Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Dizzle said:
    Do I recall a previous link or rumour for Tobi Omole from Spurs? He’s just been released
    These are the types of signings we should be making imo. Young and hungry players who have a good base technical level from being in a prem academy, who can then be coached to be even better. 
    Ideal and from Welling so local lad. 
  • edited June 2022
    Scoham said:
    We won’t be signing players from European lower leagues, Brexit makes it almost impossible at our level.
    Yup, & it’s artificially inflated the demand for players in L1 and L2. We will never be able to have a summer like the one in 2011 again.
  • Valley11 said:
    There’s some proper weird fans on here. 
    Yes let’s get rid of the 20 goal striker who grafts. 
    It’s the same mob who wanted JJ gone (should have been given a longer shot with pre season imo) and Washington (a Garry Nelson grafter who scored)
    I swear loads of you have never actually played the game.
    13 goals*, the 7 goals in cup games do not count as a) they didn’t effect our season and b) were essentially stat padding against non league competition. 

He barely runs and when he does he’s slow, he can’t control the ball, he can’t pass the ball, his finishing isn’t all that, he can’t link play other than an occasional knockdown, he makes us play slower and one dimensional, he can’t play on his own up top (unlike Chuks), he is wasteful and moany. 

This is coming from someone who likes him btw. Jayden Stockley as a bench option for a different approach, fine, as the main number 9? No chance. Isn’t anywhere near the level of Yann or Taylor who got us promoted out of this league. 

Forget all this grafter noise, I can’t stand watching footballers with low ability week in week out and it’s ok cause they try a bit. Exactly why we are a mid table league one club 
    You're describing Stockley at though he's a complete donkey, a cross between Mike Small and Mark McCammon. He got 20 goals in a season (yes cup goals do count) and he missed about 2-3 months of it. Even if you're not counting cup goals he got 13 in 28 league starts.

If he hadn't been injured there's a very good chance he'd have got 25+ and been our highest goalscorer in a season since Mendonca in 98.

No one is saying he's as good as Yann or Taylor, but if he's as bad as you describe then why is he (allegedly) wanted by the side who finished 4th in the table?
    Because Darren Moore probably also hasn’t checked to see that 7 of his 20 have come against pub teams 
    This.

Stockley is not a "20 goal a season " striker. He got 13 in the league last season. And its the League matches that count. Games against non league teamms or Premiership U21's don't cut the mustard with me I'm afraid. You are judged against your peers. I appreciate he missed 6 weeks due to injury but that's part of the problem - having players who can play 42-46 games a season. 
  • Stockley to me another Josh Magennis. Great in the air and will do a decent job at both ends of the pitch, but lacking the all round game of a Yann or Taylor, or even  Deon Burton who was really good in that Parky season in L1.
    And Josh Magennis has just completed back to back league 1 titles.

In the right team, like Magennis, Stockley could be your No9 in a promotion winning team.  We are about 7 players short of that type of team and its not a route I expect us to go down.

I really like Stockley I think he is better than Wyke but I don't see that he is the best player to lead the line in the system/style we are almost certainly going to try and implement.

If we sell Stockley and it allows us to bring 3 players to both improve us and help implement a different style it's probably a price worth paying.  I am not overly confident in that scenario happening but it makes some sense.
  • Valley11 said:
    It’s the same mob who wanted JJ gone (should have been given a longer shot with pre season imo) and Washington (a Garry Nelson grafter who scored)
    13 goals*, the 7 goals in cup games do not count as a) they didn’t effect our season and b) were essentially stat padding against non league competition. 

He barely runs and when he does he’s slow, he can’t control the ball, he can’t pass the ball, his finishing isn’t all that, he can’t link play other than an occasional knockdown, he makes us play slower and one dimensional, he can’t play on his own up top (unlike Chuks), he is wasteful and moany. 

This is coming from someone who likes him btw. Jayden Stockley as a bench option for a different approach, fine, as the main number 9? No chance. Isn’t anywhere near the level of Yann or Taylor who got us promoted out of this league. 

Forget all this grafter noise, I can’t stand watching footballers with low ability week in week out and it’s ok cause they try a bit. Exactly why we are a mid table league one club 
    You're describing Stockley at though he's a complete donkey, a cross between Mike Small and Mark McCammon. He got 20 goals in a season (yes cup goals do count) and he missed about 2-3 months of it. Even if you're not counting cup goals he got 13 in 28 league starts.

If he hadn't been injured there's a very good chance he'd have got 25+ and been our highest goalscorer in a season since Mendonca in 98.

No one is saying he's as good as Yann or Taylor, but if he's as bad as you describe then why is he (allegedly) wanted by the side who finished 4th in the table?
    Because Darren Moore probably also hasn’t checked to see that 7 of his 20 have come against pub teams 
    This.

Stockley is not a "20 goal a season " striker. He got 13 in the league last season. And its the League matches that count. Games against non league teamms or Premiership U21's don't cut the mustard with me I'm afraid. You are judged against your peers. I appreciate he missed 6 weeks due to injury but that's part of the problem - having players who can play 42-46 games a season. 
    That’s not fair on Stockley, he is not someone who has had issues with injuries in the past. Injuries happen, it’s part of the game. Realistically you’re not going to have your best XI starting 40 odd games 
  • Chunes said:
    cabbles said:
    PS - if any opposing clubs are looking to take advantage of our situation, what a great opportunity this is to come in with a bid for Gilbey.  It would be terrible to see him leave, but that’s football 
    Agree. Gilbey has been at the heart and soul of our performances over the past two years.
    The CL hit mob could have 2 options:

1) New manager comes in and transforms Gilbey.
    2) New manager comes in and transfers Gilbey.

In any case, we'd need another scapegoat PDQ :smile:

• JamesSeed said:
    Have the guys who are championing Stockton looked at his goal scoring record / it’s far worse than Stockley and he has only really ever had one good season which was last year. Swopping out Stockley for him would be bonkers 
    Was it 13 league goals for Stockley? And how many of those were tap ins, or simple headers?

It’s easy to think ‘we must hang on to Stockley, he’s our main goal scorer’, but any decent replacement playing up top and as centrally as Stockley is likely to score as many (or more), and provide more assists as well, especially if he had a tad more ability on the ball. 

I shouldn't underestimate the "tap ins, or simple headers".

These may look easy but in most cases the player has quickly moved in anticipation to be in the right place at the right time - or reacted the quickest for rebound opportunities. Many players don't even read these situations and are rarely in a position to score the "easy" chances.

In any case, plenty of "easy" chances are missed! 

• There will be many high quality signings coming in soon...  Right?
  • Valley11 said:

This.

No guarantees, ever .... with players able to "play 42-46 games a season". 
    Even the fittest, first name on the team sheet players, still get injured. It happens to most players sooner or later.

Even players like Aneke and JFC weren't injury prone until their first major injury.

For example, August 2018 and 2 days before the 1st match of the new season,  JFC ripped his ACL having caught his studs in the turf during training.
    Injury prone, was he - or just rotten luck?

Would you have said Josh Cullen was injury prone? No, of course not - but he still missed a big chunk of the 2018/19 season after freakishly dislocating a shoulder.

The next season, was Lyle Taylor injury prone? Nope, not really - but then off he trots to play for his country and comes back with a wrecked knee -  his long absence went a long way to wrecking our season and contributing to our relegation.

As I said, no guarantees ever that a player is able to play 42-46 games a season.

• Sponsored links:

• Ian Evatt 2/1 next Blackpool manager. Would be a big blow for Bolton if he left.
    Would make a lot of sense him going there as well
  • Ian Evatt 2/1 next Blackpool manager. Would be a big blow for Bolton if he left.
    Ex Blackpool player so passes the Blackpool Life sat nav test.

Really high potential rating in champman99/00 as well........
  • edited June 2022
    I cannot for the life of me understand how people are arguing about Stockley's goal tally. 

His tally is the amount of times he stuck the ball in the net last season. It's irrelevant whether it was a League game, Cup game, whether we won the match, lost the match. You can't deduct goals off someone because they were playing in a cup game. I wonder if Shearer, Owen, Aguero only count goals they scored in league competitions? Should we award him half a goal if its a set piece as its not a proper goal?

As a striker you are judged on how many times you stick the ball in the net and Stockley has proven he has that ability time after time. He may be limited in other areas of his game however that's why he's playing in League One, for a League one club.

Stockley is a proven goal scorer which is really hard to find, hence why a club with a bigger budget than us, and who finished above us last season, is interested in him. I'd love to know which strikers people think are floating around ready to sign for us thag can guarantee as many goals as Stockley.
    Shearer, Owen or Aguero didnt have to add in their "cup games" to boost their goal tally. That is the point. The were all top class goal scorers. If we ever managed to get the 3rd tier equivalent then I would be ecstatic. 

And Stockley isn't a "proven"goal scorer. His best return was with Exeter in League 2. 2 seasons where he got a very impressive 36 in 66. Then stepped up to the Championship where he then only got 9 in 65.......which is on par for an average midfielder. Probably last season was his best overall season (apart from Exeter) when he got 13 in 33. He couldn't really score in Scotland either.

So on balance he is a decent striker in League 1. Wouldnt get you promoted if you were counting on him being your main striker but as part of a striking team of 4 then will do a job. 
  • Leuth said:
    Evatt was a centre-back with Dribbling 19 in Champ Man 00/01. I played him as CAM. I haven't changed 
    It's all making sense now.
  • Valley11 said:

Great post.  Agree pretty much word for word.  Stockley is the sort of player you want coming on to impact games, just like Aneke.  Except as it stands they’re our starting forward line next season
  • Sponsored links:

• I cannot for the life of me understand how people are arguing about Stockley's goal tally. 

His tally is the amount of times he stuck the ball in the net last season. It's irrelevant whether it was a League game, Cup game, whether we won the match, lost the match. You can't deduct goals off someone because they were playing in a cup game. I wonder if Shearer, Owen, Aguero only count goals they scored in league competitions? Should we award him half a goal if its a set piece as its not a proper goal?

As a striker you are judged on how many times you stick the ball in the net and Stockley has proven he has that ability time after time. He may be limited in other areas of his game however that's why he's playing in League One, for a League one club.

Stockley is a proven goal scorer which is really hard to find, hence why a club with a bigger budget than us, and who finished above us last season, is interested in him. I'd love to know which strikers people think are floating around ready to sign for us thag can guarantee as many goals as Stockley.
    Of course it's relevant who he scored against. A striker who can score against L2, NL or even U23 defences in cup games might be dangerous against lower league defences, but ineffective against better defences in the league in which he plays. 

Thus 13 is the figure to compare him against other L1 strikers last season like Stockton, Keane and May
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Stockley to me another Josh Magennis. Great in the air and will do a decent job at both ends of the pitch, but lacking the all round game of a Yann or Taylor, or even  Deon Burton who was really good in that Parky season in L1.
    And Josh Magennis has just completed back to back league 1 titles.

In the right team, like Magennis, Stockley could be your No9 in a promotion winning team.  We are about 7 players short of that type of team and its not a route I expect us to go down.

I really like Stockley I think he is better than Wyke but I don't see that he is the best player to lead the line in the system/style we are almost certainly going to try and implement.

If we sell Stockley and it allows us to bring 3 players to both improve us and help implement a different style it's probably a price worth paying.  I am not overly confident in that scenario happening but it makes some sense.
    Magennis wasn't the main striker for Wigan though. They had Will Keane to score the goals
  • edited June 2022
    Saved a click:

1. Kirk future to be decided - what will Blackpool do now Critchley is gone?

2. Stockley speculation - could it develop into anything more than speculation over the next few weeks?

3. Purrington contract - will he re-sign with the club or is he moving on?
  • edited June 2022
    I cannot for the life of me understand how people are arguing about Stockley's goal tally. 

I think we’re all trying to work out how to improve the side for next season, and examining your main striker is always going to be part of that if you want to improve, isn’t it?
    Looking at goals and assists it’s clear that both have been a bit of a struggle this season, both for the team and to an extent, Stockley. That’s a reflection on our poor play generally, of course.
    I'm not sure if these stats prove anything, but they perhaps show that we were lacking in key areas in terms of creating and scoring goals.
    Stockley's stats aren't terrible, but does his all round play justify having someone as ordinary (stats wise) as your main striker? Or could he do much better with improved service?
    LEAGUE GOALS
    (I left out cup goals in order to compare like with like).
    - Games played - Goals - Goals per minute in brackets. 
    Ross Stewart, S’land   49   26   (167)
    Will Keane Wigan   44   26   (144)
    Alfie May Cheltenham   46   23   (154)
    Cole Stockton Morecambe   44   23   (157)
    Scott Twine MKD   47   20   (203)
    Matt Taylor Oxford   44   20   (185)
    Michael Smith Rotherham   45   19   (211)
    Sam Vokes Wycombe   46   17   (226)
    Lee Gregory Sheff W   38   17   (172)
    Ryan Hardie Argyle   37   16   (184)
    Sam Smith Cambridge   46   15   (204)
    Callum Lang Wigan   42   15   (240)
    Cameron Brannagan Oxford   41   14   (257)
    Joe Ironside Cambridge   38   14   (237)

Jayden Stockley CAFC   33   13   (194)

Daniel Udoh Shrewsbury   46   13   (281)
    George Hirst Portsmouth   40   13   (186)
    Freddie Ladapo Rotherham   31   11   (188)
    Conor Washington   35   11   (235)

These two scored fewer goals but were high in the GPM table:
    [Nathan Broadhead Sunderland   22   10   (125)
    Amadou Bakayoko Bolton   32   10 (147)]  

Stockley's just outside the 
    GPM Top 10. 

ASSISTS
    Again, we hardly feature near the top of the chart. 
    Sean McConville   46   17 (Our top four in the assist table added up = 18)
    Scott Twine   45   13
    Barry Bannan   45   12
    Max Power   43   12
    Gavin Whyte   37   10
    Ronan Curtis   43   8
    Callum Lang   41   8
    Paddy Lane   37   8
    Danny Andrew   39   7
    Jordan Obita   41   7
    Alex Pritchard   36   7
    Declan John   38   7
    Marvin Johnson   39   7
    Luke Leahy   42   7
    Anthony Scully   34   7
    Daniel Barlaser   44   7
    Luke McCormick   40  7
    Ben Wiles   46   7
    Albie Morgan   22   7 (Good return for 22 games)
    Corey Blackett Taylor   27   4
    Elliott Lee   34   4
    Scott Fraser   24   3
    Jonathan Leko   25   3
    Jayden Stockley   33   3
    Adam Matthews   28   2 
    Ryan Inniss  15   2
    Craig MacGillivray   43   2
    Conor Washington   35   2
    Jaiyesimi   33   2 
    The rest all seemed to get one assist including...
    Gilbey 37 1 (Bit of a shocker, fewer assists than the keeper, and he’s an attacking midfielder isn’t he?)
    One assist every eleven games for Stockley.

Apols for the double spacing. Not sure how that happened.
  • sam3110 said:
    Pigott, Stockley, Aneke and Marquis. Step forward our next manager, Tony Fecking Pulis
    I saw TP at Lords yesterday .  I did wonder if he was off to meet TS at the champagne tent