Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Options
    I’d take Pigott, he was one of the best strikers in the league comfortably only two seasons ago, doubt much has changed, probably just joined the wrong team 
  • Options
    I’d take Pigott, he was one of the best strikers in the league comfortably only two seasons ago, doubt much has changed, probably just joined the wrong team 
    But was he? or was that a one off high scoring season?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Pigott is a good, technical player who links up play. He's the antithesis to Jayden Stockley. Might be a nice Plan A and the big man as Plan B.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Not sure it's fair to say it was a one off, done pretty well in 2018/2019 too. Not easy to score in a poor side either. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Not sure it's fair to say it was a one off, done pretty well in 2018/2019 too. Not easy to score in a poor side either. 
    Agreed.Goals aside  he looked like a proper all round front man the last couple of times we played Wimbledon. He has definitely grown up. I'd take him.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    It's also easier to score goals when you, and your strengths, are the main focus of your teams attacking play. 

See Wyke at Sunderland the season before last.  They had one plan, get the ball to McGeady and cross if for Wyke to head it in.  If you set the whole team up in a certain way Stockley could score 30 goals, the problem is the rest of the team wouldn't score any.

So it's swings and round abouts in that regard. 
  • Options
    I genuinely believe that the biggest glaring hole in our squad is the midfield.

Control of the middle of the pitch is vital if you want to be successful over a 46 game season. Look at the midfielders at Wigan, Rotherham and Sunderland and compare them to Morgan, Gilbey, Lee...

I would feel confident about Dobson, Forster-Caskey and Fraser playing a part in any of those squads. However if we are going to compete we need three more of equal or ideally better calibre.

There are plenty of other holes: fresh legs and pace for the wide areas, left sided defenders, a couple of strikers... but firmly believe without a top tier group of midfielders who can tackle, pass and shoot, the rest of the team will struggle to make an impact.
    I don't disagree but we only have 5 or 6 places in the squad.  We need to "jog on" some of the current midfielders (Morgan, Gilbey in the main) if we want to up grade there.  
  • Options
    Wouldn't be surprised if Ben Thompson is the first through our door.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Richie Smallwood released by Hull a few weeks ago, he'll probably stay North but would be a good signing for any league 1 team. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Richie Smallwood released by Hull a few weeks ago, he'll probably stay North but would be a good signing for any league 1 team. 
    Might be coming down further than thought, I read that McCann is eyeing up a reunion 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Best comedy name in football, since Rod Fanni snd Anil Koc.
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    Best comedy name in football, since Rod Fanni snd Anil Koc.
    Told you it's a Carry On...

• Options
    Jordan Willis released by Sunderland. Always thought he was a good player at Coventry. Been injured for a year now so probably one we will sign! Before this injury he had played 35+ games most seasons. Would have preferred signing him over keeping Inniss but now we’ve kept Inniss it probably isn’t worth the risk 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    It's also easier to score goals when you, and your strengths, are the main focus of your teams attacking play. 

See Wyke at Sunderland the season before last.  They had one plan, get the ball to McGeady and cross if for Wyke to head it in.  If you set the whole team up in a certain way Stockley could score 30 goals, the problem is the rest of the team wouldn't score any.

Swings and roundabouts to an extent, but you've proven my point. Sunderland were one of the best sides in the division and came 4th with Wyke scoring 25. AFC finished 4 points above the drop zone with Pigott scoring 20. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:

If Stockley scored 30 goals, we could flog him to a Championship team for £5m ........ and spend the money on 2 wingbacks, Joe Piggott  and half a new team. :smile:

• Options
    Wouldn't be surprised if Ben Thompson is the first through our door.
    I’ve rated him for years. Good player for Millwall and a local lad.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61583823

Zlatan out for 8 months after knee surgery, so a perfect Charlton signing...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:

If Stockley scored 30 goals, we could flog him to a Championship team for £5m ........ and spend the money on 2 wingbacks, Joe Piggott  and half a new team. :smile:

And if we get those 2 wingbacks, they'll provide the service for Stockley to score 30 goals... oh wait.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61583823

Zlatan out for 8 months after knee surgery, so a perfect Charlton signing...
    I know you're not serious, but off topic... surely you'd retire?  He'll be nearly 42 by the time he's fully fit.
  • Options
    #bringjonnyhome
  • Options
    #bringjonnyhome
    #itshappening
  • Options
    I can see us going for McKirdy Payne and Reed (assuming Garner does join) 
  • Options
    Swindon fans seem to think Garner will take Mandela Egbo with him. Seems to be a very attacking right back who only joined in March. 

24yo and has already played for Borussia Mönchengladbach and New York Redbulls. Apparently worked with Garner in Palace’s academy. 
  • Options
    I see Marlon Pack has been released from Cardiff. Definitely will strengthen our Midfield and can play the number 10 role as well.!
  • Options
    Williams, Payne, Reed, McKirdy and Egbo… just some of the more obvious names from those in the Swindon squad.
  • Options
    Williams, Payne, Reed, McKirdy and Egbo… just some of the more obvious names from those in the Swindon squad.
    Would like us to go for Tyreece Simpson who was on loan there before Davison. He has asked to leave Ipswich this summer 
  • Options
    Also Kaine Kessler-Hayden did really well there on loan before being recalled and moved to MK Dons. If he doesn’t get a championship loan then we might be able to get him