Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• I suppose at least that's next seasons scapegoat sorted already if Marquis signs 
  • edited June 2022
  • So Marquis, Stockley, Aneke and Davison so far for next season.

4 absolutely massive lumps up front.
  • Not sure how he’s an upgrade on Washington.
    He won't replace Washington. Maybe the plan is for a like for like Stockley replacement that makes us money.

Sell Stockley for ££££, sign Marquis on a free. I can't see a world in which we need all our strikers to be 6ft+ unless the new manager is John Beck.
  • edited June 2022
    Notts_Addick said:
    I cannot for the life of me understand how people are arguing about Stockley's goal tally. 

His tally is the amount of times he stuck the ball in the net last season. It's irrelevant whether it was a League game, Cup game, whether we won the match, lost the match. You can't deduct goals off someone because they were playing in a cup game. I wonder if Shearer, Owen, Aguero only count goals they scored in league competitions? Should we award him half a goal if its a set piece as its not a proper goal?

As a striker you are judged on how many times you stick the ball in the net and Stockley has proven he has that ability time after time. He may be limited in other areas of his game however that's why he's playing in League One, for a League one club.

Stockley is a proven goal scorer which is really hard to find, hence why a club with a bigger budget than us, and who finished above us last season, is interested in him. I'd love to know which strikers people think are floating around ready to sign for us thag can guarantee as many goals as Stockley.
    Of course it's relevant who he scored against. A striker who can score against L2, NL or even U23 defences in cup games might be dangerous against lower league defences, but ineffective against better defences in the league in which he plays. 

Thus 13 is the figure to compare him against other L1 strikers last season like Stockton, Keane and May

Stockley is about as much as you can get to a guarantee of 15-20 goals in League One. He is proven at this level, and proven as a goal scorer for our squad. I struggle to see anyone out there who we could bring in who has a similar record to him. Sure there are players out there with better records, but none of them are going to be signing for us.

Whoever we sign would be a total gamble who might end up banging in 25 goals, or who might end up scoring 2. Stockley is proven to score goals and we'd be crazy to sell him.
    I’ve never said we should sell him, just that we should aim for someone better as first choice striker.  Why *wouldn’t* you do that is the question, particularly if the aim is to play faster, more passing based football?
    But Marquis?
  • Can also confirm Marquis deal is done. Someone I know is a mutual friend of his.
    I’m probably in the minority but I think this is a good move on Charlton’s part. Always a pain in the arse when he played against us and scored a few goals. Holds the ball up and brings others into play. Without wanting to sound like Ronnie Moore, I like this signing.
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    Notts_Addick said:
    I cannot for the life of me understand how people are arguing about Stockley's goal tally. 

His tally is the amount of times he stuck the ball in the net last season. It's irrelevant whether it was a League game, Cup game, whether we won the match, lost the match. You can't deduct goals off someone because they were playing in a cup game. I wonder if Shearer, Owen, Aguero only count goals they scored in league competitions? Should we award him half a goal if its a set piece as its not a proper goal?

As a striker you are judged on how many times you stick the ball in the net and Stockley has proven he has that ability time after time. He may be limited in other areas of his game however that's why he's playing in League One, for a League one club.

Stockley is a proven goal scorer which is really hard to find, hence why a club with a bigger budget than us, and who finished above us last season, is interested in him. I'd love to know which strikers people think are floating around ready to sign for us thag can guarantee as many goals as Stockley.
    Of course it's relevant who he scored against. A striker who can score against L2, NL or even U23 defences in cup games might be dangerous against lower league defences, but ineffective against better defences in the league in which he plays. 

Thus 13 is the figure to compare him against other L1 strikers last season like Stockton, Keane and May

Stockley is about as much as you can get to a guarantee of 15-20 goals in League One. He is proven at this level, and proven as a goal scorer for our squad. I struggle to see anyone out there who we could bring in who has a similar record to him. Sure there are players out there with better records, but none of them are going to be signing for us.

Whoever we sign would be a total gamble who might end up banging in 25 goals, or who might end up scoring 2. Stockley is proven to score goals and we'd be crazy to sell him.
    I’ve never said we should sell him, just that we should aim for someone better as first choice striker.  Why *wouldn’t* you do that is the question, particularly if the aim is to play faster, more passing based football?
    But Marquis?
    I was referring to the general clamour to sell him as opposed to anything you said directly. 

Of course we should be aiming to improve what we have where possible, the issue is there is not a chance we are signing anyone with a better goal scoring record than Stockley. Every club with aspirations to get out the league wants a proven striker and they cost a lot of money, which can be seen with the figure of 1-1.5  million being touted for Stockley. 

I don't see us spending that kind of money and even if we were willing to part with the cash there will be plenty of other clubs after the same players who are ahead of us in terms of budget, wages, and having a manager in place. 

I'll reserve judgement on Marquis but I've never been to impressed whenever I've seen him play, the games I've seen him in he's barely had a kick and games have just drifted him by. Perhaps I've just seen him on off day's though. I know he had a decent record at Donny although can't say I've followed his exploits at Pompey to much to know what his returns have been like there.
  • edited June 2022
    Not sure how he’s an upgrade on Washington.
    He's an entirety different player.

Either way it's not done until we have passed the point of "WIOTOS"
  • _MrDick said:
    Can also confirm Marquis deal is done. Someone I know is a mutual friend of his.
    I’m probably in the minority but I think this is a good move on Charlton’s part. Always a pain in the arse when he played against us and scored a few goals. Holds the ball up and brings others into play. Without wanting to sound like Ronnie Moore, I like this signing.
    He hasn’t really been decent since he left Doncaster though and that was three years ago
  • edited June 2022
    wmcf123 said:
    I ask again, how does that fit in with Sandgaard’s insistence that we play high pressing, attacking football ?  I wish Marquis well and I hope he turns out to be terrific , but you have to wonder who is making the decisions.  
    It doesn’t. But if we have him and stockley we have more tall forwards(all of them are tall) and that’s appealing at least. More shithouse wins
  • matt88 said:
    _MrDick said:
    Can also confirm Marquis deal is done. Someone I know is a mutual friend of his.
    He hasn’t really been decent since he left Doncaster though and that was three years ago
    Marquis will come good. Johnny on the spot. 20 tap-ins is fine by me 
  • Tbf he suits the 433 system and offers more as a lone striker than Stockley imo. He can pass and play a bit with it on the ground, would be a far better lone striker from what I’ve seen of him, only watched him in person around 5 times mind 
  • Tbf he suits the 433 system and offers more as a lone striker than Stockley imo. He can pass and play a bit with it on the ground, would be a far better lone striker from what I’ve seen of him, only watched him in person around 5 times mind 
    We don’t have the players for 433.  
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Stockley to me another Josh Magennis. Great in the air and will do a decent job at both ends of the pitch, but lacking the all round game of a Yann or Taylor, or even  Deon Burton who was really good in that Parky season in L1.
    And Josh Magennis has just completed back to back league 1 titles.

In the right team, like Magennis, Stockley could be your No9 in a promotion winning team.  We are about 7 players short of that type of team and its not a route I expect us to go down.

I really like Stockley I think he is better than Wyke but I don't see that he is the best player to lead the line in the system/style we are almost certainly going to try and implement.

If we sell Stockley and it allows us to bring 3 players to both improve us and help implement a different style it's probably a price worth paying.  I am not overly confident in that scenario happening but it makes some sense.
    Magennis wasn't the main striker for Wigan though. They had Will Keane to score the goals
    Wigan played mainly some funky 3421 system with Wyke then Humphrys then Magennis as the 1.  Keane played as a 10 but was their main goal threat.  Hull played a 433 with Magennis in the middle.  Wilkes and Honeyman were the main goal threat from outwide.

We played 433 with Stockley as the only goal threat.  

There is no reason you couldn't be successful with Stockley in either of the above scenarios.  
  • Sponsored links:

• wmcf123 said:
    Tbf he suits the 433 system and offers more as a lone striker than Stockley imo. He can pass and play a bit with it on the ground, would be a far better lone striker from what I’ve seen of him, only watched him in person around 5 times mind 
    We don’t have the players for any formation at the moment. 
  • wmcf123 said:
    Tbf he suits the 433 system and offers more as a lone striker than Stockley imo. He can pass and play a bit with it on the ground, would be a far better lone striker from what I’ve seen of him, only watched him in person around 5 times mind 
    The way it’s going we don’t have the players for 1-1-1!
  • edited June 2022
    wmcf123 said:
    I would argue we have 5 in Dobson, CBT, JFC, Fraser and Clare, maybe 6 if Chuks could stay fit. 

Then again what players do we have the obvious formation for? 

Guess that is why TS has pulled the trigger twice and is going for a manager that has an actual philosophy rather than just getting a nice bloke with a footballing background. 
  • I don't like Stockley as a bloke or as a footballer but you can't argue with his goal scoring record for us. Would be absolute madness to let him go. 
  • Especially if the replacement is Marquis 
  • Croydon said:
    I don't like Stockley as a bloke or as a footballer but you can't argue with his goal scoring record for us. Would be absolute madness to let him go. 
    Plus what he contributes defending corners etc. 
  • wmcf123 said:
    I would argue we have 5 in Dobson, CBT, JFC, Fraser and Clare, maybe 6 if Chuks could stay fit. 

Guess that is why TS has pulled the trigger twice and is going for a manager that has an actual philosophy rather than just getting a nice bloke with a footballing background. 
    Can you really see Chuks playing up front on his own ? Clare at right back, I will give you .  Dobson and CBT, yes , with the right players around them.  
  • If Marquis signs there is no high press coming

• wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:

Can you really see Chuks playing up front on his own ? Clare at right back, I will give you .  Dobson and CBT, yes , with the right players around them.  
    Aneke could definitely play up front on his own. He has all the attributes you need for it. Problem is he can’t start games so we will probably need to sign a new striker to start. 

We also have Kirk who could fit a 4-3-3 if it’s set up better than Adkins 4-3-3 so he might actually get the ball in decent areas. If Garner can get us playing his way then it should suit players like Fraser and Kirk hopefully