Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• th0rryy said:
    After how much TS has been banging on about financial stability, I cannot imagine him spending north of £500k (or even £400k) on a single player.

Would love to be wrong (particularly for an exciting player), but I sincerely doubt it.
    Why exactly? He’s done it before. 
    I'm not saying that there hasn't been a precedent for it (Kirk was around that much, iirc?) - it was more about my perception of his recent emphasis on keeping the purse strings tight in the business.

I get what you're saying that he has spent (relatively) big before, but the suggestion to me from the recent statement was that we would likely be fairly frugal for the next couple of years. However, I'm also not accounting for any money budgeted, per season, to transfer fees that he will keep stashed away nor talk about publicly.

It could all be smoke and mirrors to ensure other clubs/agents don't take the piss.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Notice the use of the word foward, not striker.

Forward have reverted to what it has always been, any position up front whether 1, 2, 3 or 4 players are used on the wing/flank, centre Forward, Number 9, Central forward, right winger or Left winger, you are the generic term a forward. 

Charlton need the guy who can take up any position in a front 3. We all hope we can say what a goal scoring forward we have here, he could be the strikers we have craved since Taylor and Grant( they could play wide or central during a match) left but miracles take a little longer so let's not say HMS Piss the league until we see if the new player/s gell and can strike.
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    MattF said:
    Mentions Gilbey, JFC and CM could all still go too.

Can see the sense in DJ out and a striker who can play wide coming in.
    We already have enough players who can play wide in the squad

Kirk, JRS, CBT plus Leaburn and Payne who have played there this season already.
    I agree, I want someone who’s firstly a striker rather than a winger who can play up front.

However given we want one with pace it’s likely have some ability to play wide too. It makes more sense than a pure poacher or another target man.

Another interesting thing about Sam Smith is he’s left footed. He could give both Stockley and JRS competition. Our left winger in Kirk or CBT is then more of a creator, with the main goal threats coming from the striker and right winger.
    This.

We have enough wingers/wide forwards  - we need an out & out striker. Someone (like TS stated) who can run in behind defences & not struggle to get into the box 5 seconds after releasing the ball (Stockley)
    Golfie three days ago:

'Swap Mcleary for Stockley yesterday and we would have won.' 

McCleary's Positions:

To be fair, he's been playing up front on his own recently. But that's due to injuries in the squad, not his natural position. 
  • Bowler expected to leave Blackpool for Forest in a £4m move. 

I know their previous manager has moved on, but it wouldn’t shock me if we had some late bids for Kirk.
  • edited August 2022
    SDAddick said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    MattF said:

Kirk, JRS, CBT plus Leaburn and Payne who have played there this season already.
    I agree, I want someone who’s firstly a striker rather than a winger who can play up front.

However given we want one with pace it’s likely have some ability to play wide too. It makes more sense than a pure poacher or another target man.

Another interesting thing about Sam Smith is he’s left footed. He could give both Stockley and JRS competition. Our left winger in Kirk or CBT is then more of a creator, with the main goal threats coming from the striker and right winger.
    This.

We have enough wingers/wide forwards  - we need an out & out striker. Someone (like TS stated) who can run in behind defences & not struggle to get into the box 5 seconds after releasing the ball (Stockley)
    Golfie three days ago:

McCleary's Positions:

To be fair, he's been playing up front on his own recently. But that's due to injuries in the squad, not his natural position. 
    Yes indeed, but in a fluid front 4, with Wing, Wheeler and Mehmeti so he could often pull out to the flanks whilst others went central. 

Which is the sort of ‘forward’ I think Golfie is constantly saying he does not want, even though he was lauding that style of play this weekend. 
  • SDAddick said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    MattF said:

This.

Golfie three days ago:

McCleary's Positions:

Isn't that the point though? Golfie thinks we need an out and out Central Striker, but thinks if we were playing a winger upfront on Saturday instead of Stockley we'd have won - the two points are an oxymoron to each other.
  • Sponsored links:

I know their previous manager has moved on, but it wouldn’t shock me if we had some late bids for Kirk.

Haven't they brought in Ian Poveda from Leeds on loan already to essentially replace Bowler?
  • Will Boyle on loan from Huddersfield would fit our CB profile very nicely,

I'm surprised Forest are interested at that price tag. They only want players that cost at least £20m these days.
  • cafc4life said:
    The club are pleased to announce the signing of experienced defender, Jason Pearce on a two-year deal. 
    Played in league 1 last year so fits the bill
  • Why would WB sign for us after joining Huddersfield this summer and playing for them on the weekend? 
  • Valley11 said:
    Why would WB sign for us after joining Huddersfield this summer and playing for them on the weekend? 
    And going to Huddersfield specifically because it's close to his family 👪 
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    MattF said:

This.

Golfie three days ago:

McCleary's Positions:

And where he played on Saturday. I literally said  "switch McCleary for Stockley & we would have won yesterday". Ie, that match. Not the season or even next week. 

Jeez.
  • cafc4life said:
    The club are pleased to announce the signing of experienced defender, Jason Pearce on a two-year deal. 
    We'll make him redundant from his coaching job, then give him a signing on fee to become a player again...
  • SDAddick said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    MattF said:

This.

Golfie three days ago:

McCleary's Positions:

And where he played on Saturday. I literally said  "switch McCleary for Stockley & we would have won yesterday". Ie, that match. Not the season or even next week. 

Jeez.
    We would have lost. Stockley would have just sat between o connell and Clayden and they would have battered us.
  • Will Boyle only signed a contract with Huddersfield in June so I doubt it’s him. 
  • edited August 2022
    Senpai said:
    Will Boyle only signed a contract with Huddersfield in June so I doubt it’s him. 
    You're right but he's not getting game time. Three appearances off the bench for a total of 30 minutes on the pitch. He played on Saturday, but as an 83rd minute sub.

Maybe they want to keep him in the building as back-up. I'm honestly not well versed in Huddersfield's centre-back depth.
  • mendonca said:
    Fingers crossed therer's more excitement than just one loan defender coming in.
    It’s getting tense - I still believe we can sign an established forward who fits our system - a lot say it’s impossible, it can’t be done, never has  been done - I’m reading comics? dreaming too big and should be happy with a centre back / left sided job lot but no, I’m after the missing link - the final piece of the jigsaw - I’m praying cel cel is wrong and this striker will improve our first 11, not just our squad 🙏🤞👍