Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Options
    In light of our pending new manager, what do we make of the Swindon full backs? Seen as that’s what we desperately need.  I know nothing about either anyone shed some light?

One is from London (Egbo, right back), the other Chatham (Landolo, left back).  Both fairly young with a bit of experience under their belts, I think the right back was at palace when Garner was there so obviously someone he likes.
  • Options
    John Bostock is another who has been linked with us many times over the years who has Garner links and is currently available on a free. 
  • Options
    I can see us going for McKirdy Payne and Reed (assuming Garner does join) 
    Sounds like a middle of the road solicitors.
  • Options
    Garner has worked with Leko before as well… I know most would be annoyed if we signed him but I still think in a 4-3-3 he’s a good player and still young. Was probably our best player in Adkins 4-3-3 with 2 goals 2 assists in 8 games, I think in a much better set up 4-3-3 he could be really good again 
  • Options
    Louis Reed sounds like a man worth waiting for
  • Options
    Louis Reed sounds like a man worth waiting for
    Nigel Adkins likes a walk on the wild side
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Not sure signing half of a team that couldn't get promoted from league two will get us promoted out of league one
    No your probably right but we aren't going to sign first team players from the 9 league 1 clubs that finished above us, or the 3 that came down.  Someone like Ipswich might have 1 or 2 that are out of favour we might want but that's about it.

If we sign out of favour championship players people will complain that they are on the way down and aren't hungry or some other buzz word.

That realistically leaves the best of the bottom half of league 1 and the top half of league 2, the best of which will get championship interest.  

I think the pool we are fishing in is a lot smaller than some like to think.
  • Options
    I genuinely believe that the biggest glaring hole in our squad is the midfield.

Control of the middle of the pitch is vital if you want to be successful over a 46 game season. Look at the midfielders at Wigan, Rotherham and Sunderland and compare them to Morgan, Gilbey, Lee...

I would feel confident about Dobson, Forster-Caskey and Fraser playing a part in any of those squads. However if we are going to compete we need three more of equal or ideally better calibre.

There are plenty of other holes: fresh legs and pace for the wide areas, left sided defenders, a couple of strikers... but firmly believe without a top tier group of midfielders who can tackle, pass and shoot, the rest of the team will struggle to make an impact.
    This conundrum is likely to be a tricky call as there are promising midfielders coming through.
    It would however be nice to have a genuine eff off talisman in that area.
    Not sure what string pulling, order barking, effective midfielders are out there we could go for.
    Maybe @Leuth would suggest Gilbey for that role😜
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not a rumour but would love us to sign Nathan Byrne, I think he's out of contract now as well.... but expect championship interest ☹️
  • Options
    Not a rumour but would love us to sign Nathan Byrne, I think he's out of contract now as well.... but expect championship interest ☹️
    Sky said yesterday he had several Champ clubs after him. Good player.
  • Options
    In light of our pending new manager, what do we make of the Swindon full backs? Seen as that’s what we desperately need.  I know nothing about either anyone shed some light?

One is from London (Egbo, right back), the other Chatham (Landolo, left back).  Both fairly young with a bit of experience under their belts, I think the right back was at palace when Garner was there so obviously someone he likes.
    Just to add, seen a lot of comments from Swindon Twitter saying “That’s Egbo gone then”.  Clearly highly rated.  I’m convinced if he goes in for any of his former players it’ll be him. 
  • Options
    mart77 said:
    Sky said yesterday he had several Champ clubs after him. Good player.
    Doesn't surprise me, I liked him when he was on loan with us.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61583823

Zlatan out for 8 months after knee surgery, so a perfect Charlton signing...
    I think he’d slow the high press down 
  • Options
    Mckirdy has just had his long hair cut short. That probally means he will be useless from now on :)  
  • Options
    mart77 said:
    Will sign for Exeter next week then.
  • Options
    Perisic making a final decision on Monday but looks set to sign for Spurs. 
    Probably been Inters best player this year. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Aiden McGeady has been released by Sunderland. 

Was he any good for us? - generally can’t remember. Which probably means he wasn’t. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Stewart said:

Was he any good for us? - generally can’t remember. Which probably means he wasn’t. 
    Okish in the Championship for us, really good in L1 back with Sunderland but at 36 his best days are past him now. Alex Pritchard seemed to take his place in the team as the creative playmaker
  • Options
    Stewart said:

Okish in the Championship for us, really good in L1 back with Sunderland but at 36 his best days are past him now. Alex Pritchard seemed to take his place in the team as the creative playmaker
    I'm sorry but you've lost me, what's one of those 
  • Options
    Perisic making a final decision on Monday but looks set to sign for Spurs. 
    Probably been Inters best player this year. 
    Surprising if so, unless it means a change in formation at Spuds, he'll be second fiddle to Son otherwise.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Stewart said:

He was okay but not brilliant.I think it is too his credit as a loanee that he returned during lockdown rather than sit at home with his family taking his money. If his shot at Birmingham had sneaked in rather than hit a post thus keeping us up I suspect he would have been more fondly remembered. 

This is a academic because I suspect he will move back to Scotland. 
    Okay is being polite in my opinion. I remember one decent cross and that's it. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    McGeady was completely anonymous 
    100%, that is why Stewart cannot remember him
  • Options
    Not a rumour but I feel we may be shopping in league 2/non league or for league1 cast offs. Every good league 1 player or promoted league 2 player that’s been mentioned on this thread as a player we would like to sign or another thread is linked with teams in the league above, top of my head 

Kane Wilson: Watford and Bristol City
    Will Boyle: Huddersfield and Hull
    Jack Tucker: Swansea, Blackpool, Hibs
    Cole Stockton: Hibs, Sunderland, Rotherham
    Panutche Camara: Wigan, Stoke, Blackpool

Seems like players make a jump of 1-2 leagues now rather than do a move in the same league unless they’re surplus to requirements. 

Our scouting team has some serious work to do 
    Certainly last season one of the problems seems to have been underestimating the amount of competition we'd have for our first choices and ended up going for option D or E.

Not to say we should aim low and be happy about it but there needs to be some pragmatism involved if we don't want another last week/day/minute scramble.