Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Anyone able to explain what this means?

"Or any other has been or Premiership youngster with no previous game time. We already have Rak -Sakyi (fits the first) and Leaburn (fits the second)."
    It means the poster is seldom wrong... 
    it means we need an established proven striker even if that isn't literally what he has said - obvious to everybody and something i agree with  
    Get me the list then :smile:

Proven where? Anyone we sign is going to come with some sort of risk aren't they?  It's not like there is some sort of league 1 Haaland we are going to magic out of thin air. 

On the basis that I, like 90% of others, probably won't have seen them play more than a couple of times I'll judge them on what they do on the pitch, not if they are established or not. 

not my job - is it too much to ask to sign a striker who isn't either an up and coming youth or a has been? 
    Well yes, basically. 

The 20 goal a season 25 year old league 1 striker literally doesn't exist.

How many current league 1 strikers have ever scored 20 league 1 goals in a season?

Stockton, Pigott, Clark-Harris, Marquis maybe missed one or two but it's not a long list.

Anyone we sign will be a gamble. 
    see above - don't agree 
    Disagree, it's the same at every level of the pyramid. 

Obviously the "club" will be significantly more informed about players than us so I won't ask for a name.  But a like is fair enough.

Established like a Taylor that scored 14 for a relegated team, BWP who had never scored more than 8 in a season?

I really don't know what you mean by established and what level you expect them to be established at. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

"Or any other has been or Premiership youngster with no previous game time. We already have Rak -Sakyi (fits the first) and Leaburn (fits the second)."
    it means we need an established proven striker even if that isn't literally what he has said - obvious to everybody and something i agree with  

Proven where? Anyone we sign is going to come with some sort of risk aren't they?  It's not like there is some sort of league 1 Haaland we are going to magic out of thin air. 

On the basis that I, like 90% of others, probably won't have seen them play more than a couple of times I'll judge them on what they do on the pitch, not if they are established or not. 

not my job - is it too much to ask to sign a striker who isn't either an up and coming youth or a has been? 
    Well yes, basically. 

How many current league 1 strikers have ever scored 20 league 1 goals in a season?

Stockton, Pigott, Clark-Harris, Marquis maybe missed one or two but it's not a long list.

see above - don't agree 

Obviously the "club" will be significantly more informed about players than us so I won't ask for a name.  But a like is fair enough.

Established like a Taylor that scored 14 for a relegated team, BWP who had never scored more than 8 in a season?

I really don't know what you mean by established and what level you expect them to be established at. 
    well i guess a mkirdy would be established - not a youth, not a has been, done well in the division below, ready to play his prime years in the division above - of course he may flop but there must be plenty like that out there  
  • DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Well yes, basically. 

see above - don't agree 

well i guess a mkirdy would be established - not a youth, not a has been, done well in the division below, ready to play his prime years in the division above - of course he may flop but there must be plenty like that out there  
    yes, taylor was another - stockton would be another - marquis i would have taken
  • McKirdy would do great for us. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Well yes, basically. 

see above - don't agree 

A player who has never done in above L2 isn't an established signing for a L1 club looking for promotion.

Stockton and May have more credibility on that front, as they've already shown they can be prolific scorers in OUR division.
  • DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Well yes, basically. 

see above - don't agree 

A player who has never done in above L2 isn't an established signing for a L1 club looking for promotion.

Stockton and May have more credibility on that front, as they've already shown they can be prolific scorers in OUR division.
    ok, they'll do 
  • DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Well yes, basically. 

see above - don't agree 

So established is one good season in the division below, having never done it at this level? 

Like talking to cardboard.
    it is if you can't get your head round the fact we are talking about established in the sense of having played league football for a good few years and not over the hill -  killerandflash has just mentioned 2 - got it now smart arse?
  • That’s about as good a statement as can be. Obviously, it massively leaves the board vulnerable if deadline day ends as a damp squib. 

Regardless of how the window ends, we’ve had a good window. We’ve got a set play style, we’ve recruited for that. We got the vast majority of our business done before the start to the season, we’re now looking for squad depth, not desperate to fill holes in the system. 

We might not get promoted, but we’re certainly moving in the the right direction (in terms of recruitment). 

Fans have zero impact on business. Calm down and enjoy the ride. 
    We've made decent signings that match the system we play, the one nagging doubt is whether they are all good enough, or whether we lack that little bit of star quality that most promoted teams have.

Yes I'm all for the club being run sensibly, but ultimately if we don't get promoted, Sandgaard's reign will have to be seen as a failure.
  • Sponsored links:

• i have put my hands up to not having an extensive knowledge of current players but anybody who thinks only inexperienced youth or past it players are the only thing available to us because we are in league 1 need to either stop splitting hairs or realise they aren't the experts they think they are  
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Well yes, basically. 

Not to mention a technically well rounded and mobile 20 goal/season striker. 

Also, when looking at that list, the 20 goal season was the exception for them, not the rule. 

They just aren't there at this level. I think signing a talented but raw youngster on loan is our best bet. It's a gamble no matter what, and I'd rather gamble on a youngster growing into their own this season than a lower league journeyman. I know we have Leaburn, but he looks very raw still, he will still get games out wide, and it allows us to ease him into the first team rather than having him be our only striker if something happens with Stockley. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Well yes, basically. 

see above - don't agree 

Was McKirdy established when Port Vale jogged him on 14 months ago?  You want an upgrade on Stockley (we all do and no one has said they don't) that's not McKirdy.

What you want doesn't exist.  You will be disappointed.  I'll judge who we get on how they play. 

If we don't get anyone we can both be pissed. 
    strewth - established as in not a youth but not past it - an established professional footballer - lets put this down to a misunderstanding shall we?i can see you're not as dim as double covered end    
  • DOUCHER said:
    i have put my hands up to not having an extensive knowledge of current players but anybody who thinks only inexperienced youth or past it players are the only thing available to us because we are in league 1 need to either stop splitting hairs or realise they aren't the experts they think they are  
    But that's not what anyone is saying!!!

Your taking a gamble who ever you sign.  They will either be on the way up, or on the way down.  They could be an Ajose they could be a Yann.  They could be a Paul Williams, they could be a Stuart Fleetwood. 
  • Cole Stockton only seems to be attracting interest from smaller L1 clubs, which suggests he might actually be affordable
  • edited August 2022
    If established is the only requirement, here are semi-realistic options from the top 20 League One scorers from last season (some are now in the Championship, some are midfielders etc):

- Alfie May
    - Cole Stockton
    - Matty Taylor
    - Ryan Hardie
    - Sam Smith
    - George Hirst (already on his way to the Championship apparently)
    - Jayden Stockley
    - Joe Ironside
    - Daniel Udoh
    - Mo Eisa
    - Macauley Bonne

Taylor, Hardie and Eisa all feel like a stretch and probably out of the question. Bonne on loan or Smith and Ironside from Cambridge would appear to be the most "gettable" outside of the bloke who's already on our books.
  • If established is the only requirement, here are semi-realistic options from the top 20 League One scorers from last season (some are now in the Championship, some are midfielders etc):

- Alfie May
    - Cole Stockton
    - Matty Taylor
    - Ryan Hardie
    - Sam Smith
    - Jayden Stockley
    - Joe Ironside
    - Daniel Udoh
    - Mo Eisa
    - Macauley Bonne

Taylor, Hardie and Eisa all feel like a stretch and probably out of the question. Bonne, Smith and Ironside would appear to be the most "gettable" outside of the bloke who's already on our books.
    How many fit the description of having pace and running in behind?
  • DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Well yes, basically. 

see above - don't agree 

Was McKirdy established when Port Vale jogged him on 14 months ago?  You want an upgrade on Stockley (we all do and no one has said they don't) that's not McKirdy.

What you want doesn't exist.  You will be disappointed.  I'll judge who we get on how they play. 

strewth - established as in not a youth but not past it - an established professional footballer - lets put this down to a misunderstanding shall we?i can see you're not as dim as double covered end    
    The irony.

Effectively your entire point is now just about age, not too young or too old? 

If a player is 18 or 34 it matters not if they are good enough and will help us achieve our goals this season.
  • Thommo said:
    Sounds like from that we are looking at trying to land 2 regardless of if anyone goes out. 
    As long as they are free agents by the sounds of it as well.
  • I think I'd take a punt on Stockton or Smith personally. I get the point that Doucher is trying to make to be honest. Ultimately, anybody is a gamble and I'd rather someone like Stockton or Smith, off the back of decent seasons in this league than someone like Bonne. May would fit the bill but not convinced he's made for a lone striker role in 1 433. 
  • Sponsored links:

• DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Well yes, basically. 

see above - don't agree 

But you aren't going to get someone that has ever scored more than 15 league 1 goals then you will moan about that.  Taylor hadn't, BWP hadn't.  Ajose and Benson had.

Lets judge who ever we sign, if they are 18 or 35, on how they actually play?  For us. 
  • edited August 2022
    Scoham said:
    If established is the only requirement, here are semi-realistic options from the top 20 League One scorers from last season (some are now in the Championship, some are midfielders etc):

- Alfie May
    - Cole Stockton
    - Matty Taylor
    - Ryan Hardie
    - Sam Smith
    - Jayden Stockley
    - Joe Ironside
    - Daniel Udoh
    - Mo Eisa
    - Macauley Bonne

Taylor, Hardie and Eisa all feel like a stretch and probably out of the question. Bonne, Smith and Ironside would appear to be the most "gettable" outside of the bloke who's already on our books.
    Daniel Udoh?
  • We have not spent any penny on transfer fees this window and I don’t see that changing by Friday morning. The 2 players that come in will be a loan or a free agent. No issue with that, as reality has kicked in this summer for him.

Over promised but has now worked how English football works and it’s not that easy. 

• shirty5 said:
    We have not spent any penny on transfer fees this window and I don’t see that changing by Friday morning. The 2 players that come in will be a loan or a free agent. No issue with that, as reality has kicked in this summer for him.

Over promised but has now worked how English football works and it’s not that easy. 

Our 2 loans so far have been very high quality. If we get 2 more of similar level then I think we’ve got a chance of play offs. Would rather avoid a free agent at this stage they will probably not be fit with no pre-season and probably not that good if no one else has signed them 
  • edited August 2022
    Scoham said:

- Alfie May
    - Cole Stockton
    - Matty Taylor
    - Ryan Hardie
    - Sam Smith
    - Jayden Stockley
    - Joe Ironside
    - Daniel Udoh
    - Mo Eisa
    - Macauley Bonne

Almost all of them. May, Taylor, Hardie in particular.

Even Stockton, while not having the most pace, causes defenders headaches with his constant movement.

It's a non starter though if we're not paying fees.
  • NabySarr said:
    shirty5 said:
    We have not spent any penny on transfer fees this window and I don’t see that changing by Friday morning. The 2 players that come in will be a loan or a free agent. No issue with that, as reality has kicked in this summer for him.

Our 2 loans so far have been very high quality. If we get 2 more of similar level then I think we’ve got a chance of play offs. Would rather avoid a free agent at this stage they will probably not be fit with no pre-season and probably not that good if no one else has signed them 
    I would take Ross Barkley :smiley:
  • I'll throw about a couple of random options that could be gettable for us:

George Hirst from Leicester (23 years old, 191cm tall, was on loan at Portsmouth last season and scored 13 goals, a goal every 186mins).

Saido Berahino - doesn't have a club but scored 8 goals for Sheffield Wednesday and got 4 assists in 13 starts and 16 sub appearances (173 mins per goal). Dunno if he is a mini Chuks though with fitness issues so maybe not.
  • DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Well yes, basically. 

see above - don't agree 

So established is one good season in the division below, having never done it at this level? 

Like talking to cardboard.
    I would much prefer a player who has scored 20 goals in the league below (ie, knows where the goal is) than a Bonne, Smyth, Davison, Schwartz or Leko.......all of whom we've played up front & not been able to muster more than a handful of goals (Bonne being probably the best of that bunch). 

It has been a long time since we've had a striker who when in front of goal will finish. Probably I was brought up in the wrong era & shouldn't hark back to the days of Killer & Melrose.....or Hunt & Mendonca. Or even Bent & BWP.  I suppose I have to put up with expecting our strikers to only score 12-15 league goals a season like Stockley, Washington & Aneke. 

So, I'll just go back under my rock & have to happy paying £500 a season to watch average strikers miss chance after chance whilst other clubs find players that get them out of this division. 

• Jac_52 said:
    I'll throw about a couple of random options that could be gettable for us:

George Hirst from Leicester (23 years old, 191cm tall, was on loan at Portsmouth last season and scored 13 goals, a goal every 186mins).

Saido Berahino - doesn't have a club but scored 8 goals for Sheffield Wednesday and got 4 assists in 13 starts and 16 sub appearances (173 mins per goal). Dunno if he is a mini Chuks though with fitness issues so maybe not.
    Hirst is going to Blackburn.