Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• I guess this is partly the impact of the change in work permit rules increasing the difficulty of bringing in players from abroad (not intending to start a debate on Brexit).

Another place I hope we look are those that stepped up to the Championship last season but didn’t get the game time they were after. Carlos Mendes Gomes at Luton for example. Went from Morecambe in L2, early 20s and one of the many names some hoped we would sign last summer.

Of course I have doubts about our scouting setup like the majority do but we should at least be looking at a wider pool of players than we have in the last few years. Gallen was on his own before TS came in and it sounded like he was at times signing players suggested by agents. Names like Watson, Gunter, Souare, Arter etc coming in didn’t suggest we had a solid list of potential signings and some of those were only last summer.

The big question is can we pick out the right players, not just ability but personality. With older players including Pearce and Watson going we probably need a few more experienced leaders in the squad.

I hope they don’t push the finding value and potential too far and leave us lacking players like that in the squad. We did that in 15/16 under RD, leaving us with too many younger players who needed time we didn’t have to develop, some from our academy and others from abroad. We might not have got relegated had we had more proven Championship players and fewer young players - the danger is overrating what the latter are capable of when several of them play together.
  • Not a rumour but I feel we may be shopping in league 2/non league or for league1 cast offs. Every good league 1 player or promoted league 2 player that’s been mentioned on this thread as a player we would like to sign or another thread is linked with teams in the league above, top of my head 

Kane Wilson: Watford and Bristol City
    Will Boyle: Huddersfield and Hull
    Jack Tucker: Swansea, Blackpool, Hibs
    Cole Stockton: Hibs, Sunderland, Rotherham
    Panutche Camara: Wigan, Stoke, Blackpool

Seems like players make a jump of 1-2 leagues now rather than do a move in the same league unless they’re surplus to requirements. 

Our scouting team has some serious work to do 
    Same as last year players in league one thinking their better then they are all holding out for championship club .. but like last year lot of them had to rethink and ended up staying in league one .. most of it is down to agents …… all this does it make it more difficult for league one sides to bring players in and have to be patient in getting their targets … sure SG and his team have their targets lined up and will know already if they will have to wait for them and have a deadline when we move on to other targets …. Let’s not forget players will hold out till end of June before making their minds up and the window don’t shut till end of Aug .. so no club will ever finishing their shopping early it’s impossible now days to do so … there still be lots of deals done on last day of window when players are desperate to move plus the price might be lower as well as clubs want to get rid ……one word sums up this time of the year calm … you have to keep your calm.

• Not a rumour but I feel we may be shopping in league 2/non league or for league1 cast offs. Every good league 1 player or promoted league 2 player that’s been mentioned on this thread as a player we would like to sign or another thread is linked with teams in the league above, top of my head 

Seems like players make a jump of 1-2 leagues now rather than do a move in the same league unless they’re surplus to requirements. 

Same as last year players in league one thinking their better then they are all holding out for championship club .. but like last year lot of them had to rethink and ended up staying in league one .. most of it is down to agents …… all this does it make it more difficult for league one sides to bring players in and have to be patient in getting their targets … sure SG and his team have their targets lined up and will know already if they will have to wait for them and have a deadline when we move on to other targets …. Let’s not forget players will hold out till end of June before making their minds up and the window don’t shut till end of Aug .. so no club will ever finishing their shopping early it’s impossible now days to do so … there still be lots of deals done on last day of window when players are desperate to move plus the price might be lower as well as clubs want to get rid ……one word sums up this time of the year calm … you have to keep your calm.

It's all very well saying the transfer window stays open until the end of August and we should all remain calm.

But every manager I've heard speak about transfer windows say it's important to get most things done quickly as having the bulk of the squad together for pre season training is essential if you want to hit the ground running. 
    Pre season starts on the 16th of June 
    And the season starts in July. 
    So if we are to learn from last season's mistakes we have to act much quicker than we did last season. 
  • Yes we need to get our freebies done now.
    Any players we need to pay fees for I'd suggest need approaches made to agents and clubs now.

Let's not be there on the 16th June with a threadbare squad again. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Yes we need to get our freebies done now.
    Any players we need to pay fees for I'd suggest need approaches made to agents and clubs now.

Let's not be there on the 16th June with a threadbare squad again. 
    Easier said than done though. 

Let’s say you’re a freebie and Charlton offer you X a week, why rush to accept, why not wait to see if Ipswich or Oxford offer more? 

TS has every right not to pay over the odds and so you end up in a waiting game, especially when you have agents in the mix telling their clients to hold out for more money.

We'll probably be spending a lot of time considering Premier League/Championship Academy cast-offs, rather than spending money on actual transfers...
  • I am still hoping we'll sing Paddy Madden .. AT LAST lol
  • Ladapo to Ipswich is not good news.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2022
    Disappointing, but would he have ever been a realistic target in our price range/wage structure?

I'm pleased we're not signing players without a manager, I'm concerned we don't have a manager and haven't started signing players before now.

Just a gentle reminder freebies can be done outside the window, sure and clubs can be approached outside the window but transfers of contracted players can only be completed within the window.
  • I’d have liked Ladapo but also can’t see how we fit him into a 433. Even with a two up top I’m not sure he’s what we need. 
  • "Not the most clinical"... We'd love him here, his record in League One is little better than Conor Washington.

• edited May 2022
    There was a reason why Ipswich were/are favourites for promotion. 

We knew they would strengthen where the fear is cafc replace.

No problem with Conor Washington going if we replace with better But......

Freddie Ladapo puts in a transfer request in January so his relationship with Paul Warne  was factious after that. Rotherham go up to the Championship and Freddie signs for a League 1 club, even if they are favourites to go up 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Disappointing, but would he have ever been a realistic target in our price range/wage structure?

I'm pleased we're not signing players without a manager, I'm concerned we don't have a manager and haven't started signing players before now.

Just a gentle reminder freebies can be done outside the window, sure and clubs can be approached outside the window but transfers of contracted players can only be completed within the window.
    Several signings for a fee/undisclosed have already been confirmed. They just officially complete after the window opens.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/transfers
  • Anybody know who the talismanic heartbeat at Swindon was last season?
    Did they have a player like that?
  • "Not the most clinical"... We'd love him here, his record in League One is little better than Conor Washington.

Interesting that they've effectively replaced Ladapo with Washington, someone who's probably even less clinical but has more of an all round game
  • edited May 2022
    Scoham said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Several signings for a fee/undisclosed have already been confirmed. They just officially complete after the window opens.

Did I stutter? Those deals cannot be completed until the window opens. 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• I’d have liked Ladapo but also can’t see how we fit him into a 433. Even with a two up top I’m not sure he’s what we need. 
    I think he played for Plymouth and did well in a 433. And Ipswich currently play with 1 up top so I think he would have been good for us if we got the rest of the system right. He suits a possession based high pressing 4-3-3 better than Stockley does certainly.

I think we will be in market for a striker that is a bit more of an all-round striker than stockley. Someone who can also use his feet and is mobile enough to press - Ladapo going to Ipswich could mean we end up with Tyrece Simpson from them or Bonne back
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Scoham said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Did I stutter? Those deals cannot be completed until the window opens. 😉
    Maybe I’m missing something, why is the window relevant? It doesn’t stop signings being announced, so there’s no reason why we can’t start signing players for a fee now.
  • Ladapo is decent but not top class, a good squad player but I'd be surprised if Ipswich don't also look to sign someone better than that as their main striker
  • We were told last season that all the best transfers come at the end of the transfer window, does anyone believe this?
  • edited May 2022
    Ladapo is decent but not top class, a good squad player but I'd be surprised if Ipswich don't also look to sign someone better than that as their main striker

Are we missing some think Killer ?

Ladapo scored 11 in 31 in a team that finished in an automatic promotion position and just the two assists and scored 9 in 42 when in the Championship. Is he all action and never stops working ?

Plus he puts in a transfer request in January when you would hope everyone had the same goal of promotion. 

Please educate because I can't quite see why Golfie Junior is crying ?
  • edited May 2022
    We were told last season that all the best transfers come at the end of the transfer window, does anyone believe this?
    No.*
    I give you Josh Parker an honest lad but no way was Josh even in our normal top 5 that Steve Gallen talks about.
    Please no talk about he worked hard in the play off final.

We need to show we are serious about trying to get back to the championship because at least 6 other clubs are.

*Not for Cafc does it work out that way but at the highest level the mega signings drag on because of making parents and agents millionaires and the myriad of clauses.
  • Ladapo to Ipswich is not good news.
    Their signings from last season hardly set the league alight.
  • We were told last season that all the best transfers come at the end of the transfer window, does anyone believe this?
    Not after last season's balls up.
  • Ladapo is decent but not top class, a good squad player but I'd be surprised if Ipswich don't also look to sign someone better than that as their main striker

Are we missing some think Killer ?

Ladapo scored 11 in 31 in a team that finished in an automatic promotion position and just the two assists and scored 9 in 42 when in the Championship

Plus he puts in a transfer request in January when you would hope everyone had the same goal of promotion. 

Please educate because I can't quite see why Golfie Junior is crying ?
    With Ipswich's budget, you'd assume the missing link for them is the 25 goals a season striker that most promoted teams have, such as a Will Keane, Charlie Wyke or Clarke-Harris