Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Let’s just call them forwards. Too much Football Manager. 

Never played football manager in my life but have managed and coached for real and Salah and Mane are strikers/forwards who can turn up any where in the forward line.
    Not being pedantic but they aren't wingers.

Stockley is a Striker/Number 9/centre forward. 

If we play 3 up front next season then we need the clone of Karlan Grant to play in one position, with either Aneke/Stockley central and CBT on which ever side he can exploit the full back.  The new Forward must be a goal scorer in the 15-20 range if we have any ambition of top 6. CBT if not used to waste energy in defensive positions can be a big assists man and I would like to think he could be a 8-12 goal man if he stays fit and his confidence which can be fickle stays high.
  • edited June 2022
    Let’s just call them forwards. Too much Football Manager. 

Never played football manager in my life but have managed and coached for real and Salah and Mane are strikers/forwards who can turn up any where in the forward line.

If we play 3 up front next season then we need the clone of Karlan Grant to play in one position, with either Aneke/Stockley central and CBT on which ever side he can exploit the full back.  The new Forward must be a goal scorer in the 15-20 range if we have any ambition of top 6. CBT if not used to waste energy in defensive positions can be a big assists man and I would like to think he could be a 8-12 goal man if he stays fit and his confidence which can be fickle stays high.

Anyway, my last post on this, way off topic and it is pedantic!

• With 343 or 433 you do need the wide attacking players chipping in with significant numbers of goals as well. They can't just be wingers who score 3-5 a season, they need to be 10+ goal players. Or you need a midfield full of goals.

Neither CBT nor DJ have been prolific scorers, so it's asking a lot of them to step up.
    I can see CBT scoring more if he's given the licence to play as a forward not a wing back, DJ less so but possibly if someone spent a preseason coaching that side of the game into him then he could convert into the role.

A lack of midfield Goals in general is something we desperately need to work on. Whatever formation we play or players we have we've lacked a proper goal threat from midfield since Jackson played.
  • I think Jaiyesimi and CBT need to learn from one another. CBT is good at running at his man, but lacks the defensive nous to tackle. DJ is a pretty standard RM, has pace but rarely shows it, but can cover defensively as needed, but you wouldn't start him at the back. 

DJ arguably the one with more to learn.
  • thenewbie said:
    With 343 or 433 you do need the wide attacking players chipping in with significant numbers of goals as well. They can't just be wingers who score 3-5 a season, they need to be 10+ goal players. Or you need a midfield full of goals.

Neither CBT nor DJ have been prolific scorers, so it's asking a lot of them to step up.
    I can see CBT scoring more if he's given the licence to play as a forward not a wing back, DJ less so but possibly if someone spent a preseason coaching that side of the game into him then he could convert into the role.

A lack of midfield Goals in general is something we desperately need to work on. Whatever formation we play or players we have we've lacked a proper goal threat from midfield since Jackson played.
    I don't think CBT will get that many, he has never scored that much in his career and his finishing was poor last season, I think he only scored with deflections. His end product isn't great, he will probably get some more assists but I can't see him scoring many more than 5. DJ was a clear panic buy, I just don't think he is good enough for a league 1 promotion side

Kirk is our best bet for a wide player who might be able to get good numbers as he has done before and then we need to sign another (hopefully left footed so different to the others) who can hopefully score as well. Fraser can also add goals from midfield and to a lesser extent a fit JFC. I think the new managers success will depend a lot on getting the best out of Fraser and Kirk, as you say we have lacked goals from midfield for a while and those 2 have scored/assisted 10+ at their previous clubs
  • Comparing CBT with DJ is unfair as DJ is a number 10 that Bowyer signed to play out wide.

He had a good end to the season when Adkins too over but then it didn’t work out at the start of this season just finished. We then change formation where he is asked to play in a wing-back role that he has never done before.

Okay CBT hadn’t either but one has an attribute of raw, blistering pace, the other would openly say he is not slow but wouldn’t class himself as a fast player either.

One of the reasons CBT done so well was because players simply cannot cope with his pace and ability to carry the ball forward at that speed. DJ is different and I think if we gave him the chance to play in the position he feels is his strongest, we might get a player who feels he can impact a game when he gets on the ball.

If we were to play 3-4-3, for example, I think DJ as one of the 3 playing off a main striker could work well as he wouldn’t be expected to do the running back like a wing-back and could get in more central positions that he would want to be in. 
  • Where did DJ play for Swindon? There’s a difference between a 10 mainly playing centrally (such as in a diamond) or one of the wide forwards in a 3-4-3.
  • Scoham said:
    Where did DJ play for Swindon? There’s a difference between a 10 mainly playing centrally (such as in a diamond) or one of the wide forwards in a 3-4-3.
    Either a 10 or a winger. I spoke to him at the sponsors dinner and he told me his best position is a 10 but can play wide. He had played across the front line at Swindon but Bowyer specifically signed him to be a winger in January 2021. 
  • Number 26 Centre half for Grimsby good player
  • cazo said:
    Number 26 Centre half for Grimsby good player
    Smith
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2022
    Sage said:
    Comparing CBT with DJ is unfair as DJ is a number 10 that Bowyer signed to play out wide.

He had a good end to the season when Adkins too over but then it didn’t work out at the start of this season just finished. We then change formation where he is asked to play in a wing-back role that he has never done before.

Okay CBT hadn’t either but one has an attribute of raw, blistering pace, the other would openly say he is not slow but wouldn’t class himself as a fast player either.

One of the reasons CBT done so well was because players simply cannot cope with his pace and ability to carry the ball forward at that speed. DJ is different and I think if we gave him the chance to play in the position he feels is his strongest, we might get a player who feels he can impact a game when he gets on the ball.

If we were to play 3-4-3, for example, I think DJ as one of the 3 playing off a main striker could work well as he wouldn’t be expected to do the running back like a wing-back and could get in more central positions that he would want to be in. 
    Is DJ a good enough player for us to adapt to suit him? Probably not. 3-4-3 would mean leaving Fraser out as I don't think he would be good in a midfield 2. It is likely we are going to go back to 4-3-3 so DJ will have a chance again on the right but I am hoping he isn't first choice there
  • wmcf123 said:
    Tbf he suits the 433 system and offers more as a lone striker than Stockley imo. He can pass and play a bit with it on the ground, would be a far better lone striker from what I’ve seen of him, only watched him in person around 5 times mind 
    We don’t have the players for 433.  
    At the moment.
  • Sage said:Sage said:
    Scoham said:
    Where did DJ play for Swindon? There’s a difference between a 10 mainly playing centrally (such as in a diamond) or one of the wide forwards in a 3-4-3.
    Either a 10 or a winger. I spoke to him at the sponsors dinner and he told me his best position is a 10 but can play wide. He had played across the front line at Swindon but Bowyer specifically signed him to be a winger in January 2021. 

Scoham said:
    Did Bowyer ever play him as a winger?  
  • Croydon said:
    I don't like Stockley as a bloke or as a footballer but you can't argue with his goal scoring record for us. Would be absolute madness to let him go. 
    Care to explain why you don’t like him as a person?
    That’s quite a statement slagging off someone who I’m guessing you have never even met?
  • edited June 2022
    Let’s just call them forwards. Too much Football Manager. 

Spot on. 

Some posters seem to want to defy logic just to make a point (mainly against me). To say that Salah is not a forward but a winger is churlish at best.

For the record I was not for or against Washington going. But I am against Marquis coming in as his replacement & would rather have kept Washington. Although I'd rather neither & bring in a someone who is younger, faster & can score 20 league goals. We already have Stockley & Aneke (and Davison if he stays). All big players & none that can run off the shoulder of the defenders. 
  • supaclive said:
    Scoham said:
    supaclive said:
    Scoham said:
    supaclive said:
    If Marquis signs there is no high press coming

Probably more mobile than Stockley though?
    And?  Still not a high press centre forward!  Or the player to get us out of this division.
    And I shared this the other day in another thread, sounds like his ability or desire to press isn’t an issue.

Agree he’s not the striker we need.

https://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/danny-cowley-gives-his-verdict-on-misfiring-john-marquis-at-portsmouth.588829/

“He tried so hard for the team, defended from the front brilliantly and did great for Marcus’ (Harness) goal, but he missed some chances – that’s the life of a number nine, I guess.
    I will take my own opinion in front of Danny Cowley.

But nevertheless we both agree he's not the centre forward we need, but I fear he IS the centre forward we are getting....
    There will never be a better summary of the innate pointlessness of football forums
    That you commented on 😉
  • Croydon said:
    I don't like Stockley as a bloke or as a footballer but you can't argue with his goal scoring record for us. Would be absolute madness to let him go. 
    Care to explain why you don’t like him as a person?
    That’s quite a statement slagging off someone who I’m guessing you have never even met?
    No I've not met him, but as is human nature I've formed an opinion of him based on his on field persona. Not sure why you've taken offence to that, I just said I didn't like him.

According to people on here he's actually a very nice bloke, in which case I hold my hands up and say I'm wrong.
  • I understand Bostock is coming /maybe already done 
    Has he met the manager?
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    I think he was just wide on the right, but not wing back? I reckon we signed him because of how well he played for them at the Valley. He scored a cracking goal with a dummy, turn and shot from near the edge of the six yard box.
  • Bostock has spent the last 2 seasons at Doncaster, where he hasn't even been a regular. Surely we can be doing better than him?

• edited June 2022
    I understand Bostock is coming /maybe already done 
    Oh dear.
  • Bostock hasn’t played much due to fitness issues. Explains why we’re in for him. 
  • Is that our Ex Nigel cast off for the summer