Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Stockley did get 20 goals despite missing a large chunk of the season with an injury and was exceptional defending set pieces and corners

Really don’t know what some people on here want from a league one striker if he was the complete striker he would be a premier league player 
    Only 13 in the league though. 4 goals in the FA Cup against Havant and Gateshead, and 3 in the Pizza Cup
  • Leuth said:
    Stockley MIGHT still work in a 4-3-3, if everyone either side of and behind him somehow compensate for his lack of movement or touch
    Millar and Gilbey made Stockley effective last season and Gilbey is hardly Pele is he.  Either Millar was exceptional, generational even, or subtle tactical changes make a massive difference......
  • edited June 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:
    Stockley MIGHT still work in a 4-3-3, if everyone either side of and behind him somehow compensate for his lack of movement or touch
    Millar and Gilbey made Stockley effective last season and Gilbey is hardly Pele is he.  Either Millar was exceptional, generational even, or subtle tactical changes make a massive difference......
    Was that not when Bowyer was playing that lopsided diamond rather than a 433? I can only remember Stockley playing the lone striker role under Adkins and he was useless. 
  • Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:
    Was that not when Bowyer was playing that lopsided diamond rather than a 433? I can only remember Stockley playing the lone striker role under Adkins and he was useless. 
    The fag end of last season, I thought Stockley was pretty good.
  • Do I recall a previous link or rumour for Tobi Omole from Spurs? He’s just been released
  • Dizzle said:
    Do I recall a previous link or rumour for Tobi Omole from Spurs? He’s just been released
    He was rumoured last summer briefly. 
  • Dizzle said:
    Do I recall a previous link or rumour for Tobi Omole from Spurs? He’s just been released
    These are the types of signings we should be making imo. Young and hungry players who have a good base technical level from being in a prem academy, who can then be coached to be even better. 
  • There’s some proper weird fans on here. 
    Yes let’s get rid of the 20 goal striker who grafts. 
    It’s the same mob who wanted JJ gone (should have been given a longer shot with pre season imo) and Washington (a Garry Nelson grafter who scored)
    I swear loads of you have never actually played the game.
  • Valley11 said:
    There’s some proper weird fans on here. 
    It’s the same mob who wanted JJ gone (should have been given a longer shot with pre season imo) and Washington (a Garry Nelson grafter who scored)
    You need a Venn diagrams mate, not everyone fits into your little boxes.

But maybe we should have just kept everything from last season because it was working so well.  Don't you think?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2022
    Valley11 said:
    Silly post. I was a big supporter of both Jacko and Washington while not being totally convinced that Stockley is the answer.

He tries hard but he’s not particularly difficult to defend against in open play. He’s liable to the odd tantrum as well when he doesn’t get his way.

If you’d given me the choice to keep Washington or Stockley this summer, I’d have picked Washington.
  • Really can't see Stockley going, it would take 2 million plus bid, but I can't see a club paying that. Stockley might want to go, which then might force our hands a little bit. 

Going to be a number of players unhappy at the moment, a few clearly had a good relationship with Jacko. And with the lack of ambition at the moment they might be looking to get away!

• Valley11 said:
    13 goals*, the 7 goals in cup games do not count as a) they didn’t effect our season and b) were essentially stat padding against non league competition. 

He barely runs and when he does he’s slow, he can’t control the ball, he can’t pass the ball, his finishing isn’t all that, he can’t link play other than an occasional knockdown, he makes us play slower and one dimensional, he can’t play on his own up top (unlike Chuks), he is wasteful and moany. 

This is coming from someone who likes him btw. Jayden Stockley as a bench option for a different approach, fine, as the main number 9? No chance. Isn’t anywhere near the level of Yann or Taylor who got us promoted out of this league. 

Forget all this grafter noise, I can’t stand watching footballers with low ability week in week out and it’s ok cause they try a bit. Exactly why we are a mid table league one club 
    You're describing Stockley at though he's a complete donkey, a cross between Mike Small and Mark McCammon. He got 20 goals in a season (yes cup goals do count) and he missed about 2-3 months of it. Even if you're not counting cup goals he got 13 in 28 league starts.

If he hadn't been injured there's a very good chance he'd have got 25+ and been our highest goalscorer in a season since Mendonca in 98.

No one is saying he's as good as Yann or Taylor, but if he's as bad as you describe then why is he (allegedly) wanted by the side who finished 4th in the table?
    Because Darren Moore probably also hasn’t checked to see that 7 of his 20 have come against pub teams 
  • Valley11 said:
    13 goals*, the 7 goals in cup games do not count as a) they didn’t effect our season and b) were essentially stat padding against non league competition. 

He barely runs and when he does he’s slow, he can’t control the ball, he can’t pass the ball, his finishing isn’t all that, he can’t link play other than an occasional knockdown, he makes us play slower and one dimensional, he can’t play on his own up top (unlike Chuks), he is wasteful and moany. 

This is coming from someone who likes him btw. Jayden Stockley as a bench option for a different approach, fine, as the main number 9? No chance. Isn’t anywhere near the level of Yann or Taylor who got us promoted out of this league. 

Forget all this grafter noise, I can’t stand watching footballers with low ability week in week out and it’s ok cause they try a bit. Exactly why we are a mid table league one club 
    You're describing Stockley at though he's a complete donkey, a cross between Mike Small and Mark McCammon. He got 20 goals in a season (yes cup goals do count) and he missed about 2-3 months of it. Even if you're not counting cup goals he got 13 in 28 league starts.

If he hadn't been injured there's a very good chance he'd have got 25+ and been our highest goalscorer in a season since Mendonca in 98.

No one is saying he's as good as Yann or Taylor, but if he's as bad as you describe then why is he (allegedly) wanted by the side who finished 4th in the table?
    Because Darren Moore probably also hasn’t checked to see that 7 of his 20 have come against pub teams 
    Still got to put them in the back of the net... It was proven in the season we was piss poor when he didn't play, not only in attack but in defence as well. 

• edited June 2022
    Valley11 said:

Darren Moore would not check these things. It would be the young analyst at Sheffield Wednesday with the Black Box and the latest download of Football Manager, that would put it on an excel spreadsheet 
  • Valley11 said:

And the 13 in 28 starts in the league in a rubbish team that in many games created very little?
  • edited June 2022
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Really can't see Stockley going, it would take 2 million plus bid, but I can't see a club paying that. Stockley might want to go, which then might force our hands a little bit. 

Going to be a number of players unhappy at the moment, a few clearly had a good relationship with Jacko. And with the lack of ambition at the moment they might be looking to get away!

Lack of ambition? Isn't it more the case that we haven't had the right team in place to achieve promotion, so we need some upgrades  in the coming weeks.

Yes the players certainly looked a happy bunch playing under Jacko at first. Can't say it looked that way later on. Those who are unhappy might want to see who's coming in before handing in transfer requests. Not heard of any made as yet!
  • My comment was firmly tongue in cheek btw regarding Darren Moore!

I do however think Stockley isn’t the answer to how our owner and potential new manager wants to play is all. It’s just my opinion on him as a footballer and if he’s a Charlton player next season I’ll be ok with that obviously 
  • Sponsored links:

• Valley11 said:

And the 13 in 28 starts in the league in a rubbish team that in many games created very little?
    For 5 of those goals he scored in individual games we lost anyway.. 

I just don’t think his goal return was all that and it’s a bit stat padded, you rate him I think we can do a tad better, all there is to it really 
  • Valley11 said:

I just don’t think his goal return was all that and it’s a bit stat padded, you rate him I think we can do a tad better, all there is to it really 
    I’d love us to find another Yann or Taylor, who could that realistically be? Stockton is the only suggestion I’ve seen.
  • Valley11 said:

That's the issue though. Would we get better?

Stockley is an ok league one striker, he's not Lewandowski so obviously we could do better. But does anyone have faith we would actually go out there and get a better striker? I don't. As well as the fact it doesn't send out a great message to sell your top scorer to a promotion rival. 
  • Good on the ball and can pick a pass. Plays like Famewo without the hoof ball? 

Looks good. 
  • Valley11 said:

Stockley is an ok league one striker, he's not Lewandowski so obviously we could do better. But does anyone have faith we would actually go out there and get a better striker? I don't. As well as the fact it doesn't send out a great message to sell your top scorer to a promotion rival. 
    You've nailed the conundrum.
    Stockley is a limited player and he also limits the way we play.
    At the same time he can be very effective at this level and his goal return in a piss poor season isn't too shabby. Not to mention his essential defensive contribution around Mr.Stickonmyline in goal.
    Assuming Garner is in it would appear that Stockley may not suit the way he wants to play.
    If Stockley goes I share your concern about whether we can trust our recruitment set-up to get better.
    But provided Garner gets final pick on who would be most effective in his system I wouldn't cry a river if we got a decent fee for Stockley

• edited June 2022
    Have the guys who are championing Stockton looked at his goal scoring record / it’s far worse than Stockley and he has only really ever had one good season which was last year. Swopping out Stockley for him would be bonkers 
    Was it 13 league goals for Stockley? And how many of those were tap ins, or simple headers?
    It’s easy to think ‘we must hang on to Stockley, he’s our main goal scorer’, but any decent replacement playing up top and as centrally as Stockley is likely to score as many (or more), and provide more assists as well, especially if he had a tad more ability on the ball. 
    Stockton to me looks like a better bet, as does Pigott (based on watching him play a couple of times at the Valley), and I’m sure there must be other candidates. 
    Stockley would be a loss defensively of course. 
    It’s difficult, because we’re used to seeing him as our main striker, but if we can replace him with a better option then he’d be a great weapon coming off the bench. 
  • edited June 2022
    Valley11 said:

It’s not my job to find better. Pay me enough and I imagine I would probably be able to though, as would most people who watch football. I saw at least 10-15 strikers in the same league as us better than him last season, I imagine there’s a handful in the league below and probably a handful in non league. Then I am not even sure if we look at the German, French, Italian and Spanish second and third divisions. 

I refuse to believe there isn’t a better striker than Jayden Stockley we could get, again just my opinion though and in the grand scheme meads sod all cause all of this is out of my control, just speculation 
  • We won’t be signing players from European lower leagues, Brexit makes it almost impossible at our level.
  • Stockley to me another Josh Magennis. Great in the air and will do a decent job at both ends of the pitch, but lacking the all round game of a Yann or Taylor, or even  Deon Burton who was really good in that Parky season in L1.
  • Wouldn’t be at all upset about losing him if I had any faith in our recruitment team getting a decent replacement