Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Clare to me would be a reasonable right wing back, as his energy suits the role
  • J BLOCK said:
    Next season I'd like to see Sean Clare play next to a positionally sound, aerially commanding centre half in a back two. Clare's recovery pace and and his willingness to run the ball out of defence could be a real X factors. 
    Clare is pony. 
    Sorry, but that is very harsh. I don't agree with Santa that I want him in a back 4, but his versatility will be important, particularly with a squad cap. I also think there is a decent player there, whether that's in a back 3 or CM.
    Mediocre at best. No where near good enough for a team looking to be top two, let alone someone good enough for the championship. It's these type of bang average players that weighed us down last season. 
  • Clare started to be responsible for a hell of a lot of goals towards the back end of the season, he's simply not a natural defender. Don't be fooled by the dribbling out with zero pressure part of his game.
  • edited June 2022
    Scoham said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Next season I'd like to see Sean Clare play next to a positionally sound, aerially commanding centre half in a back two. Clare's recovery pace and and his willingness to run the ball out of defence could be a real X factors. 
    Clare is pony. 
    Sorry, but that is very harsh. I don't agree with Santa that I want him in a back 4, but his versatility will be important, particularly with a squad cap. I also think there is a decent player there, whether that's in a back 3 or CM.
    Mediocre at best. No where near good enough for a team looking to be top two, let alone someone good enough for the championship. It's these type of bang average players that weighed us down last season. 
    He’s no worse than some of the squad players Bowyer and Powell had in our promotion seasons.

We need to replace those leaving with first choice promotion quality players. The likes of Clare can then takeover as the squad players and either or move on themselves further down the line.

I’d rather we signed 5 quality players than 10 slightly better than what we have.
    If you ignore Powell's squad,  because the circumstances are totally different, and look at Bowyer's. 

The obvious difference is the quality of 5 or 6 players that we clearly don't have now. 

The other problem is, even with only about 15 players, how do you get the best 7 or 8 of them in the same side?  Can you have a midfield 3 of Dobson, Fraser and JFC?  If CBT plays in a front 3 how do you get a partner for Stockley in the team?  Where does Clare fit in if you have a back 4?  If the answer is Gilbey, what's the question?

Not only do we need the 5 or 6 players of real quality we also need to completely rebalance the squad, even if at the expense of some "better" players because its not fit for purpose wether its 433, 4231, 352 or any other viable formation.
  • I’ve got a weird thing against having two left footers in midfield in the side at the same time. It just doesn’t seem right somehow?
  • JamesSeed said:
    I’ve got a weird thing against having two left footers in midfield in the side at the same time. It just doesn’t seem right somehow?
    I think it's fine, after all in a midfield three you're going to have two players with the same preferred foot. I don't think Dobson, JFC and Fraser work though. I'd have Dobson in front of the defence and then someone alongside Fraser supporting the front three. That player needs to be capable of chipping in with goals. I'd then have JFC as cover for both Dobson and Fraser. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Our owner wants us to play possession based dynamic passing football, it is likely we are going to be bringing in a young progressive manager whose team had the number one stats in the relevant areas in league last season. 

Why wouldn’t we be linked with a player, on a free, who had the 4th highest pass success rate in the league last year, and by all means is a local lad and player we have looked to sign in the past?

Does not seem that out there a bit of business to me. 

Well said... it is not as though he cannot play so why make a scape goat of him before he arrives and plays.
    No one has made Bostock a scapegoat. Having doubts about whether a player relegated with Doncaster who also spent a lot of time out injured would be a good signing isn’t scapegoating at all. We already have two players in Inniss and Aneke who struggle to play twice a week, Bostock would likely be another.
     Your last statement is on the way to making him a scape goat 🐐.  

He certainly plays more regularly than Sick note Aneke. 
    As usual, that's incorrect. 
    We saw Aneke how many times and how many of those were 90 mins  ? 
    Aneke played 31 times last season, which was 6 more games than Bostock. The season before he played 41, 23 times more than Bostock. You have to go back to 2016/2017 to find a season where Bostock played more games than Aneke. 

Admittedly, Aneke does struggle to play 90 minutes but the fact is he impacts games regardless of whether he starts or not. That's the stat that really matters, not how long he plays for. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Clare is pony. 
    He’s no worse than some of the squad players Bowyer and Powell had in our promotion seasons.

We need to replace those leaving with first choice promotion quality players. The likes of Clare can then takeover as the squad players and either or move on themselves further down the line.

I’d rather we signed 5 quality players than 10 slightly better than what we have.
    If you ignore Powell's squad,  because the circumstances are totally different, and look at Bowyer's. 

The obvious difference is the quality of 5 or 6 players that we clearly don't have now. 

The other problem is, even with only about 15 players, how do you get the best 7 or 8 of them in the same side?  Can you have a midfield 3 of Dobson, Fraser and JFC?  If CBT plays in a front 3 how do you get a partner for Stockley in the team?  Where does Clare fit in if you have a back 4?  If the answer is Gilbey, what's the question?

Not only do we need the 5 or 6 players of real quality we also need to completely rebalance the squad, even if at the expense of some "better" players because its not fit for purpose wether its 433, 4231, 352 or any other viable formation.
    'How can you most efficiently make a vein in Leuth's head pop'
  • JamesSeed said:
    I’ve got a weird thing against having two left footers in midfield in the side at the same time. It just doesn’t seem right somehow?
    People think the same when there is two left footers at centre back it’s a problem but if it’s two right footers no dramas. 

I personally don’t think it matters too much, matters more on the wings I imagine where you have less passing options 
  • JamesSeed said:
    People think the same when there is two left footers at centre back it’s a problem but if it’s two right footers no dramas. 

I personally don’t think it matters too much, matters more on the wings I imagine where you have less passing options 
    That's because at this level left footers tend to be so horrendously one footed- historically anyway, so they are hopeless when a player cuts across them onto their right side.  Recall losing to Gillingham with Leuth's mate Naby and Harry Lennon at centre half. 
  • edited June 2022
    Scoham said:
    Our owner wants us to play possession based dynamic passing football, it is likely we are going to be bringing in a young progressive manager whose team had the number one stats in the relevant areas in league last season. 

Why wouldn’t we be linked with a player, on a free, who had the 4th highest pass success rate in the league last year, and by all means is a local lad and player we have looked to sign in the past?

Does not seem that out there a bit of business to me. 

Well said... it is not as though he cannot play so why make a scape goat of him before he arrives and plays.
    No one has made Bostock a scapegoat. Having doubts about whether a player relegated with Doncaster who also spent a lot of time out injured would be a good signing isn’t scapegoating at all. We already have two players in Inniss and Aneke who struggle to play twice a week, Bostock would likely be another.
     Your last statement is on the way to making him a scape goat 🐐.  

He certainly plays more regularly than Sick note Aneke. 
    As usual, that's incorrect. 
    We saw Aneke how many times and how many of those were 90 mins  ? 
    Aneke played 31 times last season, which was 6 more games than Bostock. The season before he played 41, 23 times more than Bostock. You have to go back to 2016/2017 to find a season where Bostock played more games than Aneke. 

Admittedly, Aneke does struggle to play 90 minutes but the fact is he impacts games regardless of whether he starts or not. That's the stat that really matters, not how long he plays for. 
    He struggles to play 25 minutes.  Perhaps he makes up for it by working from home ?😃
    He done a lot more in his "25 minutes" than Bogle did starting. I appreciate you've got a real issue with a player not being able to start, I actually get that, but surely you can understand it's all about what he does when he is on the pitch? Ultimately, that is what determines whether he's successful and whether he's an asset.
  • edited June 2022
    wmcf123 said:
    JamesSeed said:

That's because at this level left footers tend to be so horrendously one footed- historically anyway, so they are hopeless when a player cuts across them onto their right side.  Recall losing to Gillingham with Leuth's mate Naby and Harry Lennon at centre half. 
    The same applies to the right footers though no? I’ve seen players only able to use their right foot, I think cause it’s just the lesser likely foot to use people are funny about it  

An example at my work is if people are left handed they have a stigma about them
    and are seen as weird

you even see it makes it’s way to other examples in life, fork in your right hand you’re weird, watch on your right wrist and people would say you’re homosexual. People are just odd. 

Two left footers is the exact same situation as two right footers. You’d just figure out which one has the better right foot and stick him on the right side 
  • Forster-Caskey used to play on the right side of our central midfield when we had him and Kashi, no problem with it. JFC Dobson Fraser midfield is good for this level, only thing it lacks is probably height so if that is our starting midfield we need some bigger players elsewhere 
  • Old football folklore used to say the left foot is more accurate.
  • Will Boyle has signed for Huddersfield. Was hoping we went for him as we really need left sided centre backs but obviously no chance if championship team in for him 
  • JamesSeed said:
    If one is Dobson and the other is Fraser you have got to have 2 of one foot haven't you?

It's not two left footed players that's the potential problem, imo, it's the spaces they want to play in.  Probably nothing a good coach can't solve but the last 3 haven't been able to solve it successfully.
  • Sponsored links:

• If anyone had any hope of signing Boyle, I am afraid he has gone to Huddersfield.

Nice move close to his parents.
  • edited June 2022
    NabySarr said:
    Will Boyle has signed for Huddersfield. Was hoping we went for him as we really need left sided centre backs but obviously no chance if championship team in for him 
    Another example of a player who may have been within reach ten years ago but with the rise of recruitment analytics and also restrictions of Brexit, these players are being snapped up by teams higher and higher up the pyramid.

Can you imagine trying to sign a player like Wiggins, Stephens or Kermorgant now?

This was the absolute worst time to get ourselves stuck in the third tier.
  • NabySarr said:
    Will Boyle has signed for Huddersfield. Was hoping we went for him as we really need left sided centre backs but obviously no chance if championship team in for him 
    Another example of a player who may have been within reach ten years ago but with the rise of recruitment analytics and also restrictions of Brexit, these players are being snapped up by teams higher and higher up the pyramid.

Can you imagine trying to sign a player like Wiggins, Stephens or Kermorgant now?

We had no chance of getting him even if there wasn't championship interest.  Wednesday would have got him, he was always going to move "home" if he had the chance.
  • NabySarr said:
    Think he started his career there aswell so could be a fan!
  • NabySarr said:
    Think he started his career there aswell so could be a fan!
    I am pretty sure he is a Leeds fan.
  • NabySarr said:

But it’s the same for everyone so no reason we shouldn’t expect to compete for promotion quality signings.
  • JamesSeed said:
    I think it's fine, after all in a midfield three you're going to have two players with the same preferred foot. I don't think Dobson, JFC and Fraser work though. I'd have Dobson in front of the defence and then someone alongside Fraser supporting the front three. That player needs to be capable of chipping in with goals. I'd then have JFC as cover for both Dobson and Fraser. 
    I'd like to see Dobson JFC and Fraser for more than 1 game before writing it off. I think its got the makings of a great midfield.
  • JamesSeed said:

It tends to be more that left footers are rare enough that they're almost always trained as left-sided centre backs, whereas a fair few right footed CBs are trained on the other side. John Terry and Virgil van Dijk are good examples of that. But even so I think that's a bit of a crock, I'd rather have two good left-footed CBs (it's not like the other side of a defensive two is another planet) than two average players playing on their 'better' side
  • JamesSeed said:
    I'd like to see Dobson JFC and Fraser for more than 1 game before writing it off. I think its got the makings of a great midfield.
    I'm not "writing it off", just don't agree it has the potential to be a great midfield. Fraser can score goals but I think he'll need someone also capable of chipping in next to him. We probably also need a bit of energy/presence. Either way, if you're going to play a 3 then we need plenty of options anyway, so need one quality addition.