Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• supaclive said:
    If Marquis signs there is no high press coming

And doesnt fit in with the so called " buy young & then they have value if you want to sell them". 

He's 30. Should be buying players around 23,24,25. 

Its like nothing has been learnt over the past 2 years. 
    If we bought a whole squad of players who were 23-25, you'd be moaning we needed more experience!
    I'm just reiterating what we keep on being told.

Youth
    Saleable
    For the future.

But then again, when did Sandgaard's actions match his words. 
    And you’ve interpreted that to mean that every player we buy from now on must be 25 and under or TS is not true to his word on this?

Among many awful takes by you that’s got to be up there with the worst. 

No, not every one. 

But I'd like to see us bring in a young pacey striker, not a 30 year old lump. Start as you mean to go on. 

But hey ho.
    A young pacy striker isn’t necessary the best in a 433 though surely? 
  • Croydon said:
    I don't like Stockley as a bloke or as a footballer but you can't argue with his goal scoring record for us. Would be absolute madness to let him go. 
    A goal every 194 minutes is decent, but you normally find that teams getting promoted will have strikers with better stats than that. 
  • Marquis and Davison up front first game of the season. 
    Can only think Davison is fourth choice (and available if we get a decent offer for him).
    If Stockley *is* sold then Maquis will be the big man up top (and better on the ball than Stockley) so not a total disaster. 
    Then I’m sure they’ll be looking to bring in the pacy young striker we’ve been clamouring for; and one other striker if Davison goes. 
    The next two months will be crucial blah blah. 
  • Not sure how he’s an upgrade on Washington.
    He won't replace Washington. Maybe the plan is for a like for like Stockley replacement that makes us money.

Sell Stockley for ££££, sign Marquis on a free. I can't see a world in which we need all our strikers to be 6ft+ unless the new manager is John Beck.
    Same again then. He’s not an upgrade on Stockley. 
  • Why is everyone so convinced that Stockley is leaving?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Elliot Lee 😬😬
    Not that I really want him but if Garner has been consulted on that to fit in his system then he could be a good player at this level. ‘Being consulted’ is the main thing.
  • Sponsored links:

• supaclive said:

And doesnt fit in with the so called " buy young & then they have value if you want to sell them". 

If we bought a whole squad of players who were 23-25, you'd be moaning we needed more experience!

Youth
    Saleable
    For the future.

And you’ve interpreted that to mean that every player we buy from now on must be 25 and under or TS is not true to his word on this?

No, not every one. 

But I'd like to see us bring in a young pacey striker, not a 30 year old lump. Start as you mean to go on. 

But hey ho.
    A young pacey striker only compliments in the right system. Absolutely pointless in others.
  • I've got a radical idea. Let's see who we sign and how we start the season. 
    Could you find some abbreviated way of saying that?
  • supaclive said:

Youth
    Saleable
    For the future.

No, not every one. 

But hey ho.
    A young pacey striker only compliments in the right system. Absolutely pointless in others.
    If you play 343 we have pacey wide players in DJ and CBT.

You then only need two mobile centre backs either side of Lavelle and two more midfielders other than Fraser and Dobson.

This recruitment lark is a piece of cake.

No wonder even MS can do it.
  • supaclive said:
    Scoham said:
    supaclive said:
    Scoham said:
    supaclive said:

Probably more mobile than Stockley though?
    And?  Still not a high press centre forward!  Or the player to get us out of this division.
    And I shared this the other day in another thread, sounds like his ability or desire to press isn’t an issue.

Agree he’s not the striker we need.

https://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/danny-cowley-gives-his-verdict-on-misfiring-john-marquis-at-portsmouth.588829/

“He tried so hard for the team, defended from the front brilliantly and did great for Marcus’ (Harness) goal, but he missed some chances – that’s the life of a number nine, I guess.
    I will take my own opinion in front of Danny Cowley.

But nevertheless we both agree he's not the centre forward we need, but I fear he IS the centre forward we are getting....
    Says the bloke moaning incessantly that MS isn't best qualified in his role.
    You couldn't make it up. 
    Glad I’m not the only one who sees the irony in pages and pages of posts from people with zero football qualifications moaning about how the people running the club lack footballing qualifications. 
    Because the posters moaning AREN'T RUNNING THE CLUB.

If you call a plumber round to fix a problem you expect them to be qualified to do the job ......otherwise you would do it yourself. 
  • supaclive said:

Youth
    Saleable
    For the future.

No, not every one. 

But hey ho.
    I would say the right system is one that compliments a pacey striker. Anything else is the wrong system. Or have Pep & Klopp got it wrong. Perhaps we can sell them Stockley & Davison & tell them that 2 big lumps up front is the way to go. 
  • With 343 or 433 you do need the wide attacking players chipping in with significant numbers of goals as well. They can't just be wingers who score 3-5 a season, they need to be 10+ goal players. Or you need a midfield full of goals.

Neither CBT nor DJ have been prolific scorers, so it's asking a lot of them to step up.
  • supaclive said:

Youth
    Saleable
    For the future.

No, not every one. 

But hey ho.
    I would say the right system is one that compliments a pacey striker. Anything else is the wrong system. Or have Pep & Klopp got it wrong. Perhaps we can sell them Stockley & Davison & tell them that 2 big lumps up front is the way to go. 
    Don't Pep and Klopp mainly use a front three with the pace coming from the wide forwards? In a 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 or 3-4-3 for us that would be someone like CBT for us rather than an out and out striker like Washington.
  • edited June 2022
    With 343 or 433 you do need the wide attacking players chipping in with significant numbers of goals as well. They can't just be wingers who score 3-5 a season, they need to be 10+ goal players. Or you need a midfield full of goals.

Neither CBT nor DJ have been prolific scorers, so it's asking a lot of them to step up.

Cheers killer.
    Saves me keep saying it.
    I would've CBT in the 3 up top because he can switch to take on the weakest defender plus he can supply lots of assists from either flank but the other two would have to be goal scorers in the 15 to 20 mark. We need a goal scoring midfielder and that person isn't at the club yet. 

• supaclive said:

Youth
    Saleable
    For the future.

No, not every one. 

But hey ho.
    Who is Liverpool's pacey striker?
  • Chunes said:
    supaclive said:

Youth
    Saleable
    For the future.

No, not every one. 

But hey ho.
    All of em... Probably easier to ask who their big lump of a target man is 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2022
    Chunes said:
    supaclive said:

Youth
    Saleable
    For the future.

No, not every one. 

But hey ho.
    Salah and Mane aren't strikers, though. 

Who was the pacey one out of Hunt & Mendonca  ;)

Just saying that is an oversimplification Golfie. The 433 would definitely work with a pacey striker but it's the right type of pacey striker. Washington could definitely not play that role.
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    supaclive said:

Youth
    Saleable
    For the future.

No, not every one. 

But hey ho.

Just saying that is an oversimplification Golfie. The 433 would definitely work with a pacey striker but it's the right type of pacey striker. Washington could definitely not play that role.
    Agreed, I really rated him at this level but if we're going to three up front he becomes a left winger, and he's pretty pedestrian as a left winger. Him and Stockley as a two should easily be one of the best pairings in the league. But Washington likes to drift wide and play on the shoulder and that can't be your focal point CF and he's shown he doesn't quite have the quality or pace to play as a sort of wide forward cutting in and running in behind. 

Best of luck to him. I really appreciated his time at the club. But I think it's long past time that we recruited to a system and style of play and if he doesn't fit that, so be it.

Now, does Stockley fit a slick passing, high pressing, mobile forward role? Er, no. Does Aneke? Maybe. If fit and firing I think he has all the raw tools. But it's that first bit that's the problem.

Davison fits the bill as far as mobility goes, and he can finish. But the problem is his tactical nous is poor and his touch maybe poorer. It's why he at times looked good under Adkins as a lone forward, he could just kind of run around and if the ball got lumped to him and he didn't control it we blamed (not wrongly necessarily) not having someone closer to him. But you saw under Jacko when he was asked to play as part of a two, to drop deep, to link up, he looked bad.

He can, to be fair, finish. And maybe as a third or fourth striker at this level he's alright. Maybe he really came on leaps and bounds under BG. But I struggle to see him being much else, and think it's just as if not more likely we sell him on for a small sum. 
  • SDAddick said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    supaclive said:

Youth
    Saleable
    For the future.

No, not every one. 

But hey ho.

Agreed, I really rated him at this level but if we're going to three up front he becomes a left winger, and he's pretty pedestrian as a left winger. Him and Stockley as a two should easily be one of the best pairings in the league. But Washington likes to drift wide and play on the shoulder and that can't be your focal point CF and he's shown he doesn't quite have the quality or pace to play as a sort of wide forward cutting in and running in behind. 

Best of luck to him. I really appreciated his time at the club. But I think it's long past time that we recruited to a system and style of play and if he doesn't fit that, so be it.

Now, does Stockley fit a slick passing, high pressing, mobile forward role? Er, no. Does Aneke? Maybe. If fit and firing I think he has all the raw tools. But it's that first bit that's the problem.

Davison fits the bill as far as mobility goes, and he can finish. But the problem is his tactical nous is poor and his touch maybe poorer. It's why he at times looked good under Adkins as a lone forward, he could just kind of run around and if the ball got lumped to him and he didn't control it we blamed (not wrongly necessarily) not having someone closer to him. But you saw under Jacko when he was asked to play as part of a two, to drop deep, to link up, he looked bad.

He can, to be fair, finish. And maybe as a third or fourth striker at this level he's alright. Maybe he really came on leaps and bounds under BG. But I struggle to see him being much else, and think it's just as if not more likely we sell him on for a small sum. 
    Good summary of the options. Unlike the other 2, Aneke can actually receive the ball with his feet and link play, Stockley isn’t great with his feet and isn’t mobile. To play on your own you need to be a good all round striker which Stockley is not, he’s very good at his strengths but has very clear weaknesses, unless we play to those strengths he won’t be that effective
  • edited June 2022
    Chunes said:
    supaclive said:

Youth
    Saleable
    For the future.

No, not every one. 

But hey ho.

They have 5 potential pacey strikers. You are getting a number 9/ centre forward who only stays central with the modern forwards that roam. Pacey striker can mean over the first few yards to lose defenders not someone who emulates Usain Bolt. Salah and Mane are strikers than roam and score plenty of goals. They go wide they drift into the box. At a lower level the same as Taylor and Grant did for cafc when they played together for those 5 months. Big strikers like Stockley are still effective in League 1 because the CB are lower Quality. ( And so are the strikers !)
  • Origi was the only Liverpool attacking player who you could call a traditional No 9, and he was very much a Plan B (or even C) sub. Even Firmino, while classified as a striker in Fantasy Football, moves around a lot and often drops deep.
  • edited June 2022
    Chunes said:
    supaclive said:

Youth
    Saleable
    For the future.

No, not every one. 

But hey ho.

They have 5 potential pacey strikers. You are getting a number 9/ centre forward who only stays central with the modern forwards that roam. Pacey striker can mean over the first few yards to lose defenders not someone who emulates Usain Bolt. Salah and Mane are strikers than roam and score plenty of goals. They go wide they drift into the box. At a lower level the same as Taylor and Grant did for cafc when they played together for those 5 months. Big strikers like Stockley are still effective in League 1 because the CB are lower Quality. ( And so are the strikers !)
    Salah is a right-winger and Mane is a left-winger. They're not strikers who roam wide, they're wingers who cut inside. 

Let's not get into a silly argument about whether a winger is really a striker, either. 
  • edited June 2022
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    supaclive said:

Youth
    Saleable
    For the future.

No, not every one. 

But hey ho.

Salah is a right-winger and Mane is a left-winger. They're not strikers who roam wide, they're wingers who cut inside. 

Let's not get into a silly argument about whether a winger is really a striker, either. 
    Mane was a right winger until they signed Salah, then was a left winger and since they have signed Diaz he has been a false 9.

Wingers/strikers are fast becoming redundant terms of the top players, not so much in the case of Stockley and Kirk. 
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    supaclive said:

Youth
    Saleable
    For the future.

No, not every one. 

But hey ho.

I'm discombobulated.
  • Let’s just call them forwards. Too much Football Manager. 
  • Let’s just call them forwards. Too much Football Manager. 
    Exactly, what is a false 9. I would say a false 9 is a 6 and vice versa