Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• mendonca said:
    Our league position and achievements are put into perspective when it's proving hard to get rid of McG, JFC, Gilbey, DJ (borderline) who over the last season(s) have been core players in the starting 11. 
    Its also partly due to the massive gap in league 1.  

There aren't many "average" sized clubs anymore.  Which are the sort of clubs, especially Gilbey and MacGillivray, would historically be looking at.
  • Scoham said:
    MattF said:
    Mentions Gilbey, JFC and CM could all still go too.

Can see the sense in DJ out and a striker who can play wide coming in.
    We already have enough players who can play wide in the squad

Kirk, JRS, CBT plus Leaburn and Payne who have played there this season already.
  • Like many have said, I don’t think Stockton or May fit model we go for, young (ish), stock on the rise, potential sell on etc.

Sam Smith however, does.  From TS’s POV.
    Forget the model, in our league one seasons our best attackers have all been older players who we have caught in their prime, Yann, Taylor & Holmes the standouts. This sell on policy isn’t exactly going so well so far for him. Build a strong team and then worry about finding gems is how I see it. 
  • edited August 2022
    sam3110 said:
    "I'm off to bed, that's all for tonight"

Rich Cawley at 8.30 tomorrow night after we announce the sale of Miles Leaburn to Palace for 750k

That's not funny that's a nightmare, especially if it includes our Tracey getting the Palace players liaison position and Carl being head of security on match days.
    A family package deal 🤦🏻‍♂️

STOP this talk Sam 3110.
  • Like many have said, I don’t think Stockton or May fit model we go for, young (ish), stock on the rise, potential sell on etc.

Forget the model, in our league one seasons our best attackers have all been older players who we have caught in their prime, Yann, Taylor & Holmes the standouts. This sell on policy isn’t exactly going so well so far for him. Build a strong team and then worry about finding gems is how I see it. 
    I’m not advocating for or against the model.

As for the point you make it’s a decent one, although I’d say that you will have to be extremely lucky or pay a lot to obtain one of those you mention.  

Is there actually a model?  Stockley, Fraser and Aneke certainly don't fit your description.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Like many have said, I don’t think Stockton or May fit model we go for, young (ish), stock on the rise, potential sell on etc.

Is there actually a model?  Stockley, Fraser and Aneke certainly don't fit your description.
    Doesn’t mean every signing will, there was an article/interview where the model is spoke about for sure.  
  • edited August 2022
    Stockton contract ends next summer so likely to move.

May signed new deal and apparently they want £ 500K. Local lad.  One season wonder risk?

Smith at Cambridge seems to fit profile but is he available?

Hardie/Jephcott - maybe one is available, I know next to nothing about either.

Matty Stevens @FGR injured

Scully at Lincoln - would he fit the description? One year left on his contract.

Daniel Udoh at Shrews?

Seem to be the L1 runners and riders from posters on here then..
    A surprisingly useful summary for the general mess that is the rumours thread. Now could you do another one re the posters, who are arguing with whom, what there issues are etc etc.
  • mendonca said:
    Our league position and achievements are put into perspective when it's proving hard to get rid of McG, JFC, Gilbey, DJ (borderline) who over the last season(s) have been core players in the starting 11. 
    DJ going on loan makes sense as I don't think his contract expires at the end of the season. He's not consistent enough and has competition from someone on loan who will probably rule him out as a starter, so let him go elsewhere to find his mojo, as Kirk did, and we'll take a view on him next summer.

It'll be hard to shift JFC. Can you imagine if we took a punt on a player who'd been injured for two years, Souare springs to mind. He'll also have a wage expectation unlikely to be matched, as will Gilbey and Craig McG, both of whom are no better than average L1 on the basis of what they've shown for us. For them, I imagine most options will represent a step down and financially it might make more sense for them to stay put. We're probably asking for a fee for them too. 

As we keep being told, it's hard to get everything aligned with all parties in agreement for player transfers to happen, especially those still under contract.
  • Sponsored links:

• Can someone please wake me up when the bed-wetting has officially started.

Thanks. 
  • edited August 2022
    So that's Lincoln, Shrewsbury, Leyton Orient, Burton Albion and Stevenage that Cawley has said have come in for Gilbey.

Can't believe this bloke basically started basically every game (when fit) for us for two years. No wonder we never had a midfield.
  • DJ has just never got going in our team, he seems an obvious option to move on when the other 3 competition are all better than him at at least one aspect of his game - Kirk at deliveries into the box, JRS getting past his man and generally being a threat, CBT pace.
    Add Leaburn and Payne if we were short of options, he seems to be towards the back of a long line.
  • Scoham said:
    MattF said:

Kirk, JRS, CBT plus Leaburn and Payne who have played there this season already.
    I agree, I want someone who’s firstly a striker rather than a winger who can play up front.

However given we want one with pace it’s likely have some ability to play wide too. It makes more sense than a pure poacher or another target man.

Another interesting thing about Sam Smith is he’s left footed. He could give both Stockley and JRS competition. Our left winger in Kirk or CBT is then more of a creator, with the main goal threats coming from the striker and right winger.

And while it sounds great, buying young hungry players that you can improve and potentially sell on at a fat profit if they leave, there's no guarantee that this "Peterborough or Brentford" style approach works anyway,

DJ I'm sure is worth less than what we paid for him, for example.
  • edited August 2022
    Its a house chain window for Cafc yet again and Players not wanting to be forced to move to a house in the Country in somewhere like rural Lincolnshire if they want to stay in the home counties.

The days of Mark Stuart being sold to Plymouth the month after he moved into a new house nearer to Sparrows lane have gone. Better for the players but not always for Some fans who see players as commodities who are either great or shit. No nuance just cardboard characters who are there to be binned when they don't perform for a match or 3.

Sam Smith looks interesting but I don't want to make a song and dance in mentioning the Cambridge forward. 

• Chunes said:
    So that's Lincoln, Shrewsbury, Leyton Orient, Burton Albion and Stevenage that Cawley has said have come in for Gilbey.

Can't believe this bloke basically started basically every game (when fit) for us for two years. No wonder we never had a midfield.
    Speaks for itself.

I still remember saying in the the last January transfer window, just after Gilbey had found a bit of form when JJ first came in and had scored a very good goal against Ipswich, whether a Championship side might come in with a late bid and try and nick him with a cheeky bid!
  • edited August 2022
    Chunes said:

Shrewsbury, Fleetwood and Port Vale are the only known teams in for Stockton at the moment.... 
  • CAFC Deadline day bingo:

Slams shut
    Couldn’t get it over the line
    We were very close
    One or two
    He felt it wasn’t right for him
    Loan window opens soon
    We wish him all the best
    Exciting young players pushing to be involved
    Happy with the squad overall

keohane cut the fax line 
    we'll need to get him some minutes 
    his surgical boot isn't a big issue
    silly money
    pathway 
    one or two options 
    had a sore throat for the last week but soldiered on 
    bodies in the building
    in those positions
    been in regular contact
    over to Ben   
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:
    I think it’s good we’re looking to move DJ on.  If he, JFC and Gilbey all go, that’s a lot of the remnants of the last two seasons finally gone.  I think that’s a good thing personally.
    agreed

I’m not advocating for or against the model.

As for the point you make it’s a decent one, although I’d say that you will have to be extremely lucky or pay a lot to obtain one of those you mention.  
    I know you weren’t mate, just while we are on the subject is all. 

I genuinely couldn’t care less about a players age when we sign them if it’s in a crucial position. I would always rather a 34 year old we could have for 2-3 seasons who could help us get promoted than a 20 year old who we are only gonna keep for a max of one season anyway. 

More than happy with players like Albie, Leaburn, Henry, Clayden playing their part and if an offer comes in, we sell them for a healthy fee like Konsa, Lookman, Burstow etc but most times when we are buying these players with ‘upsides’ they’re getting worse or their value is dropping, for example DJ and Kirk. 

I want us to use our youth system to bring players through and sign the late 20s/early 30s players who are in form so there is no fear in us losing them. 

I understand that may not be sustainable forever but neither is gambling our youths/valuable players will actually go for good money
  • Chunes said:

Shrewsbury, Fleetwood and Port Vale are the only known teams in for Stockton at the moment.... 
    also Ipswich, Bolton, Sheffield Wednesday, Preston (potentially) as far as I am aware. 
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    MattF said:

I agree, I want someone who’s firstly a striker rather than a winger who can play up front.

However given we want one with pace it’s likely have some ability to play wide too. It makes more sense than a pure poacher or another target man.

Another interesting thing about Sam Smith is he’s left footed. He could give both Stockley and JRS competition. Our left winger in Kirk or CBT is then more of a creator, with the main goal threats coming from the striker and right winger.
    Is he left footed? Transfermkt says he is right footed although I have known it to be wrong before.
  • Richard J said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    MattF said:

Is he left footed? Transfermkt says he is right footed although I have known it to be wrong before.
    Yeah he is, takes a penalty with his left foot in his goals video.

https://youtu.be/__8bRVwPS_w
  • Scoham said:
    Richard J said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    MattF said:

Yeah he is, takes a penalty with his left foot in his goals video.

https://youtu.be/__8bRVwPS_w
    Perfect I like left footed players.It gives us better balance.
  • Are there any good swapping opportunities with the clubs listed as being interested in our fringe players?

I like Cameron Borthwick Johnson a left sided defender at Burton for example. Could we make a good trade?
  • Think scullly would be a great signing. Don’t think we can afford him though 
  • edited August 2022
    Richard J said:
    Are there any good swapping opportunities with the clubs listed as being interested in our fringe players?

I like Cameron Borthwick Johnson a left sided defender at Burton for example. Could we make a good trade?
    Always been surprise he has been at Burton/league 1 so long, has decent pedigree coming from ManU, was on their books for a while. 

Remember him playing really well in our 5-3 loss away to Scunthorpe, long drive home that night haha 

certainly wouldn’t complain if we signed him, it’s a shout 

Borthwick-Jackson btw mate