cost us a lot of points and we go into this with fewer strikers, it worries me when the owner seems to think that the U-23s will solve our issues when you can't bank on it, it happens when and if it happens. It worries when I see stories about a staff member issue that the owner doesn't seem to want to address, it worries me when Jacko was sacked without being given a proper chance and whilst Garner seems to be potentially decent, he has to line up with the system he signed up to like Adkins did. I believe Jacko was sacked because he didn't. It worries me when Sandgaard talks crap and I appreciate I should learn to see around some of it but he has got to me. It also worries me when we seem to have money to waste on players but none to spend on glaring needs. 

If I am supposed to be happy about all that because we are, and indeed we are, playing some more attractive football, then sorry I can't feel it at all.I look at the past and it makes me worry about the future. I look at an owner who I think is out of his depth but he thinks he is a genius. Some think it is a certainty we will get the striker we need but I am concerned that whilst it is blindingly obvious we need one, maybe two, we haven't got him yet and are very likely not to get him at all.
    Tell us how you really feel!
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    sam3110 said:

The worst thing for Henry to be would be 6th of 6.  Travelling and not making the 18, not able to play for the U21 incase he is needed on the bench etc etc.

If you then have a few injuries and want him in the team ahead of who ever number 6 is,  that's fine but I would rather have an older player,  who isn't a long term investment be 6th. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    A loan to a League 2 club would seem sensible and hopefully if all goes well he will be ripe fruit for us in January. I think the same applies to Leaburn but we don't have other options there.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    JamesSeed said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    thenewbie said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    As I thought yesterday - us not buying a forward to replace Washington cost us a victory. That is on TS. 
    Why are people so wanting to hate this man, who as I can see it, is trying to run this club so that we never have to go through what we went through just before he arrived again.

He isn’t perfect but continuous blaming and hating on him must get so depressing for people. 

They’ve said they have to balance the books. We’re looking so much better already than last year.
    I certainly don’t hate him. Am grateful to him for saving the club. But I suspect if he wants to balance the books, the team will not be successful (my definition of success being promotion) any time soon. 

Apparently he wants to reduce annual losses by £4M, £1M through cost efficiencies and £2-3M through increased revenue. Roughly speaking that equates to ~ another £100K per game, say another 4-5,000 spectators per game. Great that the style of play appears more attractive than last season but results is what will help improve gates and maybe that requires more investment on additional striking options than TS is willing to pay.
    Bit more than that. It's highly unlikely that the average ticket yield is £20 net, given that a good 40-45% are concessions and the majority of those are juniors. Even if you factor in what people spend on average, it's relatively minor as a net benefit (and actual revenue from the kiosks, bars and retail goes elsewhere with the club only getting a royalty). I would think you need about 7,000 extra paying fans every game to add £2.3m in ticket revenue - roughly speaking that means doubling (or for some games trebling) the home match sales. That isn't happening any time soon.
    I think that this is TS' fundamental problem on terms of his goals, aspirations etc. He's probably run all the maths and done the sums and figured out that ON PAPER you can get a lot more money out than he currently is.

BUT he's either too stubborn or naive/idealistic/stupid (delete as you feel accurate) about turning those sums into reality. He's sure that he can succeed where a lot of others have not and will somehow find the football equivalent of the magic money tree. Chances are that he is very wrong on that.
    I think it's a very easy mistake to make, if you don't have the on ground Intel.

Can Charlton sell 20,000 tickets for almost every home game of the season.  Of course they can.

We sell about 13ish?  

7,000 x times £10 profit per ticket x 25ish home games.  Equals nearly £2 million.  Simple isn't it.

It's like buying a DVD player manufacturer and saying in 2010 we sold a million players.  Why did we only sell 1 last year?  Obviously didn't try hard enough.

Yes that's being flippant and over the top but I remember reading an article/interview (maybe someone could dig it out) about how Thomas turned round his company by chasing debt that people advised him he should write off.  He increased the resource and targeted management of the recovery team and clawed back millions that people had told him he wouldn't get back.

Unless you actually pay people to turn up you won't get 20,000 in the valley, on a bi weekly basis, in league 1.  Full stop.
    But that should not stop you trying.
    In my view there are two ways you can go - offer people a good deal so that more are encouraged to come or ratchet up the prices and get as much money as you can from those who are already committed. A case can be made for either approach, but not both at the same time.

The problem with Sandgaard’s approach, at least as far as the match tickets are concerned, is that he’s gone for Cakeism.
    I do think it is a very difficult balance to get right, and there is a risk in lowering prices if you then don’t get an increase in numbers attending. But surely you are not suggesting that there is no point in trying to do anything? I remember fans saying the same thing with the target 10,000 campaign and that it was an unrealistic target. That target looks ridiculously low now.

Who knows what the Club and fans could achieve together, but what I do know is that if you don’t try you definitely won’t improve attendance.
    We always seem to charge £10 or £15 for cup games (and you get ‘footy for a fiver’ matches). What’s wrong with making them £12 or £13? Some people were literally put off going to the QPR match because of the £15 price tag. So if £10 is deemed too cheap, try £12 or £13? 
    I wasn’t put off the QPR game because it was £15. I was put off because for as long as I can remember we haven’t taken cup matches seriously, putting out severely weakened teams, putting in severely sub standard performances. If the manager doesn’t take it seriously then neither will the players. That is unfair on Garner but he, the team, and the ultimately the Club suffered as a result.
    Perhaps after the QPR win more will turn up for the next rounds?
    Just wondering what effect rising energy prices will have on ticket sales come the winter time. Lowering prices, even a little might help, but season ticket holders might feel hard done by. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I actually take a degree of hope from the fact that aside from JRS every one of our signings has come from relatively nothing until about a day or so before.

Given comments from both Gardner and Gallen I am less concerned* about whether we're looking for more signings than I was at a similar point last year.

Though lightning is unlikely to strike twice, Kermorgant signed when that season was already underway so it's possible that we can see a transformative signing even now.

*Which is NOT to say I'm not bothered at all as there are still questions of who, and whether they are good enough.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    sam3110 said:

With the way we got over run towards the end of the game in midfield on Saturday I’d have both of them in the 18 tomorrow. They might want to let one go towards end of the month but think we need them both this week
  • Options
    If only there was a thread to discuss Sandgaard’s ownership.

Then we could use this thread to discuss transfer rumours rather than going over the same ground again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again.
    Thought that thread was redundant given it’s title and the fact the season has started  ;). Anyway, Muttley needed some moral support.
  • Options
    If we sell Kirk, I hope we do get a replacement. Else we'll simply be moving Payne into a position that might not be his strength.

Maybe see a good forward in and Leaburn can be 3rd choice for the wide forward role (playing wide always easier than central when breaking into a team).
  • Options
    Signing a striker is always a punt in  to the unknown.Remember Paul Gorman,getting rave reports for non league sides came to us and did not do very well,Andy Jones,great at Port Vale,came to us in div 1 and hardly scored.Clive Mendonca enough said.So we have to take a chance on someone,I liked Stockton,good movement,Good hold up play,i believe he is 28,how old was Clive when he came to us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Uboat said:
    Of course I did call out, admittedly different issues, with Southall when a lot of you lot were still cheering him and blowing smoke up his arse. I love Charlton like the rest of you and have my opinions right or wrong.
    Absolutely fair comment, as were your earlier ones. Unfortunately there are now so many posters on here who see any expression of doubt about TS as an act of treason that discussion just gets shut down. 
    There’s plenty of criticism, and I don’t think it gets shut or shouted down unless it’s overly personal. 
    My feelings about Sandgaard are similar to my feelings about Stockley. He’s quite a good owner in the same way that Stockley is quite a good striker. Means well, decent fella, and he’s probably heading in the right direction (like Stockley, boom boom), but whether or not he has the wherewithal to get us promoted is a different matter. 
    Fair enough if we’re being quite literal, but on the last page I was told ‘you yourself only ever say negative stuff and never comment on the positive stuff’ and ‘you yourself express constant criticism’. These are two completely false statements (and everyone’s posts are available to read if you’ve got a spare day!).
    I am sceptical about Sandgaard, but have been balanced in what I say about him, so painting me as entirely negative is just an attempt to misrepresent me and undermine the credibility of what I say. So no, you don’t get shouted down, but there are other ways of stifling criticism. 
  • Options
    Mendonca was 29, but had also scored 59 goals in 3 or 4 seasons at Grimsby, which is nearly as many as Stockton has scored in his career since 2011
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    I reckon we’ll sign Stockton (perm), Tom Canon on a season loan and the Scouse centre half playing in Scotland. Or Nabby Sarr.

There, thread back on track. 
    👏👏👏
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    I reckon we’ll sign Stockton (perm), Tom Canon on a season loan and the Scouse centre half playing in Scotland. Or Nabby Sarr.

No that was an opinion… ;)
  • Options
    Important we take at least 4 points from the two home games this week, although obviously we want 6.

If we're contending with other league one clubs for a premier league loan close to the deadline, then a good start may help swing the balance. If we're stuck on 5 points from 5 games and look like the season will be a struggle, that might deter a club from loaning us a player over (lets say for example) a Pompey or Peterborough.
  • Options
    Not a rumour but looks like Cawley is back! 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    RedRobin said:
    Only rumour I have heard in while, so will take it, as a rumour…👍🏻
  • Options
    RedRobin said:

• Options
    Valley11 said:

No that was an opinion… ;)
    Or was it……? 🤔 

(it was, you’re right)