Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• That’s about as good a statement as can be. Obviously, it massively leaves the board vulnerable if deadline day ends as a damp squib. 

Regardless of how the window ends, we’ve had a good window. We’ve got a set play style, we’ve recruited for that. We got the vast majority of our business done before the start to the season, we’re now looking for squad depth, not desperate to fill holes in the system. 

We might not get promoted, but we’re certainly moving in the the right direction (in terms of recruitment). 

Fans have zero impact on business. Calm down and enjoy the ride. 
    I think it’s been an okay window.  I agree with pretty much everything you say, but a good window would’ve been adding real quality that can make a difference.  I think JRS can, but I’m not so sure the others have that top quality in their respective positions.  

On the whole I think Gallen and Garner have done well for the budget available to them, but the gulf between where and who we finished with last year versus what we need to get out of this division is to far and we won’t have it (imo).  Doesn’t mean we haven’t made progress though 
  • DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Anyone able to explain what this means?

"Or any other has been or Premiership youngster with no previous game time. We already have Rak -Sakyi (fits the first) and Leaburn (fits the second)."
    It means the poster is seldom wrong... 
    it means we need an established proven striker even if that isn't literally what he has said - obvious to everybody and something i agree with  
    Get me the list then :smile:

Proven where? Anyone we sign is going to come with some sort of risk aren't they?  It's not like there is some sort of league 1 Haaland we are going to magic out of thin air. 

On the basis that I, like 90% of others, probably won't have seen them play more than a couple of times I'll judge them on what they do on the pitch, not if they are established or not. 

not my job - is it too much to ask to sign a striker who isn't either an up and coming youth or a has been? 
    Well yes, basically. 

The 20 goal a season 25 year old league 1 striker literally doesn't exist.

How many current league 1 strikers have ever scored 20 league 1 goals in a season?

Stockton, Pigott, Clark-Harris, Marquis maybe missed one or two but it's not a long list.

Anyone we sign will be a gamble. 
    see above - don't agree 
    Disagree, it's the same at every level of the pyramid. 

Obviously the "club" will be significantly more informed about players than us so I won't ask for a name.  But a like is fair enough.

Established like a Taylor that scored 14 for a relegated team, BWP who had never scored more than 8 in a season?

I really don't know what you mean by established and what level you expect them to be established at. 
    well i guess a mkirdy would be established - not a youth, not a has been, done well in the division below, ready to play his prime years in the division above - of course he may flop but there must be plenty like that out there  
    So established is one good season in the division below, having never done it at this level? 

Like talking to cardboard.
    I would much prefer a player who has scored 20 goals in the league below (ie, knows where the goal is) than a Bonne, Smyth, Davison, Schwartz or Leko.......all of whom we've played up front & not been able to muster more than a handful of goals (Bonne being probably the best of that bunch). 

It has been a long time since we've had a striker who when in front of goal will finish. Probably I was brought up in the wrong era & shouldn't hark back to the days of Killer & Melrose.....or Hunt & Mendonca. Or even Bent & BWP.  I suppose I have to put up with expecting our strikers to only score 12-15 league goals a season like Stockley, Washington & Aneke. 

So, I'll just go back under my rock & have to happy paying £500 a season to watch average strikers miss chance after chance whilst other clubs find players that get them out of this division. 

DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

"Or any other has been or Premiership youngster with no previous game time. We already have Rak -Sakyi (fits the first) and Leaburn (fits the second)."
    it means we need an established proven striker even if that isn't literally what he has said - obvious to everybody and something i agree with  

Proven where? Anyone we sign is going to come with some sort of risk aren't they?  It's not like there is some sort of league 1 Haaland we are going to magic out of thin air. 

On the basis that I, like 90% of others, probably won't have seen them play more than a couple of times I'll judge them on what they do on the pitch, not if they are established or not. 

not my job - is it too much to ask to sign a striker who isn't either an up and coming youth or a has been? 
    Well yes, basically. 

How many current league 1 strikers have ever scored 20 league 1 goals in a season?

Stockton, Pigott, Clark-Harris, Marquis maybe missed one or two but it's not a long list.

see above - don't agree 

Obviously the "club" will be significantly more informed about players than us so I won't ask for a name.  But a like is fair enough.

Established like a Taylor that scored 14 for a relegated team, BWP who had never scored more than 8 in a season?

I really don't know what you mean by established and what level you expect them to be established at. 
    well i guess a mkirdy would be established - not a youth, not a has been, done well in the division below, ready to play his prime years in the division above - of course he may flop but there must be plenty like that out there  
    So established is one good season in the division below, having never done it at this level? 

Like talking to cardboard.
    I would much prefer a player who has scored 20 goals in the league below (ie, knows where the goal is) than a Bonne, Smyth, Davison, Schwartz or Leko.......all of whom we've played up front & not been able to muster more than a handful of goals (Bonne being probably the best of that bunch). 

It has been a long time since we've had a striker who when in front of goal will finish. Probably I was brought up in the wrong era & shouldn't hark back to the days of Killer & Melrose.....or Hunt & Mendonca. Or even Bent & BWP.  I suppose I have to put up with expecting our strikers to only score 12-15 league goals a season like Stockley, Washington & Aneke. 

So, I'll just go back under my rock & have to happy paying £500 a season to watch average strikers miss chance after chance whilst other clubs find players that get them out of this division. 

Well now your £500 is at risk maybe Thomas should spend 500k and 5k a week for a striker...
  • Admiral Muskwe on loan. Talk, quick and does not score many goals. 

It's happening.

It's happening.
    Been linked with fleetwood a few times today on Twitter. Would be disappointed if that’s what we end up with. 

It's happening.
    It must be compulsory for us to loan a Luton player every season? Shinnie, Lee...
  • Jac_52 said:
    I'll throw about a couple of random options that could be gettable for us:

George Hirst from Leicester (23 years old, 191cm tall, was on loan at Portsmouth last season and scored 13 goals, a goal every 186mins).

Saido Berahino - doesn't have a club but scored 8 goals for Sheffield Wednesday and got 4 assists in 13 starts and 16 sub appearances (173 mins per goal). Dunno if he is a mini Chuks though with fitness issues so maybe not.
    Hirst is going to Blackburn.
    Bollocks
  • Kenneth Zohore from West Brom anyone? Danish connection. Made 2 accurate passes all season last season.

Failing that lets just get big Mak back.

Let's hope Gallen and co have some more ideas as it is slim pickings and anyone half decent is going to the championship.

• I have a horrible feeling we’ll end up getting Leko back on loan 
  • Sponsored links:

• NabySarr said:
    That’s about as good a statement as can be. Obviously, it massively leaves the board vulnerable if deadline day ends as a damp squib. 

Regardless of how the window ends, we’ve had a good window. We’ve got a set play style, we’ve recruited for that. We got the vast majority of our business done before the start to the season, we’re now looking for squad depth, not desperate to fill holes in the system. 

We might not get promoted, but we’re certainly moving in the the right direction (in terms of recruitment). 

Fans have zero impact on business. Calm down and enjoy the ride. 
    Moving in the right direction in terms of our thinking. But cutting the budget year on year trying to break even is going to reduce our chances of promotion year on year in the future. If we don’t go up this year (hopefully we do but I think it’s unlikely) then we cut the budget further then we will be drifting back away from the top 6 and into mid table again. We’ve had a good summer but it will be wasted if we don’t have that little bit more backing that would give us a really good chance 
    Agree.

The break even mantra is as ridiculous as "blow the league away".

There's nothing wrong in the statement from Sandgaard regarding the possible signings other than it should be the manager or the head of recruitment saying that, not the owner.

The break even over two seasons?  What does that even actually mean?  

At the moment it seems taking sponsorship from dodgy NFT pyramid schemes and sacking  non-playing staff at the training ground and the Valley. 

The laudable attempt to get cat 1 failed (and TS hasn't said why) so no extra money from EPL but lots of extra coaches etc hired to meet cat 1 requirements. They'll be gone soon IMHO.

Meanwhile at the Valley staff are hired and fired (or walk) in weeks or a few months as the Sandgaard’s lurch from boom to bust.

And the few long standing staff fear for their roles having seen Olly so shabbily treated.

The only veteran who has nothing to worry is the most incompetent but Tony Keohane knows how to do one thing very well and that kiss arse or should i say ass.

So, great, get that striker, get that centre back, both could be vital and we all, no matter what we think about the owner, want success on the pitch but I'd rather Thomas would STFU, let Garner and Gallen do their jobs without his interruptions and accept that running a league one football club is neither "easy" nor a business that will break even in this league or even the one above 

Apologies. This is the rumours thread  so WIOTOS
    Pretty much what everyone thinks but few actually say. Couldn't agree more. 
  • I have a horrible feeling we’ll end up getting Leko back on loan 

nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
  • edited August 2022
    Personally think we could do worse than Leko there is a lot of ability there and I think he may thrive under Garner
    We could do a lot, lot better. He's pacey but he always wants the ball to feet. Plus he's a wide player and we currently have four, five if you count Leaburn, six if you count Clayden. Plus Payne can play there as well.

He's played three times in the league for Birmingham this season. All as a sub. They don't have a big squad so can't see them letting him out on loan. Plus, I can't imagine we're interested. All the best to him. We'll always have the 2019.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    i have put my hands up to not having an extensive knowledge of current players but anybody who thinks only inexperienced youth or past it players are the only thing available to us because we are in league 1 need to either stop splitting hairs or realise they aren't the experts they think they are  
    But that's not what anyone is saying!!!

Your taking a gamble who ever you sign.  They will either be on the way up, or on the way down.  They could be an Ajose they could be a Yann.  They could be a Paul Williams, they could be a Stuart Fleetwood. 
    Yes but they won’t be very young or very old so kind of reduces the risk and provides an established performance in a vital position - - think mendonca and kinsella - paid more for the former as less risk and more proven but both in their prime 
  • DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Well yes, basically. 

see above - don't agree 

Was McKirdy established when Port Vale jogged him on 14 months ago?  You want an upgrade on Stockley (we all do and no one has said they don't) that's not McKirdy.

What you want doesn't exist.  You will be disappointed.  I'll judge who we get on how they play. 

If we don't get anyone we can both be pissed. 
    strewth - established as in not a youth but not past it - an established professional footballer - lets put this down to a misunderstanding shall we?i can see you're not as dim as double covered end    
    The irony.

Effectively your entire point is now just about age, not too young or too old? 

If a player is 18 or 34 it matters not if they are good enough and will help us achieve our goals this season.
    There is a reason players go for and earn the most when they are in their prime years  - got it ?
  • edited August 2022
    I think I'd take a punt on Stockton or Smith personally. I get the point that Doucher is trying to make to be honest. Ultimately, anybody is a gamble and I'd rather someone like Stockton or Smith, off the back of decent seasons in this league than someone like Bonne. May would fit the bill but not convinced he's made for a lone striker role in 1 433. 
    Thank you - it’s not a difficult concept and has been part of how football operates for ever despite these league 1 experts thinking we are in sone sort of transient anomaly - gamble in other areas, take punts but this signing in this position needs to be right 
  • swordfish said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    My understanding is, we have explored the loan market for a forward, and couldn't bring in the correct player to play the system, or the ones that could we missed out on. 

From what I have heard, we are going to pay a fee for a forward, 2 year deal.. Alfie May certainly fits the style of play, and is different to what we currently have.. No names have been given, but it is someone who had a good year in League One.. that's all I know.

Defender wise, I don't have any information on this.. 

The signings I think will happen, even if we can't shift a player, if we are able to shift a player or two it might lead to an extra signing.. 
    Now that's what I call a rumour and gives us something to go on. Can't rule out my earlier suggestion of Luke Jephcott based on that, although some have said he wouldn't suit the style of play. However, any port in a storm and he's a goal scoring striker. 
    Jephcott always looks like he’s carrying a bit of poundage to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Well yes, basically. 

see above - don't agree 

Was McKirdy established when Port Vale jogged him on 14 months ago?  You want an upgrade on Stockley (we all do and no one has said they don't) that's not McKirdy.

What you want doesn't exist.  You will be disappointed.  I'll judge who we get on how they play. 

If we don't get anyone we can both be pissed. 
    strewth - established as in not a youth but not past it - an established professional footballer - lets put this down to a misunderstanding shall we?i can see you're not as dim as double covered end    
    But you aren't going to get someone that has ever scored more than 15 league 1 goals then you will moan about that.  Taylor hadn't, BWP hadn't.  Ajose and Benson had.

Lets judge who ever we sign, if they are 18 or 35, on how they actually play?  For us. 
    I will but the key is we have to buy somebody before they play for us and we need to reduce the chances of a flop as much as possible - not interested in potential, this signing needs to come  in and hit the ground running and  I’m hoping we have set aside the family silver to get it 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    My understanding is, we have explored the loan market for a forward, and couldn't bring in the correct player to play the system, or the ones that could we missed out on. 

From what I have heard, we are going to pay a fee for a forward, 2 year deal.. Alfie May certainly fits the style of play, and is different to what we currently have.. No names have been given, but it is someone who had a good year in League One.. that's all I know.

Defender wise, I don't have any information on this.. 

The signings I think will happen, even if we can't shift a player, if we are able to shift a player or two it might lead to an extra signing.. 
    Good news 
  • May would be interesting. Seems to have matured later in his footballing life after a long spell in non league, then on the bench largely for Doncaster before his switch to Cheltenham where he’s really found his feet in league football. He looks like a slightly more mobile Washington, which I guess is what we want.
    Local lad too so wouldn’t be any of the potential issues associated with Stockton moving down south. 
    Would be happy with either of them tbh. An eventful few days ahead then. 
  • Stockton doesn’t fit with what Sandgaard was saying about what we need. So I think Alfie May or Sam Smith from Cambridge are most likely if this is true. Smith would fit the age bracket we usually go for as well and can play out wide 
  • edited August 2022
    Interesting that Sam Smith played in Cambridge’s two cup games but wasn’t in their squad last night. Only the pizza cup so can’t read too much into it but Alfie May did play in Cheltenham’s game yesterday.
  • Scoham said:
    May extended his contract until 2024 in January. Smith’s appears to expire next summer and seems a better fit for a lone striker who can also play out wide. He got a hat trick on Saturday playing on the right wing in a 4-2-3-1.
    Great finish for his 3rd. He looks decent and as has been said, fits the age profile. 
  • Don’t know much about Smith, but age and location makes a lot of sense