Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• supaclive said:
    If Marquis signs there is no high press coming

Probably more mobile than Stockley though?
  • Marquis and Davison up front first game of the season. 
    That's the stuff of nightmares.
  • Marquis is a good signing if he’s going to be 4th choice. New Striker, Stockley, Aneke and Marquis would be fine but if it’s Davison and the other 3 then that’s not good enough 
  • Scoham said:
    supaclive said:

And?  Still not a high press centre forward!  Or the player to get us out of this division.
  • supaclive said:
    Scoham said:
    supaclive said:

And?  Still not a high press centre forward!  Or the player to get us out of this division.
    And I shared this the other day in another thread, sounds like his ability or desire to press isn’t an issue.

Agree he’s not the striker we need.

https://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/danny-cowley-gives-his-verdict-on-misfiring-john-marquis-at-portsmouth.588829/

“He tried so hard for the team, defended from the front brilliantly and did great for Marcus’ (Harness) goal, but he missed some chances – that’s the life of a number nine, I guess.
  • edited June 2022
    Croydon said:
    I don't like Stockley as a bloke or as a footballer but you can't argue with his goal scoring record for us. Would be absolute madness to let him go. 

He may moan on the pitch when balls fly over his head but he is a great bloke and family man and nearly took the title of nicest Cafc Charlton player I have met but Johnnie Williams just shades it.
    I just want to mirror this, one of the nicest blokes I've ever met and I've met him a several times. 
  • Scoham said:
    supaclive said:
    Scoham said:
    supaclive said:

And I shared this the other day in another thread, sounds like his ability or desire to press isn’t an issue.

https://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/danny-cowley-gives-his-verdict-on-misfiring-john-marquis-at-portsmouth.588829/

“He tried so hard for the team, defended from the front brilliantly and did great for Marcus’ (Harness) goal, but he missed some chances – that’s the life of a number nine, I guess.
    I will take my own opinion in front of Danny Cowley.

But nevertheless we both agree he's not the centre forward we need, but I fear he IS the centre forward we are getting....
  • supaclive said:
    Scoham said:
    supaclive said:
    Scoham said:
    supaclive said:

But nevertheless we both agree he's not the centre forward we need, but I fear he IS the centre forward we are getting....
    If we sign him and only him I would be worried.  
  • Sponsored links:

• wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Tbf he suits the 433 system and offers more as a lone striker than Stockley imo. He can pass and play a bit with it on the ground, would be a far better lone striker from what I’ve seen of him, only watched him in person around 5 times mind 
    We don’t have the players for 433.  
    I would argue we have 5 in Dobson, CBT, JFC, Fraser and Clare, maybe 6 if Chuks could stay fit. 

Then again what players do we have the obvious formation for? 

Guess that is why TS has pulled the trigger twice and is going for a manager that has an actual philosophy rather than just getting a nice bloke with a footballing background. 
    Can you really see Chuks playing up front on his own ? Clare at right back, I will give you .  Dobson and CBT, yes , with the right players around them.  
    Tbh mate I can, think at the very least he is tailor made to be a false 9. He is strong, can keep it and when he gets it he makes the players trying to win it back look like u13s. If he could play all 46 and for at least 80 mins, wingers and full backs would thrive cause they would have more freedom. 

Problem is if Chuks could show that kind of fitness he would be top half championship at least 
  • LTKapal said:
    Croydon said:
    I don't like Stockley as a bloke or as a footballer but you can't argue with his goal scoring record for us. Would be absolute madness to let him go. 

He may moan on the pitch when balls fly over his head but he is a great bloke and family man and nearly took the title of nicest Cafc Charlton player I have met but Johnnie Williams just shades it.
    I just want to mirror this, one of the nicest bloked I've ever met and I've met him a several times. 

So you will know that the last thing that Jayden's wants is to go back up north with his young family. If he left Cafc IF not fancied by new manager then Portsmouth in League 1 would be his preferred choice as no way unfortunately for Stockley will Parker at*Bournemouth go for the lad from Poole. (Maybe as a Squad player !)

A big number 9 is a great option to have so it's possible Bristol City could be interested?

*Jayden made his debut for Bournemouth at 16 and Eddie Howe had to get permission from his school as it was exams time.

• supaclive said:
    Scoham said:
    supaclive said:
    Scoham said:
    supaclive said:

I think Danny Cowley, whatever your opinion of him is, is someone better placed to describe Marquis strengths then most people. 

Also, if you look at databases such as football manager his best role is actually that of pressing forward. 
  • LTKapal said:
    Croydon said:

I just want to mirror this, one of the nicest bloked I've ever met and I've met him a several times. 

So you will know that the last thing that Jayden's wants is to go back up north with his young family. If he left Cafc IF not fancied by new manager then Portsmouth in League 1 would be his preferred choice as no way unfortunately for Stockley will Parker at*Bournemouth go for the lad from Poole. (Maybe as a Squad player !)

A big number 9 is a great option to have so it's possible Bristol City could be interested?

*Jayden made his debut for Bournemouth at 16 and Eddie Howe had to get permission from his school as it was exams time.

Bristol isn't significantly nearer than Sheffield...both are nearer than Wigan though :-)
  • LTKapal said:
    Croydon said:

Stockley to Newcastle for £10m. Loose change for them now  ;)
  • Marquis and Davison up front first game of the season. 
    It could happen!
  • Would prefer to keep Stockley, and add 2 more forwards.
  • edited June 2022
    supaclive said:
    Scoham said:
    supaclive said:
    Scoham said:
    supaclive said:

I’ve not seen enough of him or watched him closely enough to know how effectively presses.

Washington presses well but he’s also not a lone striker which is how I expect we’ll line up most of the time.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Ian Evatt 2/1 next Blackpool manager. Would be a big blow for Bolton if he left.
    Ex Blackpool player so passes the Blackpool Life sat nav test.

Really high potential rating in champman99/00 as well........
    Already appointed Simon Grayson … 
  • Elliot Lee 😬😬
  • Sponsored links:

• Marquis is the Stockley replacement, Stockton and a pacy striker in too please, leaving Davison the 4th choice behind those 3 and Aneke used more as a second striker
  • edited June 2022
    supaclive said:

And doesnt fit in with the so called " buy young & then they have value if you want to sell them". 

He's 30. Should be buying players around 23,24,25. 

Its like nothing has been learnt over the past 2 years. 
  • supaclive said:

And doesnt fit in with the so called " buy young & then they have value if you want to sell them". 

I’m not convinced by Marquis either but I’ll be very concerned if every single signing is in their early 20s. Even Roland didn’t go that far.
  • Would prefer to keep Stockley, and add 2 more forwards.
    And he’s very good at defending our corners 
  • supaclive said:

The average age of non loan first team player we brought in last season was 26.

Wigan, your ‘we should be doing it like this’ team after you spent all of last pre season saying that about Ipswich, brought in plenty of players who were 28/29 +.

Could only imagine your reaction last season if we had purchased Josh Magennis for instance. 

But you need to build a squad for a long league campaign, and there is a reason pretty much any manager will talk about the worth of having experience in your side. 

• supaclive said:

If we bought a whole squad of players who were 23-25, you'd be moaning we needed more experience!
    I'm just reiterating what we keep on being told.

Youth
    Saleable
    For the future.

But then again, when did Sandgaard's actions match his words. 
  • supaclive said:

If we bought a whole squad of players who were 23-25, you'd be moaning we needed more experience!

Youth
    Saleable
    For the future.

And you’ve interpreted that to mean that every player we buy from now on must be 25 and under or TS is not true to his word on this?

Among many awful takes by you that’s got to be up there with the worst. 

• edited June 2022
    supaclive said:

Youth
    Saleable
    For the future.

And you’ve interpreted that to mean that every player we buy from now on must be 25 and under or TS is not true to his word on this?

Among many awful takes by you that’s got to be up there with the worst. 

No, not every one. 

But I'd like to see us bring in a young pacey striker, not a 30 year old lump. Start as you mean to go on. 

But hey ho.