Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Bostock FFS.
    Watson, Innis, Soaure. Is Simon Jordan recommending these players to us as some kind of revenge piss take?
    What's Vince Hillaire doing these days? Or John Burridge.
  • Jac_52 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Scoham said:
    Our owner wants us to play possession based dynamic passing football, it is likely we are going to be bringing in a young progressive manager whose team had the number one stats in the relevant areas in league last season. 

Why wouldn’t we be linked with a player, on a free, who had the 4th highest pass success rate in the league last year, and by all means is a local lad and player we have looked to sign in the past?

Does not seem that out there a bit of business to me. 

Watson probably had a good passing accuracy rate, at least in 20/21. That's one aspect of a midfielders game, what about the rest of it? We have a limited number of spaces under the squad cap, we need to improve on Morgan, Gilbey etc, not add another decent squad player.
    I wish there was a stat that took into account where the pass went. I don’t care if someone has a pass completion percentage of 98% if the vast majority are sideways or backwards. 
    Players with the most assists may not have great pass completion stats because they’re going for the defence splitting pass that might well be intercepted but if not could lead to a goal.
    Pass completion stats are pretty meaningless on their own. 

There is actually, it's called Packing. I assume it's available to us or something similar on whatever scouting platforms we use. 

https://statsbomb.com/articles/soccer/unpacking-packing/
    Interesting (and quite complicated).  The article ends ‘ Is Packing the future of football analytics? Generously speaking, maybe in spirit, but probably not in practice.’
    Bottom line for me is that I’d much rather have players watched, than pay *too* much attention to stats. You’d certainly hope, or even assume, that if Charlton are using stats to find talent then they’re following up by watching the players concerned actually playing a few games. They have to be. 
  • Kips said:
    Scoham said:
    I'd favour Cal the fucking Dragon over Bostock.

At last a player with fire in his Belly.
  • Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Our owner wants us to play possession based dynamic passing football, it is likely we are going to be bringing in a young progressive manager whose team had the number one stats in the relevant areas in league last season. 

Why wouldn’t we be linked with a player, on a free, who had the 4th highest pass success rate in the league last year, and by all means is a local lad and player we have looked to sign in the past?

Watson probably had a good passing accuracy rate, at least in 20/21. That's one aspect of a midfielders game, what about the rest of it? We have a limited number of spaces under the squad cap, we need to improve on Morgan, Gilbey etc, not add another decent squad player.
    Ah but last summer we signed Dobson because he had the second most tackles in the league, despite only playing half a season.

It's a bloody awful reason to sign a player, the fact he turned out well is more luck than judgement.
    That’s the story on why we signed Dobson but it won’t be all we looked at, surely? We didn’t watch any videos of his performances, didn’t look at other stats on his passing, distance covered, interceptions, speak to people to understand his personality etc?
    I would like to think we didn’t, but I was being sarcastic.
  • This isn’t an obsession with an ex-player as I thought we were right to release him at the time but I wonder if Garner brings Jonny Williams with him. Important player for Swindon last season and Garner was raving about him on that podcast interview. 
    If we were aiming for any Swindon midfielders I would hope it would be Louis Reed or Jack Payne. We know the problem with Williams unless it can be managed
  • Linked with a Brighton player called Marc Leonard. Rumour from Brighton forum I think.
  • This isn’t an obsession with an ex-player as I thought we were right to release him at the time but I wonder if Garner brings Jonny Williams with him. Important player for Swindon last season and Garner was raving about him on that podcast interview. 
    If we were aiming for any Swindon midfielders I would hope it would be Louis Reed or Jack Payne. We know the problem with Williams unless it can be managed
    The right back Egbo seemed to get some decent reviews last season. London lad as well (ex-Palace).
  • Would be happy with Bostock on a free. Remember him completely running the show when he has played against us in the past.

Garner plays possession football so this sounds a good fit…..if we can get his fitness right over the summer.
  • Jack Payne was offered to us last season..
  • Sponsored links:

The right back Egbo seemed to get some decent reviews last season. London lad as well (ex-Palace).
    Great going forwards in those play off games, can’t say much about his defending though 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Scoham said:

I wish there was a stat that took into account where the pass went. I don’t care if someone has a pass completion percentage of 98% if the vast majority are sideways or backwards. 
    Players with the most assists may not have great pass completion stats because they’re going for the defence splitting pass that might well be intercepted but if not could lead to a goal.
    Pass completion stats are pretty meaningless on their own. 
    Exactly, the 2 premier league players with the highest pass completion % last season were Laporte and Dias. I'd guess that the vast majority of those were to each other, Ederson or one of the full backs. Obviously you still need to keep the ball as otherwise every defender would have a similar % but ultimately it doesn't mean a huge deal as a standalone figure.
    You're right, and it's generally worth noting that no statistic has any value without context. Stockley's 20 goal season included 7 goals in the pizza cup and against non-league teams in the FA Cup. It also included a long period of injury and a period where he was playing in potentially the worst performing Charlton side ever and barely saw the ball. None of that comes through in the number and ultimately it's still debatable whether his tally constitutes a good or a bad season. I think something that made Dobson stand out in the data was that he had the highest rate of tackles in the league despite only playing half the season. From there he was judged to be a good signing, but then he wasn't valued by his first Charlton manager who wanted a passer not a tackler, then played under his second manager and didn't have a bad game for him. Hopefully we're figuring out a bit of consistency in our approach going forward
  • edited June 2022
    Some good points made by Gary Manilow  above but just to correct one thing:
    George Dobson played 38 League games not half last season and we have JJ to thank for that as he gave George so much confidence and believed in him.

Also for addick 1956, Chuks Aneke was available for 36 out of 46 matches in the season before he had the short time at Birmingham.

I find it unusual that Aneke prefers to start on the bench and be an impact sub. I can't be the only person who heard that from the dressing room.
  • Wouldn't be against Bostock as a squad player , someone that I think came very close to signing before but Toulouse pulled the plug. Obviously doubts about his injury record but we have to have one injury prone signing per window it seems. 
  • Some good points made by Gary Manilow  above but just to correct one thing:
    George Dobson played 38 League games not half last season and we have JJ to thank for that as he gave George so much confidence and believed in him.

Also for addick 1956, Chuks Aneke was available for 36 out of 46 matches in the season before he had the short time at Birmingham.

I find it unusual that Aneke prefers to start on the bench and be an impact sub. I can't be the only person who heard that from the dressing room.
    The stats being referred to are from the 20/21 season where Dobson played 29 league games for Sunderland and AFC. 

Whilst obviously it's not the norm, to be honest as long as the player is effective and scores goals i don't personally mind if he starts and plays 60 minutes or comes on for 30. If the manager and Aneke himself agree that an impact sub is the best way to get the best performance out of him then so be it. Not many teams in league one will have subs as good as him.

And of course we're back to 5 subs next season, so there's a bigger opportunity for a 'super sub' role than if we were only allowed 3.
  • Scoham said:

Well said... it is not as though he cannot play so why make a scape goat of him before he arrives and plays.
    No one has made Bostock a scapegoat. Having doubts about whether a player relegated with Doncaster who also spent a lot of time out injured would be a good signing isn’t scapegoating at all. We already have two players in Inniss and Aneke who struggle to play twice a week, Bostock would likely be another.
     Your last statement is on the way to making him a scape goat 🐐.  

He certainly plays more regularly than Sick note Aneke. 
    It’s based on how often he played last season. Unlike your scapegoating of Aneke 🙂

Whilst obviously it's not the norm, to be honest as long as the player is effective and scores goals i don't personally mind if he starts and plays 60 minutes or comes on for 30. If the manager and Aneke himself agree that an impact sub is the best way to get the best performance out of him then so be it. Not many teams in league one will have subs as good as him.

And of course we're back to 5 subs next season, so there's a bigger opportunity for a 'super sub' role than if we were only allowed 3.
    Agreed. I'd much rather have Aneke available for 40 games, even if he can only start 4-5, then someone like Inniss who you know is going to be missing for multiple games every season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Wouldn't be against Bostock as a squad player , someone that I think came very close to signing before but Toulouse pulled the plug. Obviously doubts about his injury record but we have to have one injury prone signing per window it seems. 
    I'm personally not up for 'squad players' tbh. With a 21 man squad next season it may be better if everyone was fighting for a first team place and we didn't have players hanging around as backups. 
    The players we have need to be the squad players, those coming in should be an improvement on them of we want to get anywhere.
  • Chunes said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Wouldn't be against Bostock as a squad player , someone that I think came very close to signing before but Toulouse pulled the plug. Obviously doubts about his injury record but we have to have one injury prone signing per window it seems. 
    I'm personally not up for 'squad players' tbh. With a 21 man squad next season it may be better if everyone was fighting for a first team place and we didn't have players hanging around as backups. 
    The players we have need to be the squad players, those coming in should be an improvement on them of we want to get anywhere.
    Especially in midfield. Absolutely no point in signing Bostock as a squad player when you've got Morgan and Gilbey. If we sign a CM it's got to be someone who can play with Dobson and Fraser. I'd like to see Joe Powell who is good mates with Dobson I believe but not sure it will happen. 

You are preaching to the converted with me.
    Chuck's Aneke can score a goal every 100 minutes of play in League 1 and with better service I can't see why that can't be a goal every 90 minutes. If Aneke didn't have issues with his body we wouldn't have got him back. I thought he played the whole match on his first two games back which didn't help.

Others have already said that's from the season before.

But only part of the reason isn't it.  The change of shape from 2 holding 1 more advanced to 1 holding and 2 more advanced massively played to Dobson's strengths.  Whether it's clarity and responsibility or something else he is much better on his own.  The worst game I saw Dobson have under Jackson was the one when JFC started as well and kept encroaching in Dobson's space.  

One of his poor performances under Adkins started when he made a mistake because he didn't know whether to make the challenge or not.  Under Jackson he had the clarity to go because there was no one else to do it.

Poor management by Adkins or a player signed for a roll he wasn't suited for?  We will find out if he is tried in a double pivot again.  Hopefully he won't be because we need to play our best players in the right roles, we don't have enough of them not to.
  • Shows how much football has changed when you can sign & be heavily linked to players even without a manager.
  • Backup players are definitely what's needed for our amazing squad , can't imagine we need to improve at all. 
  • I believe I'm the first person to say this ( the 3 goals conceded were the only talking points) but George Dobson in that Morecambe game was pushed forward after the cock up of our third goal conceded and had two chargers forward ( he had scored a couple of weeks before) and again showed another side of his game. 
    Rice has developed his game from just being a holding midfielder and at League 1 level so could George. The choice of formation will be down to the new manager and also where to play Sean Clare or will he continue to fill in where the latest injury has occured.
  • edited June 2022
    Next season I'd like to see Sean Clare play next to a positionally sound, aerially commanding centre half in a back two. Clare's recovery pace and and his willingness to run the ball out of defence could be real X factors. 
  • Alex has joined the Wombles so I very much doubt they will also sign Jason......